• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferny

FutureERA
Oct 23, 2017
Lack of sleep.
A fantastic team.
A unified goal.

All three of those things, when put together, can do amazing things. This really was a team effort and it's just the beginning. A new ERA - so to speak :)

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we still don't really know who the three people are that own this place? Will this information be shared? Who and how is this being paid for?
Imo these questions are important, especially regarding transparency.

My only fear is that the community moved from one place, more or less because of its moral compass, to land in another thats secretly funded by...EA or the like.

This is a fair point and something I hope the admins take seriously. A lot of progress has been made in the area of transparency, especially with forum moderation. It would be a shame to have things go off the rails after so much hard work has been done. If anything needs to be disclosed, the time to do it is now, not after an "incident" causes information to leak.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly realistic to expect them to divulge financial info here when the site is heavily watched and several communities are doxxing or trying to dox the members.

OP
OP
Speevy

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It's not exactly realistic to expect them to divulge financial info here when the site is heavily watched and several communities are doxxing or trying to dox the members.

Well, no, but after reading this topic is apparent to me that this forum was created with a great amount of goodwill toward the better nature of the community, rather than simply based on the bad will accumulated from the other place.

I'm more curious about the money side of things not because I care who has paid money for this place, but that I want it to exist in 10 years just as the other place did/does. I think that is a reasonable, albeit intrusive and indelicate question.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Whatever the reasons were for the site to go up so quickly, I'm still very grateful for it. I remember being absolutely devastated when the scandal began and the community started falling apart. I've been posting on GAF for two and a half years and have been lurking around and reading it for five years, so it was really sad to see this happening.

I was really hoping some former Gaffers would start a new site and the community would reunite there, and that's exactly what happened! And pretty quickly to boot too! Also the fact that this site has added so many new and more modern features make me very happy. The quote notifications in particular. It's something I've always wished GAF had, and I remember Evilore promising that it would return at some point in the future, but alas........Needless to say, I couldn't be more happier and relieved with the way things turned out. :p

element

Oct 27, 2017
Hats off to the team.

But smart people, with a little money to spend on pre-built software can get a lot done VERY quick.

Spaceking

Oct 27, 2017

I was waiting for this.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
It's like how all the right people were there drafting the declaration of independence. Imagine if Thomas Jefferson was born in another century.

Oct 27, 2017
Love all the work that has been put in here, thanks to everyone involved. It's bizarre how much a forum could mean to me, and trying to hop around and find a new place to find news without all of the gross baggage that comes with the internet was really eye opening.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
You know who the admins are... do you really need to know their real names or something?

I'd remind you this place is targeted by just about all the worst places on the internet.
No, I don't need real names of the admins. I haven't seen it stated that the admins are members of the LLC. Have you? I want to know who owns the board. Admins don't equal owners.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I wanna know is who the heck made Nugaf? I signed up, made one thread, and then the site got wiped off in like half a day lol.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
All I can say is that it was amazing to see it happen on Discord. Also I was super lucky to get in: I managed to get in the big discord AFTER all the mess happened without any actual proof that I was a gaffer (until the site went up again). I also felt super welcomed just like I do now.

Amazing.

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't need real names of the admins. I haven't seen it stated that the admins are members of the LLC. Have you? I want to know who owns the board. Admins don't equal owners.

Yeah. I'm probably more interested in hearing about the organisation structures so that something like what happened doesn't happen again. So I guess rules on how major decisions are made and how members of the LLC can be kicked (or new members are added). Also things like how moderation policies are developed and managed as well as checks and balances for mods or admins who exceed the established policies.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah. I'm probably more interested in hearing about the organisation structures so that something like what happened doesn't happen again. So I guess rules on how major decisions are made and how members of the LLC can be kicked (or new members are added). Also things like how moderation policies are developed and managed as well as checks and balances for mods or admins who exceed the established policies.

We won't have answers on these things until we consult with legal counsel. I can assure you that from the top of the team down to the bottom our love for this community is alive. Rather than rest on our laurels of a successful launch, we already rolled out a UI change today (if you hadn't noticed), we're continuing to spend long hours approving accounts, and we're beginning to lay the ground work for more awesome things in the future. We will aim to be as transparent as possible every step of the way. As always, if you have any questions, don't bestitate to ask, and I will do my best to provide a clear answer for you.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's hard to believe that we only started working on this project from the 21st of October.

An amazing group of people came together to build this place from scratch with full support from the community.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
This is very level headed, and not overexposing anyone. I am interested in these we as well.
We won't have answers on these things until we consult with legal counsel. I can assure you that from the top of the team down to the bottom our love for this community is alive. Rather than rest on our laurels of a successful launch, we already rolled out a UI change today (if you hadn't noticed), we're continuing to spend long hours approving accounts, and we're beginning to lay the ground work for more awesome things in the future. We will aim to be as transparent as possible every step of the way. As always, if you have any questions, don't bestitate to ask, and I will do my best to provide a clear answer for you.
Thank you so much and yes I noticed the changes. Amazing with and congrats to everyone.

I look forward to more details about the forum structure and policies in the future.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds good. Thanks for this update and for all the work everyone is doing.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
As an organized group nothing is impossible, I say we go after curing diseases next.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Everyone in it together, from the fanstatic admin team to the long time members. When the raft was ready, everyone just hold hands and jumped on ship.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
It is really amazing that a week ago this place didn't exist at all and now everyone has settled into their old communities as if nothing had happened. Let's all congratulate the true unsung hero of this tale: Discord Inc. for making an excellent piece of software. If it wasn't for everyone fleeing into Discord, this might not have worked at all.

Though I am curious about the financial future of the site. With such a huge influx of users and activity, how are costs and servers going to be maintained? There are currently no ads, but I suppose they will come in the future. I don't want to wake up one day and I see a post saying, "Welps we're broke now, bye everyone."

John Marston

Oct 27, 2017
It true, if it happens few years earlier without Discord, organization process would be difficult.

Haven't used discord yet and know very little about it, but the name is really funny when you consider that it was used to amazingly and efficiently organize the development of and migration to this forum.

ratrosaw

Oct 23, 2017
Well, on the tech side it takes a few cores, many gigs of memory, a solid foundation of network infrastructure, and a lot of trade offs and optimizations. Do you know that we were processing more than 150K packets/s during peak hours of the launch day?

But the tech part is the easy part. The magic sauce is the community.

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NeoGAF always seemed like THE place to talk about video games than anything else.

Then *that* happened.

Then we pulled others in to retain whatever bonds that existed.

That was the moment we revealed ourselves that we are a community.