• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
United States
You have impecible taste.

Love the new Suspiria.
Yeah, new suspiria surprised the hell out of me. Went in expecting shlock and yeah, in a lot of ways, I ended up preferring it to the original. I never thought I'd praise a movie for its choreography but it's used to great effect.

the scene where shes doing the dance magic and twisting the girls body apart is WICKED. The head witch was also satisfyingly freaky/gross and disgusting. It looks pretty cool when hilton gets the head chop also.

In short, a strong remake. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
That new Child's Play is pretty decent slasher horror. It's basically a modern remake of Chopping Mall with an actual effort going into it.

Also, I watched the first Friday the 13th for the first time today. It's surprisingly pretty good and hold up well. I love how straight forward it is.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Two for me to suggest and I really enjoyed them both:

Tony (2009)
The Last Horror Movie (2003)

If anyone has seen them or watches them, please let me know what you think :)
I like the last horror movie quite a bit. Though I do think modern streaming takes some of the effect out, it's even more well watched on an actual VHS tape.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My recommendations (hopefully there's one or two that haven't been mentioned yet):

- As Above, So Below
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe
- The Babadook
- Backcountry
- The Blackcoat's Daugther
- Coherence
- The Conjuring
- Creep
- The Descent
- The Girl with All the Gifts
- Goodnight Mommy
- Grave Encounters
- Green Room
- Hereditary
- The Houses October Built
- I Am Not a Serial Killer
- In Fear
- Kill List
- Lake Mungo
- The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh
- Oujia: Origin of Evil
- Raw
- The Ritual
- Southbound
- Train to Busan
- Under the Shadow
- The Void
- The Wailing
- The Witch

Not seen yet but interested in:

- Baskin
- A Field in England
- Suspiria
- Absentia
- Channel Zero

Last edited:

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
My recommendations (hopefully there's one or two that haven't been mentioned yet):

- As Above, So Below
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe
- The Babadook
- Backcountry
- The Blackcoat's Daugther
- Coherence
- The Conjuring
- Creep
- The Descent
- The Girl with All the Gifts
- Goodnight Mommy
- Grave Encounters
- Green Room
- Hereditary
- The Houses October Built
- I Am Not a Serial Killer
- In Fear
- Kill List
- Lake Mungo
- The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh
- Oujia: Origin of Evil
- Raw
- The Ritual
- Southbound
- Train to Busan
- Under the Shadow
- The Void
- The Wailing
- The Witch

Not seen yet but interested in:

- Baskin
- A Field in England
- Suspiria
- Absentia
- Channel Zero

Great list!

I highly recommend Absentia, great horror flick. Also there is a sequel to Houses That October Built which is really good.

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Been sick for the last few days, so I've watched a few.

When A Stranger Calls: Terrible. Not worth anyone's time.

Inside: Messed up. Tense, but not a very good movie story-wise. If you like gore and slashers, though, this will more than suffice. Martyrs is a lot better, though.

Green Room: Watched it again. Fantastic movie. Highly recommended.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump this, but I have to say something.

Based on recommendations here, I'm watching "I Am Not A Serial Killer", and it's fucking killing me how much Doc Brown looks EXACTLY like Bernie Sanders. Fucking lol! 😆

Edit: Look!
hero_I-am-not-a-serial-killer-2016-2.jpg

He's Bernie Sanders! I'm fucking dying over here

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, some recent ones I enjoyed were:

-Hereditary, some very strong moments that have stuck with me since I watched it in the theater a while ago.
-Suspiria 18, the movie is wayyy to long, and honestly, I don't even feel good recomending it...but it's a movie that I feel is worth it just for the experience.

One less known I enjoyed quite a bit recently, is "Lake Mungo", its a "documentary" with some nice twists and one of the reveals made me unconfortable the more I kept thinking about it.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking of subscribing to Shudder, does anyone have any experience with it? Seems like a good way to watch older horror movies I might not have seen.

Also, I watched the first Friday the 13th for the first time today. It's surprisingly pretty good and hold up well. I love how straight forward it is.

As a huge Friday the 13th fan (can't believe it's been 10 years since the last one), I think the first 2 maybe 3 are legitimately good horror movies, and then after they're all varying degrees of campy or so-bad-it's-good (the only exception being Jason Lives, which is also really good).

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking of subscribing to Shudder, does anyone have any experience with it? Seems like a good way to watch older horror movies I might not have seen.

As a huge Friday the 13th fan (can't believe it's been 10 years since the last one), I think the first 2 maybe 3 are legitimately good horror movies, and then after they're all varying degrees of campy or so-bad-it's-good (the only exception being Jason Lives, which is also really good).

Shudder is definitely worth a look if you're into horror. Has some good deeper cuts, and their original stuff is getting better as time goes along. Plus it has Joe Bobs Last Drive In Show, which is tops.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't make threads so I'll bump this and see what i get.

Been rewatching some Friday the Thirteenth films and listening to the hilarious podcast "In Vorhees We Trust With Gourley & Rust."

How do you rank the Friday films? I haven't seen all of them but these are my rankings as of right now:

1. Part 4: Final Chapter
2. Part 2
3. Part 1 (original)
4. Jason Lives
5. Part 3
6. Part 5

I haven't seen any of the others except maybe Freddy Vs Jason and Jason X, which I think I might have watched once in theaters and barely remember so I can't rank them. They'd probably be pretty low, tho. I suspect I might bump Jason Lives up a spot when I rewatch again but I'm actually not a big fan of the Teleporting Jason direction or the self-aware gags.

Are the ones I didn't mention worth watching? Never saw the 2009 remake, either.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Love the love for Lake Mungo in here! There are few movies that just do an underlying tone of "something is wrong" and hold it for an entire movie. That's the sort of thing I like and it's hard to find stuff like that. I don't want to be just scared, I want to be unsettled. Another movie that gave me that feeling was "A tale of two sisters".

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Thir13en Ghosts

The Blob remake

Wrong Turn 2

House on Haunted Hill

Dusk Till Dawn

Tales from the Crypt Demon Knight

Oct 25, 2017
Can't make threads so I'll bump this and see what i get.

Been rewatching some Friday the Thirteenth films and listening to the hilarious podcast "In Vorhees We Trust With Gourley & Rust."

How do you rank the Friday films? I haven't seen all of them but these are my rankings as of right now:

2. Part 2
3. Part 1 (original)
4. Jason Lives
5. Part 3
6. Part 5

I haven't seen any of the others except maybe Freddy Vs Jason and Jason X, which I think I might have watched once in theaters and barely remember so I can't rank them. They'd probably be pretty low, tho. I suspect I might bump Jason Lives up a spot when I rewatch again but I'm actually not a big fan of the Teleporting Jason direction or the self-aware gags.

Are the ones I didn't mention worth watching? Never saw the 2009 remake, either.
Jason Lives should be number one followed by part 4 the rest are pretty awful, but are still entertaining in a cheesy B movie kinda way.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017

2. Part 2
3. Part 1 (original)
4. Jason Lives
5. Part 3
6. Part 5
As someone who doesn't particularly like the series as a whole, I rank them:

1. Part 7: The New Blood
2. Part 6: Jason Lives

And that is it. To me the rest of the series isn't even worth watching(well, Freddy vs. Jason is alright), they are routinely held back by their genre trappings, more so than most other slashers. The "need" for nothing characters to be slaughtered in a vague camp(or camp adjacent) setting leaves no room for an actual story. Parts 6 and 7 are the only two that rise above the nonsense to actually be something(I used to be a fan of Part 4 but a recent rewatch left me bored out of my mind).

Part 6 is more solid of the two(and is one of the best "You should watch this in black and white" films ever) but 7, despite its imperfect nature, is still easily my favorite. Part of it is the inspired/ridiculous concept of the film(Jason vs. Carrie!) but it is just a cool little mess of a film, with the best Jason for good measure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ft13th rankings?

Been going through Crystal Lake Memories on Shudder so these are on my mind.

Top Tier

6:Jason Lives
4:the Final Chapter

Shit but flawed fun
7: The New Blood
Jason X

Just Shit
8:Takes Manhattan
9:The Final Friday

Snooze AKA dont even bother
2: that's baghead Jason
5: that's not even Jason

As for the remake, it's not unwatchable but it just kind of combines the first three films and every decent idea as he kills generic modern teens instead of 80's teens in what feels like a greatest hits compilation.

I do like Freddy vs Jason a bit too. I know opinions are mixed but it's a vs. not to be taken seriously, and it's fun watching Voorhees steal Kreugers thunder. That and I am one that while I appreciate Hodder for his role and keeping the fans excited during the down years I never really cared for his acting like he was the definitive voice of Jason, the casting of Ken Kirzinger in this brought a needed update, a return to a taller leaner more athletic Jason over whatever the bloated mess hodder shambles around as was.

EDIT: my phone autocorrected something to something else, it's funny me and my brother talk about this stuff enough my predictive text throws the wrong horror stuff in😂

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
For the werewolf fans out there, there's one movie I forgot to mention, Late Phases. It's one of the better newer werewolf films, about an old blind guy who gets stuck in an old folks community and figures out something isn't quite right about it. The lead actor is quite good (you probably recognize him from Stake Land) and he's an interesting protag compared to most other movies of this type. The movie also makes ample use of practical effects for the werewolves rather then going the CGI route.

It's available on Amazon Prime if you have it:

Oooh thank you, I'm excited.... I've never heard of it.

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
I think my ranking would more or less be:

1. Jason Lives
2. The New Blood
3. The Final Chapter
4. Freddy vs. Jason
5. Part 1
6. Part 2
7. Jason Takes Manhattan
8. Jason X
9. Remake
10. Part III
11. The Final Friday
12. A New Beginning

The bottom half is kind of interchangeable though since I don't care for any of them. The only ones I really have any fondness for are 6 and 7.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
While I absolutely stand by my New Blood love it is a film that is seen by most to be one of the lesser entries in the series. Purely anecdotally but it feels like the more affection you have for the series the less you think of New Blood.

And just because: Here are some gifs of Jason Lives gloriously stripped of their color.

source.gif

source.gif

source.gif

And the kill.

I think the director once mentioned the idea or something but I gave it a shot years ago and it really makes the film pop. There is so much atmosphere in the film, just shadows galore, and it adds to the more classic horror/monster movie vibe the film seems to be going for.

Oct 2, 2018
someone somewhere suggested possum and man, its just loads and loads of arthousey man doing misc things ... as its quite a budget feature...and I gave up about 40 minutes in. He's here, he's there - he's face down in some dirt.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This is not how you do a horror movie; even if its psychological.

TheDave545

Nov 4, 2017
Give The Void a watch, imagine The Thing with a bit of Hellraiser, and dip it in some HP Lovecraft.

All practical effects too, dont think I saw any CGI at all.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
I watched Satan's Slaves (2017 I think) last night on Shudder. Had a great time watching it, some genuinely unnerving scenes.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I recently rewatched The Editor again.
It's a comedy, of course, but it mimics the giallo style so well, in my opinion, and has some delightful practical effects. It's one of my favourites of 2014, easily.

Two of the guys went on to make The Void, which is also very good.

I wish someone would fund these guys to make another feature film.