• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I know that chiropractors are considered quacks and the science behind their technique consider unsound.

What do you feel about acupuncture? I am seeking treatment for a slipped disc in my lower back over the past year and my doctor at Kaiser wants to basically try various forms of treatment before we move on to the more elaborate solutions.

Currently I'm going to group acupuncture sessions. I'm very skeptical but I don't want to come across as disbelieving - but I've seen MRI images of my spine-and the tissue is being basically pinched which is causing my pain.

When I go into the group Accupuncture sessions (they want you to start with group before you move onto individual Accupuncture, if necessary) I'm sitting upright in a chair with about 10 other people. The acupuncturist then comes along and sticks 5 needles in each ear. Then we remain still and seated. The lights go out and soft music plays.

After 30 minutes the needles are removed and I'm on my way. And I feel...no change. I'm not clear on why I even would. I understand there are various blood vessels in my ears but how does that affect the spinal tissue in the lumbar area being pinched and producing intermittent pain?

Edit: here's a picture I sent my wife today from the session. My ears felt red hot.

iF9IGcXh.jpg

Last edited:

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
I tried this same ear one in rehab and it didn't do a thing for me either, however my roommate tried it and according him it helped him sleep

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm still not completely sure of what I think of it overall, but it seemed to help when I had it done last spring. I attended a course where they offered ear acupuncture, and would stick several small needles into each ear. I said no for a while but eventually tried it and actually liked it and felt a bit better afterwards.

A couple of the needles hurt and a couple also didn't stay for long, each time. The same ones would pop out and fall on the floor.

I don't know if it was a placebo effect that I was feeling, and have never done true acupuncture elsewhere, so I don't want to make a blanket judgement.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. I'm honestly starting to lump all TCM into the same bucket as tiger penis supplements.

The technician was saying to the room "how this works is there are all sorts of systems in your ear-there's a system connected to your hands, there's a system connected to your organs, etc.

Sounds a lot like reflexology to me. If reflexology is considered bullshit why isn't acupuncture?

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Like Chiropracty, there is some anecdotal evidence that suggests some very mild benefits, likely mostly placebo effect.

But if you actually read the theoretical mumbo jumbo they use about meridians and energy flows etc it's laughable.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
The technician was saying to the room "how this works is there are all sorts of systems in your ear-there's a system connected to your hands, there's a system connected to your organs, etc.

Sounds a lot like reflexology to me. If reflexology is considered bullshit why isn't acupuncture?

The most annoying thing to me is insurance will pay for me to go to a chiropractor, but not necessarily pay for massage...
One is based on made-up shit, the other on kinesiology/sports medicine...

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
The most annoying thing to me is insurance will pay for me to go to a chiropractor, but not necessarily pay for massage...
One is based on made-up shit, the other on kinesiology/sports medicine...

Yeah my insurance only covers a fraction of my ophthalmology appointments to monitor a lesion at the back of my eye yet offers significantly more coverage for quackery like homeopathy and acupuncture.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
It's completely bs. Though I remember the guy who I did it with was calming and the room/atmosphere was soothing. It works well as a stress reliever in that scenario.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
When I go into the group Accupuncture sessions (they want you to start with group before you move onto individual Accupuncture, if necessary) I'm sitting upright in a chair with about 10 other people. The acupuncturist then comes along and sticks 5 needles in each ear. Then we remain still and seated. The lights go out and soft music plays.

After 30 minutes the needles are removed and I'm on my way. And I feel...no change. I'm not clear on why I even would. I understand there are various blood vessels in my ears but how does that affect the spinal tissue in the lumbar area being pinched and producing intermittent pain?

That is not acupuncture. For real. It's more than just five needles in the ear.

If you want a recco, just give a shout. My SO knows a place in SF that's solid.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
If it worked, Pfizer/Bayer would have patented it and charged you thousands per session. That should tell you all you need to know.

Draconis

Oct 28, 2017
Considering that the acupuncture is not likely to cause issues and exacerbate things it cannot hurt for you to try since your doctor said to try other methods.

I would still however speak with a neurologist. A discectomy or laminectomy may be required if things are severe enough to pinch your nerves that badly.

Honestly, I personally would seek a neurologist's opinion myself as simply talking to them about the issue and possible remedies is likely to lead you to faster overall recovery in comparison to acupuncture.

VISION

Oct 25, 2017
Needling is just a different name for acupuncture. Placebos are a hell of a drug though.
Sort of, but not really. I'm a physical therapist but not one that practices or is particularly supportive of dry needling. However, dry needling isn't the same thing as acupuncture. Dry needling doesn't involve magical meridian lines from your ear to your organs. The needles go directly into the affected tissue.

Oct 27, 2017
I think PT will help a lot more, I have a slipped disk and it almost never bothers me, maybe once a year, and the only thing that helped me is exercise, getting your core stronger.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It seems hurt. Have you ever been stabbed by a needle? Thats how it feels only it stays inside your skin for minutes.