• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just confused as to how that would mean the scene is on Yavin.

I'm just saying the 1st Death Star was destroyed at Yavin. Maybe the trailer scene was in Yavin, not Endor. Maybe the ruins we saw in the trailer were from the 1st Death Star at Yavin.

Yavin looked a lot like Endor too, in New Hope. Only less trees.

Edit - plus, the 1st Death Star was a wholly completed station, so the chances of big chunks of it surviving a crash through the atmosphere is more likely than bits from the half-finished Death Star 2 at Endor.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
If you really want to look at it realistically, I'm sure physics experts would say that even an explosion of that magnitude wouldn't disintegrate the shell of such a huge structure.

Regarding the footage from Jedi, that was many decades ago and the explosion itself would've sent things flying so fast, they couldn't be seen with the naked human eye.

But why would you look at it realistically? It's fucking Star Wars. Lightsabers are nonsense. Giant loud explosions in space are nonsense. The force is nonsense. It's space fantasy, not hard sci fi. This is peak "who gives a shit?" territory.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
This is not about whether it's scientifically accurate (because it isn't) but about how far you can challenge the audience's suspend of disbelieve.

TLJ has proven you can practically do anything by having Space Leia, Force Projection and Ships crashing with light speed so it seems weird that you draw the line over some remnants of the blown up DS. The explosion couldn't be made in a way that allowed you to see it wasn't completely vaporized back in the early 80s.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
But why would you look at it realistically? It's fucking Star Wars. Lightsabers are nonsense. Giant loud explosions in space are nonsense. The force is nonsense. It's space fantasy, not hard sci fi. This is peak "who gives a shit?" territory.
LOL. I know. I said that early. Just going on with the topic.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After The Last Jedi, does it really matter anymore?

They've already caused a clusterfuck with everything - can't stop now. Full clusterfuck ahead

At this point I'll be disappointed if Darth Vader doesn't re-appear

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Because it was a movie from 1983 and used a crude explosion effect instead of the highly detailed one you'd see today? It's probably that.

Oct 25, 2017
While people are giving Abrams shit about this (and rightly so with the whole nonsense that is Starkiller base) the "why wasn't everything vaporized" argument is mostly talking about limitations in special effects in the 70s and 80s. If Lucas wanted to blow huge chunks off it it'd have been much harder than superimposing the explosions, not to mention very hard to make the scale seem right and like it was a zero-G effect. All he did was rip off Star Trek and add in the praxis shockwave probably in the rereleases.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
At first i was right there with you OP, but then i remembered thisll be the last fucking time theres going to be a SW movie with a motherfucking death star in it, so lets just let it be and not think too hard and get it over with

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Because it's a movie and they decided to do it.

This.

Why people still insist on questioning plotholes in movies I will never understand. Its always just because they can or because the writers want to. There is no deeper meaning. There is no secret truth. Its probably just abunch of people saying "Yeah its not accurate, but its cool so fuck it"

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We literally had Leia survive the vacuum of space and here we are arguing about debris? Come on people, get your priorities straight.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's JJ Abrams, a man who once made a movie where a star going supernova, a common occurrence in the universe, somehow threatened to destroy the entire Milky Way galaxy.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The whole death star concept is ludicrous. Star Wars isnt science fiction, it's a fantasy story.

It's like wondering about the magical effects in lord of the rings. Admittedly you want your fantasy to stay consistently within the margin of its rules, and Star Wars fails even in that respect a lot. I blame poor writing.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying the 1st Death Star was destroyed at Yavin. Maybe the trailer scene was in Yavin, not Endor. Maybe the ruins we saw in the trailer were from the 1st Death Star at Yavin.

Yavin looked a lot like Endor too, in New Hope. Only less trees.

Edit - plus, the 1st Death Star was a wholly completed station, so the chances of big chunks of it surviving a crash through the atmosphere is more likely than bits from the half-finished Death Star 2 at Endor.
If it's anywhere we've seen before, it's Endor. The Rebel base was on Yavin IV, a moon of Yavin, and the Death Star was blown up while still coming to bear around the gas giant (that's the countdown going on in the movie while the battle is happening). Plus the first Death Star had no connection to Palpatine's death, which we're all assuming is a factor.

But of course they can use whatever hyperspace trickery they want to make it anywhere.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. It's almost as if these fantasy movies don't really try to be scientifically accurate.
Explosions don't generally vaporize everything. If anything, bits & pieces (even big ones) of the Death Star surviving the blast and landing on a moon/planet nearby sounds like what would happen IRL when something explodes, instead of the exaggerated Hollywood Explosion that engulfs everything.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how ppl can enjoy the MCU with how much logic gets thrown out the window in those films. Ppl gotta realize these movies aren't supposed to be super realistic. Lol

Vinnie20

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
Because the person who shall not be named consulted George Lucas for ideas *cue Palpy laughter*

Red

Oct 26, 2017
PALPATINE'S BEHIND IT ALL
With JJ Abrams at the helm, that might very well be the case. Rey's a Skywalker, hidden at birth the same way Leia was. We'll repeat all the same story beats here as we did in RotJ. We get Endor, the Death Star, Palpatine. The blue lightsaber is back. All the gains made by TLJ gone in an instant. But it's no surprise. I hope there is something unexpected here but I have like 2% faith that Abrams has the conviction.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
since the explosion came from the center, it doesn't really matter where the setpiece was located on the surface of the death star.

however, I don't think an explosion literally vaporizes everything even if it engulfs the whole structure, but I am not a demolition expert. the setpiece in the trailer does seem quite large but I don't think it's impossible that a chunk like that could have broken away.

It is totally fine to argue the focus array shouldn't have been intact to the level of degree it was but the OP is literally argueing the explosion disintegrated the superstructure so any large cunks of debris is unrealistic. This thread based on OP logic is absurd.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
For comparison here's what Lost Stars (a canon novel)'s Manga adaption depicted the wreckage/ruins of the Death Star 1 after it being blown up in A New Hope. The thing on the right's a ship discovering it if people get confused.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A large chunk of the structure of the Death Star landing on a moon near to the explosion is the least unbelievable thing about Star Wars 😂😂

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
When the Rebels and Ewoks were partying there was no crashing sounds or earthquakes or anything.

To be fair, those pieces aren't necessarily going to wind up falling to the planet within just a matter of a few days. They'd maintain much of their orbital velocity, and indeed, some pieces would likely be catapulted into an even higher orbit from the blast. It could literally have taken weeks, months, even years for the pieces we see in the RoS trailer to have finally hit the ground.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
It's crazy how little contrast there is in the new movie picture compared to the old ones.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Even in Legends the pieces of the Death Star werent vaporised.

latest

And in ROTJ itself you can see bits of the death Star flying out of the explosion. It wasnt completely vaporised.

8aHAk88BgSaQxDbdq6eUyj-320-80.jpg

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely not HALF the Death Star, that's like a 10% chunk of the exterior at best.