• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How do you feel about weapon durability in games?

• Like it

Votes: 56 6.7%
  • Dislike

Votes: 438 52.5%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 340 40.7%

• Total voters

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
It's not a problem if it's barely noticeable. I can't remember the last it's bothered me in a game. Ds2? But I try to forget that game as much as possible so who can remember?

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
The BotW durability complaints always seemed so weird. Do you hate when you use up ammo in a shooter, too? The weapons are meant to be used in a fight, because you get weapons in return, and the more you fight the better weapons that show up.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I typically dislike it.

I tolerated it in BotW but I do think it's way too harsh. A weapon passed down generations shouldn't break in a few dozen swings. I understand that the mechanic is there to keep you from sticking to the same few weapons the whole game, but I do think things break too fast. Still loved the game, though.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked throwing near-broken weapons in BotW to deal extra damage. That was fantastic.

I don't like it in Witcher 3.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Weapon durability is garbage in almost all cases. A major annoyance.

I can sort of see how the "feature" is justified in Breath of the Wild, where you're constantly picking up and discarding weapons. But in a game like The Witcher 3 or Skyrim, exactly what am I supposed to get out of babysitting my weapons and armor with dull, repetitive upkeep just to keep their stats up?

I don't play video games for simulated defects. I play to have fun with good mechanics.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's either so bad it ruins a game, BoTW, or they know it annoys players and make it take so long it doesn't matter, soulsborne, it's just a dumb concept and bad game design and needs to be done away with.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Currently I'm playing Dark Souls 3(my first souls game) and all equipments have durability. The thing is: I'm near the end of the game and my equipment was never near breaking. Actually it never decreased to 50% of durability because Bonfire regenerates it. I wonder what was the point of it.

On the other side we had BOTW where weapon breaking is a nuisance that makes you want to avoid combat, a problem Zelda never had before. To make things worst the game had the genius idea of making you use your inventory in the middle of a fight to choose a new weapon.

Those are the last two I played with this system but my opinion is also negative about TW3, Skyrim, Diablo.... I could never understand it's appeal and I wonder why modern game design have this obsession with weapon durability.

Is it just me or does it bother you people too?
Legit Dark Souls 3 was the first game that came to mind for me (I'm nearing the end of my platinum trophy run). It's meaningless in this game, while it had a real impact on DS1 since bonfires didn't regen weapon durability. You had to either go to a Smith or buy a repair kit, and either way you went you had to spend souls to repair gear. It mattered. And iirc if something actually broke, you had to take it to a Smith no matter what. In 143 hours of dark souls 3, I haven't had a single piece of gear break.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Awful. Are there any games that use it correctly? 99% of the time it feels like busy work.

Maybe Minecraft got it right?

Radrigal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it is a central mechanic and the whole game is built around it, its okay. I would rather be without it, but I can still enjoy it for what it is.

If its tacked on as a last minute "feature", it sucks.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW is largely considered one of the greatest games of all time and the weapon durability was such a nuisance that I burned out on the game before even reaching the first real temple and never played it again. To give you an idea of how much I am willing to put up with, I have completed NARC, yes the bargain bin GTA clone with Bill Bellamy and I could not finish BOTW because the weapon system is an abhorrent chore.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Usually hate it. One of the big reasons that BotW is my least favorite 3D Zelda and the only one I'll *never* replay.

I've never actually "liked" it in anything. I either tolerate it in stuff like more recent Souls where it doesn't really matter or it actively makes the game worse like in Zelda.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Now I remembered where it annoyed me a lot. Far Cry 2!
Guns were breaking waaay to fast, and you had not many of them. But otherwise I would have liked it.

And there are definitely some games where I thought it was implemented very well, or being an important part of the design, setting, balance etc.

Dead Rising
Dying Light
Breath of the Wild
Death Stranding
Monster Hunter
Condemned

They all did it in a good way, in my opinion.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make a weapon less efficient, but dont break it.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls is weird as durability was mostly a non factor in DS2, and Miyazaki (allegedly) tried to rectify that in DS3 and it was even less of a factor

it's just a really hard mechanic to toe the line. like 90% of games just can't get it right, and when they do it's ultimately redundant. but i try to be open minded about every game that presents it

not trying to "catch the zeitgeist" here but Death Stranding is a case example of how to incorporate degradation. that said it's a very weird fucking game so it's mostly by happenstance, it wouldn't be an easy example to follow
Don't certain weapons in Dark Souls 1&2 use up durability as a sort of "ammo" for their special R2 attacks?

Grayson

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Keeps me from playing current Zelda. So I'd say I hate it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Don't mind it. It's used well in BotW. The game throws a fuckton of the same weapons at you anyways as you progress so no point getting too attached. Best to just fuck about with the shit you do have and get into the mindset of using the weapons of enemies against them. Link is the real weapon. Game's combat opens up way more that way. By the time you're done, you should have a fuckton of Royal Claymores, Ancient Weapons and Crushers dropping regularly to burn through.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I actually like the BotW implementation better than most others. I'm still not sure I'd say I LIKE it, but I understand why it has to be there, and I appreciate that it's more meaningful than the usual "make sure you click repair every now and then!" busywork.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Dislike it for the most part, I just never really use my best stuff if doing so will destroy it. If I can just repair my weapons or get so many it doesn't matter, I'd rather just not have to deal with durability at all.
Though I like it or when you have very limited ammo and supplies in survival or horror games, only exception really.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I usually dislike weapon durability in games but oddly didn't mind it in BOTW, probably because the game keeps throwing weapons at you so it's never really an issue.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I said it depends. BOTW is a shining example of it done well, though. Fuck the haters.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't say I ever liked the weapon durability mechanic, but to be honest I don't mind it.

There's so many weapons lying around in BOTW that running out of weapons is rarely a problem. This really only happens if you stumble upon and decide to fight a big boss monster unprepared. The durability mechanic at least forces you to use a variety of weapons.

In the Fire Emblem series, weapons are readily available and some games allow you to repair them, so I don't feel like weapon durability was ever a problem. It basically forces you to save your super-powerful, low-durability weapons for the bosses.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Like most things in games it depends. In my experience it amounts to very little in the games it's in or I just tend to play in a style that has me finishing the game with repair kits coming out my arse. Had so much weapon and armour parts in The Outer Worlds it was silly. Same with The Witcher 3 - had repair kits stored in my chest as I had so many. Can't think of a game where it didn't become negligible really. So I see why they do it - you pay attention to it at the start but, assuming you can fix weapons in the game, it becomes nothing.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I understand durability as a gold sink in MMOs, but besides that I've never seen an implementation of it that I enjoyed or thought it made the game better.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I hate it. It is not fun. Get rid of it from my game. That and encumberance.

At the very least, give us the option to turn them off and on so role players can still have them.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
I actually enjoy durability in most games (same with mechanics like encumbrance, inventory management, etc). It's usually there for balancing purposes and to encourage you to use weapons in the right situation. It's great in BOTW and fire emblem. Heck I kinda liked it in Dark Souls 2 where they added tools that can either damage your durability or repair it on the fly. Some special moves even use up durability iirc. Honestly durability is way too generous and not punishing in most games.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Depends on the game. Absolutely hated in Breath of the Wild, but didn't hate it in Witcher 3. It could be annoying, but I liked a bit of the role playing aspect where you had to repair and sharpen weapons after heavy use.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I love it, it's immersive and it made me want to take care of my shit.
It gives in-game item weight, makes them more believable. It makes me not want to hit any wall or rocks with my sword, as you would if you ever used a camping knife to start a fire, you know you want to keep the edge away from hard wood or rocks.

I love degradation in pretty much every game, Dark Souls, Fallout, BOTW, Death Stranding etc. It gives in-game objects LIFE, it makes me treat them like real objects. It makes me want to minimize unnecessary wear, it also forces to me bring extra weapon or gadgets in case my main one breaks, which makes the gameplay deeper and more interesting.

Seriously, If you don't like that, just mod it out or play a different game. No point calling it a bad design just because you're not into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

SpaceUI

Oct 31, 2017
I don't like it generally, specially if it's too often it becomes obnoxious. I rarely find it adding anything to a game, since most of the time you just need to get yourself to a workshop and click something for it to be repaired, so what's the point? If the weapons are discardable, you end up with a lot of junk if you don't pay a lot of attention to what you're bringing or not.

supra

Oct 30, 2017
RDR2 did it the right way, did not like it in BotW especially with sparse repair options.

Oct 28, 2017
In Dark Souls 2 and I liked it since; it had me manage my inventory during long level progressions/boss fights, added the <end> command for certain gameplay loops.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it, but I tolerate it when it's present. It's annoying when I'm about to head into a duty in FF14 and realize my gear is close to dead.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
This thread is like art imitating life: your stuff is the most important thing.

Seriously, though, I think it was one of the highlights of BotW, made the game a bit more tactical and made you try different weapons

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the game but I'd say 75% of the time I heavily dislike it and just use trainers or mods to get rid of it and it has ALWAYS made the game more enjoyable for me.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In some roguelikes and hardcore survivals I can live with it. In "normal" games like BOTW it's just annoying to me.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
BoTW's application is pretty much gun ammo. I have no problem with it. Durability in Dark Souls is pretty meaningless though, it's just souls upkeep on a bonfire. Durability is a must have mechanic in sandbox games as a economy sink and let average armor be useful by the fact everything eventually degrades and they are cost efficient.

Oct 24, 2019
The only, ONLY, time it has EVER been anything other than an annoyance is in Fallout 3 (and probably NV too, can't remember).

It suits that world very well where everything is in decay and has to be cobbled together. Plus, the fact that you take duplicates of the same weapon to use their parts for repairs is just logical and I'm surprised other games haven't copied it. It helps you cut down on inventory bloat, it makes you really consider when/how to use rarer weapons, and it just makes sense.