• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Seth is my favorite of all of them.

I try to never miss his Closer Looks and a lot of his other bits.

Amber Ruffin is a national treasure.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
As an European I've been noticing that US Late Night talk shows are not as funny as they used to be, and that the dip in quality started before the rise of Trumpism. My totally ignorant guess is that the writers are not as good as they used to be. Maybe good comedy writers are moving to different forms of media?

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I dunno about that. Sam Bee is far from toothless, she goes all in (even got shit for calling Ivanka the c-word, which was stupid and ridiculous). The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight are still good too.

Can't really comment on other shows though, I don't watch those.

Of all the hosts she definitely is the one who holds back the least. It's why I like her.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad to see this article. I think we've all known something's gotten powerfully dull about liberal comedy talk shows in the last couple years. It's been hard to articulate without sounding like you've gone conservative, but I think many of us feel it, including those on the left.

I was an avid watcher of Jon Stewart and the Colbert Report in those Bush years and that show mattered back then. It was almost counter culture and spoke wicked truth to power. But now they all seem incredibly hack. Unfunny, milquetoast jokes against the same targets in a way that makes them look lame and irrelevant. You'd think the age of Trump would make them shine... but I think they've become another victim of Trump.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with these sorts of things since Stewart retired and Colbert switched professions, but I've been seeing a Sam Bee promo lampooning the fast food white house dinner thing during the NBA playoffs a lot and holy shit I had no idea it was that bad.

It came off like it was written by any random #resist Twitter account. The fruit was hanging so low, they may as well have dug it out of the ground. It was amazing that anybody who gets paid for anything saw that promo and thought "yeah, that'll work."

Also, that shit at the end of the article about the employed writers making fun of those looking for work is infuriating. These idiots are responding to this political moment by repurposing wine mom tweets as "jokes" and they've got the nerve to have a sense of superiority about it?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Here's a take. Could this be the reason why SNL's ratings have been declining as of late? That people are getting fatigued of the disaster of a Trump administration?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stewart really educated his viewers. I remember being more informed than my peers and teachers in high schools by watching the Daily Show. It wasn't just slam dunk comedy for the sake of it. He actually taught about concepts through articulate analogies. It was really something special.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Damn, I didn't need another reminder of how much I missed Craig Ferguson, but there it is... Time to rewatch every clip I can find all night on youtube now.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I like the characterisation of people who find this shit painfully unfunny as Trump supporters and secret conservatives/"""centrists/moderates""" who wish to skew the conversation in Trump's favour.
Like no, these shows are insufferable.
Here's a take. Could this be the reason why SNL's ratings have been declining as of late? That people are getting fatigued of the disaster of a Trump administration?

rh64eoi095o21.jpg