• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The three movies by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead are probably one of the most refreshing thing happening in horror in the last few years. I'm talking about:

- Resolution (2012)
- Spring (2014)
- The Endless (2017)

Especially Spring. This movie is really special. I can't recommend it enough.

imageId:12419336.jpg

And by the way, you're all welcome to come and take part in the Horror Fan Era Hangout thread:

Oct 25, 2017
Alien, The Thing and the Shining along with the original Halloween are essentially my top recommended horror movies. Anyone of those are a great place to start.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Today instead of a movie I'm going to talk about a service. Me and my brother subscribe to Shudder, with your growing interest at least maybe do the trial to see if the service and library is for you. I haven't had issues streaming nor has my brother but I have heard different from others so I would definitely try a trial first if it piques your interest.

Last night I watched Street Trash, right up the same alley as Brain Damage already mentioned in this thread, which is also on the shudder service.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Today instead of a movie I'm going to talk about a service. Me and my brother subscribe to Shudder, with your growing interest at least maybe do the trial to see if the service and library is for you. I haven't had issues streaming nor has my brother but I have heard different from others so I would definitely try a trial first if it piques your interest.

Last night I watched Street Trash, right up the same alley as Brain Damage already mentioned in this thread, which is also on the shudder service.

I second this recommendation. Shudder is so good. And they have a surprisingly great movie library too! Also, it's the only place where you can watch The Last Drive-in With Joe Bob Briggs...

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon evangelist.

Horror comedy mockumentary about an incipient 80's style slasher who invites a documentary crew along to watch as he prepares for his spree.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My recommendation has to be for Cure (1997)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cure_1997
It's a compelling and thrilling mystery movie but also a uniquely odd horror movie. Horror vets tired of the same old same old that have somehow missed this movie, please enjoy. When it's over you'll be creeped out without knowing precisely why.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon evangelist.

Horror comedy mockumentary about an incipient 80's style slasher who invites a documentary crew along to watch as he prepares for his spree.
This is a really solid rec, along with Creep it's one of the few movies that takes the documentary/found footage type of sub genre and actually does something new and unique with it. Plus behind the mask is full of injokes and references sure to please any fans of 80's slashers.

OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The three movies by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead are probably one of the most refreshing thing happening in horror in the last few years. I'm talking about:

- Resolution (2012)
- Spring (2014)
- The Endless (2017)

Especially Spring. This movie is really special. I can't recommend it enough.

imageId:12419336.jpg

And by the way, you're all welcome to come and take part in the Horror Fan Era Hangout thread:

Ok this is weird, I swear I searched all titles on the forum for "horror" and this didn't show up.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i'll put a movie that i dont see anyone recommending or even talking about, its quite good

220px-Possum%2C_2018_film_poster.jpg

the trailer is slightly misleading i think with the idea of "jump scares", the movie is much more slow paced and metaphorical

i think the creature is one of the most distinct and memorable things ive seen in any horror movie of the last 20 years

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
i'll put a movie that i dont see anyone recommending or even talking about, its quite good

220px-Possum%2C_2018_film_poster.jpg

the trailer is slightly misleading i think with the idea of "jump scares", the movie is much more slow paced and metaphorical

i think the creature is one of the most distinct and memorable things ive seen in any horror movie of the last 20 years

That's definitely not a possum.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
220px-Ilsposter.jpg

i don't scare easily, but this legit scared the everloving shit out of me and has stayed with me for years.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is the place to ask. I'm looking for a "stalker" type movie, something like It Follows, where the protagonist is being hunted by someone or something. I love this theme and it genuinely scares me, but these movies don't seem to exist.

I'm also looking for a zombie survival movie, with NO goofy meta themes, that is NOT a comedy or satire. Just a straight up zombie movie. I've seen the Romero classics, Return of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later. Strangely, these also seem to be very difficult to find.

Thanks in advance if anyone can suggest something.

Second point..... There's a ton of zombie movies but there's not a lot like what you want. I'm assuming you've seen [REC] 1 and 2? Cargo is okay-ish. The Dead 1 and 2 is sort of what you're looking for. Otherwise the ones I've seen are too character focused and/or has comedy associated with the zombies (gimmicks).

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty good, and beautifully shot.

As for recommendations, I have a soft spot for The Troll Hunter, which I don't think is mentioned that often in threads like this one:

19772780.jpg

It's a found footage movie where a camera crew follows a guy who's supposedly poaching bears in a forest in Norway.

This is an A+ fucking movie. Highest recommendation.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe this is the place to ask. I'm looking for a "stalker" type movie, something like It Follows, where the protagonist is being hunted by someone or something. I love this theme and it genuinely scares me, but these movies don't seem to exist.

I'm also looking for a zombie survival movie, with NO goofy meta themes, that is NOT a comedy or satire. Just a straight up zombie movie. I've seen the Romero classics, Return of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later. Strangely, these also seem to be very difficult to find.

Thanks in advance if anyone can suggest something.

Zombie movie suggestions if you haven't seen them:
Night of the Comet (great 80's zombie survival movie, one of the best)
Zombie (Lucio Fulci's classic 1979 zombie movie)
Pontypool (This is a very divisive movie, lots of people love it, others hate it, it has a unique take on zombies and how things work, however it takes place mainly in one location so it's not some sweeping adventure movie, it's more about the story and the discovery of what is going on).
Demons (1985 from Bava and Dario Argento, people trapped in a movie theater when zombies run amuck and trying to get out/survive)
The Girl With All the Gifts (2016, one of the better newer ones)
The Battery (2012, this movie was a pleasant surprise to me, mainly because it focuses less on gore/zombies and more about the two guys surviving and their character arcs)
The Night Eats the World (this is the newest one I've seen, it's really well done and a lot like 28 days later, lone guy surviving the zombie apocalypse)

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Second point..... There's a ton of zombie movies but there's not a lot like what you want. I'm assuming you've seen [REC] 1 and 2? Cargo is okay-ish. The Dead 1 and 2 is sort of what you're looking for. Otherwise the ones I've seen are too character focused and/or has comedy associated with the zombies (gimmicks).
Thanks, I will check out The Dead! I think I actually did see REC 1 but found footage movies aren't for me.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Pontypool (This is a very divisive movie, lots of people love it, others hate it, it has a unique take on zombies and how things work, however it takes place mainly in one location so it's not some sweeping adventure movie, it's more about the story and the discovery of what is going on).
Demons (1985 from Bava and Dario Argento, people trapped in a movie theater when zombies run amuck and trying to get out/survive)
The Battery (2012, this movie was a pleasant surprise to me, mainly because it focuses less on gore/zombies and more about the two guys surviving and their character arcs)
The Night Eats the World (this is the newest one I've seen, it's really well done and a lot like 28 days later, lone guy surviving the zombie apocalypse)

Wow, thank you! The classics and the last one you listed are exactly what I'm looking for (especially Night of the Comet).

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I will check out The Dead! I think I actually did see REC 1 but found footage movies aren't for me.

I'd also recommend the suggestion above your post. The Night Eats The World is a decent zombie flick out of all the other zombie films being released currently. It is character focused and if you like that then it's for you. The Girl With All The Gifts is also good. I liked that film.

I'm the zombie movie kind of guy where I want the focus to be on the zombies and the outbreak. I love zombie movies like that even if there's not a lot of that kind.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not lesser known, but I think the newest Blair Witch was pretty great and everyone seemed to overlook it. I have one complaint about it, but otherwise I thought it was really good

Also it seems like nobody ever talks about the first Sinister movie.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
I guess "Us" is not a less well known Horror movie but I nevertheless recommend it to anyone who hasn`t watched it yet because it`s absolutely fantastic.

89275-m.jpg
I wouldn't say its more comedy than horror but its about as funny as it is horific. About 30 minutes too long and a swing and a miss after Get Out for me. Love Jordan but easily one of the most disappointing movies in recent memory for me.

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
My top 25:

Repulsion (1965)
Nosferatu (1922)
Mulholland Drive (2001)
Possession (1981)
Eraserhead (1977)
Vampyr (1932)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928 - the French film, not the American one)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Safe (1995)
Cure (1997)
Kwaidan (1964)
Eyes Without a Face (1960)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Alien (1979)
Hausu (1977)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)
The Innocents (1961)
The Cremator (1969)
The Thing (1982)
Suspiria (1977)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Psycho (1960)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
The Vanishing (1988)
The Witch (2015)

My recommendation has to be for Cure (1997)
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cure_1997
It's a compelling and thrilling mystery movie but also a uniquely odd horror movie. Horror vets tired of the same old same old that have somehow missed this movie, please enjoy. When it's over you'll be creeped out without knowing precisely why.
Yep. So good.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
220px-Lake_Mungo_Official_Poster.jpg

One of the best atmospheres of any horror movie I've seen, I always recommend it, go in blind. Tense and unsettling.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
I'd also recommend the suggestion above your post. The Night Eats The World is a decent zombie flick out of all the other zombie films being released currently. It is character focused and if you like that then it's for you. The Girl With All The Gifts is also good. I liked that film.

I'm the zombie movie kind of guy where I want the focus to be on the zombies and the outbreak. I love zombie movies like that even if there's not a lot of that kind.
I think I'm kind of similar, my favorite part tends to be when people begin to realize that something is amiss. Followed by adaptation to the new situation and survival. Unfortunately those parts usually tend to be fleeting and are quickly supplanted by tiresome human drama and/or ham-fisted lessons about life and morality.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Little cheesy but one of my favorites

Dead Silence
220px-Dead_silence.jpg

I think the poster threw a lot of people off in thinking that it's about sentient ventriloquist dummies. But it's got a creepy atmosphere, fantastic antagonist design, and is all around a pretty fun watch

I know the theme is pretty popular

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Glad to see Pontypool mentioned, another little horror movie that's stuck with me over time is Splinter. Small budget body horror/The Thing stuff going on with an always great performance from Shea Whigham. One of the best character actors currently working.

Jun 10, 2018
Even though I disliked the ending, I can still recommend Pet since the first 3/4ths of the movie deliver on the psychological thriller/horror elements the trailer sold me on.

Will also recommend Night of the Demons and its 2009 remake, The Taking of Deborah Logan, Before I Wake, Midnight Meat Train, and Grave Encounters (1st one only).

Hatchet series is also a pretty fun modern take on classic slasher monster movies, so I'll throw those in as well.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Prefacing this list of recommendations by saying some of these films are on multiple of these services, I'm just listing a film by the service I happened to watch or notice it on and that it's still currently on as far as I'm aware

If you have Shudder:
Horror Noire: A Documentary on the History of Black Horror
Let The Right One In
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
I Saw The Devil
Mayhem
Splinter
Southbound
The Void
Trollhunter
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil
We Are Still Here

If you have Netflix:
The Perfection
The Babysitter
Autopsy of Jane Doe
Train to Busan
Cam
The Witch
Hush
The Eyes of My Mother

If you have Hulu:
I Am Not A Serial Killer
Berberian Sound Studio
Repo! The Genetic Opera
Tetsuo: The Bullet Man

If you have Amazon Prime:
Hereditary
Suspiria 2018
Unsane
The Neon Demon
Dog Soldiers
Happiness of the Katakuris

Free on Tubi.TV:
Midnight Meat Train
Pumpkinhead
Return of the Living Dead
Evil Dead 2
Sleepaway Camp
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2
Nightbreed: The Director's Cut
Exorcist 3
Hell Night

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
My top 25:

Repulsion (1965)
Nosferatu (1922)
Mulholland Drive (2001)
Possession (1981)
Eraserhead (1977)
Vampyr (1932)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928 - the French film, not the American one)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Safe (1995)
Cure (1997)
Kwaidan (1964)
Eyes Without a Face (1960)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Alien (1979)
Hausu (1977)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)
The Innocents (1961)
The Cremator (1969)
The Thing (1982)
Suspiria (1977)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Psycho (1960)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
The Vanishing (1988)
The Witch (2015)

Yep. So good.

this is a fucking unbelievable list and anyone in this thread looking to start taking horror movies seriously should start here.

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
The Thing-Classic alien shapeshifter movie
IT movie- Creepy clowns, 80s nostalgia, what's not to love?

V/H/S- Found footage of supernatural and creepy events.

Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2

Ash vs Evil Dead

Ghoul(miniseries)

Last edited:

TheAndyMan

Banned
Feb 11, 2019
Utah
I watched Terrifier the other night, and although the plot is wafer thin, the evil clown protagonist is as scary as any I've seen, and the gore is gruesome. It's worth checking out.
Mixed feelings on that. Felt like the first 20 minutes were scarier than the rest of the movie. And
the use of a gun was pretty polarizing and out of character for a demonic(?) entity

JavonMcCloud

Oct 25, 2017

Came to recommend The Battery, glad to see it make it here. I'll also second your recommendations of Zombie, Pontypool, and Demons. I'm adding The Night Eats the World to my watchlist now!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I've seen most everything at this point, but I'm looking for something really unsettling. Horror I like isn't jump scares, it's tension, it's atmosphere, I want to feel like I should turn it off. One thing I loved about Lake Mungo was the "pay attention" aspect of it, same with the ghosts in Haunting of Hill House, or the part in Hereditary where the mother is on the ceiling in the corner, and the camera or director isn't calling your attention to it with a loud noise or focusing right on it.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Lol OP. "Weird stuff" like Re-Animator. You really are at the precipice of this thing. Take another step and see what weird really is.

Start with The Boxer's Omen, then jump to The Oily Maniac, The Church, Bloody Moon, and you'll be set right

"Weird" horror is my wheelhouse. Keep an eye on the shit I watch if you're ever craving more:

letterboxd.com

Seth Brundle Fly’s profile

Seth Brundle Fly uses Letterboxd to share film reviews and lists. 1,588 films watched. Favorites: The Fly (1986). Bio: 🪰

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I never see it mentioned in any of these horror movie lists but the film Gehenna (2018) is a great horror flick about a couple of developers who become trapped in an old world war 2 bunker as crazy shit starts going down. I won't say any more as its one of those films that's better going in not knowing anything but the most basic premise. Its on Netflix right now and I suggest for anyone who loves films about people who get trapped in a place where fucked up shit starts happening.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
just a few recs that I've watched (rewatched) recently

kvjZAw8.jpg
zIroiMR.jpg

7wUppor.jpg
ytJDEm7.jpg

Suspiria being my favorite of 2018, Terrifier is a very hardcore gore flick with a weird bent that I won't spoil and Curtains/Suckling are a great double B-movie feature.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Wolf Creek 1 and 2. I thought the ending to 2 really sucked, but everything before that was great.

Reeker was pretty interesting, though sometimes it looks silly. The sequel was fine but basically a carbon copy.

The Descent. Final Destination 1 and 3. The Last Exorcism (2 is abysmal). Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2 (3 is the single biggest movie disappointment in my life). And only for fun, Jason X.

Oh hell yeah, I'll always champion the Wolf Creek and Final Destination series. Final Destination got me into horror and I loved the way Wolf Creek toyed with popular Australian stereotypes (haven't seen the sequel yet though).

If you're after lesser-known stuff OP then here's a few of my favourites:
  • Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead - A cheesy but awesome Australian zombie movie that just keeps piling on crazy ideas and has a different feel about it because of the Australian actors and dialogue.
  • Happy Death Day 1 + 2 - Not sure if these really count as lesser-known but I loved these movies as fun genre mash-ups. The first one is a slasher/time loop/coming-of-age story while the second one is more of a sci-fi film that pokes fun at the horror elements. Lots of great humour and character moments in both
  • Cam - A camgirl who's desperate for stardom performs a series of escalating publicity stunts, only to get locked out of her account by a doppelganger. She finds out this entity has done the same thing to other people who all ended up dead, and she has to work out who she can trust amongst her friends and fans to try and stop it. It gets super tense and I liked seeing a movie about the effect the quest for online popularity can have on people
  • Anna and the Apocalypse - A brilliant hybrid of a feel-good teen Christmas musical and a brutal zombie film. The soundtrack is in my heavy rotation. Apparently the US release has a few cuts to some scenes and musical numbers that the EU and AU releases didn't though, so keep that in mind
  • Triangle - it's hard to describe this one without spoiling everything, but it's a really tense supernatural mystery/horror movie that keeps unravelling more and more layers as it goes on