• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9838

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is so relaxing... Hookah lounges are so nice. I LOVE going to them and just chilling out and smoking... the couches are so comfortable and it's just an amazing experience. I found out though that hookah is tobacco and it's the same as smoking cigs. This made me feel awful. It is so nice but is it really that bad?

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It is so relaxing... Hookah lounges are so nice. I LOVE going to them and just chilling out and smoking... the couches are so comfortable and it's just an amazing experience. I found out though that hookah is tobacco and it's the same as smoking cigs. This made me feel awful. It is so nice but is it really that bad?

• A typical 1-hour-long hookah smoking session involves 200 puffs, while an average cigarette is 20 puffs. The volume of smoke inhaled during a typical hookah session is about 90,000 milliliters, compared with 500 to 600 milliliters inhaled when smoking a cigarette.
I knew it was bad for you but when i started googling because your question made me curious it was "holy shit is that bad for you" territory.

And of course it is relaxing... that's why people smoke.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So you smoked something without first knowing what it was? It depends on what kind of tobacco they're using to know how bad it is compared to cigarettes tbh, but probably not as bad.

Deleted member 11113

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you asking if smoking tobacco is bad for you? I don't see how smoking it out of a hookah would make much of a difference.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/tobacco_industry/hookahs/index.htm

"Hookah smoking is NOT a safe alternative to smoking cigarettes"

I tried it once with a bunch of co-workers who do it regularly. I don't see the appeal of it at all and have no desire to do it again.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
  • A typical 1-hour-long hookah smoking session involves 200 puffs, while an average cigarette is 20 puffs. The volume of smoke inhaled during a typical hookah session is about 90,000 milliliters, compared with 500 to 600 milliliters inhaled when smoking a cigarette.
I knew it was bad for you but when i started googling because your question made me curious it was "holy shit is that bad for you" territory.

And of course it is relaxing... that's why people smoke.

Jesus, I had no idea it was so bad. I used to do it a lot in college.

Sammex

Oct 25, 2017
Not only are you smoking tobacco but also the flavouring as well which probably isn't too good for you either. If you enjoy it then maybe just try and do it in moderation if you're concerned about the health effects?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Jesus, I had no idea it was so bad. I used to do it a lot in college.
Keep in mind, cigarettes have way more additives and chemicals that make it far worse than just tobacco. Not saying hookah smoking is better for you, but it doesn't necessarily have all the extra stuff in it that cigarettes do

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Yeah it's like turbo cigarettes dude

As with everything, enjoy responsibly, have some self awareness, don't get psychologically dependent on it

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
lol.
would did you think it was?

Oct 27, 2017
Idk... I thought it was some herbs and shit. I didn't really think about what it was... I'm son conflicted. I feel so guilty about it but love it so much.

Some herbs? Like tobacco?

Now I've heard some people claim cigarettes are worse than hookah because of the artificial chemicals but I'm skeptical about that. I used to smoke cigarettes but now I just vape and very rarely go to a hookah bar or have a cigar (like once a year).

But honestly dude, you should not be smoking anything. I don't really know how to say it but there's something very wrong with your thought process if you smoked something without knowing what it was.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The charcoal used with hookahs, alongside either tobacco or tobacco-free products, is associated with the same dangers to health as regular smoking (due to exposure to/inhalation of carbon monoxide and other dangerous chemicals). So, if you use tobacco-free stuff, you may not build up a chemical addiction, but it's still bad for you. Plus, you may build a habitual addiction, which is not insignificant either.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Go to an ecig hookah bar, OP. You won't feel as guilty.

I used to smoke at parties when I was drinking. Soon the parties extended to the weekdays and I barely went to class. But I picked up a new habit with smoking.

Just don't do it.

I quit and went to ecigs. I breathe a lot better.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I go to hookah lounges too sometimes, you don't have to get the tobacco flavour. There are lot of non tobacco flavours too

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
We used to have a hookah when we would party on the weekends but man I never understood the appeal. It tastes like shit and makes your mouth super dry.

Darth Finky Spunky

Banned for using alt accounts
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YZQaLx
OP should feel fine.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Try smoking something else if ya know what I'm sayin... hey hey hey!

Baby carrots

Last edited:

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Imo it really depends on how often you do it and if you're alone or with some friends/family.

Enjoying it every now and then socially is fine. Smoking hookah every day is a bit much tho.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
I do it like once a year when I am in Dubai or Beirut, and enjoy a nice local meal. Apple flavour. So nice and relaxing. Kinda like cigar - a part of the attraction is that it lasts for a long time and forces you to chill.

But yeah, it is essentially a pack of fags masquerading as fresh water vapour

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is not as bad as people are saying. Hookah smoke is filtered through water. It is milder than cigarettes, in terms of particles getting into your lungs and fucking you up. That's why it's a lot easier to handle.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you need to feel badly about it if you enjoy it? It's your body, you're not holding a kid down and forcing him to smoke.

Health?

Lol, I was in the same boat as the OP. I didn't smoke cigarettes because I've seen a number of the smokers in my family get lung cancer. Found out hookah was the same - or WORSE - and was very saddened.

EDIT: To the guy above me - hookah is said to be as bad or worse regardless of filtering. This is especially because you tend to smoke more in one session than you would with a cigarette.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
"Hookah" is not an illegal drug, Michael. It's a type of pipe. You can fill it with tobacco, often mixed with fruit, or other flavors.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's not as bad or addicting as cigarettes but it's certainly not very good for you either.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smoking out of a hookah every now and then is not as bad as smoking cigs regularly. Don't worry about it, man.
always fascinated by posts like this. so perfectly confident. and yet you wonder if they read a word of the thread.

if you mean "twice a year for an hour or so" then, sure. but look at those numbers for a session up thread. it's brutal.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What did you think hookah contained, puppies? lol

Also since you're usually smoking hookah for a longer duration than a cigarette, the amount of tobacco you're consuming is a lot more.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smoked hookah in highschool a lot because it was a cool place to hang out and sin when drinking wasn't super available. I got pretty good at blowing smoke rings.

It's cool and enjoyable but don't kid yourself, you're basically chainsmoking and the water doesn't reduce the harm at all, just makes the experience more pleasant so it's easier to overdo it.

Smoking out of a hookah every now and then is not as bad as smoking cigs regularly. Don't worry about it, man.

That'll depend very much on the values for "now and then" and "regularly" tho.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It's ok to do stuff that's bad for you sometimes. You're an adult. Just be cognizant of the risks associated with excess. Enjoy your hookah sessions in moderation.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Hookah stuff was, like, a persistent presence where I live from like 2006 through 2012, then just disappeared entirely once e-cigs and vaping started gaining momentum.

I did have one roommate who would probably smoke at least 2 hours on a hookah a day every day for the three years I lived with him. He destroyed at all the burners on the stovetop (twice) lighting coals...but nobody encouraged him to get one of those little modular lighter things because otherwise I'm 100% sure that house would have ended up burn down.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For real. You'd make a good stoner, OP.

I feel like I might have smoked enough hookah growing up to lead to health issues at some point in my life. I used to go to the tea house/hookah 4 or 5 nights a week, and about half of my visits included a hookah. I was young and didn't know just how bad it is for you.

combine42

Nov 11, 2017
Nurse here who worked on ventilator floor. Don't smoke.

Oct 31, 2017
I used to smoke hookah VERY heavily. Made a horrible choice of buying one for my own house. I would smoke like 1-3 times a day alone. Not counting any time someone would invite me over to their house or to a lounge.

It's bad dude. I quit hookah roughly 9 months ago, and I feel SOOOOO much better. Took forever to get all the gunk out of my throat. My wallet feels better too.