• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Great topic, I love horror films. I've only read page 1 so I don't know if these have been mentioned, but here's a few recommendations from me:

The Ritual - I saw this recently on Netflix. It's about a group of men who go hiking in Sweden and take a shortcut through a creepy isolated forest. Once there they have nightmares when they relive past traumas and the group quickly falls apart. I would recommend it specificall

and AM1200 a nice cosmic horror short film

Nice, I will watch this later.

The House of the Devil is great slow burn horror if you're into that sort of thing.

TheHouseOfTheDevil_onesheet_USA-1.jpg

I haven't seen it but I just wanted to say this is a gorgeous poster.

Maybe this is the place to ask. I'm looking for a "stalker" type movie, something like It Follows, where the protagonist is being hunted by someone or something. I love this theme and it genuinely scares me, but these movies don't seem to exist.

You're right; I can't think of many. I take it you have seen The Terminator, although I realise that's a lot more action than horror. But I've always found the end of the film creepy; especially when they're in the factory and there's no-one else around.

Have you seen Spielberg's Duel? It's not exactly what you're asking for, and again it's probably thriller more than horror, but it's a pretty good 'stalker' type movie.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Great topic, I love horror films. I've only read page 1 so I don't know if these have been mentioned, but here's a few recommendations from me:

The Ritual - I saw this recently on Netflix. It's about a group of men who go hiking in Sweden and take a shortcut through a creepy isolated forest. Once there they have nightmares when they relive past traumas and the group quickly falls apart. I would recommend it specificall

You're right; I can't think of many. I take it you have seen The Terminator, although I realise that's a lot more action than horror. But I've always found the end of the film creepy; especially when they're in the factory and there's no-one else around.

Have you seen Spielberg's Duel? It's not exactly what you're asking for, and again it's probably thriller more than horror, but it's a pretty good 'stalker' type movie.

I actually sent that member a list of stuff, but I may as well add Death Proof as well. There's also some nice subversion near the end.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some great movies listed and some I need to check out myself. Heres a few Ill suggest that I either overlooked seeing in this thread or havent already been noted:

Absentia

Hell House LLC

Girlhouse

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Candyman
It Follows
The Entity
The Babadook
The Wailing

It's rare that horror films scare me, but all the above had moments thsy either installed dread, scared me outright at the time, or stuck with me for a while after.

Prince of Darkness didn't scare me but I love it.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Love horror films, I collect them and it's practically the only movie genre I watch anymore. A lot of really good ones have been named in this thread so I'll try and pull some less talked about ones.

Terrified - I watched this one just yesterday, damn it surprised me. It lives up to it's title, don't be fooled by the cheesy looking poster. It's a very well made Spanish paranormal horror film.

Ghost Stories - A criminally under talked about british horror film. Sort of an anthology thing that shows different stories from different people recollecting events, but it ties them together. Also has Martin Freeman, so that's neat.

The Guest - It's not a straight up horror movie, more of a thriller, but it has very tense moments and is set during Halloween so it has the nice horror feel to it. Very fun movie.

One Cut of the Dead - Don't look anything up for this one. If you like satirical zombie films or horror-comedy you have to see this one. It's an extremely unique movie and even people who are exhausted of zombies have to check this out for how well executed it's unique premise is.

Hatchet - Man, how Victor Crowley isn't as talked about as Jason or Freddy by now is beyond me. This is a fun as hell slasher franchise, and I really feel like with a bit more push it could have been one of the next big horror icons. Anyone who loves 80's slashers and crazy gore needs to watch this one. The trailer is very misleading, it's not nearly as serious as it seems to look.
(Can't post more than 4 Youtube links so I'm just putting a gif here.)
6d1708e8fcb7b41a4abe804a0175caf0.gif

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Love horror films, I collect them and it's practically the only movie genre I watch anymore. A lot of really good ones have been named in this thread so I'll try and pull some less talked about ones.

Terrified - I watched this one just yesterday, damn it surprised me. It lives up to it's title, don't be fooled by the cheesy looking poster. It's a very well made Spanish paranormal horror film.

Ghost Stories - A criminally under talked about british horror film. Sort of an anthology thing that shows different stories from different people recollecting events, but it ties them together. Also has Martin Freeman, so that's neat.

The Guest - It's not a straight up horror movie, more of a thriller, but it has very tense moments and is set during Halloween so it has the nice horror feel to it. Very fun movie.

One Cut of the Dead - Don't look anything up for this one. If you like satirical zombie films or horror-comedy you have to see this one. It's an extremely unique movie and even people who are exhausted of zombies have to check this out for how well executed it's unique premise is.

Hatchet - Man, how Victor Crowley isn't as talked about as Jason or Freddy by now is beyond me. This is a fun as hell slasher franchise, and I really feel like with a bit more push it could have been one of the next big horror icons. Anyone who loves 80's slashers and crazy gore needs to watch this one. The trailer is very misleading, it's not nearly as serious as it seems to look.
(Can't post more than 4 Youtube links so I'm just putting a gif here.)
6d1708e8fcb7b41a4abe804a0175caf0.gif

Terrified was one of the surprise hits for me last year, and I don't usually like ghost stories. The practical effects mixed with the sheer WTF-ness of the final act really made it quite good.

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen most everything at this point, but I'm looking for something really unsettling. Horror I like isn't jump scares, it's tension, it's atmosphere, I want to feel like I should turn it off. One thing I loved about Lake Mungo was the "pay attention" aspect of it, same with the ghosts in Haunting of Hill House, or the part in Hereditary where the mother is on the ceiling in the corner, and the camera or director isn't calling your attention to it with a loud noise or focusing right on it.
I'd say Cure is a good bet given those criteria.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it was mentioned, but Lake Mungo is reallllllllly good. It's a really slow burn that's super unsettling. Don't read anything about it beforehand.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend 1408 as well. It's a fantastic bottle film that's the psychological side of supernatural, like Oculus (also recommending that)

Grave Encounters is good as far as found footage films go too.

Mixed feelings on that. Felt like the first 20 minutes were scarier than the rest of the movie. And
the use of a gun was pretty polarizing and out of character for a demonic(?) entity
I think that was intentional. It was supposed to feel like cheating

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Autopsy of Jane Doe last night and was absolutely loving it until a certain point it feels like everything shifted into an extremely generic horror movie with a great one in there trying to claw its way out and failing completely with that ending.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What are some decent horror movies where the atmosphere is the selling point and not the tension or shock moments?
I love Silent Hill's other world and the Hell from Hellraiser and I'm bored by stuff like the Witch & Hereditary.

Jun 10, 2018

The first Terminator is definitely horror. What it lacks in suspense it more than makes up for with dread and ominous atmosphere.

T2 onwards (ironically much like the Alien franchise) is when the horror elements are lost sadly.

Edit: For another recommendation, there's a horror anthology called Southbound worth checking out, primarily for the 3rd short which is easily the best of the bunch. I'm not disturbed by much, and even that one got to me a bit.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
What are some decent horror movies where the atmosphere is the selling point and not the tension or shock moments?
I love Silent Hill's other world and the Hell from Hellraiser and I'm bored by stuff like the Witch & Hereditary.

The Shining
It's schlocky, but Fulci's The Beyond with its haunted hotel setting
Suspiria (mostly the 1977 version, but the new one is good as well)
House of the Devil
It Follows
The Innocents
Event Horizon
The Thing
Rosemary's Baby
The Descent
The Neon Demon
Lake Mungo
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Amityville Horror (the original)
The Changeling (1980)
The Haunting
The Others

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I rewatched The Thing yesterday (1982 — the one with Kurt Russell) and it's still definitely one of my favorite. Practical effects, especially in horror, are so much better than CGI. When it's done as well as it is in The Thing, it gives a certain timeless quality to the movie.

ThunderousSlimAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

6c34dbd84f084e45d14a1d8fd732e3ca.gif

OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Autopsy of Jane Doe last night and was absolutely loving it until a certain point it feels like everything shifted into an extremely generic horror movie with a great one in there trying to claw its way out and failing completely with that ending.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed it but had the same feeling. I think there's a pretty distinct point where the movie goes from slow burning mystery to more of a frantic pace and it unravels a bit.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I wanna chime in and recommend:

In The Mouth of Madness
z2BuUy7.jpg

This movie has almost no gore and is just creepyness, so a great film if you are not into gore at all. It's an underrated gem and imo the last great movie done by John Carpenter.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I figured I should throw this out there, the only movie I've turned off partway through in recent years as I was so disgusted by it:
In a Glass Cage (1986)
torture, nazi, pedophilia
I didn't mark it watched on Letterboxd for that reason. I don't remember it even being visually explicit(at least to the point I watched), the subject and things being described and happening made me feel so ill I had to stop it. So I give it credit for being disturbing for sure.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this is the place to ask. I'm looking for a "stalker" type movie, something like It Follows, where the protagonist is being hunted by someone or something. I love this theme and it genuinely scares me, but these movies don't seem to exist.

It kind of goes without saying, but you've seen Halloween, right?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love Slither. It's practically a remake of Shivers, though.
If you like it then check out Night Of The Creeps, too.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
one of my favorites I've recently seen.
kinda had a similar vibe to Higurashi no Naku, also good as a classic of Japanese horror with haunted shrines, small remote villages with their rituals and ancient folklore about local demons
Noroi: The Curse (super creepy)
Noroi is the most recent film I've seen (few years now) that genuinely fucked me up for about two weeks. It's funny because immediately after viewing I thought it was pretty good, one of the better j-horror films I'd seen, but the next day and the days after I couldn't stop thinking about it and kept getting worried I'd look up to see 'it'.

My recommendation (for now), is I Saw the Devil, especially if you're in the mood for more gripping Korea cinema after The Wailing.

81UEsqer-sL._SY445_.jpg

It's not a horror movie per se, but it's absolutely horrifying. Stuck with me for a very very long time. I never want to watch this film again.

Any horror movies involving monsters and people trapped in a house or town?

Was thinking of like The Thing, Blood Glacier or The Blob.
30 Days of Night
Night/Dawn/Day/Land of the Dead
The Crazies
The Collector
Devil
The Ruins
The Mist
Train to Busan
Dead Snow
Vacancy (this isn't a monster but it's one my top 5 horror films all-time)
Cloverfield

Last edited:

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Noroi is the most recent film I've seen (few years now) that genuinely fucked me up for about two weeks. It's funny because immediately after viewing I thought it was pretty good, one of the better j-horror films I'd seen, but the next day and the days after I couldn't stop thinking about it and kept getting worried I'd look up to see 'it'.

Noroi sticks the landing like very few horror movies do. That ending is a nightmare.

OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I watched As Above So Below tonight. Definitely triggered my claustrophobia.

Also, Perdita Weeks should have been Lara Croft.