• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they have what it takes to make something even close honestly. DQ9 trounced them on the DS, which was their home turf, and expecting something like DQ11 out of GameFreak is just, yeah...
And if they don't want to make it Square can always make another DQ Jokers.
Joker is finished, but they're making a new Monsters for consoles, starring a young Erik and Mia:

New-Dragon-Quest-Monsters-Game.jpg

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Haven't played Dragon Quest XI, but from videos ect. I really hope we get an evolved Pokemon, I'm honestly shocked that they keep reusing the same formula since the Gameboy.

They have the money. Full animations and full voice acting should be a standard.

This as well... they have the ability and the potential!

Even if they had the money to put out annual games of that quality I doubt they'd want to because they're already selling millions.
To get something like DQ11 it doesn't matter how much money they throw at it, its going to take years of development, a different business model and to look anything like DQ11- better hardware. One day, perhaps.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
How is DQXI a perfect template when Pokemon games are supposed to have good music

No, No No Kino is the best Pokémon game of all time. Fact.

Scrap GameFreak. Hire Level-5
lmfao I really like Ni No Kuni 1's atmosphere, visuals and music but damn were the combat and monster catching mechanics awful. It's the exact opposite of what the series needs. Level-5 are extremely inconsistent, they would absolutely fuck it up. Plus they've got Yo-Kai, which is their own twist on it anyway.

Game Freak may not take risks but they put out consistently good enough games to keep Pokemon one of the biggest franchises in the world.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
That's not a hot take OP. Cold take maybe? DQXI is a fantastic JRPG and all JRPG could learn a thing or two from it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they have what it takes to make something even close honestly. DQ9 trounced them on the DS, which was their home turf, and expecting something like DQ11 out of GameFreak is just, yeah...

Joker is finished, but they're making a new Monsters for consoles, starring a young Erik and Mia:

New-Dragon-Quest-Monsters-Game.jpg

Those are probably the perfect characters to make a DQ Monsters about. Loved their interaction. Erik is a great character in the game too. Kinda hope we could see Veronica & Serena for some cross-sibling banter

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know man, you are not wrong, but i think Pokèmon needs a bigger shake up than just upping the production and visual values upon a traditional structure.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if the game actually had the monster arena from VIII like it should have

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think it's time for the battles to be part of the world 1:1, and even moving around as the trainer during them would be nice. DQXI is doing it, so why not Pokémon? That's the kind of evolutions I want out of the series.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
100% Agree with OP, I even pointed this out in a "Xeno 2 is a perfect template for a 3D Pokemon" thread. :D

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they had the money to put out annual games of that quality I doubt they'd want to because they're already selling millions.
To get something like DQ11 it doesn't matter how much money they throw at it, its going to take years of development, a different business model and to look anything like DQ11- better hardware. One day, perhaps.

??

I'd rather they look at Xenoblade to be honest for the world design, but DQXI is obviously a better match for the battle system.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What incentive do Game Freak have to build something that extensive? Sales are strong despite taking baby steps in overworld design, they have no competition to give them a kick up the ass, and Nintendo can't boss them about either. I don't think you'll see massive changes to Pokemon anytime soon.

Oct 25, 2017
What incentive do Game Freak have to build something that extensive? Sales are strong despite taking baby steps in overworld design, they have no competition to give them a kick up the ass, and Nintendo can't boss them about either. I don't think you'll see massive changes to Pokemon anytime soon.
The very unfortunate truth. Pokémon suffers from the CoD effect: no reason to keep innovating when the money almost literally makes itself.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you would have a lot of reworking to do within. DQ XI is almost archaic in its core loop and actual combat, its almost ridiculous how little is actually going on that movement is combat was put in to literally do nothing

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, i think its well past time to just accept that Pokemon is Pokemon. That's not a bad thing, it's popular, its been popular for 2 decades and it will be popular 2 decades from now.

It's cool that Dragon Quest and Zelda made massive leaps in tech and level design, doesn't mean that Pokemon has to, or even should. If people love Pokemon the way it is, who are we to say they should change it.

................With that being said if they wanted to make the game look like Dragon Quest XI or Xenoblade Chronicles that would be RAD

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I think you would have a lot of reworking to do within. DQ XI is almost archaic in its core loop and actual combat, its almost ridiculous how little is actually going on that movement is combat was put in to literally do nothing
I'm like 3/4th the way done with DQ XI right now and I genuinely forgot that I can actually move in battle.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Someone doesnt know anything about Gamefreak's relationship to Pokémon

Right there's way to many people jumping to conclusions about my knowledge on the fact GameFreak own a great chunk of the Pokémon Company thus making what I said impossible. I know this.

I'd just like to say that my statement was in the realms of not giving a flying shit about the reality of the situation and was more a statement at the utter blind incompetence of GameFreak to actually make a new and different Pokémon game. Where a game like No No Kuni in my opinion is a far better Pokémon game than any other Pokémon game in recent history, and that Level 5 were far more deserving than GameFreak in terms of game development.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I like the idea but something about DQ11 just didn't seem to work for me. I was really enjoying it at first but after doing a mission set around a town and a painting I just kind of never picked it up again. It's just a bit too slow. Needs a 2x speed option. I still enjoy rpg's but I do struggle with slow battle systems now. I found FFXII much easier to get on with due the gambit system and 2x speed. I'd like it as a template but as a much faster game to play.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Finally someone made a thread, yes DQ11 is the perfect example how a pokemon game should be designed for console systems, not Breath of the Wild or No No Kuni, it's Dragon Quest and 11 to be exact, it's I imagined pokemon would look like and the maps to be designed like.

Also wasn't pokemon inspired by DQ originally? Even the Pokeball idea was very similar to that monsters capsule from DQ anime.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  • DQ made a succesful jump from 2D JRPG to 3D JRPG
  • DQ11 feels like an epic journey
  • Camera controls
  • Different outfits
  • You can move during battles if you want to, but it's still classic turn based
  • There are a variety of horse and monster mounts (these could be a bike, a skateboard, rollerblades or your caught Pokemon, like in Let's Go)
  • No random battles, enemies all visible on the field
  • High amount of difficulty options and sets of pre-set strategies...
  • ...allowing for both a tough difficulty aswell as a chill time with zero grind
  • All your pokemon that you currently carry gain exp and will regain all lost HP/SP upon level up (controversial, but I want it as an option)

Convince me otherwise.
You have my support.

Also, you could have more than 4 moves so that you won't waste PP on weak enemies in a dungeon.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Yo-Kai Watch have some good ideas too
At least for what 3ds hardware was concerned, those yokai watch games easily blow past my enjoyment of the latest gens of pokemon. I feel so much more personality in the NPCs and general setting of the world. Yokai Watch on the switch looks more like Ni No Kuni , but i think the story would still hold up if it keeps up the tone. Pokemon is dead set on the friendly attitude of your rivals and blank-slate-ness of your player character, radical departures aren't that likley in that regard.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It would be interesting if battles were real time and you controlled the Pokemon itself with moves set on timers that are determined by various factors of what the move is.

Also, as long as they keep wild Pokemon visible while running around, I'll be there day 1. I can't do random battles anymore, it just sucks all the fun out of it.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's already in the series since X and Y, though it could be heavily expanded and allow more options for males and allow cross dressing as the current system is still a tad bit sexist.

You can move during battles if you want to, but it's still classic turn based

Not really sure what benefit that would suit for Pokémon as you aren't controlling the Pokémon but rather the trainers.

All your pokemon that you currently carry gain exp

Already exist via the Exp all, which existed since X and Y and was made mandatory in Let's Go.

and will regain all lost HP/SP upon level up (controversial, but I want it as an option)

Hmm, I don't really see a problem with this honestly.

Yes, but it doesn't stop me from giving an opinion that GF don't deserve to make Pokémon any more.

That has to be one of the most daftest thing that I have ever heard someone ever said.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The article you're citing is referencing the same trailer btw. Despite the "huge downgrade graphically" that looks like DQXI to me.

And im not sure what the debate is. I said switch cant make a game that looks as good as DQ11, which it cant because the switch version looks significantly worse. Like I didn't think id have to explain that a graphically compromised port running on the hardware doesn't meant it looks as good.

Last edited:

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
That has to be one of the most daftest thing that I have ever heard someone ever said.
The original comment was a little hyperbolic, but your response wasn't much better. I can think of many developers who could probably do some really exciting things with the Poke'mon franchise. Which, honestly, would not hurt given how bad I thought Sun and Moon were.