• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all part of God's plan.

Also.

Free will, therefore its not gods plan, we are just a fucked up race.

So many contradictions. I think it was a bad idea for any god to decide that their holy word should be transcribed and translated by mankind.

It would've been a lot more helpful if when creating us with eyes and ears, if they could have also created some kind of communication channel that isn't prone to being corrupted by forbidden fruit eating humans who are easily deceived by snakes.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'd also like to point out that religion is at the route of much suffering throughout human history, war, oppression, murder, prejudice, rape, torture, and then some people int his thread are like "boo hoo you were mean about my imaginary friend on a forum". Nope, not buying that whining.

Yeah fuck this People that are suffering now. Also fuck all germans for the Shit they've done 60 years ago, don't care if they suffer. /s

Some times i wonder if you guys are serious. What a shit argument.

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the weekly god is dumb thread, I always wondered why he would send his son when he did. I mean if he really wanted to spread the word to everyone, why not wait 2000 years. If he had the internet be could have reached the whole world, not just a small corner of the Roman empire.
Motherfucker could've had more followers from a single twitch stream than 30 years of walking around

Jun 17, 2019
First to answer the OPs question, when I found out about the horrors of history I asked myself, why and went into learning more about the culture of the time and the ppeoplwho were behind it. And for the most part I found out that a vast majority of reasons why things happen was because of greed, wanting what others had, science and government saying that because certain people look different they have lower brain cells. And made me furious at science and I felt that schools needed to talk about the bastard that basically made it where people could, though academics think they were better.

I have always been a believer that the bible, like all religious books are man made works which were not written by the people who lived it, but that they are more mortality books to help people find their ethical center.

Wars have been n a lot of things including money, land, people and power.

One thing I have not seen discussed here is the question to those that aren't religous but believe in science as an absolute, how do you justify works of science that allowed for, not only the murder of people in the form of Japan and German scientists that were experimenting on people, but works that argued that PoCs are lesser people and should be treated as property?

Example the fathers of DNA and zoology also thought that African people were subhuman. Yet we still laud them in the community for their achievements.

So then how do you knowingly look at science in a positive way knowing full well thata large amount of resources were used as a means of keeping others down?

Also if you really want to get out there, there is a group that believes we are all in a giant game of the sims. And that God is really a teen playing a video game, only they haven't rest yet.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
This isn't a religion bashing thread btw, it's SUPPOSED to be a thread about how differently we all react when given world shattering information

Did you know there are many scientist that believe in religion(Not just christianity, but other religion too?)
Some of them even noble prize winning scientist.
But like alot of religios people, they don't just take the story from the religion as "fact", but use it as a way of seeing and understanding thing?

• Professor Christian Anfinsen* (Nobel Prize for Chemistry, biochemistry of RNA, Johns Hopkins University): "I think that only an idiot can be an atheist! We must admit that there exists an incomprehensible power or force with limitless foresight and knowledge that started the whole universe going in the first place."

• Professor Werner Archer (Nobel Prize for Physiology/Medicine, restriction enzymes and molecular genetics, University of Basel): "I do not think our civilization has succeeded in discovering and explaining all the principles acting in the universe. I include the concept of God among these principles. I am happy to accept the concept without trying to define it precisely. I know that the concept of God helped me to master many questions in life; it guides me in critical situations and I see it confirmed in many deep insights into the beauty of the functioning of the living world."
    • Professor D.H.R. Barton*** (Nobel Prize for Chemistry, conformational analysis in organic chemistry, Texas A&M University): "God is Truth. There is no incompatibility between science and religion. Both are seeking the same truth."
    • Professor Eugene Wigner* (Nobel Prize for physics, applications of symmetry principles—group theory to quantum mechanics—Princeton University): "The concept of God is a wonderful one—it also helps us makes decisions in the right direction. We would be very different, I fear, if we did not have that concept."
    • Professor Charles Townes* (Nobel Prize for physics, development of the MASER/LASER, University of California, Berkeley): "I believe in the concept of God and in His existence."
    • Dr. Arno Penzias* (Nobel Prize for physics for first observation of the universal microwave background radiation, Vice-President for Research, AT&T Bell Laboratories): "…by looking at the order in the world, we can infer purpose and from purpose we begin to get some knowledge of the Creator, the Planner of all this. This is, then, how I look at God. I look at God through the works of God's hands and from those works imply intentions. From these intentions, I receive an impression of the Almighty."

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is the weekly god is dumb thread, I always wondered why he would send his son when he did. I mean if he really wanted to spread the word to everyone, why not wait 2000 years. If he had the internet be could have reached the whole world, not just a small corner of the Roman empire.
Ah yes. As we all know Christianity for sure never caught on.

Like really?

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Hostility; Accumulated Infractions
There's a really simple way of avoiding eternal suffering though. If people don't want to accept that free gift, then that's on them.

So lemme get this straight. God created us. God loves us. But if we sin too much our soul (and, uh, body I guess?) is sentenced to be burned in a lake of fire for ETERNITY.

By the way, if God sends people to Hell if they don't worship him, he's about as narcissistic as Donald Trump.

USE YOUR FUCKING BRAIN. It's obviously made up

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Those are human made sufferings. The things you should be questioning are things like cancer, birth defects and other natural terrors. If there is a god I don't think it cares about you individually just sort of watching over us like it's playing sim earth.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm agnostic, though I think the existence of a God would be cooler than the alternative. However, if God exists then I refuse to believe hell is real.

Oct 31, 2017
My reaction to learning about the atrocities inflicted by men was never to question God, but to begin to approach white people with additional scrutiny. If history has a villain it's not God, it's white people. God just ignores us.

94a.jpg

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This idea that you can't criticize someone else's fairy tales, even when they have real world consequences, is absurd. There's not a single religion in existence with a single shred of tangible evidence for their god or any fantastical thing written in their holy book. At most they can say their fairy tales are more popular than others. The reasons for which are mostly quirks of history. Do you think it is absurd to actually believe in Odin? Zeus? Osiris or Ra? Why or why not?
You don't really have to be a complete asshole about it though.

Anyways, trying to argue rationally against a faith is one of the dumbest thing one could do.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Did you know there are many scientist that believe in religion(Not just christianity, but other religion too?)
Some of them even noble prize winning scientist.
But like alot of religios people, they don't just take the story from the religion as "fact", but use it as a way of seeing and understanding thing?
1. People being smart does not make them correct about everything.
2. There are many, many scientists or otherwise smart people that do not believe in a god. I'd guess most scientists do not.

So I'm not sure why this argument is brought up so often (I see it used by family members as well, mentioning some random scientist sometimes).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This thread doesn't seem to be productive and it's devolved into hostilities, so it's locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.