• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love reading One Piece, but the oda thread about the ending had me thinking, with people saying that they feel OP will in about 6 or 10 years more.

that is a fucking long long time, and even tho how i said i love reading one piece, i really feel for all those people who wont be there at the end, i mean, maybe i wont be there at the end, and that honestly scares me and dissapoints me because i want to see the ending.

even tho this op is kinda focused on OP feel free to talk about other series, like game of thrones and the like

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i could be investing time into better things. as a rule i won't watch anything with more than 5 seasons because how i met your mother burned me. dedicating an entire season to a wedding that ended with divorce immediately after was bullshit.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
It depends on the show. One Piece for example isn't overstaying it's welcome, the world was constantly build and there is just no feasible to make it a lot shorter in my opinion without compromising something, which I wouldn't like at all. On the other hand we got shows like Dexter where there wasn't any need for 8 seasons. Honestly One Piece wouldn't be anywhere near as good if you cut too much. Arlong Park was amazing because it had 14 whole episodes, Nami's story just wouldn't have been interessting to me if you'd given it half an episode. So I think long shows are good, they need to be build for it though.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Hajime no Ippo seems to have done a semi reset 1100+ chapters in!!! It's been going on for nearly 30 years and the mangaka will be turning 53 next week... I'm sure people might've died before seeing the end of this manga...hopefully George will be healthy enough to continue as well.

One Piece and Hajime mo Ippo are great reads until you catch up...

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan. I prefer them to end and be seen and judged as a complete work. Rather than meandering on for cash cow purposes until their viewership gets so low they end on a whimper.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Depends of the story being told. As long as the characters are interesting and the overall story is still moving forward to some conclusion, I don't might series taking a long time to end.

Detective Conan is an example where it has overstayed its welcome to me. The overarching plot moves at a snail's pace and the murder mystery after murder mystery has gotten stale.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with a lengthy book or a series that takes a long time to create. I do have a problem with a lot of series being set into perpetual motion for monetary gain; I feel like that hinders story telling and creates contrivances to keep a meandering plot from a proper and well structured conclusion.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Theoretically, so long as the series in question is enjoyable and has a concept/premise that merits it taking (or potentially taking) a long time to end, I don't mind. Like Agents of SHIELD, a quality show, is getting a 6th and 7th season, and I love that show, so I'm all for that. In comparison, The Walking Dead also has a premise that allows it to go on for as long as the showrunners want it to, but the quality just ain't there anymore, so I dropped it. Ultimately, my general rule is that the longer a series goes on, then it's all the more imperative it is that it ends well. I put a lot of stock in how a series ends.

For One Piece in particular, as long as it doesn't become a Berserk/HxH/GRRM situation, where the hiatuses and delayed output make you genuinely worried if it'll ever get past the current arc or storyline, much less being able to finish the series itself, that's fine too. Neither is it like stuff like Detective Conan, where it is blatantly getting dragged out in such a superficial way. I'm young, so I'm not worried about being alive by the time it ends lol, but I do have reasonable concerns about the author's health. I don't like to think about it too much though, doesn't really benefit me to dwell on stuff like that.

Oct 26, 2017
It really doesn't matter for me.
If the story is still good and engaging, it's not a bad thing. Even if there's a chance that you might not ever get to see an ending, I think it's better to experience something you really enjoy regardless.

OP
OP
Gustaf

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It really doesn't matter for me.
If the story is still good and engaging, it's not a bad thing. Even if there's a chance that you might not ever get to see an ending, I think it's better to experience something you really enjoy regardless.

well that is a very good point indeed. as long as you enjoyed everything is cool.

also a lot of people touched to topic of the quality, and they are right, if a series you follow drops its quality in a very steep way it is much easier to drop it, this made me think that if the creators and authors are really good, they could do a lot more of stories equally interesting and good. so thats kinda bums me out

i mean Oda probably will be done with manga at a large scale after One Piece, it would have been cool see other works from him

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
If the quality is there then I don't care at all.

I use to share this opinion but funnily enough, Anime/shows with as much history as One Piece, I just can't -- my interest wanes and changes as the years go on. Even if the quality remains consistent (which hardly EVER the case for a lot shows/series). Aside from Conan the Detective (which I put on moreso for background noise when studying or whatever). And now that I think about it, it REALLY depends. But in One Pieces defense, I'm just not a fan, I tried to give a fair shake. There is too much there and very little I like about the show, but surprisingly I do like the films, Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island in particular.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I typically prefer things to be of a more ... digestible length, but my favorite series ever is The Dark Tower and that's seven books, all monsters. I also adore Sandman and that's a pretty hefty comic book series--12 trades. Sometimes a story just needs a lot of words.

But odds are I'll avoid it unless it's REALLY fucking hyped.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Keep going as long as there is no decrease in quality. Also have a good ending in mind and work up to it. Animes are terrible at endings.