• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The same disciplining tools you described (and many more) will be used against leftists far more than cases like Fairfax. The point is they have the tools, they're effective, and they are used.
The point is they weren't used against aoc, omar or other leftists. They could theoretically, but denying "regular" candidates support would be stepping on a landmine.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
definitely listen to bethany mandel when it comes to anti-semitism

D06zPdwU0AA90hb.jpg

Snow Halation

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2019
Where was the outrage when Ilhan tweeted this

Oh wait yes.... it's all about her faith

I mean yeah, a big part of the current dialogue when it comes to stuff like this is those of a marginalized group are more equipped to criticize aspects of said marginalized group, which is why intersectionality is considered so important. It's why you'll get less pushback when say Bernie Sanders decides to criticize Israel compared to non-Jews.

Also what I touched on in this post:

A big thing a lot of people miss in this false equivalence is that Saudi Arabia isn't the only Muslim-majority nation in the world whereas Israel is the only Jewish-majority nation in the world. Is that something that should matter when pointing out the nation's atrocities? Of course not, but to a lot of people, it absolutely does. That's how things like harmful Jewish tropes getting associated with the nation turn into these big deals alongside other such uncarefully worded criticisms. A common sentiment among my Jewish family is "those Muslims can just go somewhere else, we Jews only have one place that doesn't want to kill us" and this is far from a rare thought. It was similarly hammered into me from a young age, albeit not as harshly as some of my Orthodox relatives who have had a much harder time breaking out of it.

If there was literally one more Jewish-majority nation in the world, you wouldn't see this weaponization of Jewish identity, at least not to the same extent, and why it doesn't really work the same with Islamophobia being directly tied to criticism of specific nations unless you extend it to ALL such countries (and don't get me wrong, there's plenty of Islamophobes that do that).

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denying institutional support to Justin Fairfax if he tries to run is a bad thing?

The actual resolution they're putting out is fine. Omar herself will almost certainly be signing it, because there's nothing actually wrong with it and I'm pretty sure she's messing up because she's not great at talking about this topic and twitter amplifies those problems a hundredfold. (Royalan's read is basically the same as mine as things currently stand.)

Are you honestly not seeing the issue with this and why people who are the right side here are legitimately pissed off at Democrats for being idiots?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Say it with me slowly
Legitimizing manufactured concern by bad faith actors is, in the long run, a losing strategy in politics.
I agree. This is why I'm mad at Omar for legitimizing it. Because the bullshit on Friday was an argument that completely twisted her words, but in her response on twitter on Sunday, she went and actively used that framing. It's like if Obama had just started talking about "Death Panels" and "Obamacare" during the ACA debate, picking up the Fox News framing of the issue. Yes, there are massive double standards you have to be aware of. (Some legitimate fair ones due to history, some bullshit ones due to the right wing's utter lack of shame.) She keeps making unforced errors on this topic on things that shouldn't be hard. Don't RT people when you haven't read the whole tweet! Put out a clarification via press release in response to the bad faith bullshit articles from friday instead of trying to clap back on twitter! The bad faith attacks are always going to be coming from the right wing no matter who you are or what topic it is, and learning how to deal with them is a specific skill set that you're going to need that will cripple you if you're unable to dodge the shots and are instead deliberately opening yourself up to them.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The point is they weren't used against aoc, omar or other leftists. They could theoretically, but denying "regular" candidates support would be stepping on a landmine.

They do it routinely.

... across the country, the DCCC, its allied groups, or leaders within the Democratic Party are working hard against some of these new candidates for Congress, publicly backing their more established opponents, according to interviews with more than 50 candidates, party operatives, and members of Congress. Winning the support of Washington heavyweights, including the DCCC — implicit or explicit — is critical for endorsements back home and a boost to fundraising. In general, it can give a candidate a tremendous advantage over opponents in a Democratic primary.

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/23/dccc-democratic-primaries-congress-progressives/

AOC also faced significant disciplinary tactics. That she was able to overcome them is a credit to her political skills, and the movement behind her candidacy. But she's not out of the woods. There's a possibility her seat could be districted out of existence (as happened to Dennis Kucinich in 2012). Also, her wall st-approved opponent was made the chair of the Queens Democratic Party

http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/ohio-gerrymandering-costs-congress-lib
https://theintercept.com/2019/02/09/ocasio-cortez-district-redistricting-2020/

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone who claims that this resolution is fine without admitting that it is specifically designed to pressure Omar and anyone else who speaks out about the US-Israel relationship is either lying (most likely) or extremely naive.

And there has been absolutely nothing wrong with anything she has said. People who try to claim that the Democrats behind this resolution are acting in good faith are carrying water for evil people.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
You have one Evil party and one Stupid one.

I feel bad for you guys.
Are they stupid, though? Seems to me they're also evil... just less evil and a clear, more preferred option.
They're still not your friends. Many of them also really like money and the preservation of the status quo.

You still have to vote every Republican out of power.
But you should be actively engaged in protesting against and decrying the bad actions of Democrats at the same time.

In fact, you must be more engaged against them than you are with Republicans because you may actually be able to pressure them to curb their mistakes and they won't wear their defiance of slighting you like a badge of honor.

Because they are also part of the problem. And you must never forget that.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Antagonizing another poster. Please try to address the content and refrain from low effort posts.
I agree. This is why I'm mad at Omar for legitimizing it. Because the bullshit on Friday was an argument that completely twisted her words, but in her response on twitter on Sunday, she went and actively used that framing. It's like if Obama had just started talking about "Death Panels" and "Obamacare" during the ACA debate, picking up the Fox News framing of the issue. Yes, there are massive double standards you have to be aware of. (Some legitimate fair ones due to history, some bullshit ones due to the right wing's utter lack of shame.) She keeps making unforced errors on this topic on things that shouldn't be hard. Don't RT people when you haven't read the whole tweet! Put out a clarification via press release in response to the bad faith bullshit articles from friday instead of trying to clap back on twitter! The bad faith attacks are always going to be coming from the right wing no matter who you are or what topic it is, and learning how to deal with them is a specific skill set that you're going to need that will cripple you if you're unable to dodge the shots and are instead deliberately opening yourself up to them.

What is that word ? Concern something. I forgot . Can anyone help ?

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario

this is a lot of words obscuring the context of her clearly being made an example of. Is there a way she could have handled it to, on the margins, have less of the political and media class condemning her? probably, but like who gives a shit. Electoral politics is bigger then that and parties have to account for their own actions.
Like I said, there are easier ways to enforce discipline, this is clearly virtue signaling on the part of democratic leadership and it plays into a larger toxic (and self defeating) trend among american liberals.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who claims that this resolution is fine without admitting that it is specifically designed to pressure Omar and anyone else who speaks out about the US-Israel relationship is either lying (most likely) or extremely naive.

And there has been absolutely nothing wrong with anything she has said. People who try to claim that the Democrats behind this resolution are acting in good faith are carrying water for evil people.
I just called my rep here in Oregon and encouraged him to support Rep. Omar. I'm Jewish, and I'm absolutely disgusted by the attacks against her.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you keep wanting our representatives to go into the temple and upset the money-changers table than don't be fucking surprised when they get crucified. (to use a possibly offensive analogy)

Yes, I'm happy that AOC retracted her public support of Palestine to get elected, because that means AOC is now in congress making shit happen instead of on the sidelines.

Change IS happening, the rules are being rewritten, the money-changers are getting kicked out of the temple, but it's going to take more time and until then you have to message in a way that's going to be effective, rather than a way that's going to be controversial.
Okay, first of all, the Cleansing of the Temple is about clearing money out of religion. It has fuck all to do with money in government. To quote another passage from the good book: "Render all things unto Caesar that belong to Caesar, and all things unto God that belong to God."

That brings me to my second point: Why the fuck did you choose that analogy beyond "they're Jews"? Like shit, could you think of an analogy that wasn't use as ammo for centuries of anti-Semitic violence?

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*looks at the last 6 or so pages.

My God, there are still people defending the bad faith critics of Omar and people that aren't fully onboard in supporting her, after all that she's been being subjected into?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is very infuriating to know the only viable party are naive as hell.
They are not naive. They are just as committed to maintaining the capitalist and imperialist status quo, although only to a slightly less extreme degree as the more openly faschy folks on the other side of the aisle. Painting moves like these as dumb oopsies on the part of well meaning but naive actors absolves them from the blame they deserve.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are not naive. They are just as committed to maintaining the capitalist and imperialist status quo, although only to a slightly less extreme degree as the more openly faschy folks on the other side of the aisle. Painting moves like these as dumb oopsies on the part of well meaning but naive actors absolves them from the blame they deserve.
Mhm.

If there's one thing I can describe as naive though, it's the idea that they think they can sustain it even as their base continues to shift left. Cynically speaking, maybe they just see the writing on the wall and want to grab as much lobbying money as they can before they're out.

Oct 25, 2017
Mhm.

If there's one thing I can describe as naive though, it's the idea that they think they can sustain it even as their base continues to shift left. Cynically speaking, maybe they just see the writing on the wall and want to grab as much lobbying money as they can before they're out.
I definitely am more inclined to believe the latter, personally.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The actual resolution they're putting out is fine. Omar herself will almost certainly be signing it, because there's nothing actually wrong with it and I'm pretty sure she's messing up because she's not great at talking about this topic and twitter amplifies those problems a hundredfold. (Royalan's read is basically the same as mine as things currently stand.)
This is what years of right wing gaslighting does to people. You've been gaslight so hard to that you believe legitimizing this empty political theater (that no-one truly believes in and which only serves the powerful) is a perfectly normal move. What this resolution does in reality is move the conversation to the right, because it's now just a bit more difficult to speak truth to power re: Israel in the future, because anyone thinking about it will remember how it went down this time. This sets precedent and that is important because the left should be setting precedent and pushing the narrative in the other direction.

The crazy thing is that this pressure isn't even coming from the Republicans. It's the Democrats gaslighting themselves and you're here encouraging it and saying that it's totally cool. How can the situation for the people of Palestine ever improve when you let the Democrats give in to this constant gaslighting?

Iloelemen

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Why are you being way too hard to Omar inspite of all of this and why are you being apologetic towards the bad faith critics?

Oct 26, 2017
This is what years of right wing gaslighting does to people. You've been gaslight so hard to that you believe legitimizing this empty political theater (that no-one truly believes in and which only serves the powerful) is a perfectly normal move. What this resolution does in reality is move the conversation to the right, because it's now just a bit more difficult to speak truth to power re: Israel in the future, because anyone thinking about it will remember how it went down this time. This sets precedent and that is important because the left should be setting precedent and pushing the narrative in the other direction.

The crazy thing is that this pressure isn't even coming from the Republicans. It's the Democrats gaslighting themselves and you're here encouraging it and saying that it's totally cool. How can the situation for the people of Palestine ever improve when you let the Democrats give in to this constant gaslighting?
The hilarious thing is that Kirblar has said on mutilpe times he agrees with Ilhan's point and doesn't believe she's an anti-semite but because of the perceived slight some could take (much of which he also agrees is disengenuous) she must be punished. Don't you worry though, it's not a real punishment because Ilhan's name isn't on the resolution even though it's obvious why the resolution is being made as stated previously!

Not to mention that he thinks that Democrats as a party shouldn't go after GOP members that do blatant acts of racism or bigotry because the Republicans just won't and don't care and because of that shouldn't be judged at the same standard as anyone else.

Like that's some hardcore Yojimboing. I dunno. Maybe I'm (and many others in this thread are) reading his posts wrong.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

he hasn't been gaslit into anything, he just wants to suppress non-Zionist criticism of Israel

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
"I don't think Ilhan Omar is anti-semitic and I do agree that she's being bombarded by bad-faith attacks buuuuut...."

*proceeds to write an entire essay suggesting otherwise*

Man, it's tiring. 22 pages later and we're still seeing the same posts. It's like we're stuck in an endless loop.

EDIT: And FFS, the entire premise of this debacle was disingenuous to begin with! It's sad really, seeing how much these tactics mirror Israel's conflict with Palestine. Just like how IDF soldiers open fire at Palestinians for having the gal to retaliate and defend themselves after years of being subjected to systematic oppression.

Last edited:

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't surprise me just based on the other forums he posts on.

Now that's a meta-joke.

I know AOC has tried to split things down the middle, but I wish Bernie would be more proactive here. We know he supports Ilhan (or at least did, last time), but he has a unique position as a Jewish presidential candidate to be able to explain how criticizing Israel isn't antisemitism.

Oct 25, 2017
Now that's a meta-joke.

I know AOC has tried to split things down the middle, but I wish Bernie would be more proactive here. We know he supports Ilhan (or at least did, last time), but he has a unique position as a Jewish presidential candidate to be able to explain how criticizing Israel isn't antisemitism.
He's kinda weird on issues like this. On the anti-BDS bill he said he doesn't support BDS but feels the right to protest shouldn't be challenged. Yet on many occasions (particularly pre-West Bank bs) he sounds more pro-Israel than against it (though he's since been very critical of settlements and whatnot).

He seems to want to plant himself right on the middle on the issue, not swaying too far in either direction. That's okay ofc, just an odd stance to see today, similar to his gun stance.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The free speech is gone for good in the US or what ? Last time I checked Isreal is a foreign country to the US, how on Earth this is antisemitic ? How the House democrats can vote against one of their own ? I'm speechless...

Oct 26, 2017
What would censure do?
Think of it as a written warning/second strike. From the Senate website:
Less severe than expulsion, a censure (sometimes referred to as condemnation or denouncement) does not remove a senator from office. It is a formal statement of disapproval, however, that can have a powerful psychological effect on a member and his/her relationships in the Senate. In 1834, the Senate censured President Andrew Jackson – the first and only time the Senate censured a president. Since 1789 the Senate has censured nine of its members.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you being way too hard to Omar inspite of all of this and why are you being apologetic towards the bad faith critics?
I'm hard on Omar because it's the third time I've seen her dig a hole via twitter this month. I'm not being "apologetic" for them, I'm saying that they suck and will always suck because you can't get rid of them. They were there in the FREEDOM FRIES era, they're here now, and they'll be here tomorrow too.
The hilarious thing is that Kirblar has said on mutilpe times he agrees with Ilhan's point and doesn't believe she's an anti-semite but because of the perceived slight some could take (much of which he also agrees is disengenuous) she must be punished. Don't you worry though, it's not a real punishment because Ilhan's name isn't on the resolution even though it's obvious why the resolution is being made as stated previously!

Like that's some hardcore Yojimboing. I dunno. Maybe I'm (and many others in this thread are) reading his posts wrong.
Just because you're not racist or anti-semitic or homophobic, etc. doesn't mean that you can't do things that are going to come off that way and upset people who aren't part of the bad actor crew. Royalan's made my point more eloquently earlier in the thread regarding communication and clarity. As part of a party that's a patchwork, learning to navigate those minefields is part of the gig.

And to address M.O.- No, I am not doing this to "silence" anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.