• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I think I have all 31 movies for my 31 Days of Horror this year picked out.

I didn't end up going with a theme, but the list is heavy on the 70s and very, very European. I kind of had to force myself to put a few recent movies and some non-European stuff.

I still need to get a hold of a couple of the movies (mostly the films I'll be watching in tribute to all the horror icons who passed away this year), but overall I'm quite happy with my selections after trimming it down, and I'm really looking forward to it.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Watched High Tension for the first time since it was on Prime.
Didn't expect it to be that gruesome but then again I had no idea what I expected lol.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think I have all 31 movies for my 31 Days of Horror this year picked out.

I didn't end up going with a theme, but the list is heavy on the 70s and very, very European. I kind of had to force myself to put a few recent movies and some non-European stuff.

I still need to get a hold of a couple of the movies (mostly the films I'll be watching in tribute to all the horror icons who passed away this year), but overall I'm quite happy with my selections after trimming it down, and I'm really looking forward to it.
I'm doing my best to factor in classics I haven't seen this time around. I have An American Werewolf in London and the old Pet Semetary so far. Gonna try to snag The Lost Boys from somewhere too

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
So I have heard mixed stuff about Halloween III: Season of the Witch, some people praise it, some don't like it. I am wondering if it's worth checking out or if that movie is just a waste of time. I have seen all the Halloween movies multiple times, except part 3 which I never bothered watching since Michael is not in it. That's pretty much all I know about the movie, I have no idea if Curtis or Pleasence is in it either.

I did the same with Friday the 13th, I skipped part 5 because Jason is not in it. Except I decided to finally watch it 2 years ago and it was alright imo. Like Jason Goes To Hell is definitely worse. Also lmao at the guy asking everybody if they want a piece of his chocolate bar.

Would you horror freaks recommend I watch Halloween 3? The fun part about it is that I have seen a chart about the Halloween timeline and it's hilarious to me that this movie is just completely in a category on his own. Not even connected to the original which is weird...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I have heard mixed stuff about Halloween III: Season of the Witch, some people praise it, some don't like it. I am wondering if it's worth checking out or if that movie is just a waste of time. I have seen all the Halloween movies multiple times, except part 3 which I never bothered watching since Michael is not in it. That's pretty much all I know about the movie, I have no idea if Curtis or Pleasence is in it either.

I did the same with Friday the 13th, I skipped part 5 because Jason is not in it. Except I decided to finally watch it 2 years ago and it was alright imo. Like Jason Goes To Hell is definitely worse. Also lmao at the guy asking everybody if they want a piece of his chocolate bar.

Would you horror freaks recommend I watch Halloween 3? The fun part about it is that I have seen a chart about the Halloween timeline and it's hilarious to me that this movie is just completely in a category on his own. Not even connected to the original which is weird...
It's not that Halloween 3 is a bad film. The thing was that Halloween was supposed to be an anthology but Halloween 1 was so popular that they did a direct sequel, then went "okay back to our anthology plan," so when everyone walked in to see Halloween 3 they were pissed because it had nothing to do with Michael Myers, so they ended up canning the anthology idea and just making it about him. That's why his death in the 2nd one seems so definitive.

Knowing this going in will probably allow you to enjoy the film a bit more

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed H3, and I saw it for the first time last year. Give it a shot. Just go into it knowing that it has nothing to do with the other films

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I'm doing my best to factor in classics I haven't seen this time around. I have An American Werewolf in London and the old Pet Semetary so far. Gonna try to snag The Lost Boys from somewhere too

Sounds like you're in for a real treat then. An American Werewolf is fantastic. A real classic that still holds up today. Pet Sematary's good too. I revisited it a couple of years ago and was surprised how well some of it aged. It's definitely better than the new one. I haven't seen Lost Boys in ages, but it's another solid one.

I don't have any of the big classics that I've missed on my list this year as my picks are a little more obscure. I went for more "this looks like it'll be fun" rather than critical acclaim. It may bite me in the ass, but at least they should be fun to talk about.
I do have a couple of films that come up in conversation every once in a while that are maybe considered classics?... Eyes Without a Face and Alice, Sweet Alice. Those are probably the "biggest" titles on my list, with the exception of the Suspiria remake. I'm a huge Italian horror fan so I'm very curious what they did with it, but I've avoided seeing it so far for whatever reason.

I highly recommend Halloween III. It's a ton of fun. Just consider it "Season of the Witch" and not "Halloween III" and you'll be fine.
It's hugely original, super weird, has a great ending, and stars the fantastic Tom Atkins, who imo is a true horror icon.
I honestly wish they kept up the horror movies that take place on Halloween anthology idea instead of all the awful Mikey sequels.

Last edited:

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
The scariest thing about Halloween 3 is how a young Stacey Nelkin somehow falls in love with Tom Atkins.
It's alright otherwise. Warmed up to it over time and after a re-watch.

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
I do have a couple of films that come up in conversation every once in a while that are maybe considered classics?... Eyes Without a Face and Alice, Sweet Alice. Those are probably the "biggest" titles on my list, with the exception of the Suspiria remake. I'm a huge Italian horror fan so I'm very curious what they did with it, but I've avoided seeing it so far for whatever reason.
Eyes Without a Face is brilliant. Certainly not as shocking now as it was in 1960, but an amazing film nonetheless. And Alice, Sweet Alice is a really solid American giallo-like.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Rewatched Possession (1981) with some friends (it was their first time) and boy is that a weird movie. I loved it but I don't think they were quite as into it lmao

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I changed my theme... well several times, but I think this is the one I settled on

Fun N Games
Horror/Thrillers with a focus on some sort of game/competition

The Belko Experiment
Escape Room
Truth or Dare
Ready or Not
Exam
Circle
House on Haunted Hill
Would You Rather?
Die
Cube
13 Sins
Saw Series
Battle Royale
Fermat's Room
Game Night
Are You Scared?

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Conal Cochran is a great villain. He pulled off a murderous prank and Todd Atkins' character was powerless to stop him.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
The scariest thing about Halloween 3 is how a young Stacey Nelkin somehow falls in love with Tom Atkins.

That's because everyone loves Tom Atkins. He's the best.

Eyes Without a Face is brilliant. Certainly not as shocking now as it was in 1960, but an amazing film nonetheless. And Alice, Sweet Alice is a really solid American giallo-like.

Excellent. That's what I'm hoping for. Those are two of the higher class movies I've selected this year. Since I went so heavy on the European movies from the 70s I ran the risk of it being a reallllly sleazy month.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017

Halloween III is great, but yeah, as others have said, it's best to not think of it as a "Halloween" movie (though it does make a cheeky reference or two to the original). It's actually grown on me over the years. I was a big Halloween fan when I was a kid, and though I always found III creepy, the fact that there was no Myers in it always pissed me off. Over the years I started to realize that there is some seriously spooky shit in that movie, wrapped up in an absolutely batshit insane plot paying homage to the Quatermass movies. Some of Carpenter/Howarth's best soundtrack work as well.

Totally believable. Tom Atkins has that power. I mean, hell, by that time he'd already wheeled a teenage Jamie Lee Curtis in the fog.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Got my tix for IT Chapter 2 booked for Friday night...can't wait.

Watched and read little to nothing on it, wanna go in as dark as possible.

voodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Did a little Amazon Prime digging lately and found two gems.

Man VS. is about a wilderness survival TV show host like Bear Grylls heading out to survive and film for five days in the woods. He's woken up on the first night to a loud bang and then each night things start being moved or changed around him. Lots of tension and a great central performance elevate the film but the CG in it is truly terrible.

Leaving D.C. focuses entirely on a guy who buys a super remote house in the woods and starts hearing things outside late at night. It's all recordings he does to share with friends back home and can be a little slow but if you're into spooky sort of paranoia and conspiracy plots there's a lot to enjoy here despite the ridiculously low budget.

Just wanted to say thanks for giving the heads up on Man Vs., enjoyed it! Pleasantly surprised to see the lead played by Chris Diamantopoulos (playing equal lunatic characters in Silicon Valley, and Extras). Nice to see him on the backfoot in this. Just came off completing the Blair Witch game, so another outdoors-based reality horror was welcome. Hoping to watch the other recommendation soon.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I rewatched The Thing (1982) tonight. And my god, what a timeless movie! It really makes me wish modern movies would rely more on practical effects assisted with a little bit of digital instead of the opposite. The dogs scene near the beginning is especially effective.

One of my favorite horror movies of all time!

Last edited:

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks for giving the heads up on Man Vs., enjoyed it! Pleasantly surprised to see the lead played by Chris Diamantopoulos (playing equal lunatic characters in Silicon Valley, and Extras). Nice to see him on the backfoot in this. Just came off completing the Blair Witch game, so another outdoors-based reality horror was welcome. Hoping to watch the other recommendation soon.
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I sometimes don't know if people actually see my occasional recommendation post but I'll keep making them if it's giving people new stuff to watch they might not have caught otherwise.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I sometimes don't know if people actually see my occasional recommendation post but I'll keep making them if it's giving people new stuff to watch they might not have caught otherwise.

Please continue with the recommendations! I can confirm that sometimes it's impossible to know if other people actually saw them, but from my experience in this thread, as well as in other similar ones, it's not because people don't directly reply that what you write isn't seen. And the site also has a lot of traffic from people not even registered. So in the end your posts definitely end up having impact!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ready or Not was a fun-ass movie. It reminded me a lot of You're Next, except if you replaced the The Strangers/Funny Games elements of You're Next with elements from The Purge. I was into it the whole way.

I'd consider dividing up my movies into several categories for the 31 horror movies challenge

Very Scary - (The Grudge, Halloween, etc.)

Scary - (IT, The Conjuring, Hellraiser, etc.)

Not Scary at all - (Killer Klowns, Army of Darkness, Return of the Living Dead, etc.)

Last edited:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm running out of stuff to watch that I haven't see before. What are some of the lesser known stuff that you guys really like? My fiance and I have been watching a ton of horror movies lately gearing up for fall.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm running out of stuff to watch that I haven't see before. What are some of the lesser known stuff that you guys really like? My fiance and I have been watching a ton of horror movies lately gearing up for fall.

It's kind of hard to recommend stuff without you listing what you typically watch. I've been digging into European 70s lately because there seems to be an endless supply and all kinds of wacky movies you'd never expect are making the jump to bluray with beautiful new transfers. How deep have you gotten into foreign films? Of course, I have no idea what would even be a foreign film to you as I don't know what country you're located in.

Anyway, here's a couple of my current favourites:

I Am a Hero - Japanese zombie movie based on a manga. Absolutely fantastic.
Seoul Station - Animated companion film to Train to Busan (I'm assuming you've also seen that because it's awesome). The animation is pretty ugly, but if you can get past that it's a really great and super bleak zombie flick.
The Wailing - Korean horror that mixes a lot of various horror elements that shouldn't work, but totally does.
Pin - Obscure Canadian psychological thriller. This is great, but unfortunately, rather unknown.
Housebound - Incredible horror comedy from New Zealand full of surprises.
Amer - Mind blowing neo giallo from France/Belgium. If you're familiar with gialli, you need to see this. And if you're not, then that's a whole other list of movies you can check out before watching Amer.
Demons 1 and 2 - Crazy Italian splatter movies.
Pieces - Hilariously cheesy giallo-style Spanish 80s slasher. Watch it with the Spanish audio for the superior score.
Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror - Nasty Italian zombie splatter movie. Almost certainly one of Capcom's influences for Resident Evil 4.
Dagon - Spanish production of another Stuart Gordon HP Lovecraft adaptation. This is DEFINITELY the main inspiration for Resident Evil 4.

Here's some of the more popular Italian directors, and my favourites out of what I've seen:
(These aren't really lesser known if you're into Italian horror, but I don't know your viewing history)
Mario Bava - It's hard to go wrong with Bava, he was THE master of Italian horror. My faves (so far); Blood and Black Lace (the template for giallo movies), Lisa and the Devil, Black Sabbath.
Dario Argento - Tenebre (my personal favourite giallo), Deep Red (giallo), Suspiria
Sergio Martino - All the Colors of the Dark (giallo), The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (giallo), Torso (giallo)
Lucio Fulci - Zombi 2 (a zombie fights a shark, 'nuff said), Don't Torture a Duckling (one of the more unique gialli), The "Gates of Hell" trilogy ( City of the Living Dead, The Beyond and The House by the Cemetery).
Michele Soavi - Cemetery Man (one of my absolute favourite movies), StageFright: Aquarius (excellent slasher with one of the coolest killer designs ever)

American films:
The Battery - Indie Zombie film. Maybe a little too indie, but the awesome ending makes it easy to recommend.
Zombeavers - I don't know if this is "lesser known" because the trailer went viral a few years back, but the film itself is actually really damn fun and actually lived up to the insane trailer, which is super rare for films like this.
Maniac - Both the original and the remake. Not the most lesser known films in the world, but I thought I'd throw them into the list.
Society - If you've managed to not see this, and know nothing about it, go in blind. Do not watch the trailer or read anything.
Dead & Buried - Go in blind to this one as well.
Killer Workout & Death Spa - Pair these two 80s cheese fests with Fulci's Murder-Rock: Dancing Death for a hilarious weekend of awfulness and fun.
Slumber Party Massacre II - Imagine if Scooby-Doo were an 80s slasher.
Frank Henenlotter's films. They're not all the greatest movies ever, but they're all so bizarre and original that they're worth watching just to try to figure out what's going on in that man's head. The best are the original Basket Case and Frankenhooker, which is probably his most consistent film.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oculus
Dead Silence
Creepshow 2

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Since I was informed the Midsommar DVD and Blu-ray won't include the Director's Cut when they release in October I went out and caught it tonight.
Added some much appreciated extra context to the death of the central relationship, more buildup to the thesis conflict, an entirely new ritual scene that wasn't in the theatrical version, and a handful of other smaller bits and pieces.
I also loved seeing the movie again anyway so I could pay more attention to things in the background and to specific characters and how they behaved in certain scenes.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Since I was informed the Midsommar DVD and Blu-ray won't include the Director's Cut when they release in October I went out and caught it tonight.
Added some much appreciated extra context to the death of the central relationship, more buildup to the thesis conflict, an entirely new ritual scene that wasn't in the theatrical version, and a handful of other smaller bits and pieces.
I also loved seeing the movie again anyway so I could pay more attention to things in the background and to specific characters and how they behaved in certain scenes.
They arent including it? That's ridiculous.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They arent including it? That's ridiculous.
Correct. I was going to wait until it released to see the DX but I had a friend tell me and I read an article saying it won't be included. It's asinine and I won't be buying the Blu-ray day one now and instead will probably wait for whatever future version actually includes it.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Correct. I was going to wait until it released to see the DX but I had a friend tell me and I read an article saying it won't be included. It's asinine and I won't be buying the Blu-ray day one now and instead will probably wait for whatever future version actually includes it.
Same. Would have been a day 1 but not now.

It's pretty slimy because the intentions of getting people to double dip are obvious.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of hard to recommend stuff without you listing what you typically watch. I've been digging into European 70s lately because there seems to be an endless supply and all kinds of wacky movies you'd never expect are making the jump to bluray with beautiful new transfers. How deep have you gotten into foreign films? Of course, I have no idea what would even be a foreign film to you as I don't know what country you're located in.

Anyway, here's a couple of my current favourites:

I Am a Hero - Japanese zombie movie based on a manga. Absolutely fantastic.
Seoul Station - Animated companion film to Train to Busan (I'm assuming you've also seen that because it's awesome). The animation is pretty ugly, but if you can get past that it's a really great and super bleak zombie flick.
The Wailing - Korean horror that mixes a lot of various horror elements that shouldn't work, but totally does.
Pin - Obscure Canadian psychological thriller. This is great, but unfortunately, rather unknown.
Housebound - Incredible horror comedy from New Zealand full of surprises.
Amer - Mind blowing neo giallo from France/Belgium. If you're familiar with gialli, you need to see this. And if you're not, then that's a whole other list of movies you can check out before watching Amer.
Demons 1 and 2 - Crazy Italian splatter movies.
Pieces - Hilariously cheesy giallo-style Spanish 80s slasher. Watch it with the Spanish audio for the superior score.
Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror - Nasty Italian zombie splatter movie. Almost certainly one of Capcom's influences for Resident Evil 4.
Dagon - Spanish production of another Stuart Gordon HP Lovecraft adaptation. This is DEFINITELY the main inspiration for Resident Evil 4.

Here's some of the more popular Italian directors, and my favourites out of what I've seen:
(These aren't really lesser known if you're into Italian horror, but I don't know your viewing history)
Mario Bava - It's hard to go wrong with Bava, he was THE master of Italian horror. My faves (so far); Blood and Black Lace (the template for giallo movies), Lisa and the Devil, Black Sabbath.
Dario Argento - Tenebre (my personal favourite giallo), Deep Red (giallo), Suspiria
Sergio Martino - All the Colors of the Dark (giallo), The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (giallo), Torso (giallo)
Lucio Fulci - Zombi 2 (a zombie fights a shark, 'nuff said), Don't Torture a Duckling (one of the more unique gialli), The "Gates of Hell" trilogy ( City of the Living Dead, The Beyond and The House by the Cemetery).
Michele Soavi - Cemetery Man (one of my absolute favourite movies), StageFright: Aquarius (excellent slasher with one of the coolest killer designs ever)

American films:
The Battery - Indie Zombie film. Maybe a little too indie, but the awesome ending makes it easy to recommend.
Zombeavers - I don't know if this is "lesser known" because the trailer went viral a few years back, but the film itself is actually really damn fun and actually lived up to the insane trailer, which is super rare for films like this.
Maniac - Both the original and the remake. Not the most lesser known films in the world, but I thought I'd throw them into the list.
Society - If you've managed to not see this, and know nothing about it, go in blind. Do not watch the trailer or read anything.
Dead & Buried - Go in blind to this one as well.
Killer Workout & Death Spa - Pair these two 80s cheese fests with Fulci's Murder-Rock: Dancing Death for a hilarious weekend of awfulness and fun.
Slumber Party Massacre II - Imagine if Scooby-Doo were an 80s slasher.
Frank Henenlotter's films. They're not all the greatest movies ever, but they're all so bizarre and original that they're worth watching just to try to figure out what's going on in that man's head. The best are the original Basket Case and Frankenhooker, which is probably his most consistent film.

Great list. I did leave what I am looking for vague since I'm kind of interested in everything. I'm pretty well versed in Italian/Giallo and think I've seen everything on that list but the Sergio Martino stuff. Will have to check some of that out.

I think this year I'm looking for more modern, english language stuff to watch with my fiance. Some crazy 80's stuff is fun but I think she more enjoys watching things with a serious tone that aren't just splatter fests. I haven't seen The Battery so I will definitely add that. I know I've seen Dead and Buried but I can't remember anything about it. I haven't seen Society either but will add it to the list too.

Oculus
Dead Silence
Creepshow 2

Ohh Dead Silence and 1408 are 2 that I haven't seen. I remember hearing Dead Silence was surprisingly good when it came out. Will add those to the list.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For Dead Silence I have preference to the theatrical version over the unrated cut. There's some CGI stuff that didn't make the theatrical cut and I think the movie's better for it, even though it did provide a bit more context for a few things.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Creepshow 3 was so awful. The opening animated sequence looked like something from an abandoned show on Adult Swim.

Ouisch

Oct 27, 2017
For Dead Silence I have preference to the theatrical version over the unrated cut. There's some CGI stuff that didn't make the theatrical cut and I think the movie's better for it, even though it did provide a bit more context for a few things.
I second this. There's some really bad CGI in the director's cut that kind of breaks the atmosphere.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I watched a quick preview of HHN's Creepshow maze and saw what they're doing for the 'They're Creeping Up on You' segment. I may actually shit myself.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just got out of It Chapter 2.. it was.. okay. I dunno. I loved the first one but this one kind of just felt a bit meh, and upon rewatch of the first one (it was a double bill) both movies just feel a bit flat and lacking.

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Great list. I did leave what I am looking for vague since I'm kind of interested in everything. I'm pretty well versed in Italian/Giallo and think I've seen everything on that list but the Sergio Martino stuff. Will have to check some of that out.

I think this year I'm looking for more modern, english language stuff to watch with my fiance. Some crazy 80's stuff is fun but I think she more enjoys watching things with a serious tone that aren't just splatter fests. I haven't seen The Battery so I will definitely add that. I know I've seen Dead and Buried but I can't remember anything about it. I haven't seen Society either but will add it to the list too.

Cool. Sounds like you're probably already aware of these since they're not really lesser known, but just in case you've missed them, here's a few modern, English movies I think would be good to watch with the fiance:

- You're Next (this is my go-to recommendation for this kind of requirement)
- The Guest (it's a thriller, not a horror movie, but it takes place on Halloween so it'll fit in)
- Starry Eyes
- The Blackcoat's Daughter
- Better Watch Out (do not watch the spoilery trailer)
- The Final Girls (the 2015 one with Taissa Farmiga)
- The Neon Demon
- Hush
- American Mary (extreme content warning)
- Excision (^ ditto)
- The Loved Ones (^ ditto)
- It Follows
- The Children (the 2008 one)
- Anna and the Apocalypse (I personally hated this, but it was a film fest darling so I may be in the minority)
- May

So... they're not really obscure, so you've probably already seen all of those, but hopefully there's 1 or 2 that might be new to you.

Last edited:

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Cool. Sounds like you're probably already aware of these since they're not really lesser known, but just in case you've missed them, here's a few modern, English movies I think would be good to watch with the fiance:

- You're Next (this is my go-to recommendation for this kind of requirement)
- The Guest (it's a thriller, not a horror movie, but it takes place on Halloween so it'll fit in)
- Starry Eyes
- The Blackcoat's Daughter
- Better Watch Out (do not watch the spoilery trailer)
- The Final Girls (the 2015 one with Taissa Farmiga)
- The Neon Demon
- Hush
- American Mary (extreme content warning)
- Excision (^ ditto)
- The Loved Ones (^ ditto)
- It Follows
- The Children (the 2008 one)
- Anna and the Apocalypse (I personally hated this, but it was a film fest darling so I may be in the minority)
- May

So... they're not really obscure, so you've probably already seen all of those, but hopefully there's 1 or 2 that might be new to you.

Cheers! There's quite a few on here I haven't seen. The ones I have seen are You're Next, The Final Girls, Hush, Excision, and It Follows, which are all great. The rest I will check out.