• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4chan making fun of NeoGAF years ago. Decided to sign up for GAF, then left with everyone else when Reset was created.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped in on the Wrassle-GAF discord while you know what was happening and migrated here with the rest following that.

Shout out to Serene for being super helpful and informative throughout the whole transitioning process, that deserves mad props, and of course for all the WrassleERA folks who made an up to then lurker feel at home.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Came from GAF via Discord.

As to how I found GAF it was back in like 2009 or early 2010, someone on another forum I was on at the time posted some Gaming topic which had some ridiculous posts in it(what gaming side topics don't amirite). I don't remember the actual topic of the thread, but I decided to join to make fun of whatever these people were posting in the thread. Little did I know that unlike many forums, which you could register and post immediately, GAF had a several months long activation process. I forgot about that thread and GAF in general, until one day months later I got the email that my account had been approved. With that thread gone from my memory my original intention to just troll the forum turned into becoming a regular member here.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I browsed gaf because it was mentioned on 1Up podcasts all the time back in the day, so 2006/2007. Didn't become a member there until a few years later after I had a valid email to use. Gaf imploded, and I came here immediately.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I found an old scroll and followed the directions.

If ERA you wish to find, first you must follow several signs

A waterfall will herald doom, downfall writ large upon the loom

A meeting hall will tear and crumble, a work unseemly, erred and fumbled

Riots break out in the streets as thousands vote with frenzied feet

Clandestine meetings shall afford a chance for unity amid discord

Then hark and seek a violet hue! For that shall now be home to you

Last edited:

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Searching "Neogaf replacement forum" on Google and hitting refresh a couple times until news of the current site was available via that Kotaku article

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was never a member of GAF, but I sure did know about the exodus, as it was the talk of essentially all gaming forums. I was curious and thus I ended up creating a ResetEra account.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I clutched on to a retro GAF discord and sailed through to here, which is funny because most of retroGAF started their own forum now(RGB retro game board)

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I was here for day 1 of the great migration.

Prior to that I had been on GAF for a decade.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I first discovered GAF around the end of 2010ish.
I started reading it more and more.
I finally registered and joined in 2012.

In October 2017 GAF went offline and I thought that was it.

I was genuinely bummed when thinking the community and discussions could be gone forever. GAF came back a few days later and I was invited into a discord group.

I then joined ResetERA during one of the Mass Exodus waves, when people in the discord chat could signup.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
No one seems to be answering your second question so I'll give that a go.

Here are my, what I assume will be, unpopular opinions, but it's how I feel.

Came from Gaf. Don't post or lurk as much here as I did on Gaf. Honestly I find it to be more aggravating and rage inducing to browse Reset than it ever was at Gaf, and it's just not as enjoyable for some reason. I lived and breathed Gaf and was very excited about this new forum, but I can only lurk and engage here in very limited spurts before I've hit my limit.

I think part of it for me has been the moderation philosophy, which I think sounds good on paper, but not so much in practice. I feel like so many threads gets derailed right off the bat by troll attempts and people arguing in bad faith, but they remain a presence in the thread for so long before action is taken that the conversation can't be salvaged anymore. Obviously mods can only move as quick as they can, but so often I see that when the ban does come it's a 2-3 day thing. For better or worse, I feel like bans somehow came quicker and were more severe on GAF, and that helped keep things in line, especially with such a massive community.

But there obviously ain't no going back to Gaf, so I browse and participate here occasionally and that works for me.

Oct 26, 2017
1200x630bb.jpg

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been here from the first day it opened. So, I bet you can figure out how I found out about it.

Oct 26, 2017
I found an old scroll and followed the directions.

If ERA you wish to find, first you must follow several signs

A waterfall will herald doom, downfall write large upon the loom

A meeting hall will tear and crumble, a work unseemly, erred and fumbled

Riots break out in the streets as thousands vote with frenzied feet

Clandestine meetings shall afford a chance for unity amid discord

Then hark and seek a violet hue! For that shall now be home to you
Hey that's pretty good!

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
I believe that it was during the Dark Knight's viral marketing, at the ComicCon reveal of that one Joker pic of him holding the knife to Rachel, GAF had the pic up first I think, and a lot of activity there, a lot, so I started going there. Amazing and unbelievable how that site imploded. Then those days that followed were hell trying to find a new community and information, and I eagerly followed the plans for our Great Migration.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I honestly forget how I found GAF, and I was on a discord with founding members of this place while it was being made and invites were going out

But I was busy during the invites so I had to wait for a real account saklfjlsdkgjsdg

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I followed the eggplant

Joking aside I joined the old site around the console reveals in the beginning of 2013. Got into a Discord when the site imploded.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was a lurker on gaf.
My account got posting privilege only after the implosion lol.
Yeah, it seems like after the migration and GAF went back up they ditched the vetting process (at least for that moment) and approved all the waiting people to make it seem like the implosion didn't affect the user base. Between that and what's allowed now GAF is so trash I won't even just look to see anymore. Last time I did there was a "the truth about gamer gate" thread and I noped our and have not looked at it since.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the distant past I was on GameFAQS (how long ago? Way before LUE was locked, if that gives you an idea).

Started lurking NeoGAF in 2011, became a member in 2015 (I didn't have to wait that long, I just didn't think to try until 2015). Moved here after the implosion.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Came over from GAF. Lost access to the email account I used to register for GAF, forgot my GAF password and lost access to my account completely as a result. Decided to migrate over to Era once all that shit went down.

Don't regret it one bit. It's a shithole now, and EviLore has clearly learned nothing.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
Went to Gaf after it kept being mentioned as a source of info in Eurogamer articles.
Lurked for years before getting an account approved, then moved here asap

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Jumped in on the Wrassle-GAF discord while you know what was happening and migrated here with the rest following that.

Shout out to Serene for being super helpful and informative throughout the whole transitioning process, that deserves mad props, and of course for all the WrassleERA folks who made an up to then lurker feel at home.
Ditto on that. Serene pulled through for us WrassleDorks. A lot of us were able to join day 1, or at least within the first few days, thanks to the extremely well organized WrassleGAF Discord channel.

Garmonbozia

Oct 27, 2017
Found out about Gaf through that GT video doc, lurked for a couple of years and got an account on 2016. Followed the rest here when that went up in flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.