• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I watched Terrifier the other night, and although the plot is wafer thin, the evil clown protagonist is as scary as any I've seen, and the gore is gruesome. It's worth checking out.
Mixed feelings on that. Felt like the first 20 minutes were scarier than the rest of the movie. And
the use of a gun was pretty polarizing and out of character for a demonic(?) entity

Fun fact: Terrifier is apparently the second movie featuring the same clown. The first one is called All Hallows' Eve.

Didn't saw it, but I saw Terrifier. And yeah, there are some rather fun scenes, but the nearly non-existent plot makes the whole thing a rather dull affair that overstays its welcome.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Session 9 from the top of my head.
You either love it or hate it by the look of it.
I've read that Silent Hill 3 was inspired by this movie.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I have a list from a horror site that I used to run of the top 500 horror movies our community voted on back in 2011. I can link it to you if you'd like.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The Midnight Meat Train is maaaaaybe my favorite horror movie of all time. I actually enjoyed it more than the short it's based off of (by Clive Barker).

MV5BMTEwNTk0NDUwNDdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDQ3NzcyNjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,672,1000_AL_.jpg

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
There is always Deathgasm which is about a Death Metal band that accidently plays a song that turns anyone who hears it into demons. Think of it like the Evil Dead films in that its both very clever but also very stupid and incredibly gory and fucked up. You also get several deaths due to sex toys.

tumblr_o19qa2cS891rp0vkjo1_500.gif

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: Terrifier is apparently the second movie featuring the same clown. The first one is called All Hallows' Eve.

Didn't saw it, but I saw Terrifier. And yeah, there are some rather fun scenes, but the nearly non-existent plot makes the whole thing a rather dull affair that overstays its welcome.

This was such a fun movie, I agree the lack of plot kind of pulled it down abit but Art the Clown made the movie and would make such a great horror mascot like Freddy or Jason he is just so incredibly creepy.

If you don't mind subtitles The Wailing which is on Netlfix, an awesome Korean thriller/suspense film.
MV5BODkwMTgxNjA2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDc0OTcwOTE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,675,1000_AL_.jpg

Haute Tension is also an amazing french horror film. The english release is called High Tension and it's really good and suspenseful right till the end.Spoiler note if you look into this film don't read too much into it other than a synopsis you'll enjoy it more.
Haute-Tension-Banner.jpg

Last edited:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings on that. Felt like the first 20 minutes were scarier than the rest of the movie. And
the use of a gun was pretty polarizing and out of character for a demonic(?) entity
That was my favorite moment of that movie. Just completely out of left field and completely unexpected of a movie killer.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I've seen most everything at this point, but I'm looking for something really unsettling. Horror I like isn't jump scares, it's tension, it's atmosphere, I want to feel like I should turn it off. One thing I loved about Lake Mungo was the "pay attention" aspect of it, same with the ghosts in Haunting of Hill House, or the part in Hereditary where the mother is on the ceiling in the corner, and the camera or director isn't calling your attention to it with a loud noise or focusing right on it.
bump

cake

Oct 25, 2017
I'll list some of my favorites, but there are a ton of fantastic options already listed.

Noroi: The Curse (super creepy)
The Thing (one of the best and one of my favorite movies in general)
They (a guilty pleasure)
In the Mouth of Madness (do you read Sutter Cane?)
28 Days Later (some of the scariest "zombies", and great main cast)

I just wish there was more good alien abduction/encounter horror movies, super underrepresented subgenre.

I just saw the new Child's Play in theater and was pleasantly surprised by it

and AM1200 a nice cosmic horror short film

Always nice to see AM1200 brought up. Definitely recommended.

Today instead of a movie I'm going to talk about a service. Me and my brother subscribe to Shudder, with your growing interest at least maybe do the trial to see if the service and library is for you. I haven't had issues streaming nor has my brother but I have heard different from others so I would definitely try a trial first if it piques your interest.

Last night I watched Street Trash, right up the same alley as Brain Damage already mentioned in this thread, which is also on the shudder service.

Shudder is great, I love putting on Shudder.tv for some nice background horror if I don't have anything particular in mind.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately that I do not know, but it's probably worth seeing if it's available where you are and what it has.
Their catalog unfortunately varies from country to country, with the US having the biggest one.

But,

Right now VPNs are working perfectly well for Shudder.

Brilliant. Thanks guys. In the UK it looks like it is an Amazon channel on Prime. It is also a $=£ deal by the looks of it, and I'm not paying more for a smaller catalogue of films.

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The Ritual on Netflix is a great mythological horror film about a group of guys that go hiking to remember a dead friend. They encounter something in the woods that I believe has the best horror villain design I've see this decade.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen most everything at this point, but I'm looking for something really unsettling. Horror I like isn't jump scares, it's tension, it's atmosphere, I want to feel like I should turn it off. One thing I loved about Lake Mungo was the "pay attention" aspect of it, same with the ghosts in Haunting of Hill House, or the part in Hereditary where the mother is on the ceiling in the corner, and the camera or director isn't calling your attention to it with a loud noise or focusing right on it.
I feel the same way. the last movie to really scare me was sinister. and that was years ago.

Edit: the Ritual did get to me a little.

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
I would recommend The Sentinel to any fan of horror

It isn't really discussed that much anymore, but it's fantastic

Deleted member 56773

Banned
May 16, 2019
Thisthisthisthisthisthisthis

And Basket Case.

I agree with your quote of that long list of movies and VERY AGREE with Basket Case. One of my all time faves. Here's my addition to weird horror:

Basket Case
Basket Case 2
Brain Damage (already mentioned, incredible movie)
From Beyond
Society
Monkey Shines
In The Mouth Of Madness
Videodrome (has this not been mentioned yet????)
Killer Klowns From Outerspace
Killer Condom
House / Hausu
Troll 2
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
Street Trash

it's times like these I wish I had a better memory. I used to own hundreds of horror movies on VHS but I just can't remember which was which very well.

I also second the person above who said Ginger Snaps.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know any good slasher movies/series with actually likable characters? A big problem I have with some of the more modern fare is that they tend to make all the victims unrepentant monsters or annoying as hell. I'm just looking for something that's fun to watch outside of the violence and scares.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a huge horror fan. I've seen a lot of more obscure stuff, but have avoided a lot of very well known series...so I'm purposely aiming to go back through some of them and fill out my huge blind spots. This thread is definitely great. Currently watched five Chucky movies this weekend...still have two to go.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know any good slasher movies/series with actually likable characters? A big problem I have with some of the more modern fare is that they tend to make all the victims unrepentant monsters or annoying as hell. I'm just looking for something that's fun to watch outside of the violence and scares.

I mean if you don't mind a horror with comedy I can't recommend Tucker and Dale vs Evil enough, it flips the slasher genre on it's head and plays into the stereotypes and people just making assumptions that have seen too many horror movies. The two leads are very likeable (Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine), easily one of, if not THE, funniest horror comedies out there.

You might also like The Final Girls,

It's kind of a meta horror film but it works and is a great throwback to 80's slasher movies with it's tongue in cheek style and the main characters are likeable, it also has quite a heartwarming story at its center.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My top 5 are

The Conjuring
IT remake
As Above so Below
Hereditary
The Witch

As Above so Below is probably the worst of these but I love the concept so much even though it doesn't stick the landing

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A Cabin in the Woods?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Warning, pretty realistic/disturbing scene.

The Taking of Deborah Logan is also very good.

Oct 25, 2017
noroi-the-curse-16877.jpg

one of my favorites I've recently seen.
kinda had a similar vibe to Higurashi no Naku, also good as a classic of Japanese horror with haunted shrines, small remote villages with their rituals and ancient folklore about local demons

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if you don't mind a horror with comedy I can't recommend Tucker and Dale vs Evil enough, it flips the slasher genre on it's head and plays into the stereotypes and people just making assumptions that have seen too many horror movies. The two leads are very likeable (Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine), easily one of, if not THE, funniest horror comedies out there.

You might also like The Final Girls,

It's kind of a meta horror film but it works and is a great throwback to 80's slasher movies with it's tongue in cheek style and the main characters are likeable, it also has quite a heartwarming story at its center.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm going to try and check both of these out soon.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly horror, but have you seen The Vanishing? The 1988 original, not the remake?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Korean movie The Wailing.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
My top 25:

Repulsion (1965)
Nosferatu (1922)
Mulholland Drive (2001)
Possession (1981)
Eraserhead (1977)
Vampyr (1932)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1928 - the French film, not the American one)
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
Safe (1995)
Cure (1997)
Kwaidan (1964)
Eyes Without a Face (1960)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Alien (1979)
Hausu (1977)
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970)
The Innocents (1961)
The Cremator (1969)
The Thing (1982)
Suspiria (1977)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Psycho (1960)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
The Vanishing (1988)
The Witch (2015)
This is a fantastic list that includes al of my favorite Horror films. Very trustworthy list.

Fuck, Cure is incredible.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
One Horror movie I haven't seen mentioned is Audition by Takashi Miike. One my favorites for many years.

My other favorites are Rosemary's Baby by Roman Polanski, Suspiria by Dario Argento, Cure by Kiyoshi Kurosawa, and The Witch by Roger Eggers. I also thought The Wailing by Na Hong-jin was a recent great.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Saw Child's Play (2019) this weekend. Great movie, honestly this could have come out without the Child's Play label and been just as good if not better. But I can understand why they did. Chucky is really... sympathetic almost in this movie. Which is weird to me, we went in with low expectations because he looks so weird in the trailer but it kind of just works really well.

Almost felt like a Black Mirror episode but movie length and the horror is turned up. Great movie liked it quite a bit.

furikuri

Oct 28, 2017
My brain is pretty scrambled at the moment, so I'll just name off a random assortment of movies. Don't assume that I have good taste!

Pumpkinhead (1988) is a good "starter" horror movie. It's not too frightening or gory, and the "southern Gothic" set design and lighting help to set the film apart from its contemporaries. Not too impressive in terms of acting (aside from Lance Henriksen as the lead) or storytelling, but it's a decent slice of backwoods horror. Plus, Pumpkinhead is an iconic monster design.

Visiting Hours (1982) is a surprisingly well-acted (and plotted) Canadian slasher flick. Michael Ironside steals the show as the film's misogynistic antagonist, but the rest of the cast holds their own admirably. In my opinion, this is a cut above the usual slasher fare.

Prince of Darkness (1987): Science, religion, and horror collide in this oft-overlooked John Carpenter film. It's no Halloween or The Thing (then again, what is?), but it's an interesting footnote in Carpenter's portfolio.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982): Go into this blind (and drop all of your pre-conceived notions regarding the Halloween franchise). This is a weird movie. The eighties were weird!

Bad Dreams (1988): A young woman, critically injured in a cult's mass suicide, awakens from a decade-long coma only to be haunted by the malevolent spirit of said cult's leader. Some consider this to be a rip-off of A Nightmare on Elm Street III: Dream Warriors, and honestly, I'm inclined to agree—although the set-up is different, the setting, characters, and plot are quite similar to that of Dream Warriors, albeit with a few twists. On the other hand, the film has some snappy dialogue and a wonderfully creepy performance from (a sadly under-used) Richard Lynch as the creepy cult leader antagonist. The movie doesn't quite reach its full potential, but it's an interesting curio.

The Manitou (1978): This is another movie that you need to go into blind. It takes a while to get going, but when it does, it doesn't let the fuck up. Best viewed with an audience!

Also try:
Hellraiser
Suspiria (1977)
Phenomena (1985)
The Serpent and the Rainbow
Black Christmas (1974)
Poltergeist (1982)
Dead & Buried
The Brood
Just Before Dawn
Mimic
Near Dark
Cronos
Phantasm
The Fog (1980)
The Hitcher
In the Mouth of Madness
The House on Sorority Row
Ginger Snaps

Not quite horror, but contain horrific imagery (or atmosphere):
Nightbreed
Lord of Illusions
Alice Sweet Alice

Campy fun:

Shocker
Chopping Mall
Sleepwalkers
Night of the Creeps
Night of the Comet
Sleepaway Camp
Dolls
Q: The Winged Serpent
The Guardian
Mirror Mirror
Terror Train
Prom Night
Prom Night II: Hello Mary Lou
Rawhead Rex
An American Werewolf in London
Ghosthouse
House
House III: The Horror Show

Last edited:

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I agree with your quote of that long list of movies and VERY AGREE with Basket Case. One of my all time faves. Here's my addition to weird horror:

Basket Case
Basket Case 2
Brain Damage (already mentioned, incredible movie)
From Beyond
Society
Monkey Shines
In The Mouth Of Madness
Videodrome (has this not been mentioned yet????)
Killer Klowns From Outerspace
Killer Condom
House / Hausu
Troll 2
Hellraiser
Hellraiser 2
Street Trash

it's times like these I wish I had a better memory. I used to own hundreds of horror movies on VHS but I just can't remember which was which very well.

I also second the person above who said Ginger Snaps.

Hausu being on your list (it's in my top 25 films of all time) means you're good people

Creepshow. If you have yet to see the movie avoid the trailer.

The music is amazing.

On my bucket list is having the opportunity to interview the film's composer. Half of what makes Creepshow so effectively creepy (and fun) is the score (my favorite being The Crate, followed closely behind by Something to Tide You Over)

Last edited: