• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerfed Llamas

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I have a launch PS4 and it still runs games/apps well. I have to remember to clean the dust out from the sides and back frequently, is it seemingly accumulates dust faster than any other gaming system I've ever owned. My biggest gripe is that when the cooling system kicks on it is so freaking loud that I have to turn the TV up to continue enjoying the game I am playing. In comparison, both my Switch and Xbox One S run rather quietly.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a launch day regular console, and the fan certainly goes buck wild at times. The most annoying thing though is at certain times, when trying to wake the console up through remote play, it goes on an endless loop of waking up, then immediately going to sleep. If I cancel the remote play connection it eventually stops, or it will stop if I manually wake it up or put it to sleep. Also my Second Screen companion app rarely is able to connect as well. I feel in general the wifi might be going out, as my remote play used to be the bees knees, and now it's more like the bees butts.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My launch PS4 had an issue with the Ethernet port pretty much from the get go (random "lan cable not connected"). It got progressively worse so I sent it in for repairs through the extended warranty after about 2 1/2 years. Was sent a replacement that I never had an issue with (I think it was the same iteration), but I just recently traded it in for a Pro. No issues so far.

My initial launch model also occasionally had the eject problem, but it was never so bad that messing with manual eject screw couldn't fix it for a few weeks.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
My near launch console (about 6 months into the gen) is perfect so far. I was blessed with a quiet PS4, so that's a huge bonus.

Controllers a piece of crap though. Both sticks peeling, L1 is half busted, and R2 makes a creaking noise.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
My pro is rock solid and dead silent. Original ps4 bought on launch date is still rocking and my limited edition mgs one has not shown any signs of breaking.

PS.
My Vita is the best gaming hardware ever bought. This thing is unbreakable.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Until I changed it for a PS4Pro was ok, I gifted it to my father and he doesn't use it a lot, but it works (i hadit from near day one...)

Oct 31, 2017
My launch model is still working great! I've replaced the sticks on both controllers though, but that was easy enough to do and they weren't expensive.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
outside of an occasion crappy bluetooth connection and sounding popping in and out through the headset and/or ear buds with the controller, I've had zero issues thus far.

*knocks on wooden desk

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
Got mine in October 2015. No problems so far, except for the one time a disc automatically ejected. Thankfully, I wasn't playing that game! But it's only happened once, and I haven't had to do anything about it so lucky me?

Wrynn

Jan 10, 2018
The console itself is performing the same as when I bought it.

What pisses me off since the beginning is the controller. The battery they put in it is an absolute joke and it's getting worse, I think I'll just have to buy new controllers.

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
Bought mine soon after launch. The only issue I've had with it is the disc ejecting issue. Tried getting rid of the rubber but it didn't work, so had to open it up and stop the eject-button from working altogether. Solved the issue for me, but I can now only eject discs from the main menu. A minor annoyance, but not nearly as annoying as losing progress due to random disc ejections.

Ryukori

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Got mine at launch and it still feels like new. The OS has become a bit slow over the years, but that's just due to software updates. In terms of hardware, everything is still perfect.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, I've been through three of them one launch, one destiny TTK edition (was the revision with physical buttons) because my launch would never stop ejecting discs at 3 am no matter what 'fixes' I did or where I put it, and then I went to a pro. None of them are really old enough to have real wear on them, but my pro is getting louder and may get some thermal paste surgery soon, and my launch controllers have all had the rubber joysticks degrade to feeling really shitty.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
My PS4 pro is definitely slower than it was when I took it out of the box. Getting to the home screen can take a decent amount of time sometimes. It seems more like it depends what game I'm playing though. Also, mine has been pretty loud since I purchased it, but no where as bad as some of the videos and stories I've seen.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I upgraded to the Pro, but I ended up giving my OG launch PS4 to my friend. So far he hasn't had any problems and it still runs like a champ. A bit noisy when playing demanding games but it has always been like that.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
the OS has become so slow that just exiting an app like youtube takes too long or closing something takes too long :/ this started like 2 years ago too. Don't feel like getting a pro

tolman

Oct 29, 2017
I've got ps4 slim and it can get pretty loud and hot in some games (Doom, Battlefield 4 and 1, Dark Souls3 ). Console is set horizontally on my desk with a lot of space around and I play only digital games. I bought it half a year ago. Also got crackling sound through headset connected to the controller. Also when I turn it off it gives crackling sound when cooling off (just like ps3 slim model back then).

HotEars

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
To all the people with OG PS4's, it would greatly help and prolong the life of the console if you guys took it apart, clean it, and change the thermal paste. You'd be surprised what a difference it makes.

I've got ps4 slim and it can get pretty loud and hot in some games (Doom, Battlefield 4 and 1, Dark Souls3 ). Console is set horizontally on my desk with a lot of space around and I play only digital games. I bought it half a year ago. Also got crackling sound through headset connected to the controller. Also when I turn it off it gives crackling sound when cooling off (just like ps3 slim model back then).

That's the sound of the plastic cooling down. Heat causes the plastic housing to expand, when you turn off your PS4 the console cools down causing that snapping and crackling sound from the plastic.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Higher framerate games seem to instantly turn mine into a jet engine. It's not even that the inside is already hot.

If I start up Nex Machina, it will literally get its loudest on the start screen. I had to buy better headphones just so I could hear my games sometimes.
Transistor did the same thing the very day I got the system. The console was still cold to the touch, but soooo loud.

It's so poorly done. I guess it beats overheating, but it's not like Sony only had 2 outcomes to choose from.

Also, mine ejects disc at random. If the system is on or in rest mode it'll just randomly choose to start ejecting disks.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
My PS4 Pro runs greatsauce! But it does get noisy during long sessions of WW2/Black Ops 3 Multiplayer but just a short burst though which is weird. Other than that, its super great also I still have PT on it lol

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2014 Destiny White PS4 humming along, and a 2015 Uncharted Collection Black PS4 running equally well, no complaints here.

I wish my Gold headset had had the same longevity... (Severe crack after 1 year, utterly "disintegrating" within 2 years).

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
My son has my launch day PS4. Still works like it did on launch day. It does occasionally get the jet engine fan going on intensive games, but that's it. I've had good luck I guess. All I do is use compressed air on it now and again.

My launch PS4 Pro runs fine and I don't seem to have the noise issues that others have.

Last edited:

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Launch unit still runs fine but I do clean it periodically and keep it in an airconditioned cabinet.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
My launch model was fine until the week before the PS4 Pro came out and it ejected a disc while I was playing it. I traded it in towards the Pro so it didn't matter too much.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
I sold my launch PS4 to a friend. It seems to be running fine, although the touchpad on the controller likes to get stuck on the right side. Not sure if I spilled something on it or if it was just a bad button.

My PS4 Pro, on the other hand, puts out quite a bit of heat when it's in sleep mode. Not sure if that's normal. It seems to run fine, but it gets pretty toasty behind the thing.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Launch day PS4 here, and it's still working well. Cleaned out the dust recently, which did help with the noise. It' still audible, but not nearly as loud. I did have the disc eject problem for a bit, but it sort of just went away at some point. Honestly hasn't happened in over 2 years.

Have 2 controllers as well from 2013, and unlike others haven't had any issues. Sticks and buttons are still fine, at least for me.

The one issue I've been having lately, is the external hard drive un-mounting for seemingly no reason when in rest mode. I can recover, but I lost a decent chunk of progress in a game since I didn't save and just went to rest mode. Most of the time it's fine, but it does happen every couple of weeks.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
My OG unit is still fine, just needs some vigorous cleaning and I'll probably replace the thermal paste when I have the chance, as I find it bit louder than I'd like.

One of the controllers has a sticky L1, I'll have to look into that some day. Seems to be a running issue with PS controllers for the L buttons the get stuck.

Mystic Vivi

Oct 28, 2017
I wished I would have kept my launch machine to see just how loud a PS4 can get. My Slim is great though. Silent. Everything I wanted from the original PS4.

redshoepaul

PM Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Launch PS4 here and it's been noticeably getting loud when playing newer games like Destiny 2 and CoD. I do have a 4K TV, but don't want to purchase a Pro.
Controller has been replaced time and time again as well.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting louder by the week. I would always wonder what it felt like to be the people here who always heard their "loud PS4s" and, well, now I know. lol

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Launch PS4 here. Sounds like a Jet taxiing on the runway for most games. Then any 60fps game it sounds like said jet, is taking off. Was hoping the Pro would be a nice upgrade but that thing apparently isn't quiet either.

P.S. I've cleaned my PS4 and applied new thermal paste to it like last year. Thermal paste worked for a bit but it's still bad. Hey ho it still works at least!

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
My launch PS4 started to eject discs and sounded like a jet engine. I decided to use that as an excuse to upgrade to the Pro.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My PS4 Pro is super loud in rest mode, even if it's not downloading anything. My original PS4 never had that issue.

Beyond that it works perfectly fine.

Oct 27, 2017
My launch unit broke 10 months in, fan quit. Got it replaced and my slim now is a little slower but not bad. Fans occasionally kick up.

My fiancé's white Destiny PS4 2014 model gets a little loud and is covered in dust but otherwise works fine.

Can't wait for the super slim, whenever that comes

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I had a launch unit that was running completely fine with no issues other than the rubber on the controller joysticks peeling off.

The battery on the controllers seemed to have died significantly but that was about it.

I recently upgraded to a pro last month and so far no issues and my system is fairly quiet for now*knock on wood*.

Oct 27, 2017
Both my og controllers pretty much disintegrated, my front usbs wouldnt work, the console froze frequently, and often sounded like an airport. The funny thing is the og ps4 was never moved or anything else it just fell apart. Got a pspro, still loud but everything else system to be a better build this time around.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
I had three originals fail within twelve months all with different faults,followed by two slims that were spot on and now a pro that is fine.
Don't get me started on early DS4 controllers however...

Oct 27, 2017
Got a launch Pro and it's running just fine. The launch regular PS4 I had before that was starting to have trouble reading discs though.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Launch unit is doing well. The only issue I had was the auto eject issue. I did the gold plate scratch fix and it has been fine ever since.