• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
never had an issue

i pay $60 a month through ATT and only a few years ago did they cap off my plan, and i called them to rage but they said i'm nowhere near my limit. no idea how that's humanly possible as i play online all the time with podcasts and youtubes going off in the background. but uh, whatever i guess

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Fortunately I don't have a cap, but that's because I'm on ATTs gigabit plan. I'm sure it'll come eventually...

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Fortunately I don't have a cap, but that's because I'm on ATTs gigabit plan. I'm sure it'll come eventually...
When AT&T gigabit internet arrived in my area as a "neighborhood test," I specifically asked about data caps before I signed up with them and dude said "We don't have one now because when we tried it in the past people overwhelmingly rejected it."

I guess, I mean what does he as some sales dude really know though, right? I still thought he was alright because we somehow got on the topic of Sea of Thieves and talked about it for like 10 minutes (I say "we" but it was mainly him, he was clearly really into the game, this was like a little over a year ago).

I'd be really upset if they implemented a cap, because I'm not sure if I'd switch back. I was paying like... 33% more than what I'm paying for now with gigabit and getting way less speed (I think it was 200mbs) with my old ISP.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I have gigabit down and do not have a data cap. I feel for those that have limitations though considering a couple years ago I was stuck with 50GB cap and terrible speeds using satellite internet (had unlimited from 2AM to 7AM... seriously wtf).

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've nearly always had data caps every since I was first connected to the internet on a 14.4k baud modem (well actually, back in those days there weren't caps, you just paid for whatever data/time you used).....its all about management and utilising tools which are available to you. Currently I am on a 600GB/mth cap and I honestly do not get anywhere near to that

I have a desktop widget which I can glance at showing my usage and if I have a heavy month it's all about prioritising what you need and what you can do without....which is how I've always managed it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Hitting my data cap was never an issue before I got a 4k TV plus Game Pass. I had to do away with the 4k Netflix option because it drained my data way too fast, and also disabled auto updates on my One X. Crazy how quickly just the auto update data adds up when you have 20+ games on there.

I miss no data caps :/

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Lately I've been backing up my Steam games to an external drive. It comes in handy what with all the Linux distro hopping.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
It keeps me from buying games on pc most of the time. I'm wanting to buy doom 2016 and prey, but my data cap is so low I would essentially be paying money to download them. My friend wants me to get Rainbow Six Siege to play together, but the download is over 1/3 of my cap.

My cap is 150GB btw.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah so I used to be all physical then and I would set an alarm at 2AM to take updates, praying it would be completed prior to the cutoff. I can look back and laugh now at least, lol.
Man, that's rough. Glad you're not in that situation anymore.

Hopefully sometime in the future we all can look back and laugh at this data cap nonsense.