• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No matter how right you are, no matter what you say or show them. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when you live with someone like that.

Nov 9, 2017
Marry them.... just kidding, you can't really discuss things with someone who refuses to acknowledge anyone else point of view.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're sitting in an unlocked cage too afraid to open the door and leave, OP.

Toxic people aren't worth it.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
There are some people who have a very hard time saying "I was wrong" or "I am sorry that I ______." That doesn't mean they don't know they were wrong, or that they aren't sorry. It is still frustrating, but at the same time, it's more important that people act as thought they were wrong than that they say it.

There's a flip side to this, in that some people seem to require you to say "I was wrong" or "you were right" in order to validate themselves. That is also very frustrating.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Ignore them. No point trying to argue with someone who can't accept they are wrong.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend is like this when she's under the slightest amount of stress, it can be frustrating to watch someone double and quadruple down on positions or attitudes that any sane person can clearly see will hurt them and those around them in the long term. It ends up being the self inflicted downfall of every stubborn person I know.

I'm sure this thread is going to be filled with your typical "just move on" takes but I'd like to recommend talking to people like this as if you're genuinely working in their best interest and trying to explain how their situation will worsen by continuing to be obtuse/stubborn. If you're forced to deal with situations like this then framing the topic as something worth compromising on in a way that makes it sound like they're getting a good deal can sometimes crack through their thick skulls.

Might not be applicable for all individuals or situations but I've had success with it in spots.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Passive-aggressively needle them whenever the subject comes up over the following several months until they either 1)murder you, or 2)break down into tears and admit you were right.

Ignoring them is probably the safest thing to do, though.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
There are certainly a few ways to 'prove' you're right but the thing is, if we're talking marriage or a LTR, it could be a Pyrrhic victory.

Even if you can squeak out a begrudging acknowledgment of your correctness, it will come with a mountain of resentment.

It's definitely annoying but you have to decide if the headache of 'winning' is worth it*.

*Editor's Note: It's usually not worth it.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Met only a few people like that in my life. A younger me tried to debate them... older me just agrees with them a bit too enthusiastically. Its amusing to see how far I can take it

Oct 25, 2017
Are we talking not being able to admit they're wrong in a "Matt Damon wasn't in the MCU" way or are we talking not being able to admit they're wrong in a "I'm clearly in the wrong and acting like a dick, but I absolutely refuse to own up to it and say sorry."

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I won't change my mind. You can't change my mind 'cause I'm an American. I won't change my mind on anything regardless of the facts set forth before me. I'm dug in, and I'll never change.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I don't deal with them if possible. Lived my entire life with someone like that. Not trying to deal with that through someone else.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
No matter how right you are, no matter what you say or show them. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when you live with someone like that.
get rid of them? I had a friend circle where about half if not more were like this. It was exhausting, I stopped talking to them though for a multitude of reasons.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm working with someone like that. I yelled at her to admit that she was wrong for once and I don't think it accomplished anything, but it felt good. At first, in the days following our argument, I could tell she was trying to find a "gotcha!" by catching me making a mistake, except every time she thought I did, she was wrong, so she stopped. We're sitting at different desks now and we're keeping our discussions to a minimum and it's going well.

So, depends on your relationship with the person, but if you can't change them, adding some distance and limiting communication is the only way.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Elect them President of the United States of America, apparently.