• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
We had a pretty bad ice storm over the weekend, and it was at its worst last night. The wind was bad, not to mention noisy, and it still hasn't stopped raining. At least it's warmer and not freezing rain or ice anymore.

This led to my driveway being a skating rink today, and also messed with my electricity pretty badly last night and this morning. It must've gone out in the afternoon, but got really bad during the nighttime. At 9pm, it went out, then came back on, and it went out about 13 more times between then and three thirty in the morning. It'd go out, come back on a minute later, then go back out a few minutes later and so forth. Eventually it went out for about 3 hours.

I had something downloading to an external using a console I'd left on standby like an idiot. The whole time the power was going out, I was worried it could potentially cause damage to it, especially since it was left on standby. But since it was going out so often I didn't want to risk turning it on.

When the power came back on around 3:30, I gave it about an hour and then tried gaming. Things were fine, and it seemed like it switched off of standby on its own after the first outage because it took a bit to turn on but not an abnormally long time. Just longer than from standby which I rarely use for this reason.

My sleep is messed up and I was supposed to have an appointment early (but it was too dangerous to drive), so I decided to stay up and play some video games. The power seemed stable. But after an hour, my TV started turning off then on repeatedly, but the console remained okay. I naively wondered if it was maybe starting to die, because it's old, because the lights weren't going out and were maybe flickering just a tad (but I wondered if I was imagining it while blinking). After about 15 minutes of that, though, the TV went off and so did the console, then the TV came back on. I'd even gone upstairs to look to see if the power had gone off up here, but it hadn't seemed to have and the WIFI was still running even when the TV was going off. I reset the TV in case that was it, but it wasn't.

The TV and console are both plugged into wall outlets that are a foot or two apart.

I ended up risking things and turned the console back on, did a full shut down and left the room. I bet it's fine, but I hate it when the power goes out while I'm gaming. I'm sure they put protection into them and treat them like appliances, but even then could this potentially cause damage? Hopefully the games that were installing during each power outage won't corrupt because it'll take a while to download them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.