• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm technically putting a large target in my head, because alot of these chuds are expecting someone like us to report / talk about it

And nobody has since the 3 days the tweet has been up, but eh

Context: The Official Hotpocket Twitter asked it's usersbase if there was any popular content creators they would like to collaborate with

And of course, a bunch of popular content creators, like Brittany Broski, Michael Reeves and even MCProHosting jokingly replying back

What gets unnerving however, is when Stonetoss, decided to charm in

For those who don't know (or haven't read the title) Stonetoss is a webcomic artist who makes blatant white supremacy, transphobic, "race realist", homophobic, sexist, fear-conspiracy theory mongering and other dogwhistles progranada

EO9jOxjX4AALRrm
EO9jOxgW4AAj50o
EO9jOxLWAAAS5_9

Stonetoss quote tweeted Hot Pocket's call, with one his older and more infamous comics, about it's thinly disguised anti-race mixing message, underline with a punchline about how it has nothing to do with the ad campaign

Hot Pocket then replied to Mr.Toss with a simple "nice"

What's even more terrifying is the reaction form his base form this offical reply / endorsement

And so many variants on people saying "OMG BASED" "Say Hi to the evil journos and BuzzFeed lads!!" "this is totally going to piss off the woke crowd!!!" "I'm gonna totally gonna buy some HotPockets™" and other celebratory/ """""jokey"""" and """"memey"""" tweets

Normally, I wouldn't really care about this, espically since so many people are desperately want someone to call them out on them and I don't play by the reverse psychology game

However, after thinking about it, I realized that this is a perfect example of how not only normalized the alt-right is becoming, but how this can easily be used a "pipeline" for the alright

I didn't want to get into detail, because so many better writers and researchers have explained it better

(I can't use the Tweet analyzer, because I don't have a Twitter anymore, but if anyone could tell me the impressions form that tweet alone, it could tell us how many people could have been introduced to Stonetoss ideology and bubble for the first time)

And here we have one of the biggest food family/ young adult brand, interacting with a littearly Nazi, exposing kids, unexpected everyday people, moms or people who probably not that political, to hateful spiteful content when they see something so large like HotPocket, saying to a artist who flat out believes that Holocaust did not happen, is "nice"

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Hot Pockets is food for grade school kid so hopefully no one here eats them in the first place. Yeesh those "comics."

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
how exactly is he well known?
never heard of him before, and likely any response to any potentially controversial web comic artist that hotpockets doesn't happen to know is going to illicit the same response

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in fact, it seems like every product we are offered for sale at our local markets are canceled for being bad for everything. turns out money is bad.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
The subsequent comics are vile, but that first one, out of context, you wouldn't know it's intended to be critical of "race-mixing." I just saw it as "advertisers use sex in absurd ways, in this case juxtaposing kissing with eating hamburgers."

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to disclose:

Even though my nickname in high school may or may not have been Hot Pockets, I have absolutely no relation with the brand.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
this is the worst thing Hot Pockets have done since they burned the top of the mouth of everyone who has ever eaten a Hot Pocket

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guarantee you that poor intern at the...hot pocket Twitter account, had no fucking idea.

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
Working closely with a lot of social media folks that made a lot of mistakes, I'm pretty sure he had no idea of who Stonetoss is and didn't get how racist the comic was.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I doubt the person handling the Hot Pocket account was aware of who they were dealing with. But hey, this is an opportunity for me to plug Thought Slime, so here we fucking go!

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hot Pockets are one of the greatest inventions of man.

I trust them to fix this mess up.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that the owner of Hot Pockets, Nestle should be cancelled:

In 2019, Nestlé announced that they couldn't guarantee that their chocolate products were free from child slave labour, as they could trace only 49% of their purchasing back to the farm level. The Washington Post noted that the commitment taken in 2001 to eradicate such practices within 4 years had not been kept, neither at the due deadline of 2005, nor within the revised deadlines of 2008 and 2010, and that the result was not likely to be achieved for 2020 either.

Anti-union activities
Nestlé has been involved in extensive union-busting activity in Colombia since it first arrived there. According to a spokesman for Sinaltrainal, the Colombian Foodworkers Union: "Nestlé converts the factories into camps for the public security forces in order to create terror in the community, destroy the unity of the workers, and misinform the members of the union, with the goal of pitting them against the leaders and destroying the movement."

Nestlé approaches water purely as a commodity. In 1994 Helmut Maucher, Nestlé's CEO commented, "Springs are like petroleum. You can always build a chocolate factory. But springs you have or you don't have." His successor, Peter Brabeck-Letmathe, was criticized when, in a 2005 documentary, he similarly promoted and rationalized the commodification of water, saying: "One perspective held by various NGOs—which I would call extreme—is that water should be declared a human right."

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Chances of the Hot Pocket Social Media Manager being an uninformed idiot are like 95%.

Hot Pockets remain un-cancelled until more evidence is presented.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know I feel like it's safe to say Hot Pockets just didn't know Stonetoss was racist, Nazi comics. Saying they "back Stonetoss" is kind of an overstatement. Not to say people shouldn't be telling Hot Pockets NOW that Stonetoss is Nazi comics... but assuming they already knew that and condemning them based on that...... is ridiculous. The thread title is kind of clickbaity.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How would anyone ever find a hot pockets twitter account ? Is that something people actually search for and follow? Am I really this out of touch and following hot pockets is a normal thing for more than like 2 or 3 weirdos in the whole goddam world?

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
All I see is a single word comment. First time I've heard of any of these people. Perhaps they're in the same boat.

I was expecting a full blown expose on hot pocket funding racist comics from that thread title.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The subsequent comics are vile, but that first one, out of context, you wouldn't know it's intended to be critical of "race-mixing." I just saw it as "advertisers use sex in absurd ways, in this case juxtaposing kissing with eating hamburgers."

Yeah I had to think for a second to figure out what the comic was saying. Partly because I don't think it's even doing a good job of conveying its race-mixing message. Those examples OP provided tho holy fuck.

I doubt this social media coordinator had any idea who this guy is.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
How would anyone ever find a hot pockets twitter account ? Is that something people actually search for and follow? Am I really this out of touch and following hot pockets is a normal thing for more than like 2 or 3 weirdos in the whole goddam world?

There are over fifty seven thousand followers of the Hot Pockets twitter account.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are over fifty seven thousand followers of the Hot Pockets twitter account.

yea but is this really a thing normal people do? Are they not bots/hot pockets employees? I don't use twitter but if i did I can't imagine I'd follow random microwave dinner accounts , and my friends aren't all the most cultured people but I'd be shocked if any of them do either.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I saw a promoted tweet today of the Kraft Mac and Cheese account grieving the death of Mr. Peanut. Corporate Twitter is fucking weird.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
yea but is this really a thing normal people do? Are they not bots/hot pockets employees? I don't use twitter but if i did I can't imagine I'd follow random microwave dinner accounts , and my friends aren't all the most cultured people but I'd be shocked if any of them do either.

what are ya gonna tweet?

bot pocket

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017

Fast food twitter accounts are some of the most infamous accounts on Twitter. See: Wendy's and Arbys.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fast food twitter accounts are some of the most infamous accounts on Twitter. See: Wendy's and Arbys.

fast food I can kind of understand. Wendys made sense because she's "a person" or a personification of the brand at least and tweets with a personality. Also I would assume most people have a better relationship with fast food brands than with microwave trash, but again I don't know. Just a feeling.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
All I see is a single word comment. First time I've heard of any of these people. Perhaps they're in the same boat.

I was expecting a full blown expose on hot pocket funding racist comics from that thread title.

Will admit that I was expecting the same.

I don't know who this web comic person is, and presumably the social media person at the brand didn't either.

Likely just saw something that was gaining traction and decided to acknowledge it.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
"backed" is a very strong word and I didnt expect to see a dick in this thread neither. Theyll probably delete it