• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jAB15NR.jpg

The explosion seemed pretty thorough in ROTJ. If a huge chunk that was almost half the size of the Death Star fell we would have seen it.

GeJFoDc.jpg

lC9LVvh.png

In addition, wouldn't such a huge chunk have caused a massive earthquake (or even worse, an extinction event) on Endor? It doesn't seem to fit the end of ROTJ where the characters are just partying in a rather calm forest setting.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
shouldnt this be in the main thread? or wait for the movie? OP i don't get this. you understand right?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, it's on the other side of the explosion obviously? That's why you can't see it.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Something that big exploding in Endor's near orbit would have had severe environmental effects if we're being scientifically accurate here.

And things that explode don't just disappear. It's unlikely that every solid piece would completely vaporise.

We saw Alderaan explode but they still flew into the massive asteroid field created by its destruction.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
palpatine used the force to keep a chunk of it together as his escape pod because he had not mastered the advanced jedi technique of surviving in the vacuum of space.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
In those explosion pics in the OP there are clearly big chunks of debris being thrown away from the explosion. I don't understand why this is even a question.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that the materials of the Death Star were really robust, it's not that strange that large chunks of it would eventually crash on Endor. Just as many parts would presumably have stayed on high orbit around Endor.

Explosions don't make things magically disappear, OP.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a movie about space wizards who fight with laser swords that defy the laws of how light and energy work.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In those explosion pics in the OP there are clearly big chunks of debris being thrown away from the explosion. I don't understand why this is even a question.

"Big chunks" really? There are small, ship-sized debris yes, but not a huge chunk that's almost half the size of the Death Star like in the TROS shot.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
How is this a question?

Just look up debris from the Challenger disaster for example.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Laser guns and space wizards... yet this is what you're questioning?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you like Star Wars you should be used to more massive retcons than this.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
This is now a grammatical question of whether it was the "forest moon of Endor" (the forest moon belonging to Endor) or "Forest Moon of Endor" (Endor, which has the title Forest Moon).

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear that the explosion looking like that and not a more impressive version with a lot of debris and shit on fire hurling through space is a limitation of the time.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
That's a chunk from near the coax laser, isn't that bit facing towards the camera in the Death Star explosion scenes?
Anyway, I think the answer is that they don't give a fuck about anything except cool setpieces.

giphy.gif

The chunk from the trailer is dead center in this scene.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
In a world where there is a Deathstar, a mini planet sized object... having large debris after being blown up does not sound exactly impossible

Haha im just messing, but funny thing to nitpick.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The explosion shows fire.

Part of the structure was engulfed in the fire but it didn't "disintegrate".

Also Kylo got his mask back despite it also technically being blown up.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
The bigger question:
Is that really DS2 cause that thing had a dish diameter of 40km and that shot has some serious cloud ceiling/fog/scale issues if it is.
And is that really Endor? It HAS to be right?
To me this thing feels like a case of nice looking, but rather nonsensical concept art piece that a director like JJ sees on a tour of the art department and thinks "this is gonna be great!" and finally has inspiration for an idea for the 3rd act.
71e9bzm.jpg

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The explosion shows fire.

Part of the structure was engulfed in the fire but it didn't "disintegrate".

Also Kylo got his mask back despite it also technically being blown up.

The pieces of Kylo's helmet were left in the elevator after his tantrum, you can see some Stormtroopers looking at them IIRC. Presumably they picked them up and kept them somewhere.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just wait for the Special Special Editions of the original trilogy, with a new CG replacement lore-friendly explosion.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Something that big exploding in Endor's near orbit would have had severe environmental effects if we're being scientifically accurate here.

And things that explode don't just disappear. It's unlikely that every solid piece would completely vaporise.

We saw Alderaan explode but they still flew into the massive asteroid field created by its destruction.
Don't they say is fantasy not sci-fi?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The pieces of Kylo's helmet were left in the elevator after his tantrum, you can see some Stormtroopers looking at them IIRC. Presumably they picked them up and kept them somewhere.

Doesn't exactly seem like that was the priority when he got knocked out and Rey and stuff landed on the planet and he arrived soon after...

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
That's a chunk from near the coax laser, isn't that bit facing towards the camera in the Death Star explosion scenes?
Anyway, I think the answer is that they don't give a fuck about anything except cool setpieces.

giphy.gif

The chunk from the trailer is dead center in this scene.
since the explosion came from the center, it doesn't really matter where the setpiece was located on the surface of the death star.

however, I don't think an explosion literally vaporizes everything even if it engulfs the whole structure, but I am not a demolition expert. the setpiece in the trailer does seem quite large but I don't think it's impossible that a chunk like that could have broken away.