• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

onion

Oct 28, 2017
It was a great effort. I didn't think it'd be this quick to get somewhere decent up and running.

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
when I first introduced JMON I actually mobilized mods and CS members of Neo Gaming Age Forum to begin development of resetera

Basically you're all welcome

JMON

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Truly amazing experience.
The part that I could contribute was really cool, designing the logo was a community effort, people like Hoo-doo , CorrisD and lots of others giving feedback and suggestions made all the difference.

Long story short: community is awesome

*sniff* the Oscar like speech mention I've been waiting for.

The logo is top notch, and looks lovely on the site so good work with that, if only it was teal...

I thought they were going to give you a tag or something for the logo work?

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, some people in another world have said that the admins were maliciously waiting for a chance to orchestrate a takeover of gaf. What a wacky idea.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The new UI / layout changes rolled out today are already such an amazing improvement. This team really knows what the hell they are doing.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
All I can say is that it was amazing to see it happen on Discord.

I skipped the Discord step. Against all my instincts I created a Reddit account and hung out there during the early part of last week. I found out about ResetEra by repeatedly googling in the forlorn hope of finding a successor effort. Then I just kept coming back and trying to register, until it worked. My account was very swiftly approved, so I must have been well ahead of the massed hordes of 4channers.

It's great to be here. Thanks for the great job of migrating a community at breakneck speed.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017

The logo is top notch, and looks lovely on the site so good work with that, if only it was teal...

not a word about that but its understandable as they are probably handsful.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The Jason Schrier long-form story on the formation of resetera is going to be great.

I'm surprised it got going so quickly, but I saw some of the hard work and motivated community from hanging around on the destiny discord.

One question: How is this being paid for (until now and in the future)? The hosting cost must be pretty big. Are the owners currently looking for advertisers?

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

#TeamTeal is not yet defeated. We will rise.

(Even if it is through custom scripts, rise we will.)

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's not too much to ask but may the option to disable avatars ONLY be implemented as well? Not just images? Granted this is really work safe now! Of course without images I can't follow what certain threads could be referring to.

Thanks mods/admins/devs for all the great work!

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Without discussing anything about the scandal or Neogaf, can I ask how the people were organized and the capital was raised so quickly for this forum to become operational?

I've never started a forum before but I have seen a few business ventures come and go. Is it really this straightforward to start one?

Is this question allowed? I apologize if not.

The honest answer is: Put 200 people with the same goal in a room at once and shit happens quick.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also applaud the decision to keep certain moderators known for really towing the company line and abusing their power at the other place off the roster here. Reset.

Gotta keep mods who really reveled in the celebrity status and smug one-liners out so we can build a BETTER community, not one where people walk on eggshells to satisfy keep someone's emotions in check. And that's what happened. Just beautiful work. Mods aren't celebs here. They are transparent and fair from what I've seen. If this keeps up, Resetera will be better than the other forum ever could have hoped to become. Hell, I think it's already there. Distilled peak-GAF.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I also applaud the decision to keep certain moderators known for really towing the company line and abusing their power at the other place off the roster here. Reset.

Gotta keep mods who really reveled in the celebrity status and smug one-liners out so we can build a BETTER community, not one where people walk on eggshells to satisfy keep someone's emotions in check. And that's what happened. Just beautiful work. Mods aren't celebs here. They are transparent and fair from what I've seen. If this keeps up, Resetera will be better than the other forum ever could have hoped to become. Hell, I think it's already there. Distilled peak-GAF.

Mods are volunteers and can leave a site whenever they want. If they choose to stay and uphold their responsibility to keep the forum neat and tidy, I don't hold them complicit for a bunch of bullshit that happened IN REAL LIFE.

Like I've been banned by some of the mods who post here now as regular members. You know what I say to them? Hey. You know what they owe me? Nothing. We're just posting on a message board.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As the one who took the lead on getting communities migrated over, it was an insane prospect. I spent most of the days prior to the release of codes talking to any community that was looking for answers, trying to ease fears and rampant speculation in the wake of any actual news.

The real heroes are the communities who tirelessly verified dozens or even hundreds of users (looking at you SteamEra) so we could try and contain leaks as much as possible, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the community reps all gathered in a discord server who served as our contact with each community.

Tech had a great idea to use codes with a limited timer so if a code did leaked, there was only a risk of a few bad apples getting through.

All in all, it was a community-lead effort from top to bottom, and we wouldn't have been able to be half as successful in getting launched if not for them. I will always be eternally grateful to every member of this community for their help during the migration, even if it was a small part. Together, we did something amazing, succeeded in ways none of us ever imagined, and have created a home for all of us for hopefully years to come.
This is what the community rep discord felt like :P
06.jpg

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mods are volunteers and can leave a site whenever they want. If they choose to stay and uphold their responsibility to keep the forum neat and tidy, I don't hold them complicit for a bunch of bullshit that happened IN REAL LIFE.

Like I've been banned by some of the mods who post here now as regular members. You know what I say to them? Hey. You know what they owe me? Nothing. We're just posting on a message board.

Regardless, if someone is controversial, it's best to leave them off the roster so we can move forward and heal as a community. Don't you agree?

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Regardless, if someone is controversial, it's best to leave them off the roster so we can move forward and heal as a community. Don't you agree?

I suppose, but I seriously doubt the administrators chose mods on the basis of whether they were or weren't former Neogaf mods. I say this as someone who was chosen to mod at another site (Teamxbox). Sometimes it's just a group of close posters. Sometimes it's the best posters. Sometimes it's a bunch of no names who just happened to say yes when the admin was asking.

I don't take issue with your idea of a fresh start. What I take issue with is the singular idea that someone said "Hey, don't let the Neogaf mods run this place." They're all just people, leading separate lives on separate parts of the country or world. If they happened to ban people for this or that over the years, that has nothing to do with the unrest or inception behind this forum, none at all.

I'd imagine that if you put them all here from bish to Stump and everyone in between, they'd all agree that the community made the other site, and not the moderator personalities you seem so fixated on.

Please let it go, for all of us.

Last edited:

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it was it was damn impressive and those involved I am so grateful. This place is great and feels more like home than the last place ever did. If I could I would buy you all a beer or 2.

m o n s t e r

Oct 25, 2017
under your bed
When you have a group of people working around the clock for days, to set up a site and a group of tight-knit communities seeking a new home, things tend to move rather quickly. :)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think there's really a need to talk about other mods here. As you say, this is a fresh start and our approach to running the forum is our own.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The honest answer is: Put 200 people with the same goal in a room at once and shit happens quick.
Yep. 100k people managed to beat Pokemon Red on Twitch simultaneously, so the creation of a new forum was inevitable.

What I would like to see is ResetEra being made by thousands of people at the same time. We could call it Twitch Makes ResetEra.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Congrats and thanks to everyone who sparked the idea and made it come true.

This site's come so far in such a short time.

It's an amazing accomplishment.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think there's really a need to talk about other mods here. As you say, this is a fresh start and our approach to running the forum is our own.

Yep. It's why I refuse to name names. I just refer to the last place as 'the old site.' It's truly hardly worth talking about nowadays. Thanks, again.