• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Could they be working on a PS5 launch title like Resogun for the PS4?

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC they said they are getting away from arcade games. That last game they announced was Stormdivers which was some battle royale shit and if this next one is anything like that then it won't be anything to look forward to for me lol.

Mazinger

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
"Arcades are dead, despite the amount of love we put in our arcade-styled games they just can't recoup the development costs for us anymore."
That's understandable, arcade-styled games may be too niche of a market for a growing developer like Housemarque, so I wish you the best of luck even though these games are what made you so special compared to others on the market.
"so we're making a militaristic gritty battle royale game"
nnononono wait that's not what I mea-

Whatever they're planning, I hope it's a bit more subtle in signposting the fact that they're in dire need of cash.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed Dead Nation / Super Stardust / Resogun all did relatively well, but I totally forgot about Matterfall and Nex Machina.

Seems a shame there isn't a position for them in the market for these high budget arcade titles that they do so well.

Hopefully their next projects do well for them.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
So, weren't these guys open about the fact that they don't really have the funds for a AAA game?

So, it seems someone stepped in. Perhaps Sony exclusive?

Mazinger

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
They wouldn't be in dire need of cash if more people bought their amazing arcade games :(
Nex Machina was a genuine 10/10, even had the original Robotron designer working on it, but Housemarque's particle fetish may have turned off a lot of people who found the game to look too cluttered and people with lower-end PCs who couldn't run this game properly (I have to play it on Low if I want a stable framerate).
Didn't help that most of their games aside from Nex Machina and Outland were console exclusive while having barely any presence on the PC market. They released another game on the PS4 around the same time as Nex Machina, called Matterfall, which received next to no marketing at all and was quite frankly just "ok", but didn't sell nowhere as good. The development costs of releasing two ultra-niche games with way more production value than most modern games of this type have around the same time must've been murder when it predictably turned out they weren't multi-million hits.

It's unfortunate, but Housemarque feels like it's getting a bit too big in size and average production value to be making XBLA-styled titles.