• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Maher's show is weekly and explicitly political. It obvs has a lot of the issues discussed in the article but it's not quite the same category

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seth isn't actually funny while Maher is hit or miss. At least he can make me laugh with some of his jokes. His specials are mediocre but somehow his jokes on the show land pretty well at times. Seth is like an MCU movie, he's fine.
you laugh at Bill Maher jokes...

do you laugh at the ones where he says Donald Trump makes him feel like he missed his morning coffee (and had orange juice! instead) or the ones where he says all Muslims are violent

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
I used to watch Craig Ferguson every night, nothing today even comes close. Seriously, check out his interview with Robin Williams. Today's late night is hot stanky garbage.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Maybe the author forgets how desperately, painfully unfunny Leno was, or that Letterman fell off his game years before he actually retired. Colbert and Kimmel and Meyers are an improvement in some ways and in others they're at least not any worse.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Chapo sucks tho

Including Samantha Bee as the thumbnail despite the fact that she makes good videos on subjects that aren't low-hanging fruit (like her catholic hospitals piece) is... to be expected from Chapo let's say.
It's not an official upload, so holding them accountable for what the uploader chose as the thumbnail is pretty dumb.

They also said her show and other late night shows were unfunny. Was her piece on catholic hospitals funny?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The shows are just so outrageously repetitive. Whether show to show or episode to episodes it's the same jokes over and over.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm gonna say was late night talk shows were waaaaaaaay worse than what's happening now with the exception of Conan O'Brien.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It was as funny as John Stewart's best stuff was
Maybe I just need to watch it, but the whole critique is that these shows are just repeating the same Daily Show style jokes from a decade ago in between just reading the news. It's repetitive, easy, and played out. There's very little craft, and these shows feel cookie cutter because there are a lot of them with the same schtick rather than just two with Stewart and Colbert back in the day.

At least people are getting the news through them, but I don't find them funny.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I just need to watch it, but the whole critique is that these shows are just repeating the same Daily Show style jokes from a decade ago in between just reading the news. It's repetitive, easy, and played out. There's very little craft, and these shows feel cookie cutter because there are a lot of them with the same schtick rather than just two with Stewart and Colbert back in the day.

Again, that doesn't apply to Samantha Bee for the most part.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California

It's not comparable because the news cycles of the pre-Trump era (especially political news cycles) are completely different than the Trump-dominated news we see today, and it's specifically the fact that no one has figured out (or cares to try) adapting topical comedy to the Trump era that makes all these shows horrendous.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the truth is, they were never funny. They are designed to cater to very average middle america. Always have been.

Colbert Report however, was fantastic, and I wish he would have stuck with that. Even his material got soft now that he's on Late Night...

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Chapo sucks tho

Including Samantha Bee as the thumbnail despite the fact that she makes good videos on subjects that aren't low-hanging fruit (like her catholic hospitals piece) is... to be expected from Chapo let's say.

She's fucking awful. Remember her Glenn Beck coming together shit? Chapo is correct on this and actually one of the few funny political podcasts/shows around.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
There's a lot of this I disagree with and it feels a bit full of itself. It's an article about how the author doesn't like late night talk shows hidden behind the guise of trying to find a bunch of excuses to call them problematic (although the 'boys club' criticisms of white male writers' rooms is valid, but even then, Meyers' show has entire segments dedicated to putting eyes on their female, lgbt and POC writers). I also disagree with the sentiment that these shows make soft criticisms of Trump; unless you think referring to him literally with the phrase "White supremacist" is a soft criticism.

It (and many responses in this thread) feels a lot like people who mockingly say "orange man bad". Like it's somehow ridiculous to talk about Trump on a show that makes jokes about current events. The guy does something horrible or stupid every day. Of course they didn't go as hard on Bush, for instance. He did a lot of dumb or evil shit, and they were right there to dunk on him -- but he had a lot more reserved lay low time between his idiocy than Trump does.

"We get it, they hate Trump." Yes, of course they do. He's shit. But all of these shows have other segments and other jokes. They extend past the opening monologue and YouTube clips. Not every joke lands, and there is a degree of repetitiveness when satirizing the same subjects, but that's how late night always is and has been.

I agree with you. Both the writer of the article and a lot of people in this thread probably don't even see much late night talk shows themselves or only some viral Trump stuff.

Yeah, a lot of the comedy is shit, and I don't see them every day, because there are so many and I get tired of Trump or politics, but it's also true that it's hard to fill an hour of biting political commentary. And Colbert has actually talked more about other stuff recently, and has definetly called out Trump's white supremacy and horrible politics. It's been years since his jokes were only "Cheeto in chief" type jokes.

It's not for nothing that his monologue constantly gets more than a millions views each night on YouTube.

It's a weird article, to say the least.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
It's been years since his jokes were only "Cheeto in chief" type jokes.

9gzfwgh.jpg

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Same issue I have with snl, when they go on some insanely long opening sketch about trump being dumb but than they cut out original sketches.

I don't like trump either but 90% of trump content isn't clever it's just tired.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to watch way more, now I barely do.

Some thoughts:
- Samantha Bee is very preachy, but atleast she goes hard
- Trevor Noah has the best correspondents and a lot of guests you don't see anywhere else
- Seth Meyers has "A Closer Look", it's good because it's condensed, rest mostly meh
- John Oliver needs better joke writers, could be so much better
- Conan got bad advice with his new studio, but the stuff he's doing more now is what he's best at
- Colbert is just awful. I think I can read the title of the video and know half of the jokes he's about to make. Weirdest thing is how much he sucks at interviewing people. He was good at that at some point.

Last edited:

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This all goes back to the root of problem: Turning politics into entertainment. There used to be a real separation between the two that made sense considering how making jokes about political issues undermines the seriousness of the situation.

Conflating politics and entertainment is a big reason why the country is suck a mess. Just like diehard fans of Star Wars or Harry Potter, people become fans of a political story and not only define themselves by their fandom but spew vitriol at those who disagree.

So, Late Shows aren't funny but they shouldn't be talking about politics anyway.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This all goes back to the root of problem: Turning politics into entertainment. There used to be a real separation between the two that made sense considering how making jokes about political issues undermines the seriousness of the situation.

Conflating politics and entertainment is a big reason why the country is suck a mess. Just like diehard fans of Star Wars or Harry Potter, people become fans of a political story and not only define themselves by their fandom but spew vitriol at those who disagree.

So, Late Shows aren't funny but they shouldn't be talking about politics anyway.
Everybody should watch Hypernormalisation.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Comedy is pretty much dead at this point. Everyone has already seen the jokes on Facebook or Twitter. I'm not sure how the genre as a whole adapts.

Sitcoms and comedy films are pretty much dead in the water too. It sucks, but that's the reality now.

Oct 25, 2017
Deep dive segments are the only late night content I can stomach anymore, so I really only pay attention to John Oliver and Hasan Minhaj.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
This article/thread has been depressing but it's good to hear Hasan Minhaj landed on his feet at least, especially after Jordan Klepper, another pretty good modern correspondent, flamed out big time with his own show

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of this I disagree with and it feels a bit full of itself. It's an article about how the author doesn't like late night talk shows hidden behind the guise of trying to find a bunch of excuses to call them problematic (although the 'boys club' criticisms of white male writers' rooms is valid, but even then, Meyers' show has entire segments dedicated to putting eyes on their female, lgbt and POC writers). I also disagree with the sentiment that these shows make soft criticisms of Trump; unless you think referring to him literally with the phrase "White supremacist" is a soft criticism.
Agree with all of this. Also Sam Bee is amazing as well. I usually make an effort to watch Seth and Samantha, but Colbert and Oliver only when I can.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only Maher and Oliver have been able to get a laugh out of me in recent years when I see their clips.

And both are pretty hit and miss (Maher can be wildly out of touch and Oliver can be so weird/esoteric I glaze over). The network nightime hosts dont really do much for me, not sure I can pinpoint why. Maybe I just like slightly more over the top personalities.

I haven't checked back with Conan in a while. Wonder if he's still funny.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't cared for any of the current crop of late night hosts since long before 2016.

Watched Conan religiously for many years but his best days are mostly behind him except for when he does remotes.