• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
  • DQ made a succesful jump from 2D JRPG to 3D JRPG
  • DQ11 feels like an epic journey
  • Camera controls
  • Different outfits
  • You can move during battles if you want to, but it's still classic turn based
  • There are a variety of horse and monster mounts (these could be a bike, a skateboard, rollerblades or your caught Pokemon, like in Let's Go)
  • No random battles, enemies all visible on the field
  • High amount of difficulty options and sets of pre-set strategies...
  • ...allowing for both a tough difficulty aswell as a chill time with zero grind
  • All your pokemon that you currently carry gain exp and will regain all lost HP/SP upon level up (controversial, but I want it as an option)

Convince me otherwise.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
They need to go further I think. Upturn the conventions by making it an open air game like BotW. Heck, Nintendo should let them use the BotW technology to build it.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
  • Camera controls
  • Different outfits
  • There are a variety of horse and monster mounts (these could be a bike, a skateboard, rollerblades or your caught Pokemon, like in Let's Go)
  • ...allowing for both a tough difficulty aswell as a chill time with zero grind
  • All your pokemon that you currently carry gain exp and will regain all lost HP/SP upon level up (controversial, but I want it as an option)

Convince me otherwise.

Yup, DQ XI & Xenoblade 2 were the games I imagined when thinking of an evolution for pokemon franchise in terms of the actual game world & exploration.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
And if they don't want to make it Square can always make another DQ Jokers.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
It's too slow for a Pokémon post game.

It would make an "epic" campaign, but it would make breeding, catching, training a chore.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
From a gameplay perspective, I still think that random encounters suit Pokemon games better than wild Pokemon appearing in the overworld.

Wandering around aimlessly doing nothing while waiting for the right enemy to spawn in DQ games is WAY more boring than constantly triggering random encounters until the right Pokemon appears.

But I agree for the rest. A Draconian Quest equivalent for Pokemon would be a godsend.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
It's the perfect template for a 3D Zelda actually.

I'd love it if Nintendo took a look at DQ11 and tried to make a similar Zelda game.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
That's not a hot take. Pokemon started life as a Dragon Quest 5 immitator. Why stop now?

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the perfect template for a 3D Zelda actually.

I'd love it if Nintendo took a look at DQ11 and tried to make a similar Zelda game.
DSvY8Nc.gif

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not at all a hot take, Pokemon is heavily inspired by Dragon Quest. You are totally right OP, that would be a good direction for the series to take.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair all those things are already a chore.
And I agree, but since the campaigns arent fun either due to the lack of dificulty and GF trying to go for a "cinematic" campaign making the games slower.

Since I only care about the MP and you sadly need to spend too much time on breeding, I care more about not making that part of the game even slower.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And I agree, but since the campaigns arent fun either due to the lack of dificulty and GF trying to go for a "cinematic" campaign making the games slower.

Since I only care about the MP and you sadly need to spend too much time on breeding, I care more about not making that part of the game even slower.
I mean they should just make the whole game better . And multiplayer stuff is a different issue. It shouldn't be that much of a chore to be competitive

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Absolutely. Haven't played Dragon Quest XI, but from videos ect. I really hope we get an evolved Pokemon, I'm honestly shocked that they keep reusing the same formula since the Gameboy.

They have the money. Full animations and full voice acting should be a standard.

They need to go even further imo.

This as well... they have the ability and the potential!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's too slow for a Pokémon post game.

It would make an "epic" campaign, but it would make breeding, catching, training a chore.

They would just need to open up a suite of options and post game content after completion of the main story/campaign that would specifically cater to typical post game activities.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I agree so much. I'm almost done with DQXI and I really was thinking "man if only Pokemon had towns like this."

May 21, 2018
Baltimore MD
  • Camera controls
  • Different outfits
Convince me otherwise.

The bold are legit the biggest changes that need more focus in the next gen of PKMN to be stay interesting to me in the future. I need more customization options for my hero, and shoot even my monsters. They should all be able to wear hats. Moving in battle would add to the immersion, and bring it closer to parity w/ the anime I loved when I was a kid. And after Let's Go, I'd be straight washed if they added random battles back in after making them more streamlined. I'm interested to see what the project shapes up to be int he end though. And as someone above stated if it can start to crest to something like the Dragon Quest Monsters games, I think that would be cool. Played a lot of Joker back in the day and remember liking that a bunch. You make a lot of valid points OP. Don't really want to fight you on that.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
A lot of RPGs should follow the DQ11 template, but if there's one thing I'd change it would be to make the world map seamless a la DQ8 instead of segmented into areas.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

Is there any specific reason why Gamefreak wouldn't go all out for Pokemon Switch and make it a big 3D RPG? Or something at least similar to the GameCube games?

Only thing holding them back before was the power of the handhelds right? Right?

😭

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.

Is there any specific reason why Gamefreak wouldn't go all out for Pokemon Switch and make it a big 3D RPG? Or something at least similar to the GameCube games?

Only thing holding them back before was the power of the handhelds right? Right?

😭
They have very interesting "philosophies" when it comes to what players want.