• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans control all branches of government. They're in charge. That means the onus is one them to take cut deals to get the votes needed to push them over the top. That's how it works in all other democracies.

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Republicans control all branches of government. They're in charge. That means the onus is one them to take cut deals to get the votes needed to push them over the top. That's how it works in all other democracies.

None of this matters. People who don't currently understand what's in the budget, because they haven't been paying attention, will be satisfied with the false explanation that's being peddled by the Republicans; i.e., that this is all Chuck Schumer's fault. A simple lie is much easier to accept than a complex truth.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
CHIP will be fine. GOP is just using it as a perpetual bargaining chip, no pun intended.

Oct 25, 2017
So, if this is the Schumer shutdown and we are going to blame Democrats does that mean we get to say this is the Shumer save and Democrats get credit if and when it all comes together? I mean surely, Republicans and Trump wouldn't try to have it both ways!

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Besides, the number one thing people held against Dems was their inability to actually stand up and fight for things they believe in.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah we didn't use to dangle children's healthcare off a roof in a threatening manner to force our way.

Now apparently we do.
Well until voters punish the GOP, it will keep on happening. Post ACA, the GOP decided to go against all government medical care initiatives not named Medicare. They fear old people, so they don't even mention to touch that.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
If government shuts down, services will be slower. oh no.
If you don't do this, nearly a million americans are going to be deported.
Boy, some people here are plain racist. And yes, you are a racist if you want to deport people who have lived in America all their lives and lived an American life.

It's racist to enforce immigration laws? What should be done about illegal immigration, do we allow open borders as long as people stay out of trouble, or do we have some type of enforcement. I'm just curious.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone here is missing the real tragedy in this whole debacle; Trump had to cancel his golf trip to do his job! Poor guy. He never gets a break.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If government shuts down, services will be slower. oh no.
If you don't do this, nearly a million americans are going to be deported.
Boy, some people here are plain racist. And yes, you are a racist if you want to deport people who have lived in America all their lives and lived an American life.

If a government shuts down, hundreds of thousands of people will be taken off their jobs without pay.

Also, it's a little extreme to call those people racist.

But then again, if we need to do this to protect DACA, it's worth it. I just hope it doesn't hurt people too much.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's up to the Republicans whether the shutdown happens or not.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Democrats continue to grandstand with this DACA issue. The deadline for these DACA folks isn't until March. They should not force a shutdown due to this, the American people, the military and federal workers should come before any DACA folks especially when the deadline for a spending bill is in a few hours in comparison to the DACA deadline which is in March.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Democrats continue to grandstand with this DACA issue. The deadline for these DACA folks isn't until March. They should not force a shutdown due to this, the American people, the military and federal workers should come before any DACA folks especially when the deadline for a spending bill is in a few hours in comparison to the DACA deadline which is in March.

Tell that to the republicans. They have all the power.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
None of this matters. People who don't currently understand what's in the budget, because they haven't been paying attention, will be satisfied with the false explanation that's being peddled by the Republicans; i.e., that this is all Chuck Schumer's fault. A simple lie is much easier to accept than a complex truth.

People blame the party in power, given that they controk all branches of government they can't pass the blame. Polls are also showing that the public will mostly blame Republicans if we shut down.

Oct 25, 2017

If the GOP cared about The American People, military or federal workers, they probably should play ball and stop screwing over the Democrats. The blame is 100% on the Republican party.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to the republicans. They have all the power.

This continued statement from MSM now and yourself make ABSOLUTELY no sense. Do you have any idea how Congress works? If a simple majority in the Senate was enough to pass a spending bill then we wouldn't have to worry about a shutdown. In fact the GOP has 2 Senators who won't vote Yes on the CR.

The GOP needs to work alongside Democrats to pass this CR. My point of contention is the DACA issue. Why are Democrats willing to die on this hill? Makes no sense to me.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What do Dems have that the GOP want besides the spending bill? They give them that now then in March, what bargaining chip do they have?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP needs to work alongside Democrats to pass this CR. My point of contention is the DACA issue. Why are Democrats willing to die on this hill? Makes no sense to me.
Because you might not give a shit that hundreds of thousands of people are living in fear that the GOP is about to sell them out but others do care. Speaking as someone who has been goddamn terrified since November 2016, I'm very happy that the Democrats are willing to die on this hill. At least someone gives a shit.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
So what happens when another month flies by, McConnell and crew still refuse to put DACA up for a vote and try and guilt trip Democrats into supporting yet another shitty extension?

Like all I want at this point is a floor vote on the bipartisan DACA bills that have come out of both the House and Senate. I won't even put the stipulation on "if they pass" because I know they would in each chamber with significant bipartisan support, but Ryan and McConnell refuse to put them up for a vote even after endlessly promising they would do so. McConnell said he would put whatever Durbin and Graham came up with on the Senate floor once they completed negotiations. That's also how they secured Flake's vote for the tax bill.

Get leadership to stop breaking their promises to the rank-and-file and maybe they can count on their support to keep the government open. As it stands I don't trust GOP leadership in either house to do goddamn shit about DACA, or not to simply try and pass another CR in another month if they get this one, and why should I?

Btw "DACA folks" are "American people." Stop confounding the issue.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, it's you. I see your Twitter is still some hot garbage.

I do look forward to Trump and Republicans being rightfully held accountable for their inhumane, transparently fucked up actions and their inability to ensure a properly functioning Government that they completely control.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Trump grandstanded by revolving DACA for damn reason other then it was Obama and brown people

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It's racist to enforce immigration laws? What should be done about illegal immigration, do we allow open borders as long as people stay out of trouble, or do we have some type of enforcement. I'm just curious.
There is a difference between officers enforcing laws and those that actually root for it to happen. That so many do is disturbing to me especially since it doesn't really effect them personally, there are so many issues that do and yet kicking out illegals is all they can think about.

As for what to do about immigrants already here, well I can't say. Congress can't figure it out so I doubt I can. I would be for amnesty. Let's get every illegal immigrant registered so we at least know who's in our country. Of course obviously nothing is going to be simple.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because you might not give a shit that hundreds of thousands of people are living in fear that the GOP is about to sell them out but others do care. Speaking as someone who has been goddamn terrified since November 2016, I'm very happy that the Democrats are willing to die on this hill. At least someone gives a shit.

Again, the DACA thing doesn't need to be solved today and it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the spending bill. The DACA issue will be hairy and rightfully so, and a DACA deal should be passed, I absolutely agree that folks like yourself should receive permanent legal status in exchange for a few things of course. But that doesn't have to be dealt with today. The spending bill that funds the federal government does. As an American, I will always put the interest of the American people, of American citizens above all others.

Trump grandstanded by revolving DACA for damn reason other then it was Obama and brown people

I have a feeling we will perpetually disagree, but Obama clearly signed the EO that was DACA in an election year for political points. Furthermore it was clearly unconstitutional, since the executive branch does not make laws. Congress does that. If Obama felt these DACA folks were so important he would have worked with his Democratic controlled Congress during the first 2 years of his 1st term to take care of them.

President Trump did the right thing in ending DACA, now Congress can do its job and find a solution for these folks. A solution that grants permanent legal status in exchange for immigration reform that America sorely needs. Virginia Congressman Bob Goodlatte has a great bill that should be the starting point for any talks on DACA. I still wonder why Speaker Ryan hasn't put it up on the House floor for a vote.

Last edited:

Tankman

Nov 2, 2017
Trump stopped the program in order to force a bargaining chip for his bullshit wall. Democrats cannot allow the executive to hold honest Americans hostage because he wants to waste money.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Again, the DACA thing doesn't need to be solved today and it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the spending bill. The DACA issue will be hairy and rightfully so, and a DACA deal should be passed, I absolutely agree that folks like yourself should receive permanent legal status in exchange for a few things of course. But that doesn't have to be dealt with today. The spending bill that funds the federal government does. As an American, I will always put the interest of the American people, of American citizens above all others.
shrug

they are American to me.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing DACA doesn't qualify as a damn good reason in Kennedy's book.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually yes it does. Republicans don't want to pass DACA, and it's naive to assume otherwise. It's literally now or never.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Actually yes it does. Republicans don't want to pass DACA, and it's naive to assume otherwise. It's literally now or never.
Yep and didn't turtle man promise this would be taken care of in January and wasn't it Trump that totally smashed a completely fair bipartisan bill that would have avoided this mess completely?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

Yes I am sure that Republicans would negotiate DACA in good faith. It's not like the current party is built on the back of racism or anything.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX

Of course, of course! Just out of curiosity, what is the price that we should be demanding to not deport people out of the only country they've ever known as punishment for their parents' heinous, heinous actions?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

DACA was law till Trump killed it.

If a government shuts down, hundreds of thousands of people will be taken off their jobs without pay.

Also, it's a little extreme to call those people racist.

But then again, if we need to do this to protect DACA, it's worth it. I just hope it doesn't hurt people too much.

I'd say if you're against DACA completely your opinion of foreigners goes beyond what would be considered a reasonable point of view about immigration.

The GOP doesn't need the Dems help. If they got their act together then they could pass a long term funding bill, yet the refuse to do so.

The GOP could've passed DACA and funded CHIP months ago and have refused to do so, drastic action is required.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This continued statement from MSM now and yourself make ABSOLUTELY no sense. Do you have any idea how Congress works? If a simple majority in the Senate was enough to pass a spending bill then we wouldn't have to worry about a shutdown. In fact the GOP has 2 Senators who won't vote Yes on the CR.

That's the GOP's fault, not the Democrats. The Dems have been trying to work with the GOP, their demands are extremely reasonable.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User has been banned for one week: Derailing thread with disingenuous posts, antagonizing users with false rhetoric
Of course, of course! Just out of curiosity, what is the price that we should be demanding to not deport people out of the only country they've ever known as punishment for their parents' heinous, heinous actions?

Sure thing.

Securing America's Future Act is a solid bill. I know fully well that the Dems won't go along with it entirely but chain migration and the visa lotto need to end completely. Personally I can care more about a wall. President Trump wants it because he campaigned so hard pushing the wall and he likes to keep his campaign promises but I can do without a wall. What we really need is to give ICE the authority to deport illegals as soon as caught. Also make standards higher for folks seeking asylum seeing as many just read off of a script and are in.

This is an overview of the bill.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
. As an American, I will always put the interest of the American people, of American citizens above all others.
e.

then hopefully you should be against this shitshow of an administration that has hurt american standing, damaged American ideals and attacks American staples of Democracy with every fiber of your being.

Tankman

Nov 2, 2017
Sure thing.

Securing America's Future Act is a solid bill. I know fully well that the Dems won't go along with it entirely but chain migration and the visa lotto need to end completely. Personally I can care more about a wall. President Trump wants it because he campaigned so hard pushing the wall and he likes to keep his campaign promises but I can do without a wall. What we really need is to give ICE the authority to deport illegals as soon as caught. Also make standards higher for folks seeking asylum seeing as many just read off of a script and are in.

This is an overview of the bill.

Why are you against chain migration?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I read the past few pages, I was going to post that disgusting McConnel tweet.

There's this at least.