• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I bet it was a prototype or something, either way I find it hilarious they managed to bring the Death Star back

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Explosions don't vaporize debre and you don't see the debre because the explosion engulfs it. This is pretty standard stuff. It's not only plossible but probably large debre would slowly crash into Endor over time with small faster moving debre entering immediately.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's not the Forest Moon of Endor, it's the Grassy Coast Moon of Endor.

But also there are clearly large bodies of water here:

PlanetEndor.jpg

And the Death Star II is so incredibly small in comparison and in a surprisingly close orbit:

open-uri20150608-27674-u9edei_827be8e5.jpeg

It was also only, what, just under 200 km in diameter? It's not even remotely a solid core. I'm sure it'd fuck some things up on Endor, but could it be that bad?
Industrial Light & Magic probably put as much thought into the size and scale of the Death Star as George Lucas did when he wrote the Kessel Run line.

"Does it look/sound impressive?"

Personally, I doubt it even had a defined size until fans wouldn't stop asking about it and they came up with something on the spot.

"It's 200 km across. Next question?"

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The death star blew up very dramatically in Star Wars IV and yet it was still there floatin' around in Episode VI. No doubt there would still be chunks of that thing in space or on the planet.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
There were two Death Stars. The first one didn't survive the explosion to make it to the third movie.

See that doesn't make sense to me because how would they have made that much progress building a second death star without reusing parts from the first? Seems like too short of a timeline, and the 2nd was so piecemeal i'd always figured it was a bunch of refurbished chunks from the OG one.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I accept that the Force exists and we see the consequences of the Force existing all the time. My curiosity here is regarding what are the consequences of large pieces of an interplanetary warship falling onto planets with no obvious repercussions. It's not just "how it happened" but also "what does it mean for the universe that such a thing can happen?".
We have no clue if that is the forest moon of Endor or not. It could easily have been another moon where it caused an extinction wide event. When do not know when it fell if it is the forest moon of Endor. It could have been in a slowly decaying orbit around the forest moon and crashed 5 years prior wiping out the Ewoks. We just don't have enough information to understand what is going on.

It is most likely just a cool looking set piece and nothing more.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See that doesn't make sense to me because how would they have made that much progress building a second death star without reusing parts from the first? Seems like too short of a timeline, and the 2nd was so piecemeal i'd always figured it was a bunch of refurbished chunks from the OG one.
To piggyback of my earlier post about believing and not believing stuff, something that size just couldn't be built in secrecy and in either time frame for the original and second one. The work force would need to number in the millions if not 10s of ot more to make it in a few years time. The resources, logistics and such would take decades of planning. They would have had to be building the second one about half way through building the first one ifnitnisntonbe believed at all. Then the mass. It moving through solar systems would cause chaos.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

From what I remember the in-universe explanation was that they were already in the midst of building another one now they had perfected years of research for the first.

Nov 8, 2017

There are scenes in ROTJ where Vader chides people for not working fast enough. The implication is that they were very much cracking the whip on Death Star #2's construction to get it functional (although very unfinished) for the trap they were springing on the Rebels.

If your post is mainly just saying that it seems implausible that they could build that much in only a few short years since Episode 4, then there's no satisfactory answer for you because we know nothing about how long the first one took to build or what resources the Empire had at it's disposal. At least from the movies, maybe some new expanded universe stuff has given more hints at the timeframes involved.

Keep in mind of course that the Empire even during the Rebellion era was in control of thousands of star systems and trillions of citizens.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because wouldn't it be cool if in the last entry of the sequel trilogy they went and explored some death star ruins and ran into a palpatine force ghoul or something? now let your mind allow that to happen as a lover of fiction

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are scenes in ROTJ where Vader chides people for not working fast enough. The implication is that they were very much cracking the whip on Death Star #2's construction to get it functional (although very unfinished) for the trap they were springing on the Rebels.

If your post is mainly just saying that it seems implausible that they could build that much in only a few short years since Episode 4, then there's no satisfactory answer for you because we know nothing about how long the first one took to build or what resources the Empire had at it's disposal. At least from the movies, maybe some new expanded universe stuff has given more hints at the timeframes involved.

Keep in mind of course that the Empire even during the Rebellion era was in control of thousands of star systems and trillions of citizens.

Wasn't Galen Erso working slowly on the first one on purpose? (or even literally not working on it, when he ran away from the Empire)

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Because the Star Wars movie set really weird expectations how explosions works? :P

You have a gigantic goddamn super station, a clearly slow moving explosions that doesnt go instantly through it giving enough time for a space ship to escape, a "moon" planet that has gravity. Now blow up said station around said moon and voila:

latest

This should have been the last 5 minutes of the movie, just Ewoks panicking the fuck out because their planet was now being bombarded by giant pieces of space station. This is essentially how Gundam colony drops works.
tumblr_mwb4ootGGa1s5oxc0o1_400.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
China
Because the Star Wars movie set really weird expectations how explosions works? :P

You have a gigantic goddamn super station, a clearly slow moving explosions that doesnt go instantly through it giving enough time for a space ship to escape, a "moon" planet that has gravity. Now blow up said station around said moon and voila:

latest

This should have been the last 5 minutes of the movie, just Ewoks panicking the fuck out because their planet was now being bombarded by giant pieces of space station. This is essentially how Gundam colono drops works.

Wow somebody already thought this through. So we're going to get Ewoks leading people to the wreckage? I mean this movie has to be ROTJ Redux.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

latest

Lol, where is this from?

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Wow somebody already thought this through. So we're going to get Ewoks leading people to the wreckage? I mean this movie has to be ROTJ Redux.
Well, realistically, Endor should have gone through an extinction event with pieces as large as that falling from orbit, meaning all Ewoks are just dead by now. :P

This is why I prefer personally Warhammer 40K, no dancing around these kinda of issues. Things die, by the billions per day, in that universe due to war. Star Wars just casually glances over this stuff to make happy endings.

Lol, where is this from?
No idea, have just seen it before in when talking about this. Some Extended Universe comics stuff I guess?

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why can we have fragmented spoiler talk outside of the spoiler thread? I hate you for doing it. :(

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
In the cantina, the veteran says that he hasn't slept well since Endor, but what keeps him going is the idea that the second Death Star's debris rained down on the moon and killed many Ewoks. His fellow patrons crush his last happy thought about Endor by revealing that as a myth, that most of the debris was vaporized during the violent explosion of the Death Star and the rest was intercepted by the Rebels, preventing any harm to the forest moon.
Oh booooooo!

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
In the cantina, the veteran says that he hasn't slept well since Endor, but what keeps him going is the idea that the second Death Star's debris rained down on the moon and killed many Ewoks. His fellow patrons crush his last happy thought about Endor by revealing that as a myth, that most of the debris was vaporized during the violent explosion of the Death Star and the rest was intercepted by the Rebels, preventing any harm to the forest moon.
So in the next anthology book we'll get the story of the unsung hero who raced out in his tugboat to gently guide the death star debris into the ocean and prevent the extinction of the ewoks.

This meager tugboat captain and teddy bear fan epitomized the virtue of "saving what we love." (framed as a story passed down through the resistance technician ranks that inspires Rose)

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The franchise with magical space wizards that wield beams of pure, hot light, befriend talking bear boys with crossbows and wear robes that are entirely impractical for combat isn't following the rules of logic? Color me shocked!

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Eh...it makes sense for chunks of debri to be on Endor (or the surrounding area).

I mean, you CAN see huge chunks (scale wise) of the Death Star flying off into the distance when it explodes. It's feasible.

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I would assume that the metal used in the Death Star has to withstand the strength of the laser beam being fired.

So, if pieces survived the explosion... especially the section used in firing the beam... why couldn't they crash land on a planet... and survive reentry and crash landing?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
When you're talking about a space station of that size, it's probably more illogical to think there WASN'T fragments of it that survived the explosion and fell into Endor