• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
My PS3 controller died on me after years of good use. I don't have a PS4 but since I mainly play on PC, I told myself I'd get a DS4 because I enjoy the build of the controller much more. To me it was a no-brainer, there was no reason to buy a PS3 controller again when there's something better out there.

Except the DS4 is compatible but not recognized as an official controller on the PS3, but as a generic third-party wireless controller. You can't go back to the XMB with a dedicated button, there is no rumble, the R2/L2 triggers are not pressure sensitive anymore. Even if games works in terms of compatibility, they don't work in terms of the abysmal range of options that the controller can give.

I wanted to play Yakuza 5 but I can't play the taxi missions because they require pressure sensitive triggers. Resonance of Fate, which might be the only game that I really want to replay on my PS3 flat out does not work with a DS4 since the left joystick is inoperable. Basically all the games I want to play needs me that I invest in a DS3 again, when I won't need it.

Here's an IGN wiki on non-compatible games for the PS3, many more has additional issues but these simply don't work because reasons :

Not Compatible
  • Armored Core 4 (Works for user interface navigation but offers no control during combat)
  • Armored Core for Answer (Same as Armored Core 4)
  • Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition
  • Bloodrayne: Betrayal (Only detects Start button and Analogic)
  • Burnout Crash
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadows
  • Disney Universe
  • Ducktales Remastered (Only detects Start button and Analogic)
  • Gran Turismo 5 (Works for user interface navigation but offers no control during races)
  • Gran Turismo 6
  • Jak and Daxter Collection (Only detects Start button and Analogic)
  • LA Noire (Works for all gameplay except driving segments)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 HD
  • Metal Gear Solid 3 HD
  • Minecraft Playstation 3 edition
  • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
  • Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
  • Resistance 3
  • Resonance of Fate (everything works except for the left analog stick which is necessary)
  • Saints Row: The Third
  • Saints Row IV (Analog sticks only work, buttons don't)
  • Tears to Tiara II : Heir of the Overlord
  • Telltale's "The Wolf Among Us"
  • Tom Clancy´s Splinter Cell HD Trilogy (Makes sense, actually. Since you need the rumble to lock pick on doors).

What's going on here ? They pretty much have the same features so it's not even a PS2 to PS3 situation.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't it just get recognised as a generic USB controller? While some games work with those, it certainly isn't all of them.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I would assume their internal estimates on how much use the feature would get were never high enough to justify going back and programming the PS3 to fully recognize it. Sony's attitude for most of this gen has been "why would people want to play/use old stuff?", and this seems like it could be another symptom of that.

I never had a 360, but I assume the Xbox One controller is compatible with it?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MGS 2 and 3 HD likely don't work because the DS4 doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons like the DS3 had.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing in technology "just works", and I have no idea why anyone at Sony would prioritize man hours to get this to work perfectly. The use cases are too narrow.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It probably has to do with Bluetooth standards more than anything else. It should work 100% of the time with a wired connection for sure, but the wireless functionality plus changes in bluetooth standards is probably some kind of hurdle that Sony isn't too keen on spending resources to fix. Hell, a 3rd party had to built a patch to let PS3 sticks work on PS4 and Sony only adopted it because it was made and it worked.

I think they aren't super worried about compatibility when it comes to hardware this gen.

Also, that IGN is missing Nier, which is a shame because going back to the PS3 controller after using the DS4 really fucking sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume their internal estimates on how much use the feature would get were never high enough to justify going back and programming the PS3 to fully recognize it. Sony's attitude for most of this gen has been "why would people want to play/use old stuff?", and this seems like it could be another symptom of that.

I never had a 360, but I assume the Xbox One controller is compatible with it?

It does not work, so they both must carry that attitude, Kinect port and all. ;)

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
How come a DS3 dont work on PS4? We all know the reason, to sell more DS4. The other way around is probably because they want people to play on PS4.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing in technology "just works", and I have no idea why anyone at Sony would prioritize man hours to get this to work perfectly. The use cases are too narrow.

Whose words are you quoting with your quotation marks ?

I think they aren't super worried about compatibility when it comes to hardware this gen.

That's a huge bummer and really not understandable. I'd get that they would want us to buy a stick for every generation, but a DS3 controller seems to be discontinued and I'm very much not keen on getting used controllers. DS3 are not very hygienic.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I think there is a way to do it, you have to connect it as a bluetooth device instead of just the micro usb

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
That sadly has the issue that diagonal-inputs aren't detected properly.
is that so? man I haven't noticed but that's unfortunate. for the most part it does solve the problem of if you haven't played your Ps3 in a while but want to and all you have is Dualshock 4s lying around.

Dec 15, 2017
How come a DS3 dont work on PS4? We all know the reason, to sell more DS4. The other way around is probably because they want people to play on PS4.

To save your poor hands from that abomination ;)

There was a time I was happy with the DS3 but after using the DS4 for so long, its painful to go back to that little mini thing with crappy thumbsticks and triggers.

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit is another game that wouldn't allow me to use my DS4 on PS3.

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
I personally used the Brook PS3/PS4 to PS3/PS4 Super Converter for for wireless DualShock4 gameplay on my PS3 http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/33917374/

Download the firmware from the Brook website and you can use it in Tournament mode to disable macros. I used it when I played PS3 Destiny when I wanted to have a Year 2 Spring update kick last year. After updating the firmware, follow the instructions on attaching the DualShock 4 on the converter via USB and the converter acts as a wirelss dongle. Brook is very fast when testing out non working controllers on the adapter and it even works with my Nacon Revolution 1 controller after a beta firmware.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
is that so? man I haven't noticed but that's unfortunate. for the most part it does solve the problem of if you haven't played your Ps3 in a while but want to and all you have is Dualshock 4s lying around.

Well it's what I noticed when I tried playing BlazBlue with a friend using a DS4, I was wondering why I couldn't play properly when I noticed that my D-Pad diagonals weren't working, that issue isn't present using the DS4 wired though o.o

And I know that feel, especially since I only had two DS3's and botchered one trying to replace the analog-sticks with PS2 ones :(

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's what I noticed when I tried playing BlazBlue with a friend using a DS4, I was wondering why I couldn't play properly when I noticed that my D-Pad diagonals weren't working, that issue isn't present using the DS4 wired though o.o

And I know that feel, especially since I only had two DS3's and botchered one trying to replace the analog-sticks with PS2 ones :(
you can find some new Dualshock 3s on eBay for half the price of Dualshock 4s

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017

If that's the case why make it compatible to begin with? Seems like not offering the option would be better than offering it but leaving it so limited to the point where you might as well get a DS3 instead.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case why make it compatible to begin with? Seems like not offering the option would be better than offering it but leaving it so limited to the point where you might as well get a DS3 instead.
I dunno man, I'm not Sony lol. My guess is they got it working to the degree they did (knowing full well it wasn't perfect), waited to see the level to which people were satisfied (or the level to which people actually used the feature), and then either said "this is good enough" or "less than 1% of players are even using this, fuck it".

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Because the PS3 isn't a PS4? You expect the PS3 to be forward compatible with the PS4 controller?

Well, uh, it's a controller with the same features...I don't expect it to be compatible with the touch-pad but with the buttons that they have in common...In the same way your dual analog controller could work on the PS2.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
DS4 doesn't have button pressure sensitivity buttons, it's a similar but different controller. You can still play most PS3 games with it, at the end of the day, so better than nothing.

The real challenge is finding an original DS3, 90% of time you'll run into very fakes. Original DS3 still go for 40€, unless you get an used one (And in that case, you still risk running into fakes). Yes, there are THAT many fakes.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
DS4 doesn't have button pressure sensitivity buttons, it's a similar but different controller. You can still play most PS3 games with it, at the end of the day, so better than nothing.

The real challenge is finding an original DS3, 90% of time you'll run into very fakes. Original DS3 still go for 40€, unless you get an used one (And in that case, you still risk running into fakes). Yes, there are THAT many fakes.
I can't say I know for sure, but as long as the sellers have a good history, I trust what I get on eBay. but you're right. fakes are something to look out for, I have mistakenly bought fakes in the past.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I might invest in an adapter, this seems to be the best trade-off to keep using my DS4 to play on a PS3

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like the only place to get a legit new Dualshock 3 anymore is to import from Japan. I don't trust Amazon or Ebay to sell real DS3s.