• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the prevailing thoughts on why the Democrats are so weak willed to hold Republicans accountable on Congressional subpoenas?

Are the Democrats more concerned about the optics of appearing to care rather than meaningful action? Are they worried about precedents? Are they all just dirty and being careful not to stir the pot too much for fear they'll be caught in it?

A lot of establishment democrats benefited greatly from the way things were, sitting on the fence in the center but talking about trying to move things left. When the right wasn't as insane and actively trying to tear the country apart, they could work together to maintain the status quo and "everyone" was happy. Democrats want to talk big, but a lot of the congressmen and women that have served just want things to go back to the way they were, even though there's zero chance that'll happen. They're being forced to back up their more aggressive talk, but they don't have the will or the desire to go so far, especially when it threatens the only job they've had for years.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
giphy.gif

lol came to post this

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You either fight for the rule of law, or the Republic dies. It's literally that simple.

Again, I mean, that's why America came out for Dems in 2018, to act as a check and put some accountability on this President. Pelosi and co. are too scared to do what they were elected to do, and they'll wonder why voters have no trust in the party.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a serious post?

I'm well aware of our bicameral legislature. The House is sometimes referred to as congress in conversation, probably because we call the members congressmen and congresswomen. Not to mention most americans don't know the proper names. Thanks for the lesson though, maybe you can explain to me what a liberal science degree is. I'm a little fuzzy on the science aspect there.

Ah, that's good that you know. Yeah you're correct that many people refer to Representatives as "Congressman/woman," but one can call a Senator a Congressman/woman and also be correct. But yes, usually when someone uses the term, they're talking about a Representative.

I'm not sure what you mean by the liberal science degree bit, sorry.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I mean, that's why America came out for Dems in 2018, to act as a check and put some accountability on this President. Pelosi and co. are too scared to do what they were elected to do, and they'll wonder why voters have no trust in the party.
You either fight for the rule of law, or the Republic dies. It's literally that simple.
'Democrats castigated for failing to oppose an Authoritarian dictator as Authoritarian Dictator establishes his authoritarian nature by dictating his administration ignore all the efforts being made to oppose him .

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why take the shot now when the President is doing everything he can to hang himself? Everything he blocks is more to add to the pile that will be too big for Rs in 2020 races to ignore.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I don't know what people expect to happen. Impeachment? If so then who convincts, a republican held Senate that has shown they don't care?

Arrest Barr or other administration members? Who will arrest them?

Maybe I'm wrong here but with Dems only holding the house I don't see what they can really do that has any real consequence, or do we just want them to do something for show just so we can be happy something occurred?

Someone please fill me in because I'm very likely missing a realistic solution in here somewhere.

Thanks.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019

It's bizarre to me how someone can claim to believe something as dire as the country being in a constitutional crisis with an Administration that could potentially ignore election results and all rule of law, but also that she needs to deal with it by remaining firmly in the middle and not doing anything too severe. If you genuinely believe this, you start hitting the streets and leading crowds, let alone impeachment proceedings of everyone she possibly could.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
So what are the prevailing thoughts on why the Democrats are so weak willed to hold Republicans accountable on Congressional subpoenas?

Are the Democrats more concerned about the optics of appearing to care rather than meaningful action? Are they worried about precedents? Are they all just dirty and being careful not to stir the pot too much for fear they'll be caught in it?
Democrats have been conditioned by donors to be weak, ineffectual, and conceding to Republicans for years.

Donor class likes weak Dems and strong Republicans.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
When is Mueller supposed to give his statements to Congress? I'm assuming the House is still waiting for that before they decide on impeachment?

They need to be calling Bob up to see if he can swing by sooner...

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what people expect to happen. Impeachment? If so then who convincts, a republican held Senate that has shown they don't care?

Arrest Barr or other administration members? Who will arrest them?

Maybe I'm wrong here but with Dems only holding the house I don't see what they can really do that has any real consequence, or do we just want them to do something for show just so we can be happy something occurred?

Someone please fill me in because I'm very likely missing a realistic solution in here somewhere.

Thanks.
People feel as though the very act of impeachment was created and in a functioning democracy, it would be used here, even if the conviction realistically can't be obtained.

Whether or not this is a politically savvy move is one that can be debated, but most people here don't seem to care one way or the other.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Remember how quick and organized the Democrats were to call out Ilhan Omar even though she didn't say anything wrong? That's the kind of energy I'd like to see from the Democrats on Trump.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
People feel as though the very act of impeachment was created and in a functioning democracy, it would be used here, even if the conviction realistically can't be obtained.

Whether or not this is a politically savvy move is one that can be debated, but most people here don't seem to care one way or the other.

I believe trying to impeach only to fail in the end will be bad in the long run.

It will be used against Democrats come 2020 just like they are currently spinning the narrative that the Mueller report came up empty.

That's what I believe the reality is so long as the branch with some power like the senate is controlled by the Republicans.

I feel like voting in 2020 and making sure other are brought on board (And NOT by being aggressive and talking down to people) is the way to get things done and give the Left the real power needed to fix the damage done.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

NBC News: Pelosi: U.S. in constitutional crisis, several contempt charges being weighed

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Thursday that she agrees with a veteran Democratic lawmaker that the country has now entered a "constitutional crisis" — but said she still wants her party to be "methodical" in their investigations of President Donald Trump, rather than rush to launch the impeachment process.
"Yes, I do agree with Chairman Nadler, because the administration has decided that they are not going to honor their oath of office," Pelosi told reporters at her weekly press conference, referring to Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y.
Asked how such a crisis is not changing her thinking or calculus on impeachment, the House speaker said that Democrats first have to go through the investigative process to uncover facts and the truth.
"This is very methodical. It's very Constitution-based, it's very law-based, it's very factually based," she said. "It's not about pressure — it's about patriotism."
While Democrats are still trying to game out their next steps in the House, they are considering holding a package of contempt votes and sending them to the courts as a single package, according to Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill.
Some Democrats have raised the idea of holding former White House counsel Don McGahn, for example, in contempt, for not complying with a subpoena to provide certain documents related to the Mueller investigation to Congress, and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin for rejecting a formal request from the Ways and Means Committee to provide six years of Trump's tax returns.
Pelosi herself — who declined to say when she will hold a House floor vote to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt of Congress, which the House Judiciary Committee recommended during a vote Wednesday — confirmed she was considering that approach.
"In terms of timing, when we're ready, we'll come to the floor," she said. "There may be some other contempt of Congress issues that we'll want to do at the same time." She added that Nadler wants to do it as soon as possible "and so do we."

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

NBC News: Pelosi: U.S. in constitutional crisis, several contempt charges being weighed

WASHINGTON — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said Thursday that she agrees with a veteran Democratic lawmaker that the country has now entered a "constitutional crisis" — but said she still wants her party to be "methodical" in their investigations of President Donald Trump, rather than rush to launch the impeachment process.
"Yes, I do agree with Chairman Nadler, because the administration has decided that they are not going to honor their oath of office," Pelosi told reporters at her weekly press conference, referring to Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y.
Asked how such a crisis is not changing her thinking or calculus on impeachment, the House speaker said that Democrats first have to go through the investigative process to uncover facts and the truth.
"This is very methodical. It's very Constitution-based, it's very law-based, it's very factually based," she said. "It's not about pressure — it's about patriotism."
While Democrats are still trying to game out their next steps in the House, they are considering holding a package of contempt votes and sending them to the courts as a single package, according to Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill.
Some Democrats have raised the idea of holding former White House counsel Don McGahn, for example, in contempt, for not complying with a subpoena to provide certain documents related to the Mueller investigation to Congress, and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin for rejecting a formal request from the Ways and Means Committee to provide six years of Trump's tax returns.
Pelosi herself — who declined to say when she will hold a House floor vote to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt of Congress, which the House Judiciary Committee recommended during a vote Wednesday — confirmed she was considering that approach.
"In terms of timing, when we're ready, we'll come to the floor," she said. "There may be some other contempt of Congress issues that we'll want to do at the same time." She added that Nadler wants to do it as soon as possible "and so do we."

Talk is cheap and the clock is running. But I'll be ecstatic if I'm proven wrong and this administration is held to account for its crimes.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
A lot of establishment democrats benefited greatly from the way things were, sitting on the fence in the center but talking about trying to move things left. When the right wasn't as insane and actively trying to tear the country apart, they could work together to maintain the status quo and "everyone" was happy. Democrats want to talk big, but a lot of the congressmen and women that have served just want things to go back to the way they were, even though there's zero chance that'll happen. They're being forced to back up their more aggressive talk, but they don't have the will or the desire to go so far, especially when it threatens the only job they've had for years.

Or that's how the system is designed and they need get everything perfect to make it stick.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
"We're in a constitutional crisis!"

"Will you seek impeachment?"

"No, that's silly. That would be bad politics."

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We have been in a constitutional crisis for years. There is an entire political party of bad actors who do everything in their power to corrupt and blockade the government.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
"We're in a constitutional crisis!"

"Will you seek impeachment?"

"No, that's silly. That would be bad politics."

A surface hot take which completely ignores how politics works and forgets that were they truly interested in impeachment they wouldn't be inclined in warning Trump they're setting this up now.

edit: And Trump would still likely get off since the senate is very conservative and run by Mitch McConnell.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
A surface hot take which completely ignores how politics works and forgets that were they truly interested in impeachment they wouldn't be stupid in warning Trump they're setting this up now.

Sounds like every goofy Ilhan Omar post you made for the better part of a month.

Mine was a joke. Your post were embarrassingly serious.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Dems can file contempt charges on every single person in Trump's administration and they're gonna keep wiping their asses with them because everyone knows no one is gonna get put in jail.

So now what?

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
It's really kind of scary to me that the Democrats in the House are basically putting it on the people to check the executive branch.

I mean, sure, maybe they don't have much of a choice? But it's scary.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It's really kind of scary to me that the Democrats in the House are basically putting it on the people to check the executive branch.

I mean, sure, maybe they don't have much of a choice? But it's scary.

They have a choice. They just don't want to make it. They want the voters to fix this.

It's cowardice and dereliction of duty.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
You know jailing Jr for contempt, as he is a private citizen, would be a great move. The rest of the administration will just ignore or fight any charges, they should still charge them though.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I really don't know if they're just trying to milk the news cycle for all it's worth with the Muller report just to do nothing or if they really just want to get all their ducks in a row before starting down the road to impeachment.

Either way they're looking weak.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Do you think the senate lead by Mitch McConnell would punish Trump?

Yes or no.

It doesn't matter what the Senate will or won't do. The president is pissing all over the Constitution and the patchwork of gentleman's agreements and bubble gum that hold our government together. Impeachment was MEANT for shit like this, even if it doesn't directly lead to Trump being kicked out.

It's the fucking right thing to do.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It doesn't matter what the Senate will or won't do. The president is pissing all over the Constitution and the patchwork of gentleman's agreements and bubble gum that hold our government together. Impeachment was MEANT for shit like this, even if it doesn't directly lead to Trump being kicked out.

It's the fucking right thing to do.

Of course it does, but when they fail they'll get blamed for it by the left and their voters could get demoralised further. This is a lot more complicated than you're assuming.

You're right that impeachment was made for those purposes but the Founding Fathers never envisioned congress being compromised so thoroughly that it be completely toothless at dethroning a psychotic president.

The right thing is not necessary the right thing to do due to how politics is, and the stakes involved in acting on that being a disaster because people didn't consider the long term consequences of failure. Good leaders take into account all scenarios and try to pick the best option they have which helps everyone they don't just say fuck it we're doing this because it's the right thing to do.

Another unaccounted factor in this is that were they truly wanting to go about impeaching Trump they won't shout it at everyone before doing anything, they'd wait until they've built a concrete defence to get the best result possible before putting it to a vote. Think of it like a court case, an attorney's going to take sure all their paperwork is in order before going before a judge.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Call me crazy, but IMO, I think that Trump is going to flee from this country just to avoid prosecution if one of these two things happen:

1.) The Democrats retain control of the House, but they also gain the Senate. So even if Trump wins 2020, Democrats can now easily impeach & remove him then, & Trump knows it. That, or

2.) Trump loses the 2020 presidential election itself.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They can't bring themselves to blame the republicans because "boys will be boys" and they're behaving as expected. So now everything has to be the democrat's fault. It's very depressing.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Call me crazy, but IMO, I think that Trump is going to flee from this country just to avoid prosecution if one of these two things happen:

1.) The Democrats retain control of the House, but they also gain the Senate. So even if Trump wins 2020, Democrats can now easily impeach & remove him then, & Trump knows it. That, or

I'd love to see him in cuffs but since that's not likely any time soon I'll take it.

Erpy

May 31, 2018

The odds of Dems getting the senate in 2020 is pretty low. It favors Republicans to begin with and a wave election that would propel Democratic senatorial candidates into a majority would inevitably wash away Trump as well. Even IF Dems had the house and the senate, they still wouldn't be able to remove Trump because removal would require 66 senatorial votes and due to polarisation there's not enough Republican senators willing to cross the aisle on this one, even IF dems had a teensy majority.

I kinda find it hard to believe Trump would flee the country. He's spent 7 decades believing himself to be above the law. Most likely he'll issue a blanket pardon for himself just before leaving office and hopes he'll be lucky enough not to get hit with state charges his attorney's can't get him out of.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
The odds of Dems getting the senate in 2020 is pretty low. It favors Republicans to begin with and a wave election that would propel Democratic senatorial candidates into a majority would inevitably wash away Trump as well. Even IF Dems had the house and the senate, they still wouldn't be able to remove Trump because removal would require 66 senatorial votes and due to polarisation there's not enough Republican senators willing to cross the aisle on this one, even IF dems had a teensy majority.

I kinda find it hard to believe Trump would flee the country. He's spent 7 decades believing himself to be above the law. Most likely he'll issue a blanket pardon for himself just before leaving office and hopes he'll be lucky enough not to get hit with state charges his attorney's can't get him out of.

Except for one thing: No charges have been filed against Trump yet. Reason? To avoid shit like the statute of limitations from expiring or to prevent double jeopardy from happening.

That's why the state of NY is waiting for the day that Trump's out of the White House so that they can pursue both federal & state charges against him, which IMO is a very smart move. You don't want to risk gambling doing so by filling charges against him right now in case he wins 2020, as that'll mean that Trump will most likely get away with everything completely.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Except for one thing: No charges have been filed against Trump yet. Reason? To avoid shit like the statute of limitations from expiring or to prevent double jeopardy from happening.

That's why the state of NY is waiting for the day that Trump's out of the White House so that they can pursue both federal & state charges against him, which IMO is a very smart move. You don't want to risk gambling doing so by filling charges against him right now in case he wins 2020, as that'll mean that Trump will most likely get away with everything completely.
I don't think it works like that. Statute starts counting from the time of the crime, or in the event the crime wasn't discovered until later, I think it's 1 year from the discovery.