• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you doing better or worse than other millennials your age? (see chart below)

• Better

Votes: 528 68.2%
  • Worse

Votes: 246 31.8%

• Total voters

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018

The above article is dated Nov 2018, so it's fairly recent.
You can read about how the author arrives at the estimates.

Your NET WORTH is all your assets minus your liabilities.

Below is the pertinent chart that relates to the thread's poll. This is a USA-focused chart.

Ignore the "Class of" part. That's relative to the date of the article, and age does not directly tie to class year anyways. Some graduate earlier, some later. Just focus on age.

VFIe5Zj.png

EDIT:

As a side note, I really love Mint.com for keeping track of my net worth. I recommend it to others who want to be financially on top of things. There are other similar tracking services as well.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont have debt yet but im still broke.
i got a grant for school so im good for now there.
my insurance runs out in a year tho so im gonna have to try to not die to avoid building medical debt now. kill me

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Better than that but I got fucking lucky and don't deserve it. The age/class math is two years off though and is going to confuse everyone

I won't be in this position once I start working on my master's at the end of the year though, I'll go very negative very quickly once I start paying for that

Last edited:

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
Class of 2002 and 35. Class of 2003 is not 36. They would be 34.

I'm about 10X the average mercifully.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how that year listing works. Neither of my graduating classes correspond with my age

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
The article says I'm a millennial (born in 1981) but the chart does not (class of 99). Guess I'll live on the moon.

*edit*

I'm dumb. I'm "class of 2003" collegiate. The original article being THREE years old threw me off.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Pretty good. I paid off my student loans last year. I'm low on savings right now because I just signed a new apartment lease but I should be at around $10k in savings by November if not before.

Having at tech job saved my finances to be honest.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I re-read that and I think it goes by college graduation date? I kept thinking high school (which would've made more sense since not everyone starts/finishes college on a set year...)
Still doesn't work for me 😕

I graduated high school in 2010 and I'm 26 now, turning 27 later this year. There's no way I could possibly have graduated in 2012 or 2013.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never went to college so I am actually surprised I am doing better than my age group. Still feels right on the edge though. Though I also didn't up my cost of living after making more. Hurts less when you fall.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I'm better AND worse at the same time. I don't have all kinds of payments forcing me to work tons of hours like my sister and many others my age. But I have $30,000 in medical bills from a car accident hanging over my head. And student loans of course.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
way better than that chart. But I fucked up this past year trading stock. Down ~6k currently. Nothing big but painful still

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how to calculate my net worth. Is it just what's in my back account, or does it factor in my possessions, stocks, retirement accounts, etc.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My net worth: 0. So better de facto :'v

Also, I graduated from high school when I was 15 so that "class of" would be mistaken either way... Just go by age.

However, aren't 18-21 year olds Gen-Z or something?

I have no idea how to calculate my net worth. Is it just what's in my back account, or does it factor in my possessions, stocks, retirement accounts, etc.
I used this calc to be sure; I ended up putting a bunch of zeroes :v

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
can't make heads or tails of that chart but approx. 30k in debt including my car note and credit cards. I don't have student loans and my living expenses(minus the car loan) are relatively low. Still am able to put some away in savings and retirement but it's not a ton, could definitely be more. All in all I'm doing okay, not great but also not terrible.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Doing better now, but I still have a negative net worth thanks to student and other debt. Woo!
Edit: forgot about my retirement account, so I at least am in the positive, but still have debt I need to pay off to put myself in to a better standing financially. Also, I'm scrambling to find a new job in the case my contract isn't renewed in a few months.

Jan 29, 2018
My net worth: 0. So better de facto :'v

Also, I graduated from high school when I was 15 so that "class of" would be mistaken either way... Just go by age.

However, aren't 18-21 year olds Gen-Z or something?

I used this calc to be sure; I ended up putting a bunch of zeroes :v

Using this we're doing quite a bit better than the chart. Value of the house helps quite a bit. Wife's student loans are still a pain.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Worse than a chart if we go by debt.

Era is an enthusiast forum of mostly tech literate people with the means and free time to devote to an expensive hobby. Era won't be the "average".

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have like 100k in student loans but if you ignore those I'm doing pretty well.

Also I know it said to ignore the Class of part but I was Class of 2011 and I'm only 26.... so....

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely better. Went to community college for two years, then in-state uni for another two, so my debt is really low (well, it's definitely not $28k).

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
31 and above the high achiever entry for 36 year olds, although probably 3/4ths of that is in my 401k.

Then again that's all probably a 3:1 split pre/post-tax

Thankful to have graduated with no debt thanks to my grandparents and scholarships, and landed a software engineering job right out of college, which I've been working at ever since 2010.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far better due to this strange melange of luck, skill, hard work, and calculated risk.

Definitely better. Went to community college for two years, then in-state uni for another two, so my debt is really low.

Likewise. I transferred into in-state uni with my Associate degree and finished out the Bachelor's degree. Went back and got my Masters degree on my employer's dime.

OP
OP

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Era is an enthusiast forum of mostly tech literate people with the means and free time to devote to an expensive hobby. Era won't be the "average".

Yes, I agree about the tech literate part.

I am expecting the final results of the poll to beat the average.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If you put all the positive people together, they could pay my student loans I think.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Got a job above median income, just bought a house, albeit with two roommates. Still a good chunk of change in savings, though it won't go as far because having a house is more expensive.

All of this was only possible because my parents covered my college, which they had set out to do from the day I was born and won't let me feel guilty about or pay them back. A little less good luck in that area and I'd be in a pretty tough spot.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Doing great.

Was really terrible from 2007-2011 (Was a no lifer, playing MMOs and stuck on several gaming, anime, MMO forums)

Got better in 2011-2015 but still rough around the edges

I'm at my peak right now with my own house, car, college degree, job in my career field and being married (which all of happened between 2016 to current

Barely in my 30s too

There's so much room for improvement and I plan to expand my education (and once my wife passes her RN exam) - I'll be better financially (not that I'm bad at financial wise right now).

I have debt via School loans and home mortgage but its still sustainable with my current income, will be far easier when my wife starts working - then I can focus on expanding my education and looking for bigger opportunities.