• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had joined Gaf like 5 months before the implosion after lurking for years, ended up getting into the main Discord and working with the mods to help manually hand out like 1000+ invites for the Discord to people that had migrated over to the waypoint forums, was a crazy week lol.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Joined gaf the summer before everything happened, but I had been browsing it for years. Moved to discord and then resetera through the DC/CW TV community.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Always wanted to be a member of the other site (GAF), but my request got denied for some reason (not having the right email probably). And it wouldn't let me try to sign up again. So I lurked—for years!

I was in the shadows when the drama went down and I managed to get into the first Discord server because I followed some members on Twitter and one of them posted it. Still feel lucky to be here after wanting to belong to the other place for almost a decade lol

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, the bigger question is, how many of us joined ResetERA without ever having a GAF account? I moved from VGChartz instead of NeoGAF.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Like most, I was there when the GAFmageddon happened. I had some doubts about Resetera at first, but after seeing how professionally it was being handled, I joined when it went live.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I was at the old place for a long time. Then came the implosion. Got on discord, but everything happened around midterms so missed both chances to sign up through the discord groups I was in. Eventually made my way, though.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Got here during the Great Migration of 17.

But lurked gaf for like a year in 2013 during the PS4 megatons. Then I got an account in 2015 I think lol

Dunfisch

Oct 25, 2017
Exodus and the fact that most of the community from games I played made the jump... as well as the spirit of GAF, so to say. Hasn't been the same over there ever since.

There hasn't been much change in regards to my posting behaviour tho, still just the odd post now and then. Mostly waiting for certain things so I can OT when the time comes.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I started on the IGN boards around 1998 or 1999, been through every incarnation ever since. It's not the first time the forum has imploded and been reborn.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MtZ9N.gif

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GAF died then I stayed in all the discords trying to figure out where to go. Love the community we have here.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I found an old scroll and followed the directions.

If ERA you wish to find, first you must follow several signs

A waterfall will herald doom, downfall writ large upon the loom

A meeting hall will tear and crumble, a work unseemly, erred and fumbled

Riots break out in the streets as thousands vote with frenzied feet

Clandestine meetings shall afford a chance for unity amid discord

Then hark and seek a violet hue! For that shall now be home to you
that's similar to the hieroglyphics i found to become a moderator

"To overcome the spider's curse, simply quote a bible verse!"

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Literally tried to join gaf during the sexual assault stuff and saw that resetera was becoming a thing and that seemed more badass

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Browsed GAF since I was 12 (2005), joined and posted a lot when i turned 17 (2010). Naturally I moved over with a lot of the community I talked with.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Also props to users still in the old place fighting Trump supporters, racism and bigotry.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
We shouldn't police anyone for saying "the other place" or some variation. I've said it a few times and didn't mean anything by it. Don't think it's that serious. But GAF is quicker lol.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I was told about SLAENT by a friend. I heard that lot of people were going there while everything was going down. I then spent a few days there waiting to see what was happening with this place, a few days later I managed to sign up, and the rest is history.

I only lurked before.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Came here from Gaf. Bit reluctantly at first to be honest. Despite all the crap that went on, that was a forum I browsed pretty much daily for 10 years.

Now I browse here daily. Doesn't feel a whole lot different. Not as many funny threads or random bs, but that's okay.

Dec 4, 2017
London
I lurked on Gaf for a few years. Finally registered to join so I could participate. Several months went by without a peep. Forum imploded. Upon which my membership was finally granted. Thought fuck that and followed where all the decent sorts seemed to be headed.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
After GAF exodus.... I didn't join any forum... Just this month I found out people had migrate here. So here I am and I didn't even remember my old username so create a new one LOL

PS: Time to update my userscript for this forum

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I discovered GAF around 2011 when I googled to try to find information on Tri-Ace's next project. Led me to a thread where duckroll was trolling everyone about Tri-Ace being dead lol.

Lurked, but never signed up for a while. Joined some other smaller community for a couple of years. Eventually signed up for GAF in 2013 when I realized that discussion topics were never as active as I wanted them to be on the smaller site. Was approved pretty quickly, within a month or so if I remember right.

Then of course I came here during the Great Happening. Got in contact with someone handling Discord invites over on the Waypoint forums and managed get in there while GAF was still down for those 3 days or whatever. Waypoint seemed like a pretty chill place to hang my hat and I considered just moving there (this was before we knew a replacement forum was being made), but the community rule against sales discussion on Waypoint forums made me realize it probably wasn't going to be a suitable replacement. So I'm glad ResetEra is here and the transition felt so seamless.

Last edited:

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Chalk up another one for the exodus. Came over in the PC ERA discord.

So far I like Reset better than Gaf. It does seem friendlier even if certain topics can get really heated at times

Plainswalker

Apr 14, 2018
Canada
I lurked at the other forum for something like 11 or 12 years, had an account with a different name for I think 6 or 7 but only just made it out of junior status the year things imploded. I didn't know about the exodus until after it happened (I had seen the buildup a couple days before but missed the big event, so to speak), but account suicided when I knew what happened, and stopped over at SLAENT for a couple weeks but didn't really do much after that. Eventually I got bored not having anywhere to lurk so I made my way over here and that's where we are now.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
came over from neogaf in october last year.

edit: i had stealth-joined some of the discords and i think it was through the nfl one that i eventually made it in through. i remember i was about to board an international flight and i had precious little battery life left on my phone, so it was a race against the clock and then a small issue with my email prior to joining. it's the same email i used to join the gaming-age forums in 2002.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i googled "cool place for hot dogs"

the first result was sheetz

the second result was resetera

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Reading Gaf during college inspired me to pursue game development. But a few years before the exodus, I'd abandoned my account because Gaf had become quite hostile towards developers.
Found out about Era through Facebook, and I've been really happy with the level of discourse here. Big cheers to the moderation crew and the members.

Status
Not open for further replies.