• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I have never had to work on anything Star Wars related in my life, whole series is just a magnet for insane nitpicking.

Phobophile

Oct 28, 2017
This is now a grammatical question of whether it was the "forest moon of Endor" (the forest moon belonging to Endor) or "Forest Moon of Endor" (Endor, which has the title Forest Moon).

I always assumed it was the planet Endor, whose forested moon hadn't been properly named by the Empire because of colonialism. They just got there and only noticed the Ewoks and assumed it was some backwoods dump.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bigger question:
Is that really DS2 cause that thing had a dish diameter of 40km and that shot has some serious cloud ceiling/fog/scale issues if it is.
And is that really Endor? It HAS to be right?
To me this thing feels like a case of nice looking, but rather nonsensical concept art piece that a director like JJ sees on a tour of the art department and thinks "this is gonna be great!" and finally has inspiration for an idea for the 3rd act.
71e9bzm.jpg

We already discussed that, the chunk could just be very far from Rey's location and the atmosphere on Endor could just be different than Earth's.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
The bigger question:
Is that really DS2 cause that thing had a dish diameter of 40km and that shot has some serious cloud ceiling/fog/scale issues if it is.
And is that really Endor? It HAS to be right?
To me this thing feels like a case of nice looking, but rather nonsensical concept art piece that a director like JJ sees on a tour of the art department and thinks "this is gonna be great!" and finally has inspiration for an idea for the 3rd act.
71e9bzm.jpg
I knew it looked small!

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
It does LOOK good, I'll be interested to see if it's even the same death star or if it's not even Endor.. but it could be as lame as the magical-splitting planet killing lazor from TFA. JJ seems to favour drama and visual drama over whether something makes sense.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Death Star I had a different design. Its dish was very plain looking whereas the dish of Death Star II had an inner ring/groove inside the outer ring, which you can see in the top picture.

While I'm not saying it's DS1 either (who knows - there was probably prototypes too) The DS1 had the line as well - pic is from StarWars.com

Death-Star-I-copy_36ad2500.jpeg

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
OP I'll admit I had the exact same thought, because that explosion in ROTJ is instantaneous and completely thorough. It looks like it vaporizes the entirety of the Death Star. The real answer is that the VFX shot isn't strictly canon, and hasn't been for a while now (see BF II). It's more like a... visual retcon, or something. There is no hidden in-universe explanation.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
The chunks and struts on the right side of frame feel more like the unfinished DS2 construction in ROTJ than blown to smithereens (if it would be from ANH) though.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The movies are dramatized retellings of legends told through generations that's why not everything is entirely accurate in its depiction.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. It's almost as if these fantasy movies don't really try to be scientifically accurate.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
This just shows how low the series went. There's no respect at all with any of the OT material, incredible that they just go and retcon anything.
This film's not going to work at all, it'll be worse than the unforgivable TLJ.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
When did cinemasins make an era account? It would be stranger if there was no debris from the destruction of an object that massive.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
After briefly rewatching the scene, strictly speaking we do not see the explosion actually end, and confirming to what extent there is (large) debris - the movie cuts away from that. So I imagine the rationale here is that once the explosion itself had faded - having engulfed the entire structure at the moment of detonation - then you had to massive husk in orbit.

Assuming it's the DS2 anyway. Haven't double checked the Yavin depiction.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
When big things blow up, they don't just instantly vaporise:

Something on the absurd scale of the DS II exploding from the inside out would create a lot of large pieces of debris.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
If you really want to look at it realistically, I'm sure physics experts would say that even an explosion of that magnitude wouldn't disintegrate the shell of such a huge structure.

Regarding the footage from Jedi, that was many decades ago and the explosion itself would've sent things flying so fast, they couldn't be seen with the naked human eye.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because JJ Abrams can't seem to be able to create anything new and relying on nostalgia worked the first time?

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Alternative theory what if it's not Death Star 1 & 2, nor StarKiller base

What if it's a Failed Death Star 3 that preceded StarKiller blown up pre force awakens and that was the reason for construction of StarKiller base?

I know too many Death Stars but it could explain why it is where it is, how it's that size etc etc and nothing at all to do with Palpatine, just something we see our hero's come across on their journey, whilst most of us thought that the whole Palpatine plot point hinges on the DeathStar 2 appearance, what if that's nothing at all , just something in the background?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Something that big exploding in Endor's near orbit would have had severe environmental effects if we're being scientifically accurate here.

And things that explode don't just disappear. It's unlikely that every solid piece would completely vaporise.

We saw Alderaan explode but they still flew into the massive asteroid field created by its destruction.

Oh don't tell me JJ was a fan of that Ewok holocaust site.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we assuming it's Death Star II?

Probably because palps is in this movie in some way

One idea I guess would be that he's haunting where he died. I remember one of the old EU books had I think Luke orbiting Endor, and he felt great evil when the ship passed through where the death star blew up. Could be an idea similar to that.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Is it even Endor ? or could it be part of the original Death Star on another planet ?

Whichever and wherever it is, the explosion clearly sent parts of the Death Star flying through space, it didn't just disintegrate.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed that they were on Endor, and not Yavin?

I mean, Leia was holding a medal in the trailer that she gave to Han on Yavin after they blew up the 1st Death Star.

Edit - Jesus Christ autocorrect!

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is nobody making the new Star Wars movie cares about any of this at all. Just by reading this thread you automatically care more than anyone working on it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abrams has always gone for a pretty picture rather than logic when conveying planetary behaviour and spacial positioning.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After briefly rewatching the scene, strictly speaking we do not see the explosion actually end, and confirming to what extent there is (large) debris - the movie cuts away from that. So I imagine the rationale here is that once the explosion itself had faded - having engulfed the entire structure at the moment of detonation - then you had to massive husk in orbit.

Assuming it's the DS2 anyway. Haven't double checked the Yavin depiction.

Thank you. That's the only reply that makes sense and I can agree with it!

As for why the falling chunks didn't cause any visible destruction:
This meanwhile is the apparent canon answer:
latest

But since that's a 'only mentioned on twitter' deal, I could see the potential for a retcon there.

^ I guess this is the explanation.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck a movie called Star Wars about mystical space wizards, laser swords, and camp robots for being unrealistic huh?