• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Figured this was a big enough update to warrant "new news new thread".

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/co...e-ilhan-omar-s-latest-israel-comments-n979651

WASHINGTON — The House passed a resolution condemning anti-Semitism and other forms of hatred on Thursday following days of debate over comments by Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., that some lawmakers said were anti-Semitic.

The vote was 427 in favor, with 23 against and one member, Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, voting "present." The 23 lawmakers who opposed the resolution were all Republicans, many of whom wanted a measure that focused solely on anti-Semitism.

Passage of the measure capped off a tumultuous week within the House Democratic caucus: Amid a sharp split among Democrats, an initial plan for a resolution that focused on anti-Semitism was broadened to include language against Islamophobia — Omar is a Muslim — and hatred of many minority groups.

The measure also cited recent death threats against Jewish and Muslim members of Congress and noted that "white supremacists in the United States have exploited and continue to exploit bigotry and weaponize hate for political gain."

Oct 26, 2017
Watch no one in the msm make the Republican nos as big of a news story as they did Ilhan "allegedly" being anti-Semitic.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
king Present is just the icing on the cake

Dec 31, 2017
Both parties are trying to out-dumb the other with this debacle. Lol GOP, how the fuck you gonna vote no on something like this.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't even understand the racism of guys like King. It's like...the white supremacists know they're on your side! You don't need to demonstrate with every vote! Just lie!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geez how dumb are the GOP? This should have been easy for them to just sit back and let the Democrats look like a mess of infighting but no, they gotta go lower and dumber.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite the turn of events lol

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

The party of Hate

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, hello King (NY), I see you voted no. Listen, I know you're the less worse King(R) in the house, but I am going to dance a bloody jig if we can kick your fucking ass out in 2020.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wait... what?

I know it's "only" 20 something of the Republicans, but, what? You watch Democrats spend all week self immolating over this issue and all you had to do was vote yes, but your response was "hold my beer?"

Some of these guys fucking hate brown people, like way more than standard in the GOP.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
what?! The Democrats defeated bigotry?!
giphy.gif

...wait, this did nothing except make 23 republicans look like dicks? oh well...

I fully expect Meghan McCain to spend the next three weeks dedicating a crying rant toward every single one of the No votes, all coming from her own party.

Last edited:

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the dem leadership.

You go after your own, and Steven King, the actual racist and anti-semite, votes present.

You are cowards, where is your moral compass.

Mar 9, 2018
Given what so many democrats did, throwing Omar under the bus through veiled insinuations and equivocations or outright smearing her, I don't really think this registers as anything to me.

The shameful treatment of Omar by Republicans, joined by Democrats, is what stands out to me still. Her courage to face this shameful bipartisan consensus among lawmakers is what stands out to me.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Republicans are the JR Smith of politics. How do you fuck up a simple yes vote you dumb as a rock troglodytes?

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Given what so many democrats did, throwing Omar under the bus through veiled insinuations and equivocations or outright smearing her, I don't really think this registers as anything to me.

The shameful treatment of Omar by Republicans, joined by Democrats, is what stands out to me still. Her courage to face this shameful bipartisan consensus among lawmakers is what stands out to me.
Even if what you say is true, all this did was to have 23 Republicans put their names into official records that they're racists.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Peter fucking King. I fucking can't wait until this hits the news here in Long Island. He's going to get roasted for this.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ashamed to be "represented" by Chris Collins. Thank God most people made rational choices with their votes though.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

I feel the same way. It is a real shame that she is not allowed to ever run for president.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Unsurprising and hilarious that there's two dozen Republicans who couldn't help themselves but vote no on this resolution likely because of the Islamophobia bits, outwardly.

Important to note, Ted Budd, Lee Zeldin, Peter King, Chris Collins, Steve King, and Chip Roy are all in districts that the Dems have already announced they're targeting in 2020. So 6 of 23 immediately just gave themselves an uphill climb on this issue.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a fucking hilarious self-own by the GOP. How stupid do you have to be to vote 'no' on something like this?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused, is this seperate from the resolution that era has been talking about in that other thread, with regards to Omar?

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That just makes me even more confused, I thought this resolution was a democratic thing, in response to Omar specifically. Yet somehow this is now making the GOP look bad?
The first draft was just anti-semitism. It was updated to add Islamophobia (with a few other things touched on) when it was suggested in light of the West Virginia incident targeting Omar and other types of attacks.