• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I kind of came to horror movies later in life. As a kid, horror movies freaked me out, especially the idea of gore. Just hearing there was a scene in Poltergeist where a guy ripped his face off really made me scared of that movie, although I eventually saw it on cable, and started to realize that the idea of gore is often a lot more scary than the gore itself. I started dabbling a bit more into horror movies in college with stuff like Evil Dead, but still didn't watch a ton. Then I started reading spoilers for horror movies because what I really like about them are the crazy stories.

Eventually I just started watching most anything, with the exception of stuff that is just trying to be shocking, or body horror, which freaks me the hell out. There's also stuff that I've seen that I don't really want to see again, like Dead Alive, which is a great movie, but is just too damn gross, especially the dinner scene, and The Ruins, which has a great story but too many fucked up things happening (and made me scared of plants). Also if I don't ever see those hell scenes in Event Horizon again I'll be fine.

I've seen a broad swath of older horror movies already, from more weird stuff like Reanimator to more traditional things like The Exorcist. I've also seen my share of slasher films, but those can get a little tired. Ones that have something different to offer can be great - You're Next is a favorite.

Of course a lot of horror movies lately are ghost stories and not gory at all.

(By the way, if you don't want to watch some of the goriest horror movies but are kind of curious about them, I recommend SpookyRice on YouTube. His videos are a lot of fun. )

My wife on the other hand will not watch horror movies, but has been traveling for work lately so I've been catching up on a lot of horror movies. Some of the stuff I've see recently is The Conjuring, Annabelle Creation, The VVitch, Hereditary, Annihilation (sort of horror) and A Quiet Place (ditto). This weekend I watched Green Room, which is more of a real-life horror story I guess and The Autopsy of Jane Doe, which had a really good story. I'd also really love to know how they did the effects.

Anyway, Netflix and Amazon have a ridiculous amount of horror movies, but many of them look super bad at a glance. Figured we could use a thread to recommend horror movies that are less well known. Or just chat about movies we like.

Oct 28, 2017
220px-from-justin-to-41kpj.jpg

I havent slept since the bush administration.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I guess "Us" is not a less well known Horror movie but I nevertheless recommend it to anyone who hasn`t watched it yet because it`s absolutely fantastic.

89275-m.jpg

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The Interior. It's not a great movie, but it is a very different kind of horror, and it's got the scares.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
The Autopsy of Jane Doe was fun (I understand you saw it already, just recommending for others).

I just bought the blu-ray for The Terror tv show since it's not streaming anywhere. I'll give that a watch next weekend.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
My recommendations are the opposite of deep cuts but Candyman is pretty criminally overlooked I find and if you haven't seen the first two Hellraisers those are stone cold classics too.

None are as scary as many other films are, but the atmosphere, themes and ideas really linger.

Other than that, maybe Tale of Two Sisters and Three Extremes.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen It Follows yet, OP? One of my favorites in recent years.

Blair Witch Project is ESSENTIAL if you haven't seen it. It's my favorite horror movie of all time. The Fourth Kind is second, if alien horror is your thing. It's incredibly unsettling.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The Autopsy of Jane Doe was fun (I understand you saw it already, just recommending for others).

I just bought the blu-ray for The Terror tv show since it's not streaming anywhere. I'll give that a watch next weekend.
The Terror is not what I call horror or even a scary show tbh but it is an excellent drama nonetheless with some supernatural elements. The only other thing that came close to the quality of that show for me was Mind Hunter that same year.

My pick was gonna be the Conjuring but looks like it's in the OP. Just a solid, old fashioned spooky movie. Not as intense as The Exorcist but really well done and has excellent pacing. Some very touching moments too. The sequel was kinda naff except for the Nun demon thing.

Interested in watching Suspiria(?) remake that came out a while back. Never watched the original so idk if that is gonna make a difference. Also looking to watch Mandy some time soon. Not much else on my mind, hoping to get some recommendation in here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I am a big fan of demonic or occult movies.

Devil's Rock: Gory and gruesome, but on the lighter side as far as engagement is concerned - casual horror viewing. World War II, the night before D-Day. A pair of Kiwi commandos engaged in a short sabotage mission to the Channel Islands stumble upon something sinister

As Above, So Below: A group of archeologists venture into the catacombs beneath Paris in search of an artifact, and fall deeper than they were intending

Hereditary: A slow, tense burn that accelerates suddenly near the halfway mark and gets creepier and creepier. The ending rewards fans and readers of the occult.

OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I need to see Us soon. I tend not to go see movies alone (although I don't mind it, there's been periods of my life when I've done it plenty) so I miss a lot of horror movies in the theater. I know it's on video now.

Have you seen It Follows yet, OP? One of my favorites in recent years.

Blair Witch Project is ESSENTIAL if you haven't seen it. It's my favorite horror movie of all time. The Fourth Kind is second, if alien horror is your thing. It's incredibly unsettling.

Yeah, I saw and liked It Follows. Saw Blair Witch in the theater. Got very motion sick 🤢

I think I saw The Fourth Kind on cable a while back? Is that one where people are recording memories of being abducted on audio tape?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Horror fanatic here. I pretty much love about any horror era, classic silent horror, to giallo's, cheap b-horror movies and everything in between. Here's a little list I made a while back in a similar thread with some more thrown in.

The Changeling
eXistenZ (Great horror/sci-fi from Cronenberg)
The Company of Wolves (This is one of my favorite werewolf movies, it goes for more of a fantasy/dreamlike atmosphere vs straight up horror that others do and has multiple great "transformation" scenes)
Dagon
Suspiria 1977 (The Synapse bluray release is AMAZING, best way to see the movie)
Watcher in the Woods (Great 80's horror movie from none other then Disney, it's quite creepy and not at all a kids movie)
Pontypool
Picnic at Hanging Rock (great australian horror movie, it's a lot more atmospheric/creepy rather then say, straight up horror, more cerebral/mental horror if that makes sense)
Society
CHUD
Return of the Living Dead 3 (this is seriously a great movie, it doesn't really have anything to do with the other 2 and is more of an actual romantic-zombie flick)
The Midnight Hour (1985, tv movie featuring Lavar Burton)
Lady in White
Pin (1988) (This is a great creepy movie)
A Ghost Story (1981)
Highway to Hell (one of my favorite 90's b-movie horror movies, about a guy who travels to hell to rescue his gf, it's quite a surreal movie, even Ben Stiller, along with his dad/mom makes an appearance in it).
Pumpkinhead (I was surprised at how many people don't know about this movie, it's a classic creature feature from Stan Winston, who did the effects in movies like Aliens, T2, Jurassic Park, etc)
Lair of the White Worm
Possession (1981)
Scarcrows
The Resurrected (1991, aka Shatterbrain, a great HP Lovecraft movie)
Magic (1978)
Spookies
Don't Look Now
Strange Days (Seriously underrated great Horror/sci-fi film)
Deep Rising
Hardware (1990 a good post apocalyptic horror movie)
Parents (1989 Great weird horror movie starring Randy Quaid, about a boy living in a suburban town and starts to think something is weird about his parents)
Terrorvision
Screamers
The Vagrant (Good campy b-horror movie starring the late Bill Paxton)
Superstition
Rawhead Rex
Tourist Trap (1979) (the current blu ray of this sucks and is cut, there's a new remaster one coming later this year).
Leviathan
The Hidden (1987, bends more toward a thriller/action movie with Kyle MacLachlan as the lead but it's a great movie)
The Church (1989)

r7ls4p2.gif
(Company of Wolves)
4cPib8R.gif

KtPCU7r.gif
(Pumpkinhead)
nBlpWhv.gif
(The Changeling)
EplloWj.gif
(Terrorvision)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone watched The Perfection? I never know with these movies that have known casts but go straight to Netflix.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It Follows
Suspiria '18
It Comes At Night
Train to Busan
The Girl with All the Gifts
A Dark Song

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wolf Creek 1 and 2. I thought the ending to 2 really sucked, but everything before that was great.

Reeker was pretty interesting, though sometimes it looks silly. The sequel was fine but basically a carbon copy.

The Descent. Final Destination 1 and 3. The Last Exorcism (2 is abysmal). Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2 (3 is the single biggest movie disappointment in my life). And only for fun, Jason X.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Aight so, I try to recommend this channel every time we talk about horror movies on here. But if you love horror movies the YouTube channel Dead Meat is amazing.

Dead Meat has covered many horror franchises (Child's Play, Scream, Friday the 13th etc) and does kill counts while doing overview of the movies. The host is fantastic and I think HorrorERA might love this channel

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I am a big fan of demonic or occult movies.

Devil's Rock: Gory and gruesome, but on the lighter side as far as engagement is concerned - casual horror viewing. World War II, the night before D-Day. A pair of Kiwi commandos engaged in a short sabotage mission to the Channel Islands stumble upon something sinister

As Above, So Below: A group of archeologists venture into the catacombs beneath Paris in search of an artifact, and fall deeper than they were intending

Hereditary: A slow, tense burn that accelerates suddenly near the halfway mark and gets creepier and creepier. The ending rewards fans and readers of the occult.

You'd probably like The Devil's Candy if you haven't seen it.

I've been slacking a bit in my movie watching lately. As far as new stuff, Us was really good. The new Pet Sematary was pretty good too -- I think I was the only one in my group who liked it. A decent lesser known one is Irish movie The Hole in The Ground. Doesn't do anything groundbreakingly different but if you're into that slower creepy atmospheric stuff you may enjoy.

The Eyes of My Mother on Netflix is a newish one that is pretty interesting. Definitely weird but worth checking out. Super short so it's not a big investment.

Also recently watched Castle Freak on Shudder and let me tell you it's fucking hilarious. Jeffrey Combs is amazing. It's a dark movie and some fucked up shit happens but something about it is so absurd, can't help but laugh at certain parts.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I will always recommend Zombi 2. Great gore and some scenes are great.

Another zombie film (I'm a zombie guy), or should I say trilogy, is the George Romero Of The Dead series. Night, Dawn, and Day of The Dead are such great films in their own right. Another trilogy that I can recommend are the Living Dead series. Return of The Living Dead 1, 2, and 3 are also great zombie horror. RoTLD 3 takes a sharp turn from the first 2 but it has its own charm with it's seriousness imo.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
UK-Baskin-Poster.png

This might be the best horror movie I've ever seen. Turkish with subs, all practical effects.

Thank me later.

Edit: Here's another recent favorite for bonus.

blackrainbowbg.jpg

Not AS good as baskin but amazing in it's own right.

Last edited:

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
The House of the Devil is great slow burn horror if you're into that sort of thing.

TheHouseOfTheDevil_onesheet_USA-1.jpg

Also would highly recommend The Devil's Candy.

MV5BNTQzOTIxNTA5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODc3NzQ1MTI@._V1_SY1000_SX670_AL_.jpg

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
If you want some good old classic early 2000s japanese horror movies, Noroi: The Curse is pretty good. It's not exactly scary but the creep factor is great.

Thai Horror movie Shutter was pretty great as well. Probably one of the scariest that I watched.

shutter-thai-poster.jpg

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Grave Encounters --- it's basically a found footage movie taking place in a Silent Hill.
Lake Mungo --- a mockumentary. what makes it scary is the music it uses, goddamn it is chilling and effective.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe this is the place to ask. I'm looking for a "stalker" type movie, something like It Follows, where the protagonist is being hunted by someone or something. I love this theme and it genuinely scares me, but these movies don't seem to exist.

I'm also looking for a zombie survival movie, with NO goofy meta themes, that is NOT a comedy or satire. Just a straight up zombie movie. I've seen the Romero classics, Return of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later. Strangely, these also seem to be very difficult to find.

Thanks in advance if anyone can suggest something.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Triangle is one of my favourites. The one starring Melissa George and the lesser Hemsworth (Liam), as there are a bunch of movies with the same name.
Best to go in knowing nothing, honestly. It starts a little slow, but when it kicks into gear, it's fantastic.

Frozen (the ski hill one) is better than it sounds.

Finally, I'll also recommend The Editor, a giallo-spoof. Mostly a comedy, but gets the style down So well that I love it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If you want horror, you've come to the right guy.

Lesser known/underappreciated...
Terrifier - B-movie shlock with little to offer in the narrative department but Art the Clown cements himself as one of the most horrific horror villains of the last decade. SCARE FACTOR: 7/10. FILM QUALITY: 5/10.

The Sacrament - A found footage thriller clearly inspired (perhaps a bit too inspired) by Jonestown. SCARE FACTOR: 5/10. FILM QUALITY: 6.5/10.

Last Shift - The Silent Hill movie we deserved. SCARE FACTOR: 5/10. FILM QUALITY: 6/10.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes - One of the best found footage horror films of all time. No film nails the feeling of "I shouldn't be watching this..." quite like this one. SCARE FACTOR: 8/10. FILM QUALITY: 6.5/10.

A Dark Song - A claustrophobic slow-burn with only two characters and a healthy dose of heady themes and mystical underpinnings. SCARE FACTOR: 4/10. FILM QUALITY: 6/10.

Darlin' (coming soon, releasing in July): The less said about this one, the better. Catch it on release and enjoy the ride. SCARE FACTOR: 4/10. FILM QUALITY: 8/10.

Excision - Teenage angst gone gruesome. Certainly one reserved for those with strong stomachs and a wicked sense of humor but if you can handle it, you'll come away shocked, disturbed and teary eyed from laughter. SCARE FACTOR: 6/10. FILM QUALITY: 7/10.

Tragedy Girls - A delightfully dark horror/comedy in the vein of Scream. Not particularly frightening but undeniably entertaining. SCARE FACTOR: 3/10. FILM QUALITY: 6.5/10.

Lake Mungo - A mockumentary that successfully balances an emotional story about loss and the grieving process with palpable tension and intense "blink and you'll miss it" scares. SCARE FACTOR: 8/10. FILM QUALITY: 7/10.

Banshee Chapter - Numbers stations. Conspiracies. Aliens. SCARE FACTOR: 7/10. FILM QUALITY: 6/10.
Maybe this is the place to ask. I'm looking for a "stalker" type movie, something like It Follows, where the protagonist is being hunted by someone or something. I love this theme and it genuinely scares me, but these movies don't seem to exist.

I'm also looking for a zombie survival movie, with NO goofy meta themes, that is NOT a comedy or satire. Just a straight up zombie movie. I've seen the Romero classics, Return of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later. Strangely, these also seem to be very difficult to find.

Stalker, eh? There are the personal favorites of mine, The Strangers (and it's less well-received but still utterly fantastic sequel) and the significantly more extreme Inside. If you choose to give Inside a chance, make sure you watch the original French film. Also, a strong stomach is recommended.

Zombies, the most obvious recently released film is the amazing Train to Busan.

Last edited:

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

The Hitcher possibly Joy Ride

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
John Carpenters The Thing is the greatest horror film of all time.

Frank Darabonts The Mist and The Blob 1988 are also great

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of great recommendations already. My list :

Some Classics :
The Thing
Alien series
Evil Dead series
The Resurrected
Reanimator
From Beyond
Hellraiser 1-2
Night of the demons 1-2
Brain Dead aka Dead Alive
Night of the living dead
Elm street series

More recent ones:
The Cabin in the Woods
Evil Dead remake
IT remake
Bone Tomahawk
The Wailing
The Ritual
VVitch
Autopsy of Jane Doe
Hereditary
Mandy

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I watched Terrifier the other night, and although the plot is wafer thin, the evil clown protagonist is as scary as any I've seen, and the gore is gruesome. It's worth checking out.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think The Strangers is a bit of an underrated gem. But then I even liked the sequel so perhaps I have a low bar.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
If you want horror, you've come to the right guy.

Lesser known/underappreciated...

Stalker, eh? There are the personal favorites of mine, The Strangers (and it's less well-received but still utterly fantastic sequel) and the significantly more extreme Inside. If you choose to give Inside a chance, make sure you watch the original French film. Also, a strong stomach is recommended.

Zombies, the most obvious recently released film is the amazing Train to Busan.
Thanks! Yeah I've seen Train to Busan. It was alright but I think what I'm more looking for is zombies descending on our suburban or metropolitan areas.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Trying to think of some that haven't been said of the top of my head

The innkeepers

The People under the stairs

Kill list

Slither

Southern comfort

The skeleton key

Dead man's shoes/a room for romeo brass (not really horror movies but they have horror movie vibes and are both fucking fantastic)

Matheulbeuk

Dec 16, 2018
Noroi: The Curse , best japan horror film, and a great great found foutage.

Really, a fantastic movie.

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
The Devil's Rejects
Creep / Creep 2
Cold Prey
I Spit On Your Grave
Final Destination
Jessabelle
REC
The Descent