• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Switch reach Nintendo's project 20 million this fiscal year

• Not even close

• It will fall short of 20 million

• It will meet forecast expectation

• It will surpass 20 million and yearly sales of any platform over the last generation (PS4 20M 2016)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Very confident!

6qfmlf.jpg
Yup, these are the bundles that'll do it. Along with the current library alongside upcoming games.

Oct 30, 2017
Minecraft Bundle would be another big one but I think Microsoft want Xbox One S to be the exclusive system that has a Minecraft bundle.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sticking to falling short. I guessed that Smash and Pokemon would kill it, but 2 major games isn't enough a year to hit 20m.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't been tracking the poll that closely but it does appear that some votes are shifting toward it hitting 20m. For the record I said it would hit it.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I did vote that they will hit it, but I think they need a banger or two in Q4 to achieve it. But with the good black friday and holiday performance they'll be pretty close to those 20 mil as it is imho.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
How is everyone expectation going? still sticking to your "bet" up to this point or changing your mind?

I wouldn't say I'm surprised by that. I assumed smash would move more HW and SW than Pokémon but the question is will it be enough?

I originally said 19-20 million so I'll stick with that. I think they'll come close whether they go over or under. In 2019 they'll easily have the biggest year of any console this gen.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
What I think is most interesting is how seemingly all the focus is on the HW side. If anything the SW and revenue targets are far more interesting. IMO the switch will destroy its SW target and most likely the same with the revenue/profit forecasts.

To me that's more important than whether or not it falls a million either way of the HW forecast (either way it's on a good trajectory). What that shows is that Nintendo has found a way to have a handheld console that not only has a similar attach rate to home consoles but is also priced he same. The switch will end up being Nintendo's most successful console when all is said and done.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
So many people missed wii u, NSMB deluxe could sell more systems. Having said that, they should of teased MP4 at the game awards, that was a missed opportunity.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Right now it's almost a slam dunk to miss the forecast by at least a million. Probably tracking right around 2-3 million off

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
So many people missed wii u, NSMB deluxe could sell more systems. Having said that, they should of teased MP4 at the game awards, that was a missed opportunity.
If a Pro is coming next year, I think they will save the MP4 footage for the Pro announcement - I think there is a high correlation between the pro's target market and MP4, MP4 might be its mascot game same as BOTW was for the Switch. Then again MP4 might just be very far from ready, so far they prefer not to show it at this stage.

As to NSMBU, I'm on opposite side, I have this feeling that it would have far less impact than some people think. Not the same obviously, but I got similar vibes when people said "wait for Wii Sports to appear on WiiU". I think its time is up, the specific product is outdated. But I could be very much mistaken, and certainly hope so.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way the Switch is tracking for 17m units this fiscal year.
I mean it's absolutely tracking for 17 million. As of right now it's less crazy to predict 17 million than 20 million. Anything that would indicate it's going to be well past that number that hasn't been realized yet. The entire year it's been basically flat from last year.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I´m sticking with my 17-18millions prediction. A solid number, but still falling 10-15% short from their target, and it won´t be a good look for the shareholders. Missing by two digits is NOT "barely missing". Anything above 19 millions would be surprising to me, but an excellent news for Nintendo indeed.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
I mean it's absolutely tracking for 17 million. As of right now it's less crazy to predict 17 million than 20 million. Anything that would indicate it's going to be well past that number that hasn't been realized yet. The entire year it's been basically flat from last year.
Not if you listen to any data we have received from insiders and reliable sources since Pokemon release.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
IMO at least 18-19m is a lock, and if Switch is around 1m or less short for 20m, they can easily overship to meat that little difference they would be missing.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's less crazy to believe that a major corporation is that far off their official forecast? Nintendo has both last quarters said that the sales are as expected and have seen no reason to revise their forecast. All sales sources worldwide point to Switch selling real well so far in Q3. Predicting likelihood of hitting or missing the forecast until Q3 sales figure in general is real silly.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
The SIFTD guys have predicted that Switch will only sell 10 million this FY, with around 3 million units sold this entire Holiday. Wow.

Conversation starts around the 1:20 mark.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Not if you listen to any data we have received from insiders and reliable sources since Pokemon release.
Actual data from Japan shows no increase over last year from Pokémon's release. Hopefully smash brothers can turn that around in that market.

We don't have US numbers yet and just being up isn't enough to make goal. It needs to be up 33% as just a baseline which
is no small feat. Then it needs to make up for the previous 7 months.

Generic "it's up" posts and it's doing really well doesn't mean it's going to hit goal.

The recently posted UK data is much more promising on the other hand. If it can be up 50% in November and December across Europe and the United States that might make it close to goal.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's absolutely tracking for 17 million.

No it absolutely is not. To be tracking for 17m units that would indicated that between Q3 and Q4 Nintendo will only manage 2m more systems than last fiscal year. There is 0 evidence the current pace suggests that.

As of right now it's less crazy to predict 17 million than 20 million.

Naw. 17m is impossible. 20m is a lofty goal but with a big Q3 and Q4 its doable.

Anything that would indicate it's going to be well past that number that hasn't been realized yet. The entire year it's been basically flat from last year.

Being flat Q1 and Q2 doesnt mean that they are tracking to 17m.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Actual data from Japan shows no increase over last year from Pokémon's release. Hopefully smash brothers can turn that around in that market.

We don't have US numbers yet and just being up isn't enough to make goal. It needs to be up 33% as just a baseline which

Generic "it's up" posts and it's doing really well doesn't mean it's going to hit goal.

The recently posted UK data is much more promising on the other hand. If it can be up 50% in November and December across Europe and the United States that might make it close to goal.

In the US it was up 115% on Black Friday week YOY. It was probably up a similar amount the whole month, I'd guess somewhere between 85-100%.

Almost everything we're hearing in terms of sales info is exactly what we should be hearing for them to be tracking close to 20M. Everything but Japan, and that's going to start this Wednesday.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Exactly, no one ever doubted that they would have great sales during the holidays; but the fact that the console is tracking YoY at the same level as a heavily supply constrained first year means that they did lose momentum, and it has a very steep uphill climb if they want to reach 20 millions. With this year´s lineup, I do not think that Smash and Pokemon only will be enough to push the hardware past 18 millions.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, no one ever doubted that they would have great sales during the holidays; but the fact that the console is tracking YoY at the same level as a heavily supply constrained first year means that they did lose momentum, and it has a very steep uphill climb if they want to reach 20 millions. With this year´s lineup, I do not think that Smash and Pokemon only will be enough to push the hardware past 18 millions.

Only in Japan.

In the rest of the world it's tracking heavily up. Anywhere from ~50-115% up.

Japan is the outlier here, and it's likely not going to be once we get this past week's numbers.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Only in Japan.

In the rest of the world it's tracking heavily up. Anywhere from ~50-115% up.

Japan is the outlier here, and it's likely not going to be once we get this past week's numbers.

I did not know that, I assumed that the sales were more or less flat as compared to last year in the US and in Europe; at least, that´s what I remembered from their last financial report where they needed to sell something like 15 millions from October to March. My bad if I was wrong.