• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Let's talk about Thanos simonattoi

gr8ArQ0.jpg

Abelisaurid theropods are well-know from the Cretaceous of several parts of the Southern Hemisphere, including South America, Madagascar, and Africa, but also in India and Europe. Abelisaurids are high-diverse among other theropods with several cervicocephalic specializations reaching medium/large sizes. In the present contribution, we describe a new abelisaurid (Thanos simonattoi, gen. et sp. nov.) from the São José do Rio Preto Formation, Bauru Group, Brazil (Upper Cretaceous). Thanos differs from other theropods by having a well-developed keel becoming wider and deeper posteriorly on the ventral surface; two lateral small foramina separated by a relative wide wall on each lateral surface of the centrum, and well-developed and deep prezygapophyseal spinodiapophyseal fossae. The closed sutures between the axis and odontoid suggest that Thanos had reached a subadult/adult stage before death. Thanos is phylogenetically related to Brachyrostra abelisaurid. The keel on the ventral axial centrum in abelisauroids is here interpreted as a homoplastic condition that became more pronounced towards the phylogeny. The presence of well-developed keel in Thanos suggests that this taxon could be more derived than other abelisaurids. Finally, even though abelisaurids could reach large sizes, Thanos shared the environment with a larger theropod that was probably close to Megaraptora.

Show this is the size of a subadult Thanos simonattoi. A fully grown Thanos will probably reach 1.5 meters in height. Keep in mind what you see if basically all we have of this dinosaur, but it was enough to name a new taxon out of it.

I like the fact that the picture on Wikipedia is purple so it'll look like Barney.

Hz6AWm5.jpg

Here's the link. It's behind a paywall, but most of it is just technical stuff on this single bone that we have.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs...scroll=top&needAccess=true&journalCode=ghbi20

Captain Shivers

User requested ban
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
This dinosaur's arms remind me of Trump, but its political views are probably more progressive than his.

Awesome thread. Love some dinosaur news and a trick title.

10/10 OP

I find the divergence in structure between the superficially all-alike theropods so interesting, particularly between the northern and southern hemispheres as the continents grew further apart

Tyrannosaurs and Dromeosaurs in the north, Carnosaurs and Abelisaurs in the south.

I find it amusing that two very different groups of therapods independly shrank their arms independently whilst operating in seemingly very different exological roles, as demonstrated by their wildly different skulls. Tyrannosaurs Vs Abelisaurs.

OP. Save me a Google. Did southern hemisphere theropods likely have the same level of feathering as northern ones, or did feather development diverge wildly along the north - south split? Were tyrannosaurs and dromeosaurs both much more closely related to birds than their southern competition?

OP
OP
Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
OP. Save me a Google. Did southern hemisphere theropods likely have the same level of feathering as northern ones, or did feather development diverge wildly along the north - south split? Were tyrannosaurs and dromeosaurs both much more closely related to birds than their southern competition?

So far we don't have much evidence of feathers for southern theropods. We actually have skin impression for Carnotarus and it's was scaly with big osteoderms around it. That's also the inspiration for the skin texture in the drawing that you see.

Feathers was probably ancestral to dinosauria, but evolution can be very strange. The same feature and evolve and disappear and reappear throughout millions of years.

Last edited:

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Before I go any further I want to say I have no expertice in this field what so ever, but I have made some observations. Reading the OP, I note the height is about half of the lenght. Originating in the southern hemisphere... Latitudes sub zero, that's interesting. I think it's quite possible he could grow to a considerate size. No more than 5 meters in lenght though, probably.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/need-a-hand-dont-ask-an-abelisaurid-88125248/

With this framework in place, Senter recognized that the entire group of predatory dinosaurs called the abelisaurids had partially vestigial arms. Represented by dinosaurs such as Carnotaurus and the recently described Skorpiovenator, the abelisaurids had stout upper arm bones followed by much shorter lower arm bones (the radius and ulna) held together by an immobile elbow joint. They also had a reduced number of stubby, fused fingers, which could not grasp and lacked claws, making their arms useless for prey capture. Whereas Tyrannosaurus had functional forelimbs that played a role in stabilizing struggling prey, Carnotaurus and its kin had only tiny forelimbs that probably just hung there.
some_abelisaurid_dinosurs_by_kana_hebi-d919l9i.jpg

Heh. This is very PBF. I don't understand the 3rd panel, though. For one thing, it's completely unnecessary. But the scale makes no sense in relation to the first panel. And the over-all panel composition sucks. That floating eye ball in white space is trash, it should have been alternating close ups of both dino's eyes, or just make it a 3 panel strip.

It's funny how you can be a good artist but that doesn't mean you're good at the language of sequential art. Funny bit, though.

Last edited: