• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe ask her what she likes or respects about Trump or the Republicans, why she feels they represent her better than the Democrats and what changes for the better she thinks they would make?

From my perspective as a cis het white guy with the privilege to vote based on my ideas about how society should be run rather than immediate self preservation...I can understand that's an attractive privilege. So even though I vote D primarily to help protect minorities, I can understand how it could be frustrating for minorities to be told "no, you can't make a choice like cis (or white, etc.) people do, you have to vote based on your identity."

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I recommend everyone talk politics with their friends, at least you know what type of person you are dealing with.

Stop befriending terfs and racists.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
If you care about her you should absolutely not cut her of your life. Try to stay by her side, counterargument the bullshit she will say, and when the conservative community treats her like shit be there for her. There isn't much you can do on the short run, but you might have an impact in the long run if you do stay with her.
I feel like this view is naive. Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to cut people out of your life for your own mental health. Did it occur to you that the other person may just be keeping the relationship going using the same logic that just maybe they can convince the other person someday to be transphobic? They see their view as right and only if the other person moves their way will they ever see progress made.

Sometimes two people are just never going to be on the same page. I would say, sure, put up a fight for a bit if you care for the person. But if you can see their views are not changing, and they remain a bigot, at some point you have to move on.

I would make this argument for family even, but, especially friends.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, no, but I keep reminding myself that these beliefs of hers are still very new and they can change. We don't talk about politics a whole lot anyway, and it just peeks its way into our conversations every once in a while.
Are you actually sure the views are new? If you don't talk politics with her often, they could've just been lurking there, and now she just feels particularly emboldened to talk about them because the dems having power is pissing her off.

There are relatively small pockets of the trans community who are Conservative (more so among white trans women). If she's surrounded herself with a crowd like this, it may be damn hard to penetrate inside that bubble. Not sure you can hold out much hope for them in this circumstance, tbh. I've had to cut other trans friends out of my life for their reprehensible, intractable views. (A few of them have actively tried to harm me.)

Best of luck to you. Just remember that no one can change her mind except herself.
Ye-up, this is my experience with that bubble minus the active attempts to harm. Also, yeah, there's a white side to it with a dash of racism dashed in (Trump saying things like "look at Saudi Arabia, we're so much better to LGBT than them" really tickles them).

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Are you actually sure the views are new? If you don't talk politics with her often, they could've just been lurking there, and now she just feels particularly emboldened to talk about them because the dems having power is pissing her off.

Yeah, because a year ago she actually supported this and didn't try to say the stuff about "only two genders" and all of the anti-nonbinary stuff. Not sure about other political views in general, but she definitely moved right on the LGBT front.

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like your friend is kind of an asshole, no offense

Guess if depends if you think you can break through to them or not. if they're this far gone, seems unlikely

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, because a year ago she actually supported this and didn't try to say the stuff about "only two genders" and all of the anti-nonbinary stuff. Not sure about other political views in general, but she definitely moved right on the LGBT front.
What's 'this' in this context? Regardless, if you weren't sure of her other political views, she could've been intractably conservative/Republican all along, and that's the root of what caused her change in other beliefs. AKA if you're conservative you're gonna be watching certain youtube videos that feed your bias, which will in turn introduce new horrible concepts. The direct cause is the rabbit hole, but if that rabbit hole is anchored by "I'm a Trans Republican, because Republicans are just fine" bullshit, then I really doubt you'll get through to her. If she changes, it'll have to be through self-reflection, imo.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
What's 'this' in this context? Regardless, if you weren't sure of her other political views, she could've been intractably conservative/Republican all along, and that's the root of what caused her change in other beliefs. AKA if you're conservative you're gonna be watching certain youtube videos that feed your bias, which will in turn introduce new horrible concepts. The direct cause is the rabbit hole, but if that rabbit hole is anchored by "I'm a Trans Republican, because Republicans are just fine" bullshit, then I really doubt you'll get through to her. If she changes, it'll have to be through self-reflection, imo.

By "this" I meant the stuff I was referring to in the OP like what it means to be pansexual and non-binary. And that does make sense for me, because it certainly looks like she's been in some sort of rabbit hole the past year.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
If you figure it out, let us know. Not sure how to persuade someone that far removed from reality.

the only viable option I've heard of is to give up on direct confrontation and try to suggest positive things to replace her feed of rabbithole garbage with. Stop trying to convince her and distract her with LGBTQ+ positive content that will *hopefully* shift her thinking and simultaneously her algorithm output.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
She does, but I have a feeling that the people she's around might have similar beliefs. She cut a whole lot of people out of her life last year when she criticized non-binary genders on her Twitter account. It's just a whole mess.

You aren't making a good case on wanting to keep her around as a friend to be quite honest here. All the hassle and energy should be spent else where, someone more deserving of your friendship.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, no, but I keep reminding myself that these beliefs of hers are still very new and they can change. We don't talk about politics a whole lot anyway, and it just peeks its way into our conversations every once in a while.

Have you asked her why she has become anti-nonbinary?

I understand your dilemma when caring about someone who has intolerant views. I'm struggling with it right now.

While she isn't a white supremacist, I think this guide on Life After Hate might help you:https://www.lifeafterhate.org/resou...hen-a-loved-one-sides-with-white-supremacists

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Have you asked her why she has become anti-nonbinary?

I understand your dilemma when caring about someone who has intolerant views. I'm struggling with it right now.

While she isn't a white supremacist, I think this guide on Life After Hate might help you:https://www.lifeafterhate.org/resou...hen-a-loved-one-sides-with-white-supremacists

She isn't anti-nonbinary as a whole, but she says things she sees on Twitter like neopronouns and xenogenders "invalidate" her by making her existence the subject of jokes or something. None of it really makes sense to me. I'll check out that guide, thank you.

soda mixer

Jul 4, 2018
I seriously don't mean to be shitty, but is "truscum" a meaningful word in the title or is it a typo?

Regardless, has your friend expressed views on the Republican Party's stances on non-lgbtq issues? Like if she doesn't regard them as transphobic, does she also regard them as non-racist despite the positions on BLM and immigration?

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I seriously don't mean to be shitty, but is "truscum" a meaningful word in the title or is it a typo?

Regardless, has your friend expressed views on the Republican Party's stances on non-lgbtq issues? Like if she doesn't regard them as transphobic, does she also regard them as non-racist despite the positions on BLM and immigration?

Regarding the "truscum" thing, it was something I noticed in her bio that she intentionally highlighted about herself so I thought it was appropriate; I'm not 100% sure what it means, however. We haven't really talked about politics that much apart from the LGBT stuff, but I do suspect that she would say similar responses about BLM and immigration based on her responses to the things we've talked about.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the "truscum" thing, it was something I noticed in her bio that she intentionally highlighted about herself so I thought it was appropriate; I'm not 100% sure what it means, however. We haven't really talked about politics that much apart from the LGBT stuff, but I do suspect that she would say similar responses about BLM and immigration based on her responses to the things we've talked about.

truscum are basically trans people who believe that anyone that hasn't experienced gender dysphoria are not trans, generally anti-non binary, which makes the thread title somewhat redundant, but self-identifying that way is...

GameBuddy

Oct 27, 2017
Hellabama
"Truscum" is another word for a transmedicalist which is someone who believes you are not truly a trans person unless you experience and/or are diagnosed with gender dysphoria and/or have gender confirmation, or as they may insist on calling it, sexual reassignment surgery.

It's popular amongst the right leaning LGBT+ crowd and TERFs (trans exclusionary radical feminists) because it's essentially a "no true Scotsman" argument that is often used to argue that trans people are just confused and insists that being trans is a mental disorder that must make you miserable in some way unless you go to a doctor to be "properly" diagnosed and eventually get surgery.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Thanks for the explanation about the "truscum" thing- that cleared it up for me, but it's weird that she highlighted it in her bio. I think she removed it at one point.

Have them attend CPAC?

Yikes, that would be harsh but she would probably see what I mean.

soda mixer

Jul 4, 2018
truscum are basically trans people who believe that anyone that hasn't experienced gender dysphoria are not trans, generally anti-non binary, which makes the thread title somewhat redundant, but self-identifying that way is...
"Truscum" is another word for a transmedicalist which is someone who believes you are not truly a trans person unless you experience and/or are diagnosed with gender dysphoria and/or have gender confirmation, or as they may insist on calling it, sexual reassignment surgery.

It's popular amongst the right leaning LGBT+ crowd and TERFs (trans exclusionary radical feminists) because it's essentially a "no true Scotsman" argument that is often used to argue that trans people are just confused and insists that being trans is a mental disorder that must make you miserable in some way unless you go to a doctor to be "properly" diagnosed and eventually get surgery.

Thanks for the replies/knowledge!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Honestly, we don't do a lot of political talk in general, but I was saying how Republicans were going to filibuster the Equality Act and she was acting like they must have had some other reason to oppose it.

This has come up three times in your replies and I think it's something that may need pursuing. In particular "must" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there. "Must" why? Because she feels Republicans can't all be that transphobic?

Try to make her realize the onus is on Republicans (or anyone else defending them) to state a reason to oppose it other than transphobia, and that failure to even explore what that reason could be is equivalent to knowingly dismissing smoking gun evidence simply because it doesn't conform to her prior beliefs, which is by definition irrational.

I understand what they're all saying, though. It's still a really difficult thing to do. Most of my interactions with her don't involve politics.

It's easy for people in a forum to call out for someone else to cut out a friendship, when there's nothing at stake for them except signaling how committed and idelogically pure they are. Nobody can decide for you which is the best option in your case, which I would at least try to frame as the one likely to cause you the least pain overall.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing really to add to the thread, but I had never heard of truscum before and now am wiser about the nuances of the trans community.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand what they're all saying, though. It's still a really difficult thing to do. Most of my interactions with her don't involve politics.
I'd keep her in the periphery and stick to the non-political yarns as you're doing. If they're really your friend even if they disagree with you they'll respect your perspective. And when the time comes when she opens up a bit you can be there to point her in the right direction. It's what friends are for. We shouldn't immediately jump to isolating people if they're not hurting you.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

www.youtube.com

The Disappearance of Blaire White

The real joke is that she returned from her break hours before I uploaded this video. Anyway, use code "dangelo" to get $25 dollars off your pair of Vessi's ...

This video is very good at showing the problems of blaire white
i doubt SHE will see, but it is good for you to see to be able to counter her main points

...or the "tiffany tumbles" video

Last edited:

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm always looking to learn and grow. I don't know how to phrase this, but I guess I always assumed all trans folks have experienced gender dysphoria or they wouldn't be trans. I realize it isn't anyone's job to explain stuff to me, but I am curious.

edit: rereading my post several minutes later. Autocorrect fucked me on dysphasia vs dysphoria. Apologies if it frustrated anyone.

Last edited:

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017

Could be that she is associating with right-leaning people online( or offline) and probably adapting her views to fit in. People tend to want to be accepted and, in a group regardless of how dangerous they might be, the individual can be swept into that group because the group validated their views and feelings. I wouldn't listen to people to people that say to cut her out. It can make her situation far more worse, if she is that close to you.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
As long as your friend is not a member of the Republican party , she'll come to her senses

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
She's mentioned Blaire White as someone she watches which I think has similar views to what she's said.
And there we have it!

I really don't believe that cutting her out will solve the problem considering how recent she's gained these views.
At one point your own sanity might become more important than her views. Lot's of people suggest it already is. You might want to try and accept you can't change her and that cutting her out is the only option.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Show her some Blair White critiques.

(Sam Collins)

(D'Angelo Wallace)

Let's see her excuse herself after watching both those in full.
That's definitely a good idea. I haven't asked her about the latter, but it certainly seems the case. On January 6th she said that she just muted political topics in general and was just talking about other things right as we were all freaking out as the Capitol was being invaded. I just feel like she's being really selective about her beliefs and won't be open to the fact that they aren't what she thinks they are. I've tried to convince her otherwise in the past. She's also said that talking about her political leanings gives her a "headache".
She wants to deny the reality about ultra conservatives and white supremacists if she consciously avoided the Capitol coup attempt. She will keep finding it a headache because she can't keep the cognitive dissonance up anymore. She's gonna crack at some point because she can't avoid politics completely unless if she holes herself up in her room, not looking at her phone or computer, nor talking to anyone.

Oct 27, 2017
Changing people's views like this, the research shows, that its nearly impossible with a head one argumentative approach.

The best you'll probably do is curious open ended questions that ends up making them question what they believe themselves.

In the example above she said that Republicans must have some other reason for voting against the Equalities act, ask her what she thinks they are and try follow the rabbit (down the hole). It's a an interviewing technique but can be difficult. Curious open ended questions.

No harm in trying when stuff comes up, but I wouldnt make it your goal to change her views if you enjoy her company.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's worth poiting out you don't need to fix everyone opinions.

It's better probably for your mental sake.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I'm always looking to learn and grow. I don't know how to phrase this, but I guess I always assumed all trans folks have experienced gender dysphoria or they wouldn't be trans. I realize it isn't anyone's job to explain stuff to me, but I am curious.

edit: rereading my post several minutes later. Autocorrect fucked me on dysphasia vs dysphoria. Apologies if it frustrated anyone.

With dysphoria you can have a really strong dysphoria, no dysphoria, some dysphoria, dysphoria only after coming out, dysphoria when doing certain things and so on. It's complicated and depends from person to person. Dysphoria doesn't define you as a trans person, wanting to be your preferred gender does.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Your friend sounds like she's about a month a way from claiming that TERFs are right and that's she's not a real woman and that we should respect bio women's fears of trans women

The Transphobe's pet trans is a very real thing, and they're the absolute worst.

Run.

Small Red Boy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 9, 2019
I feel like this view is naive. Sometimes it is absolutely necessary to cut people out of your life for your own mental health. Did it occur to you that the other person may just be keeping the relationship going using the same logic that just maybe they can convince the other person someday to be transphobic? They see their view as right and only if the other person moves their way will they ever see progress made.

Sometimes two people are just never going to be on the same page. I would say, sure, put up a fight for a bit if you care for the person. But if you can see their views are not changing, and they remain a bigot, at some point you have to move on.

I would make this argument for family even, but, especially friends.
I don't know. I just wouldn't give up on a friendship without even trying and just cut straight to not seeing them again in my life. Obviosuly OPs mental health comes first for him, but I wouldn't recommend cutting someone from your life straight away. Specially since she is trans (OPs friend), and if only conservativces remain as her friends she is going to have a rough time.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Umm, have they seen anything from the "Freedom Caucus" made up of House of Representatives members going on about transphobic shit? They had a little press confernce just this past week.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
This doesn't directly relate to what I was talking about in the OP, but she tweeted that "raising minimum wage is such a stupid fucking idea, all that's gonna happen is that the value of a dollar is gonna go way down " and I debunked that idea in the replies. After that, she said that there wasn't an incentive to go to college and "you're acting braindead dude", which is just a ridiculous statement. No, you shouldn't have to go to college to get a survivable wage. I took it to DMs and she said "no thank you I don't feel like I'm informed enough for a proper debate but the arguments from the other side makes more sense to me". Then I asked what arguments, but she wouldn't say. I told her that it was ridiculous that you make that point without any argument to back it up and said her point was outdated. Right after, she just said "please fucking stop".

So yeah, it's going well. She doesn't want to listen to my arguments at all and she just told me to fucking stop. I didn't bring up the other things from this thread, but clearly she doesn't have an open mind...