• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
http://www.housemarque.com/arcade-is-dead/

Looks like Nex Machina and Matterfall didn't pass the expectations.

However despite critical success and numerous awards, our games just haven't sold in significant numbers. While some of them have reached a massive audience due to free game offerings across various digital sales channels, this unfortunately doesn't help pay for development, which gets costly for high production quality.

But now it's time to move on to new genres. Lackluster sales of Nex Machina have led us to the thinking that it is time to bring our longstanding commitment to the arcade genre to an end. While this genre will always hold a special place in our hearts, the industry is moving more toward multiplayer experiences with strong, robust communities, and it's time for Housemarque to move forward with the industry. Hence Nex Machina and Matterfall will be the last of their kind coming out of our studio. Our purpose as a company remains the same, however – to create enjoyable and memorable gaming experiences for players while simultaneously creating a great workplace that allows people to flourish both professionally and personally.

One of my fav developers this gen so far, I love their work.

Krypton115

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Haven't played Matterfall, but I loved Nex Machina. Housemarque were masters of the genre with hits like Dead Nation, Resogun, Super Stardust, Alienation (although that's were they lost most people).

Excited to see what they're gonna do next, they've got my support.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. There are too few devs making quality arcade shooters these days. For a reason, I guess...

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I was wondering when they were going to quit.

Would really, really like to see a 3rd Person action game from these dudes.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame, Nex Machina is great. I was really hoping these mid-budget revivals of classic game genres would still around, but it seems nothing is safe anymore. That said, Housemarque did allude to this earlier in the year, if these games didn't hit expectations.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised they released 4 games on the ps4 tbh without closing or changing their games. They're a really talented developer and they deserve more success.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
"The industry is moving more toward multiplayer experiences" = "We need games with microtransactions"

I hate how games have slowly transitioned this gen. Will miss my arcade shoot em ups :(

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe because you were exclusive to a platform that games like yours are not as special as they once were when your first game was just a launch title on said platform.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Whatever they end up doing, I hope they stick with their style. Would love a co-op joystick shooter with in that style.

KsG

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Bummer. I really like their games. I always find myself going back to their stuff. It's a good time killer for me

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder what they will end up doing, can imagine it being a genre of the moment sort of game (Battle Royal maybe).

RandomTiger

Oct 26, 2017
Such a shame, I do wonder if they had kept the gameplay but gone with less ambitious graphics they could have reconciled the dev cost with the smaller audience. Ruling out Nex Machina on the Switch may have been a mistake. I did my part, bought most of their games full price.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because you were exclusive to a platform that games like yours are not as special as they once were when your first game was just a launch title on said platform.
Without Sony they'd be closed or changed their course long ago. Nex Machina was released on PC and still sold poorly. This had nothing to do with being exclusive.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Resogun really benefitted from the PS4 launch drought but now that there's bazillions of games to choose from it's not surprising that their other games haven't done so well. I welcome new things from them, they're a talented bunch.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I think they're right. While their games are great for what they are, their output was getting really samey after Resogun, imo. If they are targeting systems that are largely 'sit-down-and-play', their games need to offer a little more than just an arcadey set up. People need to return more often than the one night you're hung over and could use an glowing arcade shooter.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Very very sad to read. Absolutely love Super Stardust, Resogun, and Nex Machina. Didn't hear about Matterfall till now which suggest to me poor marketing since I am an avid gamer who tends to keep up with news. I mean none of the gaming review sites I follow mentioned it on their YouTube channels:

If Housemarque wanted my advice for future games it would frankly be to move away from the Cyberpunkish/Tronlike visuals they use for their games. I personally really like the way their games look but I think a lot of players would feel it looks somewhat soulless.

Gamers don't necessarily need big stories today but charming colorful characters with big personalities help. It's a Roguelike of course but Binding of Isaac retains a lot of Arcadey qualities and a big reason for its success is Isaac's tortured adorable face and the ugly monsters.

Housemarque games are so well designed but it's faceless games make it ultra-retro like it belongs with Defender and Yar's Revenge.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I bought Nex Machina and enjoyed it quite a bit. Not surprised the sales were low, there was no hype and I saw no marketing. It's a niche market. Sad to hear that they are done with this kind of game, wish them a lot of success with their new direction!

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm I hope they don't primarily target multiplayer. I mean just because that is what a lot of the market aims for, doesn't mean that many fail to make a buck on multiplayer. There is still great scope for good SP focused games to succeed.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead will soon pass a million on Steam + who knows how many on Xbox. Arcade gaming isn't completely dead, though that had a giant publisher behind it.

Last edited:

Nintendojitsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Without Sony they'd be closed or changed their course long ago. Nex Machina was released on PC and still sold poorly. This had nothing to do with being exclusive.
Bringing PC into the conversation changes nothing. If they couldn't manage to find an audience on the PS4's crowded marketplace, what makes you think they would find success on the PC?

And as for the Sony involvement, the less said about their commitment and continued meddling in the indie game community the better.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What a bummer thread to wake up to. I always appreciated housemarque games because they were Arcade games and seemingly the best ones out there.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Bringing PC into the conversation changes nothing. If they couldn't manage to find an audience on the PS4's crowded marketplace, what makes you think they would find success on the PC?

And as for the Sony involvement, the less said about their commitment and continued meddling in the indie game community the better.
So you're with them changing their direction? and what's with the last line? Sony pushed and helped indie heavily at the beginning of the gen.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Your studio having one less than stellar game release does not mean an entire genre is dead.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play Matterfall, but the reviews were a bit lackluster for what I read. Nex Machina, on the other hand, is really good.

And although it's sad that Housemarque is not making any more arcade games at the same time it's exciting because this is a super talented studio that could bring a lot to other genres.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Resogun and Nex Machina were cool.

They're clearly a talented bunch so i'm sure wherever they decide to go next will be worth checking out.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I supported Nex Machina off the strength of Resogun, though I haven't played it yet. Sad to see :(

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Love their work so much. They are the studio that is resoinsible for my wife and I having so much fun on the couch. Dead nation to nex machina. It's a damn shame they didn't find commercial success. As long as their next game has couch co-op we will be there!!!

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think arcade is dead but Housemarques take on arcade certainly has run its course for me...

Super Stardust, Resogun, Dead Nation and Outland were all interesting but as they kept iterating on the formula with stuff like Alienation, Nex Machina and Matterfall I lost interest. So glad to hear that they are planning on trying something different.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
This sucks. I'm not interested in the multiplayer stuff they're talking about, so best of luck to them, but I doubt I'll be interested in whatever they're working on next.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
the industry is moving more toward multiplayer experiences with strong, robust communities, and it's time for Housemarque to move forward with the industry

I'm reading this as "we want our Rocket League". I wish them the best but for ever Rocket League, there are dozens of dead MP only experiences littered across Steam

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not happy about this at all considering the implication that they're moving towards competitive MP affairs.

Would be happy if they were moving towards SP experiences, though. Resogun and Nex are great little titles but I've been wanting something different from them ever since Super Stardust hit the scene.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nex Machina was the best twin stick shooter ever made. So of course nobody bought it, and now they're gonna do some big online multiplayer thing nobody will buy, and a great company that brought us Resogun, Nex Machina, and Outland will go out of business.

Thank you, 2017 video game industry

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. Nex Machina is probably their best game.

But this also speaks to the bigger picture of what people want out of games these days...and I was gonna rail against the trends of the day, but don't feel like getting into extended discussion while on mobile.

Thanks for the great games and I wish you luck.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah that really sucks. They should do a followup to Dead Nation and get some zombie bucks. Personally would love to see them do a followup Metroidvania style game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Resogun and Nex Machina are both amazing games that I've sunk tons of time into, so this is disappointing to hear :( Matterfall was slightly less great than I'd hoped, the highest difficulty mode was more frustrating than fun, especially when you factor in the really long load times upon death. Plus the amount of content and replayability as a whole was rather lean, though I still enjoyed it quite a bit.