• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see this working. The whole point of the show is Franks rise and eventual fall. Claire has some culpability in this, and has a couple of her own skeletons in her closet, it wasn't nearly the size of Franks. They had been skirting the lines of having him finally be caught, only to fall through. To just be offed in Episode 1 (or offscreen) is the same thing as just ending the show now. What characters work with Claire going forward? Hammerschmidt finally catching Frank goes out the window, as he really wasn't going after Claire, this was all about some amount of Justice for Zoe and Lucas.

I mean, I'll be disappointed in having a show that I started and kept up with not ending in a satisfactory manner, but the show can't continue. It'll either be a sham ending, a disgusting travesty if they film with him, or just a non-ending if they just never came back.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm torn. I watch house of cards because of spacey. But he should pay the consequence for his actions. But I don't know if hoc would be the same without him. And this is the final season. I just don't know...

Bawsto

Oct 31, 2017
It's been on a steady decline since S2 and last season was very trashy so, honestly, I'd rather it end right here and right now.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Hate him or not. He's 80 percent of why I watch.

Honestly, I agree. Kevin Spacey is seemly not a great person and the allegations are deeply disturbing, there however is no denying he is an incredibly good actor that really sold the audience on the character of Frank Underwood.

Oct 28, 2017
I understand not wanting people to lose their jobs but it seems like a terrible reason to keep a story going for no other reason.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of if the show sucks or not, I'm interested in how they could address this from a creative perspective.

Perhaps they could create a bottle episode that writes him off the show. Or voice over alone.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I haven't watched an episode, because I don't have Netflix and have been too busy with other shows.

Keeping Spacey's personal life out of the equation, is it worth watching for someone who's not crazy about politics and isn't American? I like good dramas, so I'd been meaning to watch it someday, but the politics factor isn't the most exciting.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched an episode, because I don't have Netflix and have been too busy with other shows.

Keeping Spacey's personal life out of the equation, is it worth watching for someone who's not crazy about politics and isn't American? I like good dramas, so I'd been meaning to watch it someday, but the politics factor isn't the most exciting.

It's not bad. Not great. Doug Stamper and the relationship between Claire and Frank are about the only things in the show I really enjoyed.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The last season was really quite poor, and the only hope for redemption was finally pitting Claire and Frank at each other in the public eye. I didn't care to keep watching if they were going to drag it out, but it betrays the show if they just write his character off without the payoff that's been building for years.
It's really a terrible situation all around, but I feel like the best course of action is to bring him on and finish it out.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017

This is exactly the problem with killing him off lol. This show has always been Frank's story and I doubt it would be nearly as compelling without him in it. They should just finish the show with this season and end it.

These allegations are horrible and need to be addressed. Either finish the show or cancel it completely. But dont just kill the character off because of the actor.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think that'd be okay. Robin Wright deserves the spotlight.

Oct 27, 2017
The whole point of the series has been building up to all these horrible people getting whats coming to them. It would kind of invalidate the entire series if "Frank died on his way back to the white house". But also it would be just too weird watching it knowing what Spacey did.

littleworm

Oct 25, 2017
They should just reboot the series with Claire, and this time take their time with the progression instead of rushing to getting the main character to the presidency and having some flimsy conspiracy to run the show on.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
End the show. Just end it. It's crossing swiftly into the valley of irrelevance. Regardless of the controversy, it's for the best.

We'll always remember when HoC was THE show to get a Netflix subscription, should've ended while on top of their game.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I said this in the other thread. The first scene of the new season should just be a car going off a cliff.

ape2man

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
End the show. Just end it. It's crossing swiftly into the valley of irrelevance. Regardless of the controversy, it's for the best.

We'll always remember when HoC was THE show to get a Netflix subscription, should've ended while on top of their game.

No, i want to see Frank crash and burn. All the shit he has done will come to a close. :D Like in the REAL WORLD with spacy

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7onuv74hxs6l.jpg

Crayons

Oct 25, 2017
All y'all saying it wouldn't be House of Cards without Spacey are wrong. Robin Wright is amazing as Claire

Oct 28, 2017

He personified a heel that you wanted to like but could not. Can't believe it's now real life.

I remember in Season 1 where he just knew his shit and despite how backhanded and dirty he was in politics, you felt like rooting for him. But by the same token, the end of season 1 made me get into that state where I couldn't like the character anymore
after killing that bald dude (forget name)
. His acting still drew me in for a few more seasons though just to see him play the role, despite me being at odds with the character itself.

In any case, killing off the character may be the only sensible thing to do. More than likely assassinated somehow. Or fill it up with a bunch of backstory episodes of a young Frank Underwood.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
His character dying should have always been the endgame considering how the British series/ book ends but I don't know if the show can continue after Frank. It can continue with Claire but I don't think there's much story there. Although it's only one season left so maybe it could work.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The show has just started filming, so the sense is that Spacey's character could be safely written out without too many logistical hurdles.

Aside from the relatively massive logistical problem of having to scrap and rewrite like a dozen scripts, and somehow write off the show's central character.

How did Law &Order do it, when Mandy Patinkin just decided to stop coming in to work?

scrubadam

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ya kinda unfair to the rest of the people working on the show. Its fine to ruin Spacey's career over what he did, but the rest of the crew didn't do anything. Imagine your some camera man or editor paying off your mortgage and putting your kids through college and getting your job shit canned over Spacey's stupidity.

Demogorgon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why don't they just do a smaller season and wrap it up in 6 episodes or something? and I mean this show has been filming for 5 years now and all of a sudden the word is it was a toxic work environment? What?

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's one of the producers on the show. Even if they killed off the character off-screen wouldn't he make money from the new season? If so, couldn't they just kill the show and start a new show based on the Robin Wright character and much of the rest of the cast?

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i don't see why the show can't move on without him.

Well, for starters because he is one of the producers. And then because it is Frank Underwood's story. His rise to power, his fall from the throne. The whole Claire Underwood heel turn is just stupid, the only reason why they did it was because they killed everybody else that was a threat.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Just end the show.

This season was set up to be a showdown of Frank vs Claire, and it doesn't work if you don't have Frank. And I don't think you can recast him at this point - as much as I dislike it, Kevin Spacey is Frank Underwood. He gave the character his charisma.

As for the crew, their best bet would be to be reshuffled to other Netflix shows.