• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
You're Next
Howl

These are both more fun to me than scary, but they kept me entertained the entire time.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
It´s really not that bad, the movie is not a bloodbath or the like. The scissors are handled and used with...style.

Alright, I'll take your word for it.

I typically handle violence and gore pretty well in movies--but when it comes to certain tools (like scissors), applied to certain body areas, I feel borderline faint.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
The three movies by Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead are probably one of the most refreshing thing happening in horror in the last few years. I'm talking about:

- Resolution (2012)
- Spring (2014)
- The Endless (2017)

Especially Spring. This movie is really special. I can't recommend it enough.

imageId:12419336.jpg

And by the way, you're all welcome to come and take part in the Horror Fan Era Hangout thread:

I watched Spring, based on your recommendation, and I loved it. It's the type of film I never thought I'd be drawn to but I'm still thinking about it, and there's not that many horror films that do that for me!

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I watched Spring, based on your recommendation, and I loved it. It's the type of film I never thought I'd be drawn to but I'm still thinking about it, and there's not that many horror films that do that for me!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! This movie definitely is something, isn't it? How would you call this particular subgenre of horror? Romantic body horror? It's something I've never seen before. And it's barely "real" horror to be frank. It definitely has tense moments and imagery associated with horror, but I wouldn't say it's a scary film. It's definitely a strange beast. And wow, it does stay with you for a very, very long time. I must have seen it about four or five times so far, and each time it slowly climbs up toward the top of my favorite movies list.

And now! If you liked Spring, let me suggest another strange beast. Another "romantic body horror" movie that might or might not fall into traditional horror.

I'm talking about Are We Not Cats. It might be something you could also appreciate after Spring. Spring is my favorite between the two, but both movies definitely share some characteristics. If you watch it, please let me know what you think!

A word of warning though: huge (HUGE!) trigger warning for anybody that had to deal with trichotillomania and related disorders in their life in any way, shape, or form. This movie goes deep in it in pretty graphic ways.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
I know it's already been mentioned but I'm throwing my hat in for The Haunting (1963). I especially like the
use of internal monologues. I can't readily think of any other film that uses this technique, especially to such great effect.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
For the werewolf fans out there, there's one movie I forgot to mention, Late Phases. It's one of the better newer werewolf films, about an old blind guy who gets stuck in an old folks community and figures out something isn't quite right about it. The lead actor is quite good (you probably recognize him from Stake Land) and he's an interesting protag compared to most other movies of this type. The movie also makes ample use of practical effects for the werewolves rather then going the CGI route.

It's available on Amazon Prime if you have it:

Also another campy but enjoyable creature feature I'd recommend if you like those types of movies is She Creature (aka the Mermaid Chronicles). It was an overlooked Cinemax movie from the early 2000's that starred Rufus Sewell and Carla Gugino. The creature was designed by Stan Winston studios (Pumpkinhead, Aliens, Terminator 2, etc).

Last edited:

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Because of this thread, i've now re-watched Noroi: The Curse and Occult. is there any great Japanese horror movies worth watching? Not the really popular ones of course (Ju-on, The ring, etc..) I seem to like one of those folklore or urban legends stories. A found footage film style would be a good plus.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
There are tons! My favorite is Audition by Takashi Miike, but it's not really the subgenre you're asking for. My other favorites are Hausu (House) and Dark Water. Kwaidan is probably the most critically acclaimed Japanese Horror film!

I'll go watch Kwaidan right now! I'm literally in a mood for some j horror right now.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Let the Right One In always gets big props from me. Just a perfect atmosphere that Let Me In lacks, and it has one of my favorite scenes in a horror flick
the pool scene of course

I imagine nearly everyone here knows Ju-On, AKA the original Japanese The Grudge movies. There are some great moments in this series. If you've only watched the first movie, go back and watch at least the second one.

Guillermo del Toro's name is pretty much universally known, but somehow The Devil's Backbone is not. It's not completely horror, but it's still easily his scariest film.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but the original asian film The Eye absolutely terrified me.

I also love all the REC recommendations here. The first two movies are fantastic, which is saying a lot for me, considering I typically dislike possession movies.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! This movie definitely is something, isn't it? How would you call this particular subgenre of horror? Romantic body horror? It's something I've never seen before. And it's barely "real" horror to be frank. It definitely has tense moments and imagery associated with horror, but I wouldn't say it's a scary film. It's definitely a strange beast. And wow, it does stay with you for a very, very long time. I must have seen it about four or five times so far, and each time it slowly climbs up toward the top of my favorite movies list.

And now! If you liked Spring, let me suggest another strange beast. Another "romantic body horror" movie that might or might not fall into traditional horror.

I'm talking about Are We Not Cats. It might be something you could also appreciate after Spring. Spring is my favorite between the two, but both movies definitely share some characteristics. If you watch it, please let me know what you think!

A word of warning though: huge (HUGE!) trigger warning for anybody that had to deal with trichotillomania and related disorders in their life in any way, shape, or form. This movie goes deep in it in pretty graphic ways.

It is really unique and it's the kind of film I would have just skipped. The only way I can describe it is like an infinitely superior version of Twilight. I'll check out your next suggestion and let you know! I really want to watch Resolution and The Endless now after seeing Spring because of the quality of direction and writing.

Last edited:

Possumowner

Oct 27, 2017
Uk
I'll go for killer object movies

Rubber (2010)....killer tyre goes on the rampage, surprisingly good
Bed of the Dead (2016).... demonic bed goes on rampage, actually half decent
Curtain a.k.a The Gateway (2015).....shower curtain gateway death rampage...it's ok
The ToyBox (2018).....haunted R.V. starring Denise Richards....god awful
Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977)....title gives it away, terrible
Amityville 4:The Evil Escapes (1989).....lamp gone evil..lamp bad
The Mangler (1995)....Tobe Hooper directs Stephen king short.....gets mangled in mangler

There's loads more,even a killer lift one,mostly vehicles Duel,Christine etc etc

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
It is really unique and it's the kind of film I would have just skipped. The only way I can describe it is like an infinitely superior version of Twilight. I'll check out your next suggestion and let you know! I really want to watch Resolution and The Endless now after seeing Spring because of the quality of direction and writing.

Resolution and The Endless are both great. Very different than Spring, but you'll recognize the style of the directors. They are kind of related though, so make sure you listen to Resolution first.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Let me know what you think. Kobayashi is an incredible director.

Got done watching it and wow. For a movie that came out in the 60s, it's damn timeless while I was watching it. Seeing all the practical effects and their faces makes it all more scary. I love the snow woman storyline. It's quite sad and tragic. I didn't know the whole thing was based on a japanese novel. Curious to order one now.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Got done watching it and wow. For a movie that came out in the 60s, it's damn timeless while I was watching it. Seeing all the practical effects and their faces makes it all more scary. I love the snow woman storyline. It's quite sad and tragic. I didn't know the whole thing was based on a japanese novel. Curious to order one now.
Glad you liked it! If you were impressed, I do recommend watching Harakiri (although it's not Horror). It's probably Kobayashi's most famous film. I think he's one of the best directors ever.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Halloween is an absolute classic. But, I haven't seen any of the sequels or remakes, are any worthwhile?

Check out the sequel from last year. It didn't fit into the stalker criteria you wanted, but it does some interesting things and analyzes while providing a good continuation. It fucks up here and there and doesn't have good pacing in the first half. It's good though.

Also check out Halloween 3 when you're in the mood for some good 80's camp/horror.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
Because of this thread, i've now re-watched Noroi: The Curse and Occult. is there any great Japanese horror movies worth watching? Not the really popular ones of course (Ju-on, The ring, etc..) I seem to like one of those folklore or urban legends stories. A found footage film style would be a good plus.

The Slit-mouthed Woman is a pretty damn good and gruesome movie that's based around a Japanese folktale.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know where to ask because I haven't been able to find it after searching google forever,

does anyone know the name of a black and white Japanese horror movie or show where the monster is a classic Japanese 1eyed woman creature with a scene of a ballet student and teacher practicing when the creature suddenly appears in the mirror next to them in the mirro, controls them and makes them dance for a bit before turning them to stone or something.

Last edited:

blackrogue13

Nov 21, 2018
I'll go for killer object movies

Rubber (2010)....killer tyre goes on the rampage, surprisingly good
Bed of the Dead (2016).... demonic bed goes on rampage, actually half decent
Curtain a.k.a The Gateway (2015).....shower curtain gateway death rampage...it's ok
The ToyBox (2018).....haunted R.V. starring Denise Richards....god awful
Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977)....title gives it away, terrible
Amityville 4:The Evil Escapes (1989).....lamp gone evil..lamp bad
The Mangler (1995)....Tobe Hooper directs Stephen king short.....gets mangled in mangler

There's loads more,even a killer lift one,mostly vehicles Duel,Christine etc etc
Got all the way through the thread to your post thinking I was going to be the first one to post about rubber. Amazing film. The whole premise is out there.

So guess I will go with A Serbian Film. Probably the only film I regret watching as I didn't enjoy the movie one bit (Not sure your meant to) but the message didn't resonate either. Whilst it's all made up and fake, watch it at your risk.

Also the first human centipede is a really well done dark comedy. (I found it hilarious in places). What I saw of the second one lacked the humour of the first.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I am going to go ahead and not recommend Monster Party. It came out last year. Took 40 minutes too long to get into the action, I didn't care for any of the characters (which is very important for this kinda movie), the action when it does happen is hid behind camera moves, the gore is pretty good tho and it takes a hard swing in the end and I think it whiffs it pretty hard.

Steer clear unless you legit have nothing else to do or nothing else to watch and just want to say you've seen this I guess.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Eden Lake, for sure!
Oh yes that one is tough. Supernatural horror movies do nothing for me but these types of movies where the horror can happen in real life are the scariest IMO. Even Fatal Attraction send shivers down my spine.
However, one problem I have with Eden Lake is that its protagonists, especially the guy, are some of the most supid I've seen in ahorror film. And we know horror film characters are not the smartest.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Two for me to suggest and I really enjoyed them both:

Tony (2009)
The Last Horror Movie (2003)

If anyone has seen them or watches them, please let me know what you think :)

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
With the release of the trailer for the upcoming Jacob's Ladder remake, I guess I need to recommend the masterpiece that is the original Jacob's Ladder.

This is such a great movie, and it is honestly aging very well. The writing and cinematography are very effective, and the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. After seeing the remake's trailer, I'm not sure what is the purpose of this new movie. It really seems like a real downgrade from the original.

Even the original 1990 trailer is better than the new one:

Go see that movie! You will not regret it.

OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
With the release of the trailer for the upcoming Jacob's Ladder remake, I guess I need to recommend the masterpiece that is the original Jacob's Ladder.

This is such a great movie, and it is honestly aging very well. The writing and cinematography are very effective, and the movie keeps you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. After seeing the remake's trailer, I'm not sure what is the purpose of this new movie. It really seems like a real downgrade from the original.

Even the original 1990 trailer is better than the new one:

Go see that movie! You will not regret it.

Doesn't everyone know the twist in Jacob's Ladder? Wonder if the remake is going to change it somehow.

OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Which ending did you saw though? The Descent has 2 endings --- one which pave way to the terrible sequel (best avoid unless you're curious), and another which is damn good conclusion.

There's two endings? The only one I know of (Jacob's Ladder I'm talking)
is that it's all a dream

Oh sorry, I got totally mixed up here. I've seen both endings to the descent.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Watched "It Comes At Night" very recently.

It's a shame it's marketing tries to set itself up as something it's not because the film is incredibly well down and the end is genuinely gut wrenching.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
There's two endings? The only one I know of (Jacob's Ladder I'm talking)
is that it's all a dream
Uhh what?? Didn't know there's that ending. I guess there were 3. The good one was:

The main character thought she managed to escape, but it turns out to just be a dream she's still trapped inside the cave. The final shot has her staring at her torch slowly going out as she imagined a time when she celebrated her daughter's birthday blowing a candle.

OP
OP
Teggy

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh what?? Didn't know there's that ending. I guess there were 3. The good one was:

The main character thought she managed to escape, but it turns out to just be a dream she's still trapped inside the cave. The final shot has her staring at her torch slowly going out as she imagined a time when she celebrated her daughter's birthday blowing a candle.

No, that was the end of OG Jacobs Ladder. Sorry, I got all confused by the order of the posts. 😭