• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I was on GAF. wasn't in the in-crowd enough to revive a discord invite, but followed the Exodus to this place .

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember how I found GAF. But I always preferred reading forums over something like Reddit where the conversation isn't shown chronologically. Even when you select the option to sort by oldest or newest comments first. So whenever I found GAF, I enjoyed reading it because it was in a format I was used to. I never posted in GAF though. I only used my account to watch threads.

Moved over when ERA was open.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
like most here came via the Gaf exodus; shout out to the Destiny ERA Discord for housing a dreat deal of us until ResetEra was up and running.

I think my Forum lifespan goes like this:

Crunchyroll->IGN->Gametrailers->VGchartz->Neogaf->ResetEra

still lurk on my previous sites except GT since it doesn't exist anymore.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I went to gaf originally because a group of people kept complaining about the moderation, so I went to see how 'bad' it was. Turns out, I really liked the curation versus the bullshit so many other places try to champion against.

If Era hadn't picked up the ball I'd probably only be on fairly enforced subreddits.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Joined NeoGaf in ... ~2009, or somewhere around the launch of RDR, because that was the first thread I got my posting priviledges in it, the RDR | OT | Whistling Morricone Through the Desert or whatever it was called. That thread is fairly burned into my mind.

I knew about NeoGaf from the gaming community in general... Was active on sites that regularly talked about it... GenMay, an Xbox site, and my old cabal of sports gaming sites, also knew about it from the passive mentions on Joystiq and other videogame blogs.

I've been a member of videogame forums/bbs going back to the early 1990s... My first videogame forum being the Prodigy Internet BBS "Videogames" group. From there, I was big into a forum called Dexcussion which was supported by Interact, a company that made a game save device called The Dex Drive (which was later bought by whoever owned GameShark). After GameShark bought Interact, I hung around those forums, moderated them for a while, but split off to other communities, before settling into some sports gaming communities in the late 90s, early 2000s with other Dexcussion folks. I ended up running a lot of those communities a few years later.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Can we please PLEASE stop calling it "the other site". Saying Gaf isn't going to result in a demonic summoning. Anyway yes I also migrated frpm Gaf.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Points to the site name

That came, when we were first discussing a new site on the discord, from someone suggesting The Reset as a name.

I know because I was that someone.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
In 2011 I got into Portal 2 for the first time. Then I came across the Two Best Friends Play Portal 2 episode on Machinima. After that I became a regular subscriber to their main channel. They'd often mention GAF in their videos, and I learned they had accounts. At the time I was interested in becoming an indie developer, so I thought it'd be useful to read what people in the industry had to say, so I signed up. Several years later, GAF burns to the ground and I hear some people met back up on an offshoot forum called SL&ENT. And it was there that I and other GAF exiles heard news of ResetEra.

So now I'm here.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was a member of neogaf since 2013, after neogaf exploded and went alt right I joined resetera immediately went anyone could join

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think I've shared my own personal story on this yet:

I was traveling, on the road, when everything went down. I went to sleep on that Friday not knowing what was going to happen in the future. Saturday, I woke up and checked a few communities to find news of a migration discord and an initiative to build a new website. By that point in time, the migration discord had been locked down. I was able to secure an invitation from another member of the community who I knew. It turns out that they were already helping with the initiative. After a brief look around, I noticed there was a call for volunteers, so I reached out to Cerium to offer my assistance in the technical areas. We had a brief conversation, and I joined the project. Quickly realizing that my technical skills weren't suited for what was required, I suggested that we start communicating with people who were desperate for information about the project's current status. Long story short, I ended up the defacto communicator to the community about what was going on, the leader/planner/architect of the actual migration aspect, and became administrator + community manager when ResetEra officially launched.

And they were timed too! Like, HERE IS YOUR FIVE-MINUTE WINDOW, [INSERT COMMUNITY HERE], JOIN JOIN JOIN! Crazy.

It was just as crazy behind the scenes. There was a lot of last minute planning and panic over whether or not it would even work. We used timed codes to prevent unsavory people from creating multiple accounts. Of course, some still got through, but overall the objective of the timed codes succeeded.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Was on GAF, got in touch on the discord to transition, seemingly missed my shot due to work but got approved here blindingly fast anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've shared my own personal story on this yet:

I was traveling, on the road, when everything went down. I went to sleep on that Friday not knowing what was going to happen in the future. Saturday, I woke up and checked a few communities to find news of a migration discord and an initiative to build a new website. By that point in time, the migration discord had been locked down. I was able to secure an invitation from another member of the community who I knew. It turns out that they were already helping with the initiative. After a brief look around, I noticed there was a call for volunteers, so I reached out to Cerium to offer my assistance in the technical areas. We had a brief conversation, and I joined the project. Quickly realizing that my technical skills weren't suited for what was required, I suggested that we start communicating with people who were desperate for information about the project's current status. Long story short, I ended up the defacto communicator to the community about what was going on, the leader/planner/architect of the actual migration aspect, and became administrator + community manager when ResetEra officially launched.

It was just as crazy behind the scenes. There was a lot of last minute planning and panic over whether or not it would even work. We used timed codes to prevent unsavory people from creating multiple accounts. Of course, some still got through, but overall the objective of the timed codes succeeded.

Hey just wanna thank you for your work during the migration (as well as beyond). Really felt quite effortless to follow what was happening on the Discord in large part due to you informing the rest of us about what was going on. Appreciated!

Courier 7

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
GAF death -> Fled to SLAENT to find GAF refugees -> Discovered the Discord -> ERA, one of final invite waves

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Came from Gaf like most people here. Wonder how long before a sizeable chunk of people here weren't from Gaf first...though its still been less than a year.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shockingly, I joined as part of the mass exodus from GAF. I followed the updates on this site from Discord, and joined during one of those 10-minute code windows.

As for how I originally found GAF, I don't remember. It was either from a link on GameFAQs or from Kotaku sourcing them one too many times. I lurked there for a couple years before I joined.

Last edited:

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A good friend and I abso-frickin'-lutely love KI: Uprising. Compared to its reception from the gaming press--which wasn't horrible by any means--we felt like outliers, the only two people in the world who truly grasped the majesty that Sakurai had created.
Well one day my friend directed me towards a thread on some forum I never heard of, filled with posts by like-minded, awakened people who shared our enthusiasm. I registered to the site immediately, anxious to converse with the numerous other enlightened gamers (and was finally able to contribute ~9 months after the game dropped ;p).

To this day, that OT is still one of my favorite gaming threads.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Came from Gaf. It's more or less the same for me. Though it a bummer that the search function doesn't have deeper archives to dig into (yet) on Gaf anytime I became interested in anything I could find several topics about it.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I was away from GAF for a while and when I came back I noticed there was nobody there. I had no idea what happened but quickly found out in threads. At that time I didn't see anything about ERA so I just stopped going to GAF. Then I was reading about the whole fiasco on some other site and it mentioned ERA and I signed up. There were some great community threads on GAF and I was happy to see them migrate here.

OP
OP
HOTSPUR

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
I was away one weekend and came back to find the lands of old on fire, I soon found myself in one of the many discords and then fled here during the great migration.

This was pretty much my experience, although I was extremely pissed about people who had never caused a stir there previously getting banned cause they wanted to know what was going on

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
My ex always talked about GAF when we got together didn't have an account but liked to read on it. I eventually did the same up until the exodus.

When I found out Era was launching I swore I'd get an account and post along with everyone else that I had been lurking on for almost 2 years.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I lurked the old place for a couple of years. Discussions and insights were always so interesting but I never signed up because I rarely post anyway. When the migration happened I followed and saw that the idea of starting fresh and resetting was a good opportunity for me to sign up as well. Glad I did!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The #ChangetheChannel controversy was how I found it.

Though technically I'm an EscapistMagazine refugee as I decided to join because the Escapist had become way to toxic to even lurk .

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to finally join the DMC Discord in order to keep in touch with folks after evillore's tantrum. The conversation almost immediately turned to Resetera migration and I just took it in stride. I prefer forums to chat, so if any of you DMC guys are reading this; that's why I'm barely there now.

-mad

Jun 11, 2018
i knew neogaf before, and I joined the site right before the collapse. I decided to make an account here recently, and so far it's been worth it

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The CW-fandom was kind enough to alert me about the move. Luckily they did because I managed to miss the entire drama due to being out of the country.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
GAF -> CFB Discord -> Era

Before that..... Xbox Forums -> GameSpot forums -> GAF.

I'd say the GS forums were/are the worst forums I've posted in during my e-career (PG13 rules) , with GAF (and the terrible mod policy) a very close second.

Era is solid, with a much improved moderation policy.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GAF always seemed like some weird sorta mythological site you could go on to discuss games and other nerdy interests with people who knew what they were talking about when I was younger.

I finally joined in like 2015 after lurking for a year (and discovering that wasn't necessarily the case lol) and enjoyed it. I was online with the college football community last October discussing the games going on that day when the shit started to hit the fan. I grabbed a few discord invites before things went dark, and through there, made my way here.

Status
Not open for further replies.