• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Been watching gameplay of this franchise's recent titles, and while they look like really fun and stylish strategy RPGs, with some cool crossover content and dialogue coming with it, it kind of looks like I would run into the same problems that Project X Zone 1 & 2 had (which share the same developer, at least with the first PXZ, but most of what was in the first PXZ came back in the sequel anyways). I've stated on this forum previously that I really like both Project X Zone games, but wow do they get repetitive and tedious fast. Mostly because after a certain point in the game the chapters get way too long, the animations that you thought were cool have now kind of lost their appeal because you have seen them over a hundred times, and the mission objectives sometimes make you fulfill a requirement that is unnecessarily obnoxious.

I am also looking at the HowLongToBeat pages for these titles and they pretty much all take 40 hours to beat, almost the exact amount of time it took me to beat the Project X Zone games, so this fact doesn't do much to dispel my worries.

These games are not cheap to pick up so I would love to hear some input on whether these games are as repetitive/tedious as they look, and just some impressions of the series altogether.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I looove Super Robot Wars, but it plays more like a Fire Emblem game which I prefer to PXZ. PXZ I found very... boring, forcing myself through the end of the first game and not making it too far in #2.

If you're big into mecha anime you'll enjoy it, but to me that's the main draw of the game. The animations are fun and just having a bunch of characters I love in one place is great and the game isn't super difficult to master.

Are you getting them on PS4 or Switch? I'd assume SRW V on PS4 would be relatively cheap now on ebay, as opposed to T on Switch which is like $70-80+ to import I think?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I do turn off the animations after a while, but I do that with most Fire Emblem type games. Yes it will get repetitive. The earlier titles have kind of wonky translations. But if you love the mecha at all, it's worth it.

I'm not exactly sure what it is but it's still way less tedious than the similar Gundam strategy game they put out. I love Gundam but it puts me to sleep.

gsab1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
V at least has multiple paths to mix things up and their are battleship units to help clear enemies. V is worth a purchase but it might be to repetitive for you if you disliked project x zone.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The trick to SRW being bearable is knowing when to have animations on and when to turn them off. Watching every single attack every time is madness, but if you use them tactically to maximize your enjoyment, it's basically a way more complicated Fire Emblem with amazing music.

Project X Zone requires you to actually do things in combat but you see the same shit constantly, so it gets old fast once the veneer wears off.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I looove Super Robot Wars, but it plays more like a Fire Emblem game which I prefer to PXZ. PXZ I found very... boring, forcing myself through the end of the first game and not making it too far in #2.

If you're big into mecha anime you'll enjoy it, but to me that's the main draw of the game. The animations are fun and just having a bunch of characters I love in one place is great and the game isn't super difficult to master.

Are you getting them on PS4 or Switch? I'd assume SRW V on PS4 would be relatively cheap now on ebay, as opposed to T on Switch which is like $70-80+ to import I think?

Seems like fun! I just don't want it to overstay its welcome is all.

Don't really know what I'm getting yet, V is still $60 most places unfortunately. Was thinking of getting X, but heard it was kind of mediocre?

V at least has multiple paths to mix things up and their are battleship units to help clear enemies. V is worth a purchase but it might be to repetitive for you if you disliked project x zone.

I actually really liked PXZ, I just got so bored of seeing the same animations and enemies over and over again. Not to mention while I loved the dialogue, there was very little of it? The SRW games look like they fix that issue.

Do you have any impressions on X? That was one that I was interested in.

The trick to SRW being bearable is knowing when to have animations on and when to turn them off. Watching every single attack every time is madness, but if you use them tactically to maximize your enjoyment, it's basically a way more complicated Fire Emblem with amazing music.

Project X Zone requires you to actually do things in combat but you see the same shit constantly, so it gets old fast once the veneer wears off.

The music was honestly one of the main draws for me haha. So if I'm smart about the settings, the game's don't feel as repetitive and it becomes a pretty fun strategy RPG with a visual novel on the side?

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
X is fine in my opinion, I don't find it any better or worse than V or T in terms of gameplay, but I also kind of read through the plot super quick/skip a bit of it to get back to the gameplay. I'm always someone who likes to play the earlier entries first, and in this case that would be V. I honestly don't think you'd go wrong with any of them though, and if you like whichever you play you can bounce to any of the others easily, minus a couple QOL features that T has which are notably missing from the previous current gen games.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
X is fine in my opinion, I don't find it any better or worse than V or T in terms of gameplay, but I also kind of read through the plot super quick/skip a bit of it to get back to the gameplay. I'm always someone who likes to play the earlier entries first, and in this case that would be V. I honestly don't think you'd go wrong with any of them though, and if you like whichever you play you can bounce to any of the others easily, minus a couple QOL features that T has which are notably missing from the previous current gen games.

Thanks! Anything you want to say regarding the length of the games? I'm fine if they're long, but if they stay interesting for said time period.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks! Anything you want to say regarding the length of the games? I'm fine if they're long, but if they stay interesting for said time period.

SRW T I clocked in at about 40 hours, but as I said before I kinda skip a lot of the dialogue. With dialogue you're probably looking closer to 45 or more. This was also on Normal mode and I didn't fail any missions so there were no repeats.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The music was honestly one of the main draws for me haha. So if I'm smart about the settings, the game's don't feel as repetitive and it becomes a pretty fun strategy RPG with a visual novel on the side?

Pretty much. The good news is that you can actually decide on a battle by battle basis which animations you want to watch.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much. The good news is that you can actually decide on a battle by battle basis which animations you want to watch.
SRW T I clocked in at about 40 hours, but as I said before I kinda skip a lot of the dialogue. With dialogue you're probably looking closer to 45 or more. This was also on Normal mode and I didn't fail any missions so there were no repeats.

Awesome! Probably last question, if I've never watched the anime series that they are representing, you think I'll be lost or my enjoyment of the game might lessen?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! Probably last question, if I've never watched the anime series that they are representing, you think I'll be lost or my enjoyment of the game might lessen?

Probably. I prefer the Original Generation games because they don't rely on anime I don't watch. But as long as one or two shows you care about are in the cast of a non-OG SRW it's usually fine.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017

Have you seen any of them or none whatsoever? If you haven't seen/don't care about any then maybe Original Generation is the way to go to give it a go. Personally the characters/series are what bring it together for me, even if I'm only familiar with maybe half or so.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
The gameplay is still most important. If you enjoy the gameplay, you will enjoy the game regardless. But if you don't, even if you have watched every single anime and also loved them, I don't see how you can enjoy the game. Maybe the game will even get you interested in the anime! I first played this series when I was still in kindergarten and never watched any mecha anime before. It's this series that actually made me interested to watch Evangelion and some Gundams lol.