• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
The only time I ever have any anxiety is when I have to speak another language to a group of ppl or when I'm heading to some event with a bunch of ppl in the US(because of the shootings). Definitely not any big anxiety or anything, I'm good once I'm actually doing whatever

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
In school I used to stress out about everything. I still kinda do, but I've experienced enough menial things to know they usually are nothing to get anxious about. At one point I just kinda decided to just let things happen as they happen and not stress about things I have no control over anyway.

Like yesterday, I had a colonoscopy in the hospital. I can honestly say I didn't feel much stress at all. The old me would stress the fuck out for months leading up to it. Life is too short to worry about nothing.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I only get stressed when presenting/speaking in front of a group of people. Demo days at work when I present to a group of a dozen or so people are brutal for me. As are our monthly sync ups where I'm in a room with 20+ people.

Social anxiety is something I regularly power through but it's never really gotten easier. It just kind of always sucks no matter how good I am at it or how often I do it. Exposure therapy never really worked for me.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty bad. With my social anxiety, though in the social moments themselves/being around people I'm usually weirdly at ease, the before and after I'm always a wreck. I've gotten better at recognizing that I'm never actually anxious while doing the thing, talking to people, being around people, whatever, which helps a little, but the before and after anxiety is still pretty intense and can be debilitating and I'm not sure how to break it.

I also have more general anxiety which isn't completely pervasive but is still bad and gives me a lot of difficulty sleeping. I have a feeling this would improve if I were able to engage and communicate with people more irl (ironically considering my social anxiety I guess) but my current health issues prevent that.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Awful, but I've managed to keep it under control with some exercise.

Getting older has improved the social anxiety because well, I'm old enough now that I don't really care what others think.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
varies. most of the time i'm pretty functional. I struggle with motivation and getting myself to do things alone, but that's probably my biggest day to day hurdle.

I'm a pretty big hypochondriac though and once a year or so I'll convince myself that I'm dying and have mad anxiety that can range anywhere from a week to a couple of months. Last year I convinced myself that I had ALS and had bad anxiety which led to the shakes and weird sensations in my arms and legs (anxiety and stress can do crazy shit to your body), which only further convinced me that I had ALS.

so when that happens, it's not fun. the vast majority of the time I'm fine though. the day to day struggle is bearable, and has only gotten better as i've aged tbh.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
The other day I went to the doctors (for something completely non life threatening so no reason to be nervous) it was my first time going on my own to this new doctor , things like that make me super anxious. When I got there he asked me if I had ran there because my heart was pounding

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty damn bad

I always put things off due to it, scared had that feeling in my stomach when ever. Something new comes up

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Erm... I think last time dates back to something like 3 years ago when i was waiting on a bank response for the loan to buy my appartment but that's about it. Anxiety isn't really something i know much about.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Without a metric to compare to, I don't know. I've never had a panic attack, but when something goes wrong, or if I need to speak to someone who I've never met (usually work related), it hits.

Oct 27, 2017
Not great. I basically ignored my anxiety issues (which has led to bad habits with avoidance) throughout my teens and 20s. And now, as a 30-year old, it feels like the bill's come due. I'm seeing a shrink to help me navigate through it, which has helped some, but work has been a major trigger and some days are pretty shitty.

Anxiety sucks.

We're one in the same. I'm 31 and have been having panic attacks every night when I try to go to sleep. My doctor explained that as children, we're very good at repressing traumatic events. But as we age, usually by the time we hit our 30's, our brains decide it's time to address these events. I've had general anxiety since I was young, but I definitely ignored it through my 20's. Then two years ago I had my first ever panic attack and had no idea my body could literally feel like it was dying. Went to the emergency room for what I was sure was a heart attack.

But yea, seeing a counselor and psychiatrist has definitely helped. And Klonopin is a life-saver. Some days I can get through it with breathing exercises and mantras, some days are pretty horrible. Work causes a lot of it, as I'm training to become the general manager of our company in the next couple of years which is a huge stressor.

I truly hope it gets better for you and seeing your shrink helps you find peace.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Everyone gets anxious at some point in their life, how often do you get anxious, to what extent? I feel like we don't talk about this much, beyond some talk of breathing exercises making you feel less stressed and anxious. Has it been a long term problem, is yours triggered by anything?

Mine has been a long term problem, since I was a teenager at least. It's pretty frequent, tends to be triggered by either travelling or when I do things in life I don't do regularly, whether that's a small thing or a big change.

Just imagine everyone naked . . .

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It was horrible for my entire life until I got put on Lexapro. Shit changed my life. I wish I had gone on it decades ago.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've come to realize in recent months that I've built up a ton of strategies to avoid situations that trigger my anxiety and that that's led to me avoiding a ton of stuff that otherwise I'd like to do and has certainly steered my life in some specific directions. So, I've starting seeing a therapist for the last month or so, have started the Headspace meditation app to try and get some more control over thoughts, and I'm also on my first day of generic Lexapro today.

I'd like to not have the stupid freezes of avoidance as I take the stairs when I see someone else waiting for the elevator. Or not going into the break room when I see someone else in there. Or being worried and nervous about having a one on one conversation with someone. Or not wanting to make phone calls that feel like they could be a bother to someone else or that someone could somehow criticize me for doing something wrong as a result of. Not being paralyzed by the worry of that kind of thing would be nice.

leder_

Nov 22, 2017
I started having panic attacks, and general panic disorder, in 2014. Went 2 and a half years before seeking professional help. There was a period of 6 months where the symptoms just went away, though, and I thought I would be fine. However, in late 2016 they came back worse than before, so I went to see a psychiatrist.

Took some serotonin inhibitors for 6 months and have been feeling good for 2 years. I actually never felt as good as during or the months after treatment. I could do anything I wanted.

Having said that, for the past 4 weeks or so, suddenly my situation degraded a lot, it's maybe worse than ever, I've been having some nasty panic attacks lately. My doctor, during my previous treatment, said it could come back eventually, so it's not really surprising to me. He also said we'd try a longer period of treatment if it did. I have an appointment with him later today, so I'm feeling optimistic.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I've come to realize in recent months that I've built up a ton of strategies to avoid situations that trigger my anxiety and that that's led to me avoiding a ton of stuff that otherwise I'd like to do and has certainly steered my life in some specific directions. So, I've starting seeing a therapist for the last month or so, have started the Headspace meditation app to try and get some more control over thoughts, and I'm also on my first day of generic Lexapro today.

I'd like to not have the stupid freezes of avoidance as I take the stairs when I see someone else waiting for the elevator. Or not going into the break room when I see someone else in there. Or being worried and nervous about having a one on one conversation with someone. Or not wanting to make phone calls that feel like they could be a bother to someone else or that someone could somehow criticize me for doing something wrong as a result of. Not being paralyzed by the worry of that kind of thing would be nice.
Pardon my bluntness, and i respect your decisioin to decline answering, but by chance did yo0u incure a domineering mother or father growing up? I ask because the behavior you described sounds like someone used to notstepping on any toes.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's as bad as it was before, but I feel anxiety quite often. I'm sure it's due to my stress level, which is always going crazy. Not really sure what causes it either, it's just kinda always there. I'm extremely calm as a person, but internally it feels like a fire drill all the time.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
Bad enough I had panic attacks where I could not function. I am medicated now and its a different world. Took me till my early 30's to do anything about it and man I could have done a whole lot more rad shit if I was not dealing with that my whole life!

edit: edited to also include that I had an amazing Therapist who was just as important as the meds. Got lucky!

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
at least a few times a week and since I was about 18. I have medical pot but can't do that at work so normally I just spend a few hours panicking till whatever was causing it was cared for.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Severe. Not so much social, although I have that too, to a moderate degree. My anxieties primarily impact the relationships I have with others (and myself, as well). These include loved ones, friends, authority figures, caregivers, service people, etc.. Tl;dr: I'm a fucking basket case.

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty bad. No physical effects like sweating or panic attacks but it keeps me from doing a lot of things socially, resulting in a very avoidant lifestyle. Was recently prescribed gabapentin for my anxiety so hopefully I can keep it under control.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Before getting therapy and tested for ADHD and getting medication that works, my anxiety would hit me in insidious ways. Racing and repeating thoughts was the big one, so it never seemed like I could calm my mind down except for sleeping or getting really drunk. This led to me being something of a motormouth when I was younger, and a generally irritable person as I grew older. It made my anger a kind of zero to one-hundred kind of thing, in situations where it really didn't have to.

Using the phone also really bothered me and still kind of does, but that is just because they are the devil's walkie talkies.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'm autistic so both anxiety and depression are constant companions. It sucks.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I haven't been diagnosed with any anxiety disorders but presenting in front of a group or the occasional social gathering/situation can cause it to spike. Work anxiety was a thing for a while because of the nature of working on contracts with an end date and the inherent uncertainty about extensions.

I've gotten more comfortable with the social stuff as I've matured and gained more self-confidence. We have hosted friends for watch parties, done small group meetings and group activities as well with no major issues. I'll always just prefer a small close-knit group. There's a fancy formal birthday celebration coming up for a mentor and I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. I avoid uncomfortable social situations if at all possible though: awkward retirement/birthday celebrations, lunches in the work cafe without friends, etc.

Last edited: