• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Consumer electronics is different though. China has infrastructure while Mexico doesn't for manufacturing electronics.

Either way, whether we tax goods from China or build factories in Mexico, the consumer is gonna feel the pain to fund it
Yeah thats true i don't expect cheap videogames on Mexico anytime soon thats fantasy

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Question, will any of this affect Canadian prices? Because sometimes it goes from China > US > Canada.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
What admin? All the adults have either left or been fired, all that remains are pieces of shit like Stephen Miller, and lunatics that are either more than happy to go along, or too scared to stand up to him.

Just this week alone he has said/done a number of things that would have a real admin step in, and yet they keep standing up for him.

i hear you. but the market can only tank so much until you can go along with "yeah, tarriffs sound great right now".

though it's the trump era, i'm certainly not writing off any possibility

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely wouldn't want to be in the room specing the next gen consoles thats for sure.

Even if Trump wins or loses in 2020, most people feel like we are barreling towards another recession.

Its gonna be another generation designed around uncertainty in the market

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I could see Sony and MS deciding to delay launch of the new consoles for a year if the tariffs effect them to the point of having to launch at a 599 or higher price point. I don't think anyone wants to run the risk of launching at new console at those price points again.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buying next generation consoles for $700 to own the libs.

What a sec, wasn't voting for Donald Trump supposed to keep politics out of videogames?
nooooooooo!!! Not only are the women and minorities ruining gaming, but now I have to pay $1000 for the PS5!? Alright, Trump, I'm going to vote for you next term but you better fix this!

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Console manufacturers will just take the hit on increased costs if it happens, I can't imagine any of them taking the risk of pricing too high and potentially harming their console from the start. They'll find plenty of ways to recover those costs in other ways though.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about buying the new Nintendo Switch and the 2019 TCL 6-series TV. From what I see, I should be ok with getting a Switch at the regular price this holiday. I'm not so sure about the TCL. Isn't that a Chinese company?

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
this.

Big money moves around to places with most cost-efficient tariffs.

Its not just setting up shop somewhere else that's cheap. The know how of the people in those factories wont be the same, and to get to the same level will take some time. There are also a lot of rare earth metals that go into electronics that China holds like 95% of the supplies.

There are a buttload more issues that i havent mentioned to account.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Its not just setting up shop somewhere else that's cheap. The know how of the people in those factories wont be the same, and to get to the same level will take some time. There are also a lot of rare earth metals that go into electronics that China holds like 95% of the supplies.

There are a buttload more issues that i havent mentioned to account.

Oh yeah, that why I said cost-effective. There are hundreds of variables. I am pretty sure its going to raise the overall prices, but I have no idea by how much.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Question, will any of this affect Canadian prices? Because sometimes it goes from China > US > Canada.
It depends on the way the supply chain is set up (if the shipment goes China->US->Canada or just China->Canada), but I dare say it is highly likely that it will impact the Canadian prices. Canada tends to have similar prices to the US in electronics, so companies won't make the price different for only the US.

Latín America will be affected, for sure. All game are priced here according to the US, plus, since there isn't a big market (Nintendo doesn't even have official presence, they have an intermediary) most of the shipments here come from the US. We're screwed.

Only ones I see that could avoid this are European customers, and even then, a pricing strategy could be to increase the price worldwide, to not have an huge increase only in the American pricing but to use the extra income from the regions not affected by the tax to cover the difference.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I can't see any official price-cuts on the current hardware this holiday then. No point in dropping the price to only see it bumped again by tariffs.

It'll be interesting to see if console makers will eat the tariff costs on current machines to keep the prices steady...or if they'll allow a price bump to anger consumers.

Sony and Microsoft should announce prices for their next gen machines of say $459/$579 at E3....and then say "or $399/$499 if Trump drops the tariffs". That would get attention.

Nov 4, 2017
You know how when you hear about the crazy shit that happened in Germany leading up to WWII, and you're like "how were people OK with this insanity?"? We are living that now. It just takes a third of the population to support a batshit crazy arseholes in charge so long as the apathetic people in the middle outnumber the people who oppose.

I'm surprised big tech aren't doing more to oppose these tariffs though; they are literally bad for everybody. What's the point of trying to protect industries that don't exist in the US by making citizens pay more? Without the economies of scale offered by the huge US consumer electronics market, prices are going to go up all over the world. I'm happy for the US Empire to die, but it sucks that they have to take the rest of us with them :(

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I feel like the manufacturers would take most of the hit, so they can make more money in the long term with the subscriptions and stuff. Unless the consoles were already gonna be priced really low

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Companies are already moving manufacturing out of china and back to Mexico and/or other countries with low rates and no tariffs.
this.

Big money moves around to places with most cost-efficient tariffs.

There is not a real gain to move production out of China for some unreasonable/volatile tariffs. China has no competition when it comes to infraestructure, is not just wages and tariffs.
Then the question is where to do ensable things? For a place to replace China, they should be able to have the manpower and logistics ready and thats a huge investment.
But let say they go ahead with it, first they find a place and a company, secure components, then start training people, and then two months later Trump lifts tariffs...
Not a great business tbh.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get it, if you can afford a $399 console then you can afford a $599 one. You've got over 12 months to save $200. If you need the console at launch then get to saving.

As for me, I ain't ever buying shit at launch. Probably wait for the mid gen refresh/price drops

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, if you can afford a $399 console then you can afford a $599 one. You've got over 12 months to save $200. If you need the console at launch then get to saving.

As for me, I ain't ever buying shit at launch. Probably wait for the mid gen refresh/price drops
I don't think you're accounting for all the other added costs on top of just the consoles themselves. A whole lot of stuff outside of gaming is going to get a lot pricier at the same time due to these tariffs... and for the average person, the pie will remain the same size.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Natural resources are reaching their limits sooner each year, the rise of the far right, lots of countries outside of the developed world getting poorer by the day? A global recession in the horizon? This system is not sustainable nor health for people or the environment.

While I don't disagree with what you are saying, that's not "collapsing." You are basically saying it will have to collapse eventually, that's not the same.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even consider this.

I work in IT and I've seen the prices of network devices go up 50%. For example a switch that costs 3k, now costs 4,500.