• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The PS4 has been around for more than four years now - I imagine a lot of people on here have had their systems for just about as long. How is yours holding up? I feel like mine is starting to slow down a bit. The OS randomly freezes at times, and I have been having a problem where I go to wake up the console and it looks like its going fine (console light strip is blue) but then my DS4 just lights up white and there is no output to the TV. At times my console gets really loud too, but I think that may because it needs to have the dust cleaned out of it.

I had an issue too about six months ago where I put a shitty knock-off blu-ray copy of Project Runway in the system, and the disk's label melted and came off, rendering my disk drive useless. I got it fixed for like 80 rmb, so I'm not sure how thorough the repair was lol.

All in all I think its in pretty good shape. How about yours?

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
My housemate's seems to still run games fine but it sure does sound like it's about to take off into hyperdrive when playing graphically intensive games like BF1.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Got mine in summer 2015 and haven't noticed any wear or tear. It's sailing along as it always has. The OS sucks, but it's always sucked, so that's not any different. Occasionally sounds like a jet engine when I play FFXIV, but I think that's a feature.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Stopped reading discs, or at least it needed many tries while it was making unpleasant noises. Maybe because I smoked in the house. Got a pro now and it's great (quiet too, apparently that's due to luck)

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
My Launch Edition has given me no problems besides the Boeing 747 engine that seems to awaken from inside on occasion

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My launch Blu-ray drive died, which was fine because 99% of my 400+ games are digital, but an update last year bricked it because it was updating the firmware for the player. Due to that, the system is dead because OS errors out with a dead drive now.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sold my launch PS4 for my launch PS4 Pro. It's stupidly fucking noisy, but apart from that perfectly reliable and doesn't miss a beat.

I have it on a desk. Otherwise screws.

But seriously it is working fine - bought PS4 for Destiny beta and the final game which I sold off shortly afterwards.
I don't have it any louder I guess? And since I am digital I have only two physical games - TLoU RE and H:ZD

ed: Yes, PeeTee is still on it too lmao

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded to the Pro when it launched, but it's been fine since then. It's not nearly as loud as people on here say theirs are.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Randomly vomits out discs without prompting sometimes. Apart from that, fine.

The OS is an absolute dumpster fire mind, just so so bad for such a major system.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had my PS4 + 1 controller since early 2015 (right before Bloodborne came out) and another controller since about a year before that.

The console itself is fine. No OS problems, the download or loading speeds and everything don't appear to have changed. I like the design of the DualShock 4 a lot, but the sticks on both are wearing and the touch pad on one of them has all but stopped working. I'm annoyed by how poor the quality is, even if the design is leagues better than the DualShock 3.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
my launch ps4 was fine until i tried to play uncharted 4 and holy shit the sounds from the fans. i gave it a good clean which helped slightly but i decided to upgrade to a pro that day.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
My PS4 very often beeps while trying to eject whatever disc is in. Fuck that.
That's probably a thing with the rubber underneath the PS4 itself, mine did that too last year, i just basically rubbed my finger back and forth across the rubber and it stopped doing that.

SaberX85 : also potentially caused by the rubber underneath the console.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
my launch is ticking over just as it did when i bought it. and my pro is doing fine too. this gen is a far cry from the troubles of last gen with the RROD and to a lesser extent the YLOD, that's for sure.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Gave my launch unit to my brother when I bought an pro but it still works without issues for him. Though he only games sporadically.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
something was wrong with the HDMI port, signal kept going out. did standard trouble shooting, different cables trying to see if it was the tv, definitely was the ps4

found it peculiar because i never had quality issues with any console ever, even my brick 360. but i said whatever, bought a Pro and sold the vanilla at a steep discount with huge disclaimer

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Had mine since launch night and no issues here, it's even been through some power surges

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Console is fine, but 2 controllers already kicked the bucket and don't work at all anymore. Which is especially weird, since Playstation controllers usually lasted for an eternity. I'm still have 2 old Launch-PS1 controllers that work just fine, but the Dual Shock 4s are kinda shite.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Had a ps4 from a few months after launch, sold it and bought a pro a few months after that was out. Both systems would/do get loud as hell sometimes...mainly in the menu or map screens (Rocket League, Horizon, some others). Trying to remember if both systems would randomly need to rebuild the database on startup, it's happened plenty of times and I don't know why. I'm very good to my consoles.

Other than that, fine.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
No problems with my Pro despite a couple of scary power surges/outages that prompted the system to go in shit-might-be-fucked-let-you-know-in-a minute-mode. It can get loud, though. Probably dust build up.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Generally speaking it works fine, though I'm noticing it crash more now than it used to.
Yup. I have time to reply to your message now because 20 seconds ago I was torn out of a play session in The Last Guardian by a crash... feels bad man. And I was just playing AC Origins for a couple weeks, the game crashed like once per hour. But that might not be my PS4s fault, lol.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
JP launch PS4, still working fine, mostly.
It does have that weird issue with the eject button sometimes beeping incessantly and occasionally spitting out discs though.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My launch unit is doing great, i can certainly hear it sometimes but thats never a bother as when i'm playing a game its not noticeable (and i owned a dreamcast).

Oct 29, 2017
Launch machine is fine, I did have to strip it last year and put some fresh thermal paste on it and now it is mute again :)

Pro is fine.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My white PS4 (October 2014) is still in pretty good shape.
In the first months I had more problems with it as nowadays tbh...it got pretty noisy while playing certain games.

Either game development for PS4 got a lot better or it somehow magically stopped.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I have a model I bought on launch day that still works fine. A bit loud, and sometimes it doesnt go to sleep mode properly but fine for the most part. I don't use it very much since I got a PC in March of 2016 though, so I imagine it has quite a bit more life in it.

maloney

Oct 28, 2017
My Launch Edition has given me no problems besides the Boeing 747 engine that seems to awaken from inside on occasion

Same for mine, I took it to pieces and there wasn't a lot of dust inside so I renewed the thermal compound.

It did the trick and was quiet again for about 6 months, but it is back to jet engine levels now.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
OG PS4

Remember when the PS4 launched and people were setting them up on uneven surfaces which would occasionally trigger the disc eject button because of its odd placement?
That happens occasionally now for me, on a perfectly flat surface, maybe 15 to 30 minutes after I stop playing on it and 'power off'.
I don't know if it is something warping as it cools down or something, but it is really annoying to stop playing, start doing something else or maybe go to bed, and then have the PS4 start beeping that disc eject noise, eject the disc in it, and turn the TV on because of the HDMI connection. Really annoying.

Also, the OG Dualshock4 remains as having the worst build quality of any first-party controller I've ever used, but the classic-grey DS4 I got as a replacement has held up so far.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
My OG eventually had to be replaced (couldn't handle big blu rays) so I have a Slim now. Sounds like an aeroplane but apart from that all good.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
My launch PS4 would randomly decide not to wake up from rest mode and I'd have to unplug it for a few minutes. It also had the worst controller ever built and the material on the sticks was falling off.

My launch PS4 Pro fan is constantly on, making an varying pitch fan noise. It's done it since day one and I should've returned it, but didn't. I'll probably trade it in for another Pro soon.

Oct 27, 2017
My launch PS4 after 3 years would repeatedly spit disks, turn itself on and the launch DS4 had an irritating tendency for the grips to wear fast, especially when you play FIFA with friends a lot. Ended up getting a Pro when it launched to replace it and its holding up mostly but have a weird problem where I have to set up my Wi-FI again everytime I boot it up.

OP
OP
Datajoy

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OG PS4

Remember when the PS4 launched and people were setting them up on uneven surfaces which would occasionally trigger the disc eject button because of its odd placement?
That happens occasionally now for me, on a perfectly flat surface, maybe 15 to 30 minutes after I stop playing on it and 'power off'.
I don't know if it is something warping as it cools down or something, but it is really annoying to stop playing, start doing something else or maybe go to bed, and then have the PS4 start beeping that disc eject noise, eject the disc in it, and turn the TV on because of the HDMI connection. Really annoying.
Damn that sounds awful. I wasnt aware that was an issue until just now I was randomly googling PS4 issues and saw that random ejection thing mentioned as one.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I have a type c PS4 so the first revision that greatly reduced noise. I sold my OG because it was way too loud. It's still working okay, noise is decent for the most part although the odd game (monster hunter) will trigger the jet. Controller is good and system menu is still snappy.

The only problem is the disc drive, it sounds like a lawnmower and I don't know why or how to fix it. Considering how little it gets used it's very disappointing. Thankfully it still reads discs okay but I'm worried it will crap out.