For US politics and election threads

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

The House on Saturday passed legislation that could trigger a nationwide ban of TikTok if its Chinese owner does not sell the video app.

While lawmakers in the House advanced a similar bill last month, this effort is different for two reasons: It is attached to a sweeping foreign aid bill providing support for Ukraine and Israel. And it addresses concerns from some members of the Senate by extending the deadline for TikTok to find a buyer.

President Biden supports the effort. That means TikTok being forced to sell, or face a possible ban, is on the fast-track to becoming law.

National security officials in Washington have feared that the Chinese government could use TikTok to promote propaganda aimed at interfering in U.S. elections, or surveil some of the 170 million Americans who use the app every month.

Those concerns remain largely hypothetical.

Under the bill just passed by the House, TikTok would be given up to a year to find a company, or group of investors, to acquire it. That extends the timeline from the six-month window the app was given in the original bill the House passed last month, which some Senators said was too short.

It's not known exactly how much TikTok is worth, but analysts peg its privately-owned parent company, ByteDance, at around $225 billion. TikTok is by far the company's most successful service.

Lewis, of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, is doubtful the latest push will result in ByteDance letting go of TikTok. But, he noted, it does forestall the issue until after the November presidential election:

"The bill buys time to figure out a real solution, while putting space between passage and the election."

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Now it's on Biden, but he said he would approve this. Very interesting times ahead, I think they ultimately choose to shutdown over selling to a western company.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Crazy that Biden is going to choose to be the president that banned a generations favorite social media platform. Oof. They are going to be pissed.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Good. It's fucking crazy that the Chinese can run social networks in the west while ours are banned over there.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does an extended deadline insisted upon by the Senate even matter - TikTok's real juice is the algorithm, not the app, and I have extreme doubts they'd ever sell the algorithm because that's the real prize.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that Biden is going to choose to be the president that banned a generations favorite social media platform. Oof. They are going to be pissed.

I think the preference is that they sell, but...yeah. There's a reason this is in the article:

Lewis, of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, is doubtful the latest push will result in ByteDance letting go of TikTok. But, he noted, it does forestall the issue until after the November presidential election:

"The bill buys time to figure out a real solution, while putting space between passage and the election."

They want young people to use the app to get other young people to vote before going against their wishes on this.

Good. It's fucking crazy that the Chinese can run social networks in the west while ours are banned over there.

Maybe it's okay to not take cues on how to govern from a brutal dictatorship.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The article in the WSJ last month explained pretty well why this was being pushed so hard all of sudden when this was really just something Trump wanted and everyone around here hated it when he wanted it. It's because it was detrimental to Israeli messaging as it it was very pro-palestine.
WSJ: How TikTok Was Blindsided by U.S. Bill That Could Ban It

It was slow going until Oct. 7. The attack that day in Israel by Hamas and the ensuing conflict in Gaza became a turning point in the push against TikTok, Helberg said. People who historically hadn't taken a position on TikTok became concerned with how Israel was portrayed in the videos and what they saw as an increase in antisemitic content posted to the app.

Anthony Goldbloom, a San Francisco-based data scientist and tech executive, started analyzing data TikTok published in its dashboard for ad buyers showing the number of times users watched videos with certain hashtags. He found far more views for videos with pro-Palestinian hashtags than those with pro-Israel hashtags. While the ratio fluctuated, he found that at times it ran 69 to 1 in favor of videos with pro-Palestinian hashtags.

Rep. Mike Gallagher (R., Wis.), at lectern, was in contact with a data scientist who found far more views for TikTok videos with pro-Palestinian hashtags than those with pro-Israel hashtags. PHOTO: MICHAEL BROCHSTEIN/ZUMA PRESS
TikTok has said its platform doesn't promote one side of an issue over another.

Goldbloom, who has advocated a ban or sale of TikTok, posted about his findings on X, gaining widespread attention. Nikki Haley cited the analysis in a Republican presidential primary debate. Goldbloom heard from the office of Rep. Mike Gallagher (R., Wis.).

Gallagher heads a House committee focused on China, and the concerns about Israel-Hamas videos on TikTok spurred him and other committee members to renew their attempts to force a sale or ban.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
General Electric is owned by Haier, a Chinese company. Why hasn't it been banned by Congress?

I guess you specifically have to be hosting pro-Palestinian content to get bipartisan ire in DC.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this was bundled into the foreign aid bill for Ukraine is such bullshit and should be illegal. So if a House member didn't want to ban TiTok they would vote no on this bill...but that would also mean they're voting no on supporting Ukraine. It's absolute lunacy how this is structured.

Separate issues, separate bills. End of story.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I'm just here to see how the Supreme Court handles the first amendment lawsuit that comes from this. Pretty sure it's gonna be that the US constitution doesn't apply to foreign entities but still interesting nonetheless.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
The article in the WSJ last month explained pretty well why this was being pushed so hard all of sudden when this was really just something Trump wanted and everyone around here hated it when he wanted it. It's because it was detrimental to Israeli messaging as it it was very pro-palestine.
They really hate that people were able to see what was happening in Gaza in real-time so, their pro-Israeli propaganda stopped working.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The fact that this was bundled into the foreign aid bill for Ukraine is such bullshit and should be illegal. So if a House member didn't want to ban TiTok they would vote no on this bill...but that would also mean they're voting no on supporting Ukraine. It's absolute lunacy how this is structured.

Separate issues, separate bills. End of story.
I don't disagree as I am very against this.

But honestly that's how bills have been for over 100 years.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Israel support AND Tiktok ban in the same bill???

Congrats to Trump on winning the 2024 election jesus CHRIST

EDIT: basically you're losing anybody under 30. Very dumb move

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
is it normal for an actual federal law to specifically refer to products by brand name? that's weird right?

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
If Zoomers run into the arms of a fascist after the GOP House passed a bill that might result in Tik Tok being banned after the election happens, then maybe we should be reflecting on why they were going to bat so hard for a toxic social media app that's warped their perspectives this much.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Nobody under thirty votes (or at least rarely in numbers large enough to matter).

That's like, objectively not true. 2020 and 2022 saw record-breaking turnout by under 30s which helped dems secure the presidency in 2020, swung the senate in 2022 and made massive gains in the house in the same election.
Like it or not, dems need young people to vote and disenfranchising the segment of the youth might seriously come back to bite democrats in November. Dangerous game they're playing.

Jan 23, 2024

Yeah it seemed very weird why all of a sudden this became a big deal again after it completely failed to gain traction last time. Turns out it's all in the name of the country's continued baffling support of Israel's genocide.

Moves like this can genuinely cost Democrats the reelection. I don't they realize there's actually an upper limit to the "what are ya gonna do, vote for the other guy??" rhetoric.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If Zoomers run into the arms of a fascist after the GOP House passed a bill that might result in Tik Tok being banned after the election happens, then maybe we should be reflecting on why they were going to bat so hard for a toxic social media app that's warped their perspectives this much.

This wouldn't matter if Biden's dumbass wasn't so enthusiastic about signing the bill. Democrats are all in on this bullshit. Even with multiple hard right Republicans coming out and making it clear that they want to buy TikTok.

Capricorn

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good, we should only use social media controlled by US based conglomerates, as God intended /s.

I fully support banning TikTok and most other forms of social media btw, but there's no chance in hell ByteDance doesn't arrange a sale to someone like Microsoft, which will most likely result in a seamless transition for end users. Making this move right now it's going to bring A LOT of negative publicity for the Dems just before the election, and it's not like Republicans aren't salivating at the idea either so... Why couldn't they just wait until after the election to pass the law if they're so inclined?

Aug 31, 2019
National security officials in Washington have feared that the Chinese government could use TikTok to promote propaganda aimed at interfering in U.S. elections, or surveil some of the 170 million Americans who use the app every month.

Those concerns remain largely hypothetical.

I don't really have an opinion about the main topic either way, but I find this line kind of funny. I imagine at the point external bodies can see it's no longer hypothetical it's far too late.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about this.

I know the other day there was some news about lobbyists from the Chinese govt (and not from TikTok independently) coming to try to argue against this bill, and I'd be interested in hearing about that relationship and what it means relative to this bill. I want to believe that the allegedly small percentage of US users means that they don't care, and that US influence/money is unimportant relative to the clout this app is supposed to have on the world stage - at least that's something I've read here.

But I'm still not sure I'm with this. I think there's gotta be either a better way or more material proof that they gotta divest from the US.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Since there's a delay in implementation, I doubt it will be a factor in people staying home this election. And it probably won't matter at all if ByteDance agrees to sell.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This will go to the courts no doubt and I think people will be surprised in what may happen if it goes to that. Remember when Montana tried to ban the app?

TikTok will have much more time than the 6 months the bill says.

Oct 29, 2017
Space
Yeah it seemed very weird why all of a sudden this became a big deal again after it completely failed to gain traction last time. Turns out it's all in the name of the country's continued baffling support of Israel's genocide.

Moves like this can genuinely cost Democrats the reelection. I don't they realize there's actually an upper limit to the "what are ya gonna do, vote for the other guy??" rhetoric.
Like there's, not five American based social media companies where you find the exact same pro-Palestine, anti-genocide stance?

I fucking swear. TikTok. Tik god damn tok. Abortion? Nah. LGBTQ right? Nah a working fucking government? Nah. TikTok. If that's what it takes. Fuck those dumb kids.

If repelling Trump hangs on kids, fuck all the pieces of shit voting for him, not the kids.

I already want nothing do with people who voted from Trump. Fuck those dumb kids.

Rezzzz

Aug 7, 2023
I thought this was almost guaranteed to get killed by the Senate. Is this really going to pass?

OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1781747801187098753

The bill's quick path through Congress is extraordinary because it targets one company and because Congress has taken a hands-off approach to tech regulation for decades. Lawmakers have failed to act despite efforts to protect children online, safeguard users' privacy and make companies more liable for content posted on their platforms, among other measures.

The TikTok ban reflects widespread concerns from lawmakers about China.

Members of both parties, along with intelligence officials, have worried that Chinese authorities could force ByteDance to hand over American user data or direct the company to suppress or boost TikTok content favorable to its interests. TikTok has denied assertions that it could be used as a tool of the Chinese government and has said it has not shared U.S. user data with Chinese authorities.

The U.S. government has not publicly provided evidence that shows TikTok shared U.S. user data with the Chinese government or tinkered with the company's popular algorithm, which influences what Americans see.

Organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union have backed the app. "Congress cannot take away the rights of over 170 million Americans who use TikTok to express themselves, engage in political advocacy, and access information from around the world," said Jenna Leventoff, a lawyer for the group.

"It is unfortunate that the House of Representatives is using the cover of important foreign and humanitarian assistance to once again jam through a ban bill that would trample the free speech rights of 170 million Americans, devastate 7 million businesses, and shutter a platform that contributes $24 billion to the U.S. economy, annually," said Alex Haurek, a spokesman for the company.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Nah I bet they sell.

Clever timing too, by the way. Ensure any political fallout happens after the election.

Doubt they will. They've said they won't.

Like there's, not five American based social media companies where you find the exact same pro-Palestine, anti-genocide stance?

I fucking swear. TikTok. Tik god damn tok. Abortion? Nah. LGBTQ right? Nah a working fucking government? Nah. TikTok. If that's what it takes. Fuck those dumb kids.

Except there isn't to the extent that you can find it on TikTok. American social media companies are actively censoring anything to do with the Palestinian genocide.

The idea that you aren't going to vote because an app is banned is bonkers to me.

It's bonkers to me that the US government is banning an app because Biden's favorite ally can't hide their genocide.

God damn. If banning TikTok is enough to swing the election to Trump, than we deserve it and fuck those dumb kids.

What about fuck the politicians that are doing things their constituents don't want?