• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Sure thing.

Securing America's Future Act is a solid bill. I know fully well that the Dems won't go along with it entirely but chain migration and the visa lotto need to end completely. Personally I can care more about a wall. President Trump wants it because he campaigned so hard pushing the wall and he likes to keep his campaign promises but I can do without a wall. What we really need is to give ICE the authority to deport illegals as soon as caught. Also make standards higher for folks seeking asylum seeing as many just read off of a script and are in.

This is an overview of the bill.

We just had a week of Trump saying he just wants white people coming in, we really going to act like anything he does is in good faith?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Sure thing.

Securing America's Future Act is a solid bill. I know fully well that the Dems won't go along with it entirely but chain migration and the visa lotto need to end completely. Personally I can care more about a wall. President Trump wants it because he campaigned so hard pushing the wall and he likes to keep his campaign promises but I can do without a wall. What we really need is to give ICE the authority to deport illegals as soon as caught. Also make standards higher for folks seeking asylum seeing as many just read off of a script and are in.

That is an absolutely garbage bill written by morons and anyone who presents that as a good piece of legislation has absolutely no credibility.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I don't understand why Democrats continue to grandstand with this DACA issue
because the DREAMers have been jerked around for long e-fucking-nough. the DREAM Act has literally been out there since August 2001 and Congress (which, somehow, has had the purse strings controlled by Republicans for all but four of those years) has never bothered passing it

If Obama felt these DACA folks were so important he would have worked with his Democratic controlled Congress during the first 2 years of his 1st term to take care of them.
he, uh, literally did

the GOP, with the help of 5 Dems (3 of whom were replaced by Republicans later that year anyway) proceeded to filibuster that attempt

in any event I'm not expecting any good faith here given that you unironically support this garbage fire House Judiciary/HS are trying to pass off as good policy

Last edited:

SneaksnM

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure thing.

This is overall a really shitty bill. We don't need a border wall and we especially don't need to hire more Border Agents and Biometric scanners at the border to stop massive amounts of illegal immigration. Sanctuary cities are really helpful and why is it a common theme with you people to fuck people over just to do it. DACA makes sure that there are no criminals allowed in.
Wow, you'd really want unaccompanied minors to be returned if they have nothing, holy shit you people are evil

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WaPo: A vote to end debate on a short-term spending bill will take place at 10 p.m. Friday: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...ifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.4b7669e3bd1a

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said a vote to end debate on a short-term spending bill will take place at 10 p.m. Friday in a last-ditch effort to avert a government shutdown ahead of a midnight deadline.

McConnell announced the vote on the Senate floor Friday evening.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure thing.

Honestly wish we could deport American's.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, the DACA thing doesn't need to be solved today and it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the spending bill. The DACA issue will be hairy and rightfully so, and a DACA deal should be passed, I absolutely agree that folks like yourself should receive permanent legal status in exchange for a few things of course. But that doesn't have to be dealt with today. The spending bill that funds the federal government does. As an American, I will always put the interest of the American people, of American citizens above all others.

I have a feeling we will perpetually disagree, but Obama clearly signed the EO that was DACA in an election year for political points. Furthermore it was clearly unconstitutional, since the executive branch does not make laws. Congress does that. If Obama felt these DACA folks were so important he would have worked with his Democratic controlled Congress during the first 2 years of his 1st term to take care of them.

President Trump did the right thing in ending DACA, now Congress can do its job and find a solution for these folks. A solution that grants permanent legal status in exchange for immigration reform that America sorely needs. Virginia Congressman Bob Goodlatte has a great bill that should be the starting point for any talks on DACA. I still wonder why Speaker Ryan hasn't put it up on the House floor for a vote.

You don't even know what DACA is.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WaPo: A vote to end debate on a short-term spending bill will take place at 10 p.m. Friday: https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...ifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.4b7669e3bd1a

Yea I just saw. I hope the Dems decide to work in a bipartisan manner (which is why the founders decided on a super majority for the Senate) and actually pass this CR (which should have been a full spending bill to begin with)

Every Democrat that votes no (looking at those in the House) voted against 8.9 million kids not having Chip funded for the next 6 years, something the GOP was actually against. But democracy is all about compromise, compromising on the spending bill, hopefully on DACA, all to reach what's best for the AMERICAN people. It's about NOT thinking in absolutes and being intolerant of different ideas even if you vehemently are against them.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yea I just saw. I hope the Dems decide to work in a bipartisan manner (which is why the founders decided on a super majority for the Senate) and actually pass this CR (which should have been a full spending bill to begin with)

Every Democrat that votes no (looking at those in the House) voted against 8.9 million kids not having Chip funded for the next 6 years, something the GOP was actually against. But democracy is all about compromise, compromising on the spending bill, hopefully on DACA, all to reach what's best for the AMERICAN people. It's about NOT thinking in absolutes and being intolerant of different ideas even if you vehemently are against them.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA

That would be nice if the Republicans had been willing to compromise on anything in recent years.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I lived in the fantasy world where Congressional Republicans intended to negotiate in good faith on DACA.

Hell, I'd even take one where they just acted responsibly RE: CHIP rather than use it as political leverage.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sure thing.

I knew that chain migration would be a hot button thing after that superPAC started airing commercials about it. Not content with attacking illegal immigrants, they have to go after a legal method of gaining citizenship.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

What about the republicans? Why can't they compromise?

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

is your last name Malfoy?

because this post is breathtakingly bad faith

like, I'm not even going to bother responding to this attempt at CHIP spin, given that your own lying-ass eyes would tell you it's not the Republican Party fighting for anything approaching sane health policy. but "NOT thinking in absolutes and being intolerant of different ideas"? you're talking about the party that reflexively opposed everything Obama did and literally had conferences within a month of his election to this effect and not the one that constantly bends over backwards and has, in recent memory, put shit like the "grand bargain" onto the table?

no, you're not, because you're not here to actually make points, you're here to parrot the party line and then run off to some shithole site when you inevitably fail to thread this needle

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

What the hell dude. The Republicans forced this false either-or choice, which is a profoundly sinister and disturbing thing to do.

The democrats hold all the leverage here. If they cave without getting both CHIP and DACA funded, they are pushover cowards... which is really just par for the course, but we'll see.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
It's a bit more than some services are slowed too. People who currently working for the government in a non emergency capacity are basically laid off for that period. For someone say working for the national parks service and living paycheck to paycheck this is devastating.

My question is, why is it acceptable to pass yet another temporary bill? What is preventing the passage of a legitimate, long-term plan?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So even though the republicans control everything it's still the democrats fault? Your logic makes perfect sense.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shut it down! When it comes down to it it's the GOP's fault and it's only going to make them look worse.

Ludovico

Oct 25, 2017
Every Democrat that votes no (looking at those in the House) voted against 8.9 million kids not having Chip funded for the next 6 years, something the GOP was actually against.

This level of cognitive dissonance....when we spent the summer fighting tooth and nail to protect the ACA....when people in power-chairs were arrested while Senators persisted in an attempt to remove their lifelines.

And now they're using CHIP for leverage to again leave the DREAMERS hanging in the wind, promising to come back to it once our military/wall is funded.

We see you.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
But democracy is all about compromise, compromising on the spending bill, hopefully on DACA, all to reach what's best for the AMERICAN people. It's about NOT thinking in absolutes and being intolerant of different ideas even if you vehemently are against them.
Denies that Dreamers are American.

Calls for people not to be to intolerant and stop thinking in absolutes.

K.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017

Republicans already expired CHIP. There was no negotiation.

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

fuck off with this bipartisian garbage. Why the fuck is it always democrats that have to be the ones that actually govern even when they aren't in fucking power? Why the fuck is it always democrats that have to compromise? Fuck off with that noise.

The founders sure as hell wouldn't know what to do when you have the current lot of piece of shit republican politicians.

Also, REPUBLICANS let CHIP expire in fucking October.

Your points of argument are in bad faith and I think you are simply trolling. You obviously know jack shit about whats going. You seem to only want to blame Dems when they have had nothing to do with fuckery in congress.

Last edited:

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
My question is, why is it acceptable to pass yet another temporary bill? What is preventing the passage of a legitimate, long-term plan?

The short answer is that there's far too much internal division in the Republican Party to craft a budget. Trump is nowhere, his proposals last year were a complete joke, and Ryan is getting torn apart by the right wing of his own conference.

They only barely passed their "tax reform" package, and that was supposed to be the easy part.

Temporary CRs are easy because they don't require anyone to make an actual decision.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, GOP you defunded CHIP. Don't fucking use them against DACA you heartless prick. If you are still a Republican, you need to own up to this bullshit. Your party is broken. No more 'both sides are the same' bullshit.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

? The 60 vote rule to break filibusters is a senate construct and wasn't intended to exist by the founders. Hence why the 60 vote rule was removed for all cabinet and judicial picks...

Also the GOP could've passed a clean CHIP bill for months now and are only sitting on it to use it as a bargaining chip and you're blaming the Dems?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Actually parrotting that trash, fake Republican talking point about "9 million kids!!!".

Where was this concern when the Republicans purposely let CHIP expire in September? Where was it in the months since where they could have brought CHIP on its own to a floor vote any time and renewed it? There is literally no reason it has to be tied to this CR whatsoever. They intentionally let it expire so they could use it to bargain later. The GOP are the ones holding "9 million kids!!!" hostage.

It's entirely manufactured, cynical garbage.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, when you shoot both hostages it'll be the police at fault. You gave them the choice between the white guy and the brown guy, and you totally only wanted to shoot the latter.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans who control the entire gov't managed to pass tax cuts with 50 votes, but can't fund the gov't with the same amount of votes? And it's Democrats' fault they can't do it, even though they literally don't need them to do it?

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I clearly stated in my post that CHIP was a program the GOP did not want. I have repeatedly stated that it's all about compromise. The onus is now on the Dems. The GOP has given them CHIP, now help the GOP pass a CR. DACA has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a spending bill or stop gap measure.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans who control the entire gov't managed to pass tax cuts with 50 votes, but can't fund the gov't with the same amount of votes? And it's Democrats' fault they can't do it, even though they literally don't need them to do it?

When you have a party full of morons what do you expect to happen?

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California

On the one hand, they do need 60 votes so some Democrats need to support it. On the other hand, you are right that they can't even get to 50.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I have repeatedly stated that it's all about compromise

1) Yeah, and guess what? The party that let CHIP expire in September, the party that's letting upwards of 700,000 people stay in an eternal state of flux about whether they'll be allowed to become citizens of their own country, the party that continually ratfucks while people like you keep giving them all the cover in the fucking universe... is the party that's refusing to compromise.

Because God forbid these chucklefucks have to compromise conservatism for a single fucking minute.

2) You also stated in your post that the Founders put the filibuster into place. They didn't. Burr technically allowed for its existence in 1806, and it wasn't even used for another 31 years, by which point all the Founders were dead.

3) You, further, stated that we need to "end chain migration". What are at least one actual economic and at least one national security impetus behind doing this, and why is it apparently only a problem to you when brown people do it?

(I don't mind if you don't answer the second part of that question! But that first part's probably going to be another indicator of bad faith.)

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also the fact that you don't consider dreamers Americas tells me a lot about you and your "concerns".

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
I clearly stated in my post that CHIP was a program the GOP did not want. I have repeatedly stated that it's all about compromise. The onus is now on the Dems. The GOP has given them CHIP, now help the GOP pass a CR. DACA has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a spending bill or stop gap measure.

Disgusting people would negotiate with children's lives, which it seems you support. I think the proper thing to do is too add you to my ignore list. It'll keep my emotions in check and not be exposed to people who gamble with children's lives.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The GOP has "given" a program that republicans have been feigning they care about when they wanted a tax bill?

Fuck outta here. Are you saying that CHIP is a concession for the GOP?

That's fucking gross.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
The Republicans did this to themselves (in the most heinous way imaginable), and that really should be the end of it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Sure thing.

This bill is absolutely terrible.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
DACA and CHIP are both entirely self-inflicted wounds that did not have to happen at all.
In particular, DACA literally could've been averted with:

- DREAM Act passage in 2001
- DREAM Act passage in 2007
- DREAM Act passage in 2010

It could've been ended after less than a year with:
- DREAM Act passage in 2013

The common threads here: the Republican Party's consistent refusal to bring it up for a vote (when they've had control of at least one chamber of Congress, so all but 2010), and the Republican Party's voting in near, if not actual, lockstep when it has come up (2010 and 2013).

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disgusting people would negotiate with children's lives, which it seems you support. I think the proper thing to do is too add you to my ignore list. It'll keep my emotions in check and not be exposed to people who gamble with children's lives.

Many of you are overreacting as many on the left are wont to do. I can unequivocally say, that what the GOP did last year with CHIP was reprehensible. In their zeal to repeal Obamacare (which I hope they do soon enough, or fix rather) they completely let those children down. That's the GOP screw up to own and theirs to own entirely.

I am a Proud Republican, doesn't mean I agree with everything my party does. My point is just pass a spending bill. A clean spending bill. We can fix DACA in due time. Again, democracy is about compromising. You can yell, scream and whine until you get what you want.