• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about the news of an incoming switch revision?

• It makes me mad - I just got one/I should have waited!

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • I'm glad I got in early and got to play the new games as they came out.

Votes: 57 50.4%
  • As long as it's more powerful or improved, I'll buy it - the switch is underpowered IMO.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • As long as it's smaller/sleeker, I'll buy it - the switch is too big, IMO.

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • I'm glad I waited, I haven't got one yet and I'll wait for the revision.

Votes: 14 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Now that we know something is in the works and we'll see it in about a year, there's bound to be a few opinions from those who picked up a Switch in 2017 and more recently in 2018, as well as those who have held off so far.

Are you angry it's getting a revision two years on, or did you expect this and enjoy getting in early? If you've held off, are you happy you did or do you wish you jumped in earlier?

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I don't expect a serious revision like the Pro or X.

Better battery life and cheaper to produce, not a great deal more.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I expected.

I also don't see a switch pro ever working because it would just consume more battery and there isn't a place to go in this side.... so I doubt it will change much for any switch owners right now

The modular idea of the system also goes against a switch lite or xl so I am really not thinking how it can be anything big

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I feel that there's too many threads about it.

And that people are expecting way too much about it.

Oct 25, 2017
The rumor is mid to late next year which could be nearly 3 years.
PS4 did something similar with the pro, tho Xbox waited longer

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what the revision is. If it's a "Switch Lite" I don't really care. If it's a "Switch Pro" I'll probably be a little PO'd, lol.

Firecrest

Oct 28, 2017
It's Nintendo, and they're most likely aiming to replace the 3DS with Switch as its handheld successor. A revision was pretty much inevitable.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i am seething never in my life i have heard of newer versions of hardware i own being developed i will sue these motherfuckers they won't get away with it trust me on this one

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i am seething never in my life i have heard of newer versions of hardware i own being developed i will sue these motherfuckers they won't get away with it trust me on this one

I know this is sarcasm but there's some poor people who legitimately think like this. (And others who bought one the day before the news and likely feel jipped - either rightfully or not)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
It's whatever to me.

Pro or lite type revisions. Doesn't matter. I don't regret buying my switch when I did.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've had a blast with my Switch since launch. Zero ragrets even if they upgrade the internals next year.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Expected, because I don't predict it to be significant. Nintendo has, on average, released some kind of revision of their portable hardware within a 2 - 3 year bracket of the original release. Portable refreshers are extremely common from Nintendo, often reducing form factor, increasing battery life, expanding screen area, and/or making changes that remix the device to appeal to an alternative demographic. Nintendo could, for example, create a Switch Lite aimed exclusively at portable play that removes the dock, reduces screen size, and targets a demographic that wants a smaller, more portable system.

I'm not fussed. I can understand people being upset and feeling "cheated" or whatever out of launch investment, but that's life, that's capitalism, that's the market, and that's the standard Nintendo has set. Investing in a launch build does not warrant having the best of something. Your reward for early investment is 2+ years of play time that those who waited do not get. Portable refreshers are the status quo.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Feels a bit soon and none of these options reflect how I feel. If the revision is good, I'll get it, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the current Switch model.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean all I'm expecting is that it might have a slightly better battery and in which case I wouldn't care for it.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's just as silly of an argument as when the Pro and Xbox One X came out. This is the new way of console revisions to keep the system's life cycle running longer without restarting your playerbase. It's why I think the PS5 and Xbox Next is going to have such a hard time, moving away from so many users to restart is always risky.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Is still year+ away and has given plenty of quality time already. I'm more worried about my recent RTX 2080 purchase.

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Bought my switch last year, I'm happy they are making a revision but I doubt I'll buy it unless they improve it greatly.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does this require a new topic? Doesn't the existing topic about the Switch revision basically only consist of posts about how people feel about it? Seeing as there isn't really much actual information to discuss yet.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's a lovely device. Mine has collected some dust here and there. Har har. But I'm happy to have it. I'll probably let this revision go by and wait for the next one.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Give me Switch Mini sans joycons plus dpad, I'll be a happy man. I don't give rats ass about local multiplayer.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
I still doubt it exists because I really don't see how the Switch can be changed beyond power improvements, which I think it might be too soon for.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I ain't even mad, if it does have a better screen then I'm definitely gonna buy that thing.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why does this require a new topic? Doesn't the existing topic about the Switch revision basically only consist of posts about how people feel about it? Seeing as there isn't really much actual information to discuss yet.

I'd argue that other threads are more about what tech the new switch will use or what it should use, and less about how owners and buyers feel about the timing/possibilities.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Love m Switch and if it's the type of revision I expect I'll be happy. If they go more powerful, I'm expecting games that were subnative in undocked mode to be native, or very close and in docked mode I expect they will be closer to 1080p. I'm not expecting a bump to PS4 levels and I'm not expecting any exclusives for now.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Perfectly satisfied with my launch Switch and glad I bought when I did. On the off-chance the revision is a "Pro" model with increased specs, I'll probably sell or give away my Switch and buy the new one.

VAPORxDYNE

Oct 27, 2017
Considering how pissed some shitty people were that the 3DS was still getting games instead of just being killed off by Nintendo, I'm not surprised at the shitty attitude some people have towards the potential for a new revision of the Switch. They're going to have like 2+ years of playtime on that thing before the revision, which is pretty good. If it's not a huge upgrade then there's no issue and if it is then just sell your switch and pay the difference if you care so much about a performance boost. I honestly think it's just people not wanting to feel like they have the lesser version of a product and would therefore prefer that the entire market get stuck with it for as long as possible too.

Personally, I'd be hype for an improved/more powerful switch being bundled with the upcoming Fire Emblem so that I can get a new switch and have a cool design on it too. It'd be cool if it ran games at a higher resolution or with less of a range on dynamic resolution, but I doubt it'll be like that. Nobody is buying Nintendo hardware for state of the art graphics or 60fps at all times. The power just isn't there to keep even 1st party games at 1080p60fps and some revision isn't gonna change that because Nintendo knows that it's consumer base doesn't care enough to get mad about it.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with it. It's 2018 now, not 1983. It's time for a new hardware setup IMO, especially for a device that is portable in this day and age you need to refresh the hardware often to keep it relevant.

There should be lots of Switch models with significant upgrades every couple of years IMO and the software ecosystem should grow and strengthen around that.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Perfectly satisfied with my launch Switch and glad I bought when I did. On the off-chance the revision is a "Pro" model with increased specs, I'll probably sell or give away my Switch and buy the new one.

Same here - i actually planned for a revision when I bought my switch and factored it into the cost, knowing I'd likely sell mine to buy the next version.

That said, I do hope it's an improvement like the 3DS line got from 3DS > 3DS XL > New 3DS XL rather than a slimming down like the 3DS > 2DS etc.

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looking forward to it if it's a beefy upgrade

Looking forward to it even if its not

/Nintendofanboy :(

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really expecting a PS4 -> PS4 Pro upgrade so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I want an option for "As long as it's more powerful or improved, I'll buy it - I'll love it even more!"

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had planned to buy a second one and bequeath my current one to my wife for Animal Crossing from the start, so this works out just swimmingly for me. If I hadn't planned on shelling out for a second one already I'd probably be a little cheesed though.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought this fucking thing

I love it, but i dont want to see a much more powerful version that might get exclusive releases :(

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What popular portable electronic product can stay static for years anyway? You have to refresh in this day and age to keep your product relevant, it's simply the way things work.

Even the 3DS' changes are too modest. They need to get bigger than that or you're not going to get the types of sales numbers Nintendo wants.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
There's going to be a lot of outrage when it's a cheaper, smaller form factor rather than the 4K Mega Ultra Switch people seem to want.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
No problems here at all! I bought the Switch day one and have loved every second of it. If there is a revision that makes it more powerful, then yes I'll gladly upgrade. It would have been about two years and I'm okay with that. Honestly, I expected a revision this year because I know that Nintendo sometimes does that.

If it makes it smaller or is just an appearance change, then I'll stick with my old Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.