• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
All 6 of them are still working great. Although I haven't updated the firmware on a few of them to the latest version (I only use my PROs).

Ricen-Beans

Oct 27, 2017
Day 1 Pro

I have a problem with the disc reader. Won't recognize discs until after the 4th or 5th time of me ejecting the disc and putting it back in.

Very annoying and seems like it just started happening one day. Reinstalling the FW helps but only for the very next time I try to put in a disc.

After I turn it off and turn it on again, it's back to not recognizing discs again.

This kills suspend mode for me and remote play if I want to play anything disc related.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought mine around Bloodborne's release date (so, early 2015). My first Dualshock 4 is shot, partly as a result of mediocre build quality, partly because it was hurled or whacked in frustration a couple too many times. Got a new model controller and it's been very good, and the PS4 itself is still holding up fine. Aside from storage space. Not sure if I want to sell and then just buy a 1 TB model or spend like 50-60 bucks on a new HDD. The cost would probably be about the same for either option.

augustus

Nov 12, 2017
No issues with my PS4 since I bought it back in 2015...other than it getting insanely loud at times. I need to open it up and clean out all the dust but I'm afraid I'll break something :(

Thinking about upgrading to a Pro just for Monster Hunter though...still on the fence.

RootPith

Dec 21, 2017
It's pretty loud and OS is pretty sluggish.

I'll likely replace the thermal paste, and upgrade to an SSHD once the games I wan't to play comes out. I barely touch the device since I got my Switch, did not even renew the plus membership.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My launch PS4 had the random disc eject issue, where it beeps then ejects the disc during gameplay, It was under warranty and Sony replaced it for me, the new unit didnt have the issue but I didnt trust it.. I wanted one with physical power/eject buttons. Had their replacement until MGS V released, sold it and bought the red MGS V PS4 that ran super cool (compared to the jet engine other models).

Eventually sold that last April and got a PS4 Pro, working flawlessly thus far.. just.. it gets loud at times.

Does anyone know if Loud PS4 pro = Needs more/better thermal paste? Like, if I open it up and replace it with better paste, it will get quieter?
Its in a well ventillated area, so thats not the reason why.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
My PS4 is just about four years old now and it's still doing good. The only problem I had was a rattling fan that was fine after reassembly so I consider myself lucky.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a PS4 in March and had it until the PS4 Pro came out. Has no problems with the exception that it was very loud and it would on rare instances completely reboot when playing games.

On the other hand my PS4 Pro is a champ. Hardly any issues with the exception that it is a bit on the loud side during extended game sessions. I can't hear it when using my headphones so it's not a problem for me.

By comparison both my OG Xbox One and Project Scorpio are whisper quiet.

Nov 10, 2017
Houston, TX
I upgraded my OG system to a Pro last year. It was going strong, other than occasionally being excessively loud with the fans. After a while, I did end up replacing that 500GB HDD with a 1TB hybrid drive, so that may have warded off any performance issues that I would have experienced otherwise.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
My launch PS4 is still going strong, it's loud but it's really my fault because i'm to lazy to clean it.
To be honest i do wish sometimes that it would die on me and i would have a reason to upgrade to the PRO but overall no issues whatsoever.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
My original launch PS4 was still working fine up until the end of the year. It still works, too. I just replaced it with a Pro. It was getting pretty loud by the time I replaced it, but it worked fine. I think I'm going to crack that bad boy up to give it a good clean and replace the thermal paste then try to sell it. I did have a few issues with the random disc eject, but I tightened the manual eject screw and it fixed the issue. I'm pretty happy about the state of my original PS4.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Launch unit here. Still going strong and only has very minor damage. Most notably is that for some reason the eject button just fell off one day and I've been ejecting discs from the OS ever since. Really no other problems though! *Knock on wood*

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I got an OG in like... 2013? It works just as well as the day I got it as far as I can tell. However, I've noticed that during certain moments where 95% of the screen is black, it will act like there is no image whatsoever and just cut to black until something else pops up. Like, in Dragon Quest Builders there are screens where it's all black save for some narrative text at the bottom of the screen, when that happens my TV will just cut completely to black. If I hit the PS button it will pop back up while in the home screen but as soon as I reenter gameplay, there will only be a second or so where I can see the text until the mostly-black-screen segment is finished. Other games with minimal loading icons on a black backdrop will do the same. Does this make any sense? Is this my TV or my PS4?

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
My OG PS4 bought in 2014 isn't noticeably different from when I bought it. But damn, the problems some of you people are having...
I should open it up and clean out the dust, but it isn't noisy, even when running things like Uncharted 4, so I figure best not to risk opening it up and screwing something up if there are no symptoms.

edit: every once in a while I get a weird quick triple beep when shutting it down, but it always works fine when booting it back up. Anyone know what the triple beep is about?

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I have a launch PS4, running like a champ. I have 2 PS4 Pro and they also run like champs. 0 issues.

I bought a Razer Raiju a year ago, and it feels like it brought my PS gaming to a whole new level. Just as good as my Elite Controller, but wired.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My launch PS4 died around the time the Pro came out so I bought a Pro. It's loud as fuck on most games, so I use headphones now when I game. I haven't had a dual shock 4 that has lived longer than a year. The triggers on them die, and the only way I can tell is that I can't go full speed in a car in GTA5.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
My "Destiny/Glacier White" OG PS4 bit the dust after about a year and a half. I sent it to Sony numerous times to correct the Blu-Ray drive, it kept ejecting discs. I tried to tweak it myself based off of videos on YouTube, still ejected discs. Ended up selling it to a neighbor for $20 and it was replaced with the Day One PS4 Pro. I bought a PS4 Slim for my upstairs office (when work is slow). Both the Pro and Slim are running like a dream. I cleaned out my PS4 Pro just a few weeks ago when it started to make hyperdrive-levels of noise. The clean-up stopped the ruckus.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Launch PS4 is fine. Only issue I've experienced is random discs ejecting every so often, but that's easily addressed.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
My Slim gets used every night for Netflix...and maybe gaming 1-2 hours a week. Works just fine. It does get warm if I leave it in sleep mode though...not sure why. I just turn it all the way off every night.

My kids have my OG Xbox One in their room and it gets used a TON more than my PS4. It's still kicking along. It stays in standby mode.

My X1X gets used for 4-6 hours a week of gaming and for some 4k content streaming/movies. It's doing well too. I close all apps before I put it in standby....seems to stay cooler.

My gaming PC has only been turned on like 5 times in 4 months...I feel bad for it....all that money and I don't even use it. Still working great though. The m.2 drive is insanely fast.

Thanks for asking :). How are you?

Oct 27, 2017
My launch PS4 is loud and it keeps spitting out discs so it's forced me to go all digital the last year. I've tried fixing it using different methods but it only fixes the issue for a day or two before it's back to throwing up discs. I'm gonna just ride it out until PS5.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mine makes a strange crackling noise for extended periods of times. But I don't have it as long.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Slim model here.

The OS always acts really buggy after I browse the store(Which is an utter mess) - it sometimes even freezes the console a few minutes afterwards.

It also has this really odd bug on start-up where I often receive a message [A LAN cable is not connected] - even though the internet features proceed to work just fine.

No issues otherwise.
It's not even loud.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My launch Ps4 got as loud as a jet engine, so I took it apart and replaced the thermal paste. When I put it back together, the blue ray drive's ribbon connector must not have been fully connected and the drive didn't work anymore. I was too lazy to reopen the damn thing and try to fix it (mostly all digital, who needs a BDD). Then an update came out for the Ps4 that bricked my console due to the broken drive, so it's unusable now. I bought a Ps4 pro on sale.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Really well. The OS is a little slower, but that aside I'm very content with how well it runs.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
My original model was perfectly fine throughout the 2 years I had it. Switched it for the Vader console in 2015. Then switched that for the Pro in 2016. Pro is still perfectly good.

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
If I run a game on my CUH-1200, the top of the console feels flat but once I let it cool down, I'm quite sure the plastic remains expanded right here ever so slightly. Like a small bump on the center.

ps4tpsby.png

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Bought mine on Black Friday 2015. Only thing I've done is replace the 500GB hard drive with a 2TB one. Have all my games installed now plus random ps+games I been meaning to play. Mine doesn't make much noise except for the weird noise the disk drive makes when starting a game and the disk stops spinning. Overall, been a pretty good system to use.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Launch PS4 alive. I did change the thermal paste with IC Diamond once the 3 years extended warranty was up.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Do yourselves a favor and Dust your PS4s out and if you are computer savvy I HIGHLY recommend putting new thermal grease on the CPU and giving the internal fan a good cleaning

This will make your PS4 cooler and whisper quiet

Soluzar

Dec 25, 2017
No problem at all with either of the ones me and my girlfriend own. Both are original models, but mine is the older one. I guess mine is over 3 years old... hers on the other hand is from a little before when PS VR launched, I think. That makes it a year and a half old, probably. It's a slightly different hardware revision than mine. Neither of them are a PS4 Slim or Pro, but hers has actual buttons for power and eject, while mine has those irritating touch-over-sensitive buttons. Hers is white, for all I know all the white models have that.

As for loudness, mine is louder. We both find that with digital games the noise when a game loads or installs is greatly diminished. That has become our preference anyway.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I have a pro and it's fine as long as I don't try to use the browser to watch streaming video. That immediately tanks the performance of the entire OS

Mashdyno

Oct 27, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
My launch PS4 is doing fine but I dont use it much anymore since I got a Pro(also launch). I do worry about my Pro because its super loud and I assume running at a higher temp than the standard unit.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My housemate's seems to still run games fine but it sure does sound like it's about to take off into hyperdrive when playing graphically intensive games like BF1.

That's just the PlayStation brand lol

My PS3 was a jet, then I put off buying a PS4 but everyone said it's ok!! Then I buy one and more intense games come out and it turns in to a Jet.

Then I thought ah the Pro should be ok, then comes wolfenstine 2 and WW2 and I'm back to owning a Jet!

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I had one from late 2014 that sounded like it was getting ready to blow. I pawned it off and bought a Pro last month before it could kick the bucket.